Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #14

Good morning girls. Sameo, sameo weather for us. We were supposed to get rain but never did last night. Who knows what today will bring.

Jack should be leaving in about half an hour as he has the first appointment of the day. Hopefully it won't take him too long. His hand is really hurting him this morning.

My stuff from QVC should be here today. I hope I like it as I hate sending things back, but I hate trying stuff on in the store more so I buy online. I try not to buy sweaters that are very heavy as I get hot even in the winter. I have a couple of them that are pretty heavy and rarely wear them.

Jean: Clutter drives me nuts for some reason and the condo just does not have storage since the garage leaks so badly and the roof on and off for the attic. I noticed the tree branches are dipping over the roof and am going to have to mention it to that idiot who runs the management company. He probably won't do anything about it. When do the kids start back to school? I saw on FB two teens were found dead behind a building the day they were supposed to start school I think it was GA. Thomas starts next week and I don't know about Jackson. What things are the kids going to be involved with this year? They are somehow stalling Thomas for his Eagle, but I hope he gets it this fall.

Everyone have a good day today
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! The sun finally came out this afternoon and the humidity is climbing. The air conditioner is humming along, thank goodness. I ran a couple errands this morning and found a 2017 calendar. It's not spiral bound so not sure if I will like it as well. I/we have several birthdays in August and early September so stopped at the Hallmark shop. I refuse to pay $5.00 for a card that will most likely get thrown away. I have cleaned off the counters, baked a dozen refrigerator cookies, and now have a load of laundry in the washer.

"Gma," I will be curious as to how Jack came out with his doctor's appointment. Will he have to work until he has the surgery or can the doctor give him a medical leave of some sort? I hope the new QVC clothes fit and you like them. Ian will be playing his saxophone and football, Maddy decided to stick with the flute and play fall soccer, Kolby is playing the violin and maybe a band instrument but hasn't decided if he's playing fall soccer, and Zowie is playing fall soccer and wants to play a band instrument after she hears them play. I have asked but don't remember when school starts for them. I think the scouts can still become an Eagle when they are 18. At least they could when Jason was in scouts but that's been a long time ago.

I have another drawer to sort through so better keep moving. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day and evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #3  

Good afternoon. It is very hot with a heat index 107. We got our utility bill today and it was $232. We have been running AC's none stop though so not surprising. I can't stand being hot.

I ordered a neck pillow from sleep number to see if I like it. I have 30 days to try it out. We have a couple for the car but they're corduroy and too hot to use this time of year. The sleep number are supposedly softer and cooler fabric. My head sweats something fierce when I sleep and sleeping inclined the regular pillows flatten out and slide down.

I washed all my qvc stuff and hung or laid it to dry. Not too keen on the slit in the maxi skirt but the fabric is nice and cool and not clingy. It was hot trying the sweaters on though.

Jean: Jack came home and said the surgeon has to get an ok from the cardiologist that Jack's heart is strong enough for anesthesia and hopefully they'll hear by tomorrow as they faxed the letter over yesterday. He is going to do the long 4 hour procedure. Yes, Jack will work up until the day of surgery. His boss has been nice about giving him easier stuff to work on as much as he can. Thomas Eagle has something to do about the project itself. I have never been clear about what he is doing exactly, but hopefulky he can complete it soon. Sounds like grandma and grandpa are going to be busy traveling up and down the roads to the kid's schools. My younger sister has 8 grandkids and one due in Oct. Two live in Southern Ca, 6 live in Houston and the one due will live in Phoenix where they live. I'm with you about the cruise. Jack desperately wants to do a Panama Canal cruise but I have no interest in it. It is expensive and on the small ships so lots less to do. His big thing is he's sailed through all the canals except Panama while in the Navy and wants to do them all. Sounds boring to me! 😊

Everyone have a good afternoon.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:54 PM   #4  

Good Evening! The temperature wasn't all that high today but it is so humid. It's miserable outside. I was Mrs. Homemaker this morning and got quite a bit done. Mostly just little things but did get birthday cards addressed and ready to mail for the month. I had an auxiliary board meeting this afternoon. As I was leaving I went by the gift shop to pick up an invoice to pay and found a whole cart full of boxes that had just even delivered. I pulled the invoices and came home to write checks to take back tomorrow. I hope all the merchandise is ok because I am paying bills before the buyers check things in. Moving is going to be a challenge finding everything. Bob got home late this afternoon. Now he's asleep on the couch.

"Gma," I am ready for some cooler weather, not cold, just cooler. I'll bet you are too. Four hours is a long time to sit and wait during Jack's surgery. Do you have anyone who could be with you? All I know about the Eagle project is the troop members help work on and complete it. There is a ceremony too, with cake, punch, etc., it is a big deal. I don't think I could keep up with more than four grandkids' activities. My calendar is a mess now, with schedule changes, etc. I think I found the cruise and the only stop I remember is Aruba. I would like to go on the cruise to Alaska but I know the one couple has done that one.

I need to unload the dishwasher and look through the mail. For some reason I am tired tonight and bed is going to be early. Hope you all enjoy a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 08-03-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Another humid day here and already pretty darn warm. Like Jean, I am ready for some cooler weather. I noticed Lake City Florida was only 77 yesterday. That is one of the cities we stop in for the night when we go to Florida for a cruise. Seventy-seven sounds heavenly.

I have my eye appointment tomorrow afternoon and I hope I can get stronger contacts, especially my right eye, which has the cataract. It is totally blurry. I think my headaches are caused by heat and my eyes at the moment. I have to pay for my eye appointment as I don't want to change to a new doctor and the city changed plans and she is no longer in network. I get a whole $45 dollars back from $120, but at least I get some. I can go across he street to Target and order my contacts. I am allowed $150 so will buy just enough to cover that amount then order them online as they are about $20 a box cheaper. I also have a coupon so I can get 4 boxes with no tax and free shipping for $176. This will give me more than a years worth with the others and give me some cushion is one gets lost or torn or something like that. If my cataract is bad enough for surgery, it will have to wait until the end of the year when I go back to my regular doctor for refills and A1C testing. I have to have a referral and I am not making an appointment just to get a referral for eye surgery so I will get it when I am there for other stuff.

Crab cakes for Jack and shrimp for me for dinner. I am deciding what else I want to go along with it.

Looks like my stuff from Penneys should be here today. Hopefully my shoes fit. I know the bras will and the other thing is a new wallet. It is big, but I can put everything including my checkbook and my phone in it so it makes it more convenient. I don't write checks anywhere outside bill paying though. I just use my bank card.

Jean: No, I will be alone. I don't know anyone here and Kelly isn't speaking to me pretty much and I wouldn't ask her anyhow. I will be fine. I will take my knitting and my Ipad to read and usually I find someone to talk to while sitting there. I don't know if they will do it at the hospital or one of the surgery centers since it is outpatient. I'll probably get myself a couple muffins and take my drink glass I bought recently and will be ok. I am torn between which I would prefer for Jack. The hospital would be better for an emergency situation, but the clinic would be better for me walking. I imagine we will go with the clinic as Jack had both his knees done at them and was fine. Yes, the Eagle is a big deal. They send out invitations and everything. I know because my nephew was an Eagle scout. Thomas has decided to leave scouting after he gets his Eagle. He says once you become an Eagle you really don't get to do anything except tell younger scouts what to do and it isn't as much fun. He can go camping with his dad by themselves if they want to camp.

Well I guess I should get my day started. Hope everyone has a nice Thursday.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! Another very humid day in my corner of the world. It's only 84 degrees but feels like 95, not nice outside. I went to have my nails filled first thing this morning. There were two cars already there and I was 15 minutes early. I was in and out in a half hour; I was in no hurry so it didn't matter but the other two wanted pedicures. I went to the grocery store mainly to pick up taco ingredients for lunch. I ran into a retired teacher who wanted to visit and I forgot the hamburger. I hadn't made a list thinking I could remember meat, shells, etc. This afternoon I went to the historical museum hoping to find some information on a famous opera conductor who was born here in 1921. There is a room full of old local newspapers, yearbooks, etc., and it smells very musty. I am supposed to give a program on him in a few days. There was no information on him and we couldn't find him in the yearbooks. I had googled him so had birth and death dates, plus a list of operas I can't begin to pronounce. The program will be short and sweet! Bob is out mowing right now. I tried to talk him into waiting until the cold front moves in but he wanted to get it done.

"Gma," do your bifocal lenses move so the bifocal part is on the top or side sometimes? That is the problem I had when I tried them years ago. Mine aren't soft so maybe that was my problem. Anyhow, they didn't work at all trying to read music. I hope Jack gets the ok from his cardiologist without having to make another appointment. The waiting to get it done has to be the worst part. If I lived there, I would keep you company during Jack's surgery. Did the order from Penneys get delivered ok? What kind of shoes did you order?

Guess I maybe can be thinking about something to eat. I should have gone back to the store for the hamburger! Maybe Bob will offer to cook tonight meaning we will eat out. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening and keep cool!

Last edited by Jean; 08-04-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. I noticed it is now dark when Jack leaves for work so the days are getting shorter little by little. It is 80 degrees here already and they said it is supposed to be 98 with a very high heat index. My appointment isn't until 2:30 so it is going to be hot going for sure. I think Jack is just going to meet me at Raffertys for dinner since it is in a strip shopping area right in front of where my eye doctor is. I will then go to Target, which is behind the restaurant and order my contacts.

I hope Jack has an easy day of it today. One of the pumps blew up yesterday and he and another electrician had to work down in the pump room. It is underground and no air conditioning. Days like we have been having it gets to around 130 down there and there were down there all day. He came home limp as a noodle, poor man. He ate dinner and then went upstairs and took a shower and shaved. He went to bed at 8 PM it exhausted him so. He said he got a good night's sleep though.

Jean: I did get my Penneys stuff but the shoes have to go back. They were a black sparkle pair and a gold sparkle pair, but they were the shortest and narrowest things I have ever tried to put on. Even the shoe box was itty bitty. So, I will take them out to the Penneys at the mall on Sunday afternoon I guess. No, my contacts don't move, but I do have soft ones. My left one is giving me fits today again so I think I will put a new one in before I go to the eye doctor. I usually have very little trouble with my contacts even with the allergies. You have one spectacular fact finding friend here. I found a whole article including a picture of this Robert Baustain. I think you may have had trouble as he moved to New Mexico for most of his life. Here you go:

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/lif...4ca92f9e5.html

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Last edited by gma22; 08-05-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:08 PM   #8  

Good Evening! It's been a beautiful day in my neighborhood, 80 degrees, sunny, low humidity, and a slight breeze. This morning I vacuumed fur bunnies and went to the store for the hamburger I forgot yesterday. Thirty dollars later I was on my way home. This afternoon I fell asleep in front of the tv and Bob did the same; guess we were more tired than we thought. We went to a funeral visitation for a customer of his then stopped by the DQ for an ice cream supper. I had a sundae which I needed like another hole in my head. They are calling the butterscotch flavor caramel now, for some reason. To me it tastes like butterscotch.

"Gma," the days are getting shorter here too. I really notice that in the morning when I get up. I really don't like it when it is dark at 5:00. Hope you got your new contacts ordered ok. Thank you for the link on Robert Baustian! I hate to tell you, but it is the same article I found when I googled his name. In looking through a couple yearbooks at the historical museum, I ran across the name of a 90+ year old man who lives up the street. Their extended family is here this weekend so I will give him a call next week. It's possible RB went to the Catholic school or a country school, neither of which had yearbooks back then. But maybe he might recognize the name.

I am tired and heading for bed! Hope you enjoy a nice weekend!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. It is already hot here this morning so I doubt we get out and about much. I was going to take those shoes back to the mall, but they can wait.

Yesterday was a totally awful day. I get a text from my older sister's daughter asking if I had talked to my brother. I said not recently what was wrong. Her husband called me and said that on Tuesday my brother, who is 57 had a stroke and wouldn't go to the hospital. I went back and forth texting and phone calls and such and when it all came out it was worse. On Monday he got fired again, for what I have no clue. On Tuesday unknown to us at the time he texted my oldest sister and said he tried to commit suicide using insulin, (he is a severe brittle diabetic,) and it caused a stroke. So yesterday my nephew in law drove from Indianapolis to Manteno, Il to try and get him to go to the hospital. Well, he got there and Lee had fallen and couldn't get up so called an ambulance and was in the ER. A lot more drama involving his rotten kids who are all college age and his "B" of a wife but suffice it to say, my brother is in bad shape. He can no longer feel his feet, he has early onset dementia, and his pancreas is failing. He wants to die and I am afraid he will get out of the hospital and keep trying until he succeeds because his family don't care enough to help him. He should be getting a psyche eval while in the hospital but they didn't even go to the hospital. His son, who is 21 said he had his car packed already and was going to South Carolina for what reason I have no clue as he goes to school in IL. No one even let my younger sister know anything so I texted her all about it. She lives in Phoenix and is in CA this weekend for her daughter's baby shower. I can't go up there with this hand thing with Jack so am going to have to lean on God to take care of him. When you pray, say a prayer God will intervene or take him quickly. His name is Perry.

Well, I have to have cataract surgery so will have to jump through hoops to get that done now. She is scheduling the appointment for me. She says this dr is the best in Memphis and though it is a big practice, I am supposed to only let her do the surgery. I have to call Tricare on Monday and find out whether I have to get a referral, as I am sure I will then fight with the dr's office to get me one without going in for an appointment. She says my right eye's cataract if brown and she can't see through it. She said because of how much my eyesight will improve then will do the other one too. She said otherwise my vision will be completely hinky. She gave me a stronger contact for my left eye but tried and found nothing was improving my right one so I have the same contact.

Jean: And here I thought I had accomplished a miracle! We only have one Dairy Queen here and is it was out so we never go. We have a Baskin Robbins not far, but we usually just buy ice cream and keep it at the house. I am not much of an ice cream, but Jack loves the stuff.

Hope the weekend is nice for you. Thank you all for being such great friends.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #10  

Good morning, ladies! Hot in the 90s again today with the possibility of rain. With all the heat, I was afraid to look at the Dominion (electric bill). It sure paid for me to get a new AC unit - my bill was $57.83. Happy about that. My neighbor has never replaced her AC which is now 28 years old and I hear it running constantly.

Nothing happening today for Thursday I had a 6-hour appoint for the research study I'm in for COPD and then in the evening was First Thursday Bee. Yesterday Glory and Norah and I sewed up a storm on our quilts. So today is laundry and housework. People have been very kind in sharing their garden vegetables and I have so many tomatoes and summer squash and string beans right now I'm going to blanch some and freeze them. I think I'll make the tomatoes into a marinara sauce so I'll have that on hand.

Donna, I'm glad Jack is finally getting the surgery he needs. I wish I could come and sit with you. I will pray for your brother. He surely needs a lot of help. You are going to be amazed at how good you see immediately after surgery. The drops I had to put in at various times throughout the day was the hardest part of the surgery. And it took 7 minutes. We went to lunch afterwards.

Jean, I live 3 minutes from a Dairy Queen. I drive by it at least twice a day. So far I've only stopped once this summer. However, we met at Chick-Fil-A Thursday before our bee and my dinner was a Frosted Coffee. So good. I used to eat ice cream nearly every day but I've just lost my taste for it.

Maggie, I wish you'd just say hi so we know you are okay.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #11  

Good Morning! It's another beautiful morning in my corner of the world. There is NO wind, and it's only supposed to get to a high of a 75 this afternoon. I've stripped the bed and the washer is humming away right now. The heat has been hard on my flowers so I finally picked off the dead blossoms; some of my plants are are looking a little bedraggled so hope a round of fertilizer will help. I could vacuum again; the boys had a little discussion while I was outside. Not sure who claimed a victory but have quite a few fur hunks as evidence.

"Gma," how sad about your brother and his family! I hope he gets the help he needs. I'm sure getting the updates long distance is hard for you. Did Jack hear anything from the cardiologist? It's good you can have the cataract taken care of asap. So frustrating not being able to see! "hinky???" That is a new one on me.

Susan, I hope you got a good report from the research study. Do you get the results that day, or have to wait until later? I'm not a huge ice cream fan. I love the "island" flavors when we are in Maui, pineapple coconut is my favorite. Bob would have ice cream every day if he could. How do you fix summer squash? I'm not even sure what it looks like. I've fixed acorn squash but never think it tastes as good as my mom used to make. Enjoy all of your fresh veggies. Lucky you!

Maggie, what are you up to today?

Bob is out doing his Saturday rounds. I have hamburger to use so think lunch is going to be grilled hamburgers and salad for a start. I need to go through cookie recipes for later this week as I am co-hostess for a meeting coming up. Hope you all enjoy a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 08-06-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #12  

Good Evening! It's been another nice day here but is beginning to warm up again. We made a quick trip to Sioux City after church. I had a list for SAMs Club and another one for Penneys. I wanted to get Maddy a shirt and jeans for her birthday. She takes a slim waist and wanted sparkles on her behind. No sparkles in slim sizes so she's getting two shirts. From the looks of the clothes racks they didn't sell much on this tax free weekend. I wanted a queen size thermal blanket and evidently they aren't "in" because none were in sight. I did get new bed pillows and a heated mattress pad though. With the coupons and sale prices, I spent $148 but "saved" $137. Now we are watching gymnastics; Gabby didn't do so well on the first event.

Hope you all enjoy a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #13  

Good afternoon. Been a real busy two days.

Yesterday we had breakfast, shopping at WM, got gas, came home and put it away then J ck went and got his hircut. When he got back we went to Great American Home store to look at Lazy-boy recliners. They're the only dealer around here and there is no Lazy-boy store. They left town several years ago. I had a lot of requirements and you know the sales people jump you the minute you walk in the door. Do you know how hard it is to get a recliner that doesn't have a rocker? They had one style! Jack only wanted LB and no rocker. I wanted the handle on the bottom for the kick plate and not those round disc types as we have them on this double one and one didn't work and the other one broke. I only wanted gray, navy or a cream color. We finally found one for mr picky but it only came in a brown or mushroom color microfiber. We went with the mushroom color. We then bought end tables and lamps. I ordered a small inexpensive loveseat and some decor for the tables. I went with a kind of library look theme. You know, fake books that were storage, map stuff, the Salvador Dali painting and pillows, a big wrought iron clock for above the mantle, etc.

I have a consult appt on Thur for my eyes. Jack got irked at me for not getting the referral first and we went a couple rounds because like a man he wouldn't listen. This place doesn't give you a doctor as such for the consult. They just do testing to see if you qualify so I had no dr's name to use for a referral. He kept saying, "You have a pcm." Yes, but I don't have a opthamologist yet. He drove me nuts saying what if we can't aford the appt etc. I got fed up and told him I was going, period! Men!!!

Susan: I've heard it is pretty quick and easy. I'm not worried about it other than getting the stupid refferral in a timely manner. My doctor's office is slow and the procedure to get it may be nuts. If they make see a reg doctor to get an ok it is ridiculous! They aren't able to see the cataract in the doctor's office. My gut tells me this is going to be drawn out. We shall see after Thursday.

Jean: Jack loves ice cream. I have some milk intolerance and sometimes it gives me a stomachache and sometimes I'm fine. So I am not a big ice cream eater. I have to get those shoes taken back to Penneys. I hope the store out here is still open or back to the mall we go.

Well gals I have been working on the downstairs all day and I'm pooped. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It's cloudy and looks like it could rain but none is in the forecast. The humidity is increasing and we are heading to the 90s midweek. Counting went fine this morning although I had to look for a typo on my part later. The gift shop sold more than I thought it would last week. There are so many boxes I can barely get the storage room door open to get to the locked money box. We are scheduled to move the 29th, 30th, and 31st. I will be glad to get that over with. This afternoon the P.E.O. treasurer called to say she would pick up her briefcase. She's always running late so I didn't want to start any projects until she was here and gone. She just left so there's no point in starting anything now. I do have towels to fold and put away.

"Gma," furniture shopping is almost as frustrating as clothes shopping for me. We do have a LB and it rocks. I am a rocker. It is a bigger one, fits Bob fine but I have to put a little pillow under my neck if I'm going to sit there very long. It's Ernie's favorite spot to sleep; the fabric has held up like iron from cleaning off the fur. Enjoy all of your new things! I will keep my fingers crossed that you get the eye appointment and/or referral asap. Good luck with returning the shoes.

Guess I will go get the towels then think about something for supper. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening. I need to check the Olympic schedule and see what's scheduled for tonight.

Last edited by Jean; 08-08-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining right now and there is NO wind blowing. It's 84 degrees but feels like 91 with the humidity. We got up to fog which is weird this time of year. I went to the library to return books and pick up a couple more when Bob called. His fishing boat motor has been in the shop for six weeks; first one mechanic quit and the other one was home with food poisoning, then the parts had to be found and ordered as it is an older motor and not every place carries them, then when they came another part broke putting it back together. Finally the motor is fixed and he can pick it up. The place is an hour away but there is so much road construction going on, there is no easy straight way to get there. I did get lunch at "Bob's Place" -- famous taverns from the 40s era. Home again and waiting for the washer to finish. Also just found out a young 49 year old man who once lived here, and was a neighbor, died from kidney cancer which had spread to his bones. Too young!

Not much going on for the rest of today. I have lunch bunch tomorrow. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 08-09-2016 at 03:56 PM.