Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #106  

Quick hello to all of you. Had the day off and made the desserts for tomorrow - apple pie & a jello mold my family refers to as "green slime", lol.

Took doggy for a walk by the park so I could drop the apple peels & cores for the squirrels & other critters. If I did that in our backyard doggy would go after them - or it would draw critters I don't want around.

Just had dinner, or late lunch since we skipped that. Off to the library & to see the village Christmas tree next door - lighting was today.

Toodles for now.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #107  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi all,

Haven't been coming in here because this site is SO SLOW to respond. And it is just this site and one other that I am having trouble with.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with family and friends. It's just me and DH and the cats. I kind of wish we had more of a celebration with family - while my sister would revel in a quiet holiday - after 15 years I'm sort of tired of it. But then again, I'm not really up for alot of fussing either and I'm not really into all that much eating like I used to so I guess I just don't know what I want I am tired of being too busy lately and would actually relish a week of quiet where I could relax and just chill out. And maybe get a few of my own things done.

Doing the traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and veg thing. I am going to attempt to make a pecan pie using the Georgia pecans I got and froze earlier this year. I probably should have started prepping tonight but I think I will be on schedule for an early afternoon dinner. I think I have some cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit for a nicer breakfast to tide us over. I do miss the double oven I used to have in Memphis. That was a great kitchen.

Anyway...

Laura - ha ha on the "green slime" dessert - I'll bet it's a favorite that everyone expects you to bring each year. Is there much decorating on State Street anymore or do you have to head north on Michigan Ave for that? I saw all the fuss going on downtown about the protests. That's rather scary - good thing you are off for a few days.

Dee - that's very kind of you to remember the folks you come in contact with during the year. I'm sure they appreciate the thought. And the lotion!

Shad - sounds as if you will be on the run over the holidays - just enough time to get home, get everything arranged, meet and greet everyone and then scurry back to regular life again. Hope you get some time to stop and actually enjoy things. I was surprised to see that Chris is working again - I thought her illness forced her into retirement or does she need the insurance?

Annie - surprisingly the people at the shelter seem to be accepting and willing to work with the software. I think they see the ultimate value in it and I have encouraged them to just try to put one or two animals in a day to learn and they are doing that. Thanks for asking. I am sad that you go to bed and miss the Hallmark Channel's holiday showings. I know how much you liked them and we sort of appointed you unofficially to keep the tv on for Mel. I hope the blip of insomnia was just that - a blip and you are sleeping again. Since you had your family meal last weekend, will it just be a quiet time with you and DH? Hope you can kick back and relax. Or shop online for the kiddos. Yikes that cardiac rehab is pricey. I hope you can transition to the less expensive one quickly.

Ceejay - I hate when you go away and try and remember if you left the iron, or heater or curling iron on. Glad it was unplugged. Hope you have decent weather for your Thankgiving travels. Enjoy the time with the family.

Susie - I used to do the FSA every year and had to figure out for both me and DH what to allocate and how to use it. Was always a guessing game so I got pretty good at figuring out come the end of the year how to use up all my dollars. Now I just try to figure out how to squeeze a surgery in each year so that I can justify / get my money's worth out of the ridiculous amount of money I toss over to the insurance companies for little in return. DH is actually dropping his prescription drug plan next year. I just hope he doesn't get put on some pricey medications. To you question to Annie about thinking when you want something you should not have - I like the phrase "one is too many and a thousand is never enough". I apply that to cigarettes - if I fall off the wagon into a sea of my addictions, one is enough to knock me overboard and there is never enough to satisfy me to stop. I am starting to feel the same way about my buddy Coca Cola. I think the key is to distance yourself from temptations so you lose your taste for them and then sometimes it's just old fashioned will power and head talks that keeps you on the straight and narrow path of righteousness

Hello to Terra and Michelle.

Hope you all have a happy day tomorrow - even if you are not celebrating. I am grateful for all of you and you continued support. Good night for now and good luck if you are some of those adventurous Black Friday shoppers.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:18 AM   #108  

Height: 5'7"

Hello Friends and Happy Thanksgiving!

I think back to the first Thanksgiving and how it was the pilgrims and the Indians. People from different places, sitting down together to eat and give thanks. Sort of like all of us! We come from many places, and help each other to eat healthy and be happy and thankful for each day.

We support each other in good and bad times, just like they did during that first year. I am thankful for all of you!

We will be with our friends the Jarrell's today. We each make parts of the meal and go to their house and have the dinner around 1. Then we watch movies, nap, talk, and get the food out again for dinner. It is a truly relaxing day.

I will come back and post personals later. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade is on and DH is yelling from the living room that I need to come watch.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Susie
I'm watching the Thanksgiving day parade too.

Annie
I think we all have something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving day.

Shad
Glad you are getting a chance to go home and spend some time with the family. You have deserved it.

Happy
Sometimes life gets in the way. We have to set our selves priorities and go from there. I'm realizing that more and more each day.

Laura
Good for you in recycling the peelings and feed the critters at the same time.

Dee
Happy Thanksgiving.

--------
Went to Jonesboro to the doctor yesterday and got back into town in time to eat lunch with the water department. That rib eye was done to perfection except I could not eat the whole 12 ounces. I'm upset with the weight I've gained. So I'm going to have to start logging my food. And had my rx's refilled. This doctor gives my rx's for three months.
My bff text last night to tell me that there is apartments being vacated. It's just not time for this yet.
My co-worker told me yesterday that she has 100 hours of vacation time left so she is going to have to take at least 24 hours or she will lose them. I have 2 days planned in December with a doctor's appointment and possible jury duty. I will have to talk to the boss about this situation.
We are supposed to get 4 to 7 more inches of rain this week end so I'm not going to spend the whole week end in Paragould. In fact I may need to come back today. I want to talk to an insurance rep if possible tomorrow. Yesterday I noticed that all the small rivers/creeks/lakes are to the rim and some of the fields are still holding water. It will not take much for us to have a flash flood. It's getting the time of year where I'm going to have to curtail my comings and goings I saw another mouse last night and I know now where they are coming in. Traps have been set.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #110  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Vacated the motel room this morning. I am going to go North for the weekend to see sights that I have had on the bucket list for a long time but never quite got there.
I'm hoping to get to Paihia - sort of first settlement of the white fella in NZ and across the harbour from there is Waitangi which is where the Tiriti o Waitangi was signed (Treaty of Waitangi) between the Maori (indigenous population) and the British Crown making us a part of the British Empire - later to become the Commonwealth of Nations. You lot refused to take part and had the Boston Tea Party instead.
From there I will go to see Tane Mahuta. (more or less Lord of the Forest). Tane is a Kauri tree and is estimated at around 2300 years old. There are some other big blokes around as well. Look him up for further information.

I'm hoping to do a couple of day trips in the Bay of Islands - but we shall see. I'm not going to push it, just do as much as I can without busting a gut.

Okay - Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends. I give thanks for all of you even if I am not physically there and we don't have Thanksgiving down here. The Pilgrims and the Indians (sorry - Native Americans) were not a bad lot of people to have as ancestors mostly. You could sure use some of that grit and determination these days.
Enjoy your day - give thanks for what you have, don't eat more than you need and get out to enjoy the fresh air and scenery.

Food all sounds delicious - specially Laura's slime jelly and Dee's potatoes along with Happy's stuffing which sounds divine.

Two more weeks in the motel, plus 10 days in the beachfront apartment, and I am done. So looking forward to going home and getting into the garden and the house and enjoying little miss S for 6 days before I send her home with her Mum and Dad and get Chris to visit.

Happy - Talking about Chris, with all her various ailments and problems which seem to develop reasonably frequently, she is too stubborn to just give in. She says she can only do so much at home and she needs the extra money because her homestay fee and pension won't give her the luxuries she likes to have. Currently she has the Churg-Strauss, which appears to be in remission although she is still taking medication to keep it that way. She has Osteoporosis because of the steroids, she has a form of asthma and an arrhythmic heart, and her tendons are starting to disintegrate - probably because of one or more of the drugs. She has definitely shrunk in height (used to be taller than me) so I am presuming the tendon thing is also in the spinal discs and has difficulty walking for any length of time.
Apart from all of that, she eats well and the brain functions as well as it ever did so she works.

Okay, better go sort out the 38 Urgent emails in my inbox. If I am not in over the weekend, I will be back Monday and hopefully with some photos
Old 11-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #111  

Better late than never. I hope everyone had a wonderful day today.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I slept for 3 hours when I got back home. Exhausted.
Had a good day on Thanksgiving day. Visited the cousins that were there. I tried not to eat to much and I had no dessert until I got back to my uncles. Also did my version of step aerobics for 20 minutes before when I retired to my room. Got in my mile.
We didn't get up early to go black Friday shopping but my aunt wanted to go to her favorite department store to shop. I bought 3 fleece tops at buy on get two free. I thought the store would be swamped with shoppers but it was like a typical shopping day. I was glad.
Rain has moved in and as predicted a 5 to 7 inches worth before Sunday.
The wind is from the South at the moment but will be turning out of the North and this stuff is supposed to turn into snow. I'm not ready for this.
This place is quiet but family time is more important. Both of my siblings have sent pictures via text which makes me happy.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #113  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hello girls, it feels like a lazy Sunday to me instead of Friday, after having our family here for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday & watching football together. The Detroit Lions stomped all over the poor Philadelphia Eagles, we needed another win. Today the weather was rainy & cold so Dh & I watched more football, movies & grazed on yesterdays leftover feast. I did some cyber shopping because Dh didn't want to face any mobs.

Shad... It's soo wonderful to hear from you I wish that I could be with you sightseeing someday If I ever won the lottery I'd take all of us here on a plane to come visit you in your beautiful country. And of course I'd ask you to cook one of your delicious meals that you 'Used to show us pics of', hint-hint. I'm sorry to hear Chris is in bad health, is she your sister?

Susie... It's comforting to have close friends to be with during the holidays like you have. I'm also Thankful for Each person here. You each are Dear friends that I look forwards to sharing time with here & I do hope that some day we can all meet; share our smiles, some hugs, lots of giggles & make some amazing memories.

Ceej... A long nap used to be called 'beauty sleep' Now that I'm older, it's my well needed Siesta Wow, that's soo awesome that you exercised in your bedroom while visiting, now I really feel lazy Great going w your shopping trip buying 1 top & getting 2 free! I really hope the snow misses your town & your temps warm-up. That's sweet that your family sent you photos today.

Michelle... I hope your recovery is going well & that your BF & your step-mom have been taking good care of you

Laura... I used to make a dessert that a silly friend nick-named 'pink panther poo' because it was a dessert w raspberries & black cherries making the whipped cream pink & the fruit & nuts & the crushed chocolate candy bar. But it was delicious & the large bowl always emptied.

Terra... You are missed, come back when you can.

Happy... I hope that you are getting a well deserved rest this weekend The Animal Shelter in Midland advertised on TV a Black Friday special; doggies $50 adoption fee & free cats/kittens no limits. I hope that worked & that many pets received homes today.

Annie... Did you get any Christmas shopping started during your relaxing week? Yes, I know I just said the no-no words....

Dh went to bed early @ 9pm & just woke up & told me again to come to bed.

Sweet Dreams girls, I hope you'all enjoy your weekend.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #114  
Choose your hard

Good morning all,

Are we becoming a dying thread here? People are posting less and less. I know I have not been the best myself. Will do better.

We had a nice quiet Thanksgiving. DH helped prepare parts of the dinner and he said everything really came out tasting great. I tried a new recipe from the Food Network magazine for stuffing that he picked out and he said it was the best stuffing he ever had! Similar to what my Mom makes but was a bit drier. I make my Mom's recipe which is no meat which I like a whole lot more.

Yesterday I just lazed around the house. Did some laundry, took care of some to-do's. Had to call support to get some questions answered on how to update some fields in the shelter software. I didn't want to leave the house so we didn't even go out for our usual Friday night dinner. I made a small plate of nibbly's for DH and I could not decide what I wanted to eat and it got later and later so I actually went to bed hungry.

We are about to leave the house to go run some errands and I have to leave when the "bus driver" announces he is ready which he just did. I will be back in a bit.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #115  
Choose your hard

Ok, back again.

Went to the thrift shop, said hello to our friend, dropped off some supplies. Then talked DH into buying me a burger for lunch. On the way home we stopped at the shelter to pick up paperwork. Played with the kitties, talked with the staff. I only ate half my lunch so will have the rest for supper.

Damn - Nina must be cold. Overrode all attempts to block her and jumped up on my computer anyway. Don't know how long this will last - me being able to use my computer. Plopped her big butt all over my paperwork too. Now she is laying on my hand sucking up heat and getting in the way. May have to try this again later...
Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #116  
Sandee

Donna I can just see you & Nina in a battle right now. We just finished supper. I've been watching wonderful old movies w the holiday theme & some oldie TV shows on PBS. I needed a break from football.

A car just drove up our driveway, see you'all tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #117  

Height: 5'7"

Hello Everyone! It seems that everyone did very well on Thanksgiving; enjoying the food but not stuffing ourselves with it. You know, it is hard to enjoy something tasting when your stuffed.

We had a nice time with our friends. We watched the "Vacation" movie. I still like the original the best but it did have some very funny things in it.

We did a little bit of shopping on Friday evening. I bought 3 gifts. I plan on doing some on-line shopping when I get done posting here. I don't wait for cyber Monday. I know what I want and I just go ahead and put it in the cart and be done with it.

DH and I cleaned this house like crazy people on Friday. We moved furniture, mopped all the wood floors, wiped down the baseboards
and I finished the last 7 windows. I have tilt in windows so it makes them easier to clean. I know feel like I can be closed in all winter.

I was so tired on Friday after cleaning. We took breaks here and there but worked from 9-4:30. Then decided to clean up and head to the mall.

DH took his shower, and then I took mine. I was in the shower for about 15 minutes and when I turned it off, I still could hear water running. I pulled the curtain back and saw that the two faucets on the sink where running! I have no idea how that happened and DH hadn't a clue as well.

Well, because it was running so long, it wasn't going down the sink drain fast enough and water was all over the floor and in the drawers of the vanity and under where the doors are.

I was screaming! DH came running, saw what was happening. I had turned the water off by then but I needed to bail it out of the sink so it would stop overflowing into the vanity. We went and got me a cup and several buckets and I started bailing the water from the sink and the drawers. He got me paper towels and the mop.

I then noticed that my phone was on the counter laying in all that water! We didn't have any rice in the house so I told him to go get some and I kept cleaning the water out of the vanity and off the floor.

DH got back with the rice, I took my phone apart and put it in there and it works just fine this morning.

The vanity did not warp from the water and the drawers are ok as well and my bathroom floor is very clean! I do need to restock the paper towels.

I was crying and screaming all at the same time during most of that cleanup. I was so exhausted from all the house cleaning and I just wanted to shower and go to the Mall and then eat at Olive Garden.

We did do that but didn't go as many places as I wanted to...my body just wouldn't go. We went to the Olive Garden and I was falling asleep siting there.

Regardless, this morning I felt fine body wise and we could relax a bit. We watched the Ohio State/ Michigan game and I'm so HAPPY that Ohio State won! (Sorry Dee!)

I also put up my tree and wreathes on the doors. I have a pencil tree that fits so nicely in a corner. It's pre-lit and I also put it up for a day with the lights on and make sure that I don't have any out before putting all the ornaments on the tree.

Michelle: How is the shoulder feeling? Hope to see you here soon.

Terra: Where are you lady? We miss you!

Shad: I hope you were able to go see all the places on your bucket list. Some of it sounds so amazing to see.

Happy: Did you get all your errands done today?

Ceejay: I hope you get that mouse! No one likes to think they are sharing a home with them. We have had a lot of rain here all day today. If it keeps up we will have some flooding issues. How is it looking in your area?

Laura: Your "green slime" sounds yummy! I hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #118  
Sandee

Our visitors just left & I'm sleepy so this is short.

Susie, don't bother being sorry about the game today because Ohio played Michigan - U of M, color blue (Ann Arbor). Dh & I aren't fans of that university either. We're 100% loyal to my university Michigan State - Spartans (Lansing), green & white colors.

So I've taught each of our g-babes when they are 3 yrs old when they see anyone play football or basketball to chant "Go Green!" for players wearing green. It's hilarious to see them chanting when 2 teams occasionally both have green as their school color

Good night you'all
Old 11-29-2015, 02:31 AM   #119  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Evening all,
I've been away doing the tourist thing and taking photos, which I will post as I can. Unfortunately the cameras battery decided to misbehave and I didn't get to take pics of Tane Mahuta the tree and a half. However as I can, I will put some photos up here for those not on facebook.

Is this a dying thread? I don't know, I do know however that I haven't been doing much on it for a while - mainly because when I get home from work, the last thing I need is to spend time on the computer. But things are getting back to normal - what's normal? - I don't do normal, now that things are settling down and people are winding down for Christmas.

Ceejay - good on you for getting that exercise in after all that food.

Dee - Welcome to come over for a meal or two. I haven't been cooking much since I have been over here, but once I get home, it will be back to doing my own thing again. You may get pictures once more.

Happy - good to hear that the stuffing recipe came out well. Always a chance that after all that effort, it doesn't come up to scratch. What did you have it with - one of the scrub turkeys from outback??

Susie - what a disaster in your bathroom, but it will be clean for a while now. Lucky it didn't warp the vanity and didn't total your phone. Think you deserved dinner out.

Okay, time to get off here and think about bed. I'll get some photos loaded up tomorrow - promise
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #120  
Choose your hard

Ok, once more with gusto. DH appears to be busy in his room, cat is busy pestering him...

Woke up this morning to the sounds of barking turkeys. Seems they have joined forces with another flock - perhaps adults from a clutch in past years. DH said they were surrounding the house. Will hold DH hostage for black oil sunflower seeds.

Deer gun hunting season ends tomorrow. So far both of our bucks have gone deep in the woods and managed to survive. Hunters are complaining that there aren't many bucks to be seen. Perhaps it's because they allowed too many to be hunted 2 years past when we had such a devastating brutal winter and many died of cold and starvation. Maybe the population didn't come up to where it needed to be. Maybe the DNR needs to more closely monitor those who do hunt and take more than they need or what they shouldn't. Yes, it happens. Same with fish. There is an attitude (among some, not all) that it's only wrong IF they get caught.

I did spend a good part of the evening entering more animals into the software system. Double whammy of slow internet and slow server on their end. But we are getting caught up and people are embracing the system so that's good.

Next week, not this week starts various holiday parties. I really don't feel the spirit any more. Not anti-Christmas, just don't feel like decorating, after I hear 3 Christmas songs I am done listening to that music, etc. Don't know how I can recapture it again. Was thinking that heading into the new year I really need to buckle down - seriously - on working on me. I keep saying WHEN I catch up, WHEN I finish this and I just seem to go on to the next thing.

If you are the shopping kind, I hope you got some bargains this past weekend. It pays to know your prices - sometimes the "Black Friday" advertised prices are not as cheap as the week before's sale I did get a couple of sweaters at JC Penney. I generally wear fleece pullovers in a rainbow of colors, looking for something a bit different this winter. I have to go through my closet though as there is not a speck of space to add anything more.

Shad - good to hear that things are winding down. You have been running at a breakneck pace - eventually the body wears down or the mind shuts down. Good to have a breather. No, we would never consider eating one of the wild turkeys even though ours are bigger and would probably be tastier than your average wild turkey. Most wild turkeys spend their days foraging eating the assorted diet of bugs, ticks, whatever from rotting foliage. And they walk all day long non stop so they are not only rather tough and lean but they taste of what they eat which is not what we are used to. Our turkeys supplement with a diet of dried corn and sunflower seeds so I imagine they might be better tasting overall. Still, we don't kill - our only "hunting" is done with a camera. However, if the end of the world comes, it's nice to know that if we had to we have an abundance of potential food in the form of deer, turkeys and fish nearby, although the deer and turkeys would quickly disperse I'm sure if we were not feeding them regularly.

Susie - OMG - what a MESS in the bathroom! Good thing you got it cleaned up before the wood swelled. However keep checking the kickboard under the cabinet face. That stuff unlike a cabinet is often pressed fiberboard and will gather water like a sponge. We had a flood in our kitchen when the water line to the dishwasher broke and while the cabinets were ok, 2 days later the kickboard swelled and warped and we had to replace it. I can only imagine the despairing feeling after you worked so hard to clean earlier, only to be left with this mess. Always something, eh? I love those pencil trees - they are great for enhancing a small corner.

Dee - perfect weekend relaxing and watching holiday movies. Sounds like fun. I'm sure you needed a break after all the busy days you've had.

Ceejay - glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Good score on the fleece tops, I'm sure you will use them. Holy Cow that's a lot of rain!!! Hope it didn't freeze up on you. Why do you have to take vacation time for jury duty? Don't they have to let you take time off???

Hi Laura, Annie, Michelle, Terra Back to data entry for me
Closed Thread