Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #121

Good morning everyone. I got up to go to the bathroom and was wide awake so decided just to stay up.

I showed up 20 minutes after the dr's office was supposed to be opened and it was locked up tight so I did a bit of shopping in WM and then went back to get my contact. It is working fine so I told her I would call Friday to have them get the prescription ready to pick up on Saturday and the darn thing better be ready. I did notice a script was clipped into my file so maybe it is all ready to go. She wanted me to wear this new one for a couple days.

I received everything yesterday, my nightshirts, robe and such fit, but we were highly disappointed in the travel bag thingy. I am sending it back and we ordered their family sized one. I told Jack when it came yesterday I thought it was too small, but he was determined so he went upstairs and came back down with it and said everything wouldn't fit in it. Well duh, I told you that.

This week turned out a little crazy and I am determined to get upstairs and get stuff cleaned today. I want the whole house cleaned again by the weekend as I have errands on Saturday and since Jack is off on Monday we want a nice quiet weekend.

Susan: I am so sorry you cough is lingering. It is one of those things that sure does drag you down if you have no respiratory problems let alone if you do. Fall is right around the corner and cooler temps to go with it. Hope you get to feeling right very soon.

Maggie: Hope Will gets a good report.

Jean: Happy Anniversary!!!! I hope you and Bob do something special. I too have a full glass door in front and for me it is mostly washing it all the time, but I like it better than the wrought iron one that was there. I hated that thing. Glad your test came out ok. I thought they only did it every 10 years. I do wonder why though. I mean, my surgeon says your colon is one of the most important organs in the body that no one pays any attention to because the subject is taboo. Once you have trouble, it is hard not to have trouble the rest of your life.

Everyone have a good Thursday. I am going to go check on laundry I put in the dryer.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! Another hot day in the 90s in the forecast but we had 1-1/2 inches of rain late yesterday afternoon. It's amazing how fast grass turns green with just a little water.

Today is my knitting group this afternoon and tonight is First Thursday Bee. I don't know how long I'll stay at either one but I'm going so I get out of the house.

I'm trying to be more organic in my eating and trying new recipes. Yesterday I made my first batch of mayo. It was so simple and it's so good I'll never buy mayo again. I put everything in the container for my stick blender, turned it on and in less than 2 minutes I had lovely thick delicious mayo. So much easier than using a blender and trickling the oil into the mixture.

I found a great FREE app called PepperPlate yesterday. You can manually type your recipes in or enter the url and it imports them, you can make menus and it makes shopping lists. You can get it for desktop, tablet, phone, ipad.

Faye, the cost of the colonoscopy and how many cancers are actually detected is what determines how often procedures are done. Medicare is going broke as it is so we will probably see more cost/benefits being used.

Jean, I've been cooking more but I don't like to have too many ingredients. I am mainly using Well Fed, Well Fed 2, Whole30, and It Starts With Food for recipes right now. Very healthy eating - no grains, no dairy, no sugar no sweeteners, no legumes. The doc wanted me to do this for 30 days and then see how much less inflammation I have. Then I can begin to slowly add back those foods, except for grains, that I have been avoiding.

Maggie, I don't envy you getting ready to move into the MH although every time I see the tiny houses I think I'd really like to live like that. I have too much stuff to my way of thinking and I'm slowly cutting back.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #3  

Good morning everyone. We are creeping back in the high temps again and should be near 100 today if the weatherman is right. I just hope Jack doesn't have to work out in it or in the buildings below ground with no ac.

Jack stayed up last night and watched at least part of the college football game on tv. Oh joy, we are going into football season. I know he wants to watch Boise State play tonight so it will be a late night I imagine.

I ordered a mat for in front of the front door that has our name on it so we shall see if it is left alone or someone steals it. It is fall colors and I have a wreath on the inner door with fall colors so it goes well. It hides the fact my house is a disaster inside!

Susan: I hope the eating program you are on really helps with your inflammation. Have fun at your knitting and quilting bee.

Everyone have a great weekend.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:04 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! The sky is getting darker as the day goes on and it looks like rain even though the weatherman didn't say so. I'd just as soon have the rain today as tomorrow or Sunday. I went to the Hallmark store for "a" card and came home with several plus a cute little Halloween decoration. It is a battery lit pumpkin with an owl peeking out. I plan to put it in my little shelf in the kitchen. Then I stopped by Bob's office to tell the temporary secretary goodbye and good luck. That is another whole bucket of worms. Finally made it to the grocery store and picked up food for the lake tomorrow.

I started a post yesterday while we were waiting for the soccer game to start. It was 90 degrees but there was a breeze. The other team took a lot of cheap shots at our girls, always behind the ref's back. Parents were yelling and even the coaches were upset. Maddy was goalie, for the second half, but couldn't save the game.We went out to eat afterwards and I never got back here to finish.

Maggie, I was under the impression Will got the "all clear" on his last checkup. I hope whatever his doctor's plan of action is will work. I can imagine you are busy getting ready for your trip to Texas.

"Gma," thank you for the anniversary wishes. We were able to be with half our family which was nice. I keep telling Bob if we lived in Sioux City we could get everyone together more often. Wishful thinking on my part! Looking back, 48 years doesn't seem possible. Your fall decorations, to share outside, sound lovely.

Susan, I've never heard of anyone making mayo. I've never done any research on ingredients, but found it interesting that my mom used Miracle Whip and Bob's mom used mayo. I hope the organic food will be helpful for you. Like I've thought, and said, many times that it's too bad we have to eat! Have fun knitting and crocheting!

I have checks to write for the gift shop and a load of laundry to put in the dryer. Guess it is the maid's day off from the looks of the kitchen counter! I need to get busy! Hope you all enjoy the long weekend. The fall routine is just around the corner!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #5  

Good morning to you all. Jack is still snoozing. I know he watched at least part of the Boise State game last night, but I think he went to bed around 11 pm so I wonder if they were losing.

We have to go out and get my eye prescription and get soda and bread this morning then back home and I hope I can get a bit more done on the house today. I need to dust upstairs and finish the downstairs. I did get it vacuumed and mopped yesterday.

My very first piece for the new look for the living room is being delivered today. Art.com had a big 45% off sale and I had a coupon besides so got a great deal. We plan on getting this clock fabric for the new loveseat so I bought a Salvador Dali print for the big wall. I love Dali's stuff even if is it weird and I got this print that is a sofa size print. I had it wood mounted with a boarder as it was a lot cheaper than having it framed and besides it will fit in better with the motif not framed. I saved over $100 on it. I couldn't decide between this one and two others he has done that have "time" in them in some way, but finally went with this one.

Jean: I hate it when kids sports become bully events so to speak and nothing is done about it. Kids should learn from sports, but mostly they are supposed to have fun and coaches and parents can take the fun right out of it. In this day and age families are so spread out anymore. I guess because of the automobile and the plane. It is sad as I don't see my cousins hardly at all unless there is a funeral I can get too. I haven't seen my younger sister in a couple years now and I only see her when they go to Arkansas to see his mom and they can't do that now because of finances. They live in Phoenix and that's not a day trip for sure.

You all have a nice Saturday. Gonna be very hot for us today again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dali.jpg (84.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! We are at the lake with sunshine and big time wind. No boat rides today. Everyone is sitting outside except me, and I don't like the wind. Just finished enjoying Maddy's birthday cake and ice cream after she opened her gifts. Jason received big bags of chocolate candy, his favorite.

"Gma," somehow I set the TV time wrong, and it came on at 5:15 this morning. I shut it off and went back to bed until almost 7. Church goes back to regular two services tomorrow. Bob can watch the late late shows and catnaps through them, but I just plain fall asleep. You picture is interesting. I must admit I'm not very art smart. I have three cousins within a couple hours of driving, and we never see each other. All of our parents are gone and that's when we saw each other at funerals. Sad! How many sisters do you have, three?

I brought my library book along so guess I will read. Hope you all are enjoying the first day of the long weekend.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday in the Evening

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

OH what a mess for I have been deciding what to keep, toss, give away or sell. I don’t ever want to go through this again. Once we move into that MH we are not going to fill a huge house up with stuff and furniture again. It is a good thing our friends in Texas have a nice barn that we can have a corner of to keep our outdoor tools and things. I am now through with my office then I will attack my things in the bedroom leaving the kitchen to last since I have most all I will need already in the MH and it will be getting what is left ready for the yard sale. We will be leaving for TX on the 7th so we picked up the truck and enclosed trailer yesterday to start getting it loaded with stuff we will put in storage in TX until we get the MH there. When we come back we will have a yard sale and clean out the house and then go to Texas in the MH. Will will probably be pulling a small trailer behind the MH with the last minute stuff and I can drive the Jeep.

Not much else for me to talk about because this is what is happening around here.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. It didn't seem to cool down a whole lot last night and going to be another scorcher today.

I got my contact prescription and ordered a box for each eye at Walmart's vision center because that is the allowance from my insurance. WM uses 1-800-contacts and they are outrageous. They were $70 a box and I had $120 allowance, so I paid the other $20. She looked at me funny even though I am in there every year for the last 10 years or so and always just buy what my allowance is because they are too darn expensive. I told her so and told her I get them for $42 a box online at a place I have been doing business with for 15 years. I told her I save about $60-70 on them and she pops up with, "But what about shipping?" Well, first off I told her shipping was free unless I wanted overnight or something and secondly even with shipping it wouldn't cost $70 to ship! I don't think she believed me, but it's true. I bought a whole years supply with free shipping and a coupon I found and it cost me $137, which is less for 4 boxes that they charge for 2. I could upload my prescription after scanning it in and send to them and won't have to wait for them to call my dr and be called back so usually I have them the following week. It will be at least Friday or later she said before they will be in at WM and then I have to go out and pick them up. I can't use my insurance at Vision Direct or I would bypass WM all together. Oh and btw, all the vision places charge inflated prices, not just WM because we looked. I also ordered a pair of single vision new glasses to wear when I have to take out my contacts. I actually was able to get the same frame I currently have, which is metal and I really like. I bought them online at the same company I have used over and over and they cost me $22 including shipping.

My hands are sure stiff this morning and my joints are swollen. Hopefully as the day wears on the swelling will go down. It usually does. I can barely bend my fingers and typing with stiff fingers is funny.

I got my print and it is wonderful and really big. Jack says it is weird and it is, but I love it. We looked at it and then put it back into its protective cardboard until the walls are painted and we can hang it. I like the wood mounted look a whole lot better than a frame and don't have to worry about it falling off the wall and glass breaking. Jack says Dali was smokin' dope when he painted it! I told him he could have been for all I know, but I like his art a lot. I hate modern art as a whole, but I like a lot of Dali's kooky stuff. I also got Jackson's Halloween bag and it is so cute. The pumpkin's eyes light up and blink and then there is a circle of tiny led lights around the pumpkin that light up. It has his name across the bottom.

Jean: I guess I don't remember you saying Jason and Maddy's bday were close together. Hope Maddy had a fun day. Looks like all of us are creeping towards birthdays. I think it is kind of funny that all of us here have birthdays around the same time. I have three sisters and a brother. I have a sister 9 years older, one 2 years younger and a brother 6 years younger. My oldest lives in the assisted living in Indiana, then Neita lives in Phoenix and Lee lives in the Chicago area. I don't talk about my brother much as he is seriously rough around the edges and I don't keep in contact with him a whole lot. He and his wife are separated, but live in the same house. He has posted awful things about her on FB (the woman is difficult to say the least, but he says terrible things that his kids can see) and he has insulted both my kids with his bigotry and such so they won't speak to him. He posted stuff on my FB a long while back that was vulgar so I defriended him so if he wants to talk to me he has to call or text. Jack wants nothing to do with him either so won't speak to him. He has a pastor friend that he is close to that has spoken to him about the things he says, but it goes in one ear and out the other. I really miss my sister in Phoenix as she is the one I used to work with at the law firm and her husband and Jack were in the military together and close friends. In fact, I met Jack through Larry's family, which is a long story.

Maggie: Moving is an ordeal at best. I can pack, do a yard sale, get rid of the rest of it and move in 3 days. Being in the military for 20 years I learned how to organized and do it quickly. Moving every three years or so does that. Hope it goes smoothly for you.

You all have a great day today.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It's been another day of strange weather: a little sunshine, a lot of clouds, wind, no wind, high humidity, and a few sprinkles in the mix. It's only 80 degrees outside but feels much hotter because of the humidity. We went to church and thought we might have to reintroduce ourselves. There weren't many there so if it is as skimpy second service, there won't be much money to count. I've been doing laundry and otherwise read the paper and watched the news on TV.

Maggie, this weekend I looked around the cabin anticipating the chore of cleaning it out. Not looking forward to that at all. I've been sneaking up on sorting and pitching here but not doing so well. Wishing you a safe trip to Texas and back.

"Gma," I've been debating about a new pair of glasses to wear without my contacts. Some days I still have trouble with watery eyes and they seem better if I don't wear my contacts. I know it will be at least $500 or more. We do have a cheaper place and WM also but neither have the same doctor every day. We've gone to the same clinic ever since we moved here. We all go to the same church and I know I could call any one of them after hours if I had a problem. One of the small town perks I guess. I'm glad you are happy with your print. I did have to laugh at Jack thinking it is weird. It's a good thing he's not an alcoholic looking at it. Maddy's birthday was August 11th, but Amanda's family had a wedding and Bob's brothers were here for the tractor shindig, so we couldn't get everyone together. Jason's birthday is September 3rd, he was born on Labor Day 42 years ago. Didn't one of your sisters live in California at one time? That is sad/too bad about your brother. Being an only child I always find it interesting how some families are so close while others not so much. Bob is the oldest of four, and if he didn't make the effort to call his brothers once in awhile he'd never hear from them. Neither one bothered to let him know they got home ok after being here. He bought meals for them, got one into our dentist because he broke a tooth, paid their way into the tractor show, and we provided all the food for two meals at the cabin the day before they left for home.

Not much newsy from my corner of the world. Only two of us to count this week and I made a perm appointment first thing Tuesday morning not thinking about banks being closed tomorrow. So we are counting tomorrow as usual. I will be glad to get back on a regular schedule again.

Hope all is well with all of you. Enjoy the rest of this special Sunday!

Last edited by Jean; 09-06-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking

GOOD AFTERNOON IN SEPTEMBER MAGNOLIAS
☺♫

I am taking a break from getting ready to leave to take a load of things to Texas tomorrow. We will be coming back @Thursday as it stands now. It will depend on when Will gets the call to be at that hospital to have those tests done down there.

Here is a neat thing I have had awhile that I thought I would share with you:
WON’T is a word of rebellion
MIGHT is a word of mediocrity
CAN’T is a word f defeat and fear
OUGHT is a word of duty
TRY is a word of little faith
MAYBE is a word of procrastination
WILL is a word of courage
CAN is a word of power & self-determination
DOING is a word of progress & fulfillment

JEAN Thanks for the good wishes for our trip. Cleaning out that cabin once again are you on that yearly chore.

DONNA FAYE LOL that gal may have looked at you funny for a totally different reason than you think. It is good that you can find a cheaper way of paying for your contacts.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:48 AM   #11  

Good morning to you all. Going to be hot today again. I know I slept without a blanket on most of the night. I got up at 1 AM to go to the bathroom and I was sweaty and I looked at the temp online and it was 76.

We are going to the mall today, which may be nuts, but I want to get out of the house and we have to replace Jack's hard case for his Oakley sunglasses. The man loses more stuff and these things cost $25 to replace. I just hope the sunglass hut has one. I looked online and they carry them so we shall see.

My best friend of almost 50 years is having a hard time of it. First off, her husband doesn't work, secondly she is a hospital record coder but can't find a job doing that or the accounting stuff she has done in the past and can only find part time work in a retail store working in the changing rooms lugging clothing back and forth and putting it away and cleaning them up. She isn't old enough for SS yet so they live pretty tight financially. I have been trying to get ahold of her and haven't been able to so messaged her daughter on FB. Come to find out her husband slipped in the bathroom and broke his leg and ankle and she is dealing with that now too. He has to have surgery this week. Send up a prayer for them. She is the most wonderful woman in the world and when we were down and out in Indiana about 20 years ago when Jack lost his job she lent us her car for months and then when she lost her job, gave us part of her severance so we could get our piece of junk fixed so Jack could drive back and forth to his job in Chicago. Chicago is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way. She had to wait years to be paid back because we just didn't have it and never said a word to us. We are making plans to do something great for the two of them, but for now all we can do is pray and help them out if we can. I worry about whether her job would be in jeopardy over this.

Maggie: Have a good trip.

Jean: Yes, the sister that lives in Phoenix lived in California for a long time until he lost his job and got one in Phoenix. Sometimes how you were raised has a lot to do with it and I think it does in our case. I love my brother and will interact with him if he would behave himself, but he has a hard time doing that. He has made ethnic comments and other comments that have offended my kids. He is just a crass individual. I get along fine with the two sisters. Hope your money counting goes smoothly and your permanent looks great!

You all have a nice holiday!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! It's been a cloudy, little less humidity day so far. We are supposed to be getting some serious rain this evening. We balanced at church on the first try this morning. As I suspected, there wasn't much to count. Bob came along to change light bulbs but he was finished while we were still counting. I vacuumed, cleaned both bathrooms, and have a load of towels to fold yet. I think that sums up my domestic efforts for the day!

Maggie, that is a good combination of words and descriptions. The family trust is on a time limit and to be broken this summer. We will be cleaning the cabin out so it can be sold. Bob's brothers aren't interested in contributing to the expenses and we can't afford to buy them out at the market price.

"Gma," how was the mall? Hope it wasn't too crazy. I feel so bad for your friend. Some people just go from one challenge to the next. I hope she doesn't lose her job. I'm hoping that by having shorter hair this time, the perm time will be shorter. However, I'm not gonna hold my breath!

I suppose I should be thinking about something for supper. I really need to make a grocery list and head to the store. Maybe I will get there after my perm tomorrow morning. Hope you all have enjoyed a marvelous Monday!
Old 09-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. It is sticky here this morning again and going to be in the 90's.

I have bathrooms to clean upstairs today and clothing to put away from doing a load of laundry yesterday. Tomorrow is finish up cleaning the downstairs.

I just finished a good book, but boy she doesn't do red herrings at all. I knew about 4 chapters in who was the culprit(s) and what they were doing. I did enjoy the book though. It is a series so I may read more of them. This was a book bub freebie. I also finished the newest Sue Grafton book X I guess she couldn't figure out anything for the x, as in, "X is for..." So, the book is just X! I don't know what she'll do when she has written the last two alphabet books unless the character croaks or something. She could start with numbers. The skies the limit there.

I have a dr appointment a week from Thursday so I hope we can get all the health issues figured out and get me in a better place. I will have to go without eating on Thursday so I can have my blood tests done so I hope you doesn't get too backed up and I have to wait a long time. I have to get all my medication prescriptions too and then get them sent out.

Jean: We got to the mall about 10 minutes before the shops opened and parked right in front. We sat in the food court and dinked around with our Ipads then we walked the length of the mall to where the Sunglass Hut was at and it wasn't there any longer. Jack looked on the kiosk and it said it was on the upper level. It was next to one of the food court eateries! We went to get Jack another case for his Oakleys and I made the guy swear it was the right size and of course we got home and they don't fit. So, we will have to make another trip out there this weekend to return them. I ended up buying it on Ebay. Sheesh!!! We walked around some more and Jack wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch and we went down there. It is new so of course it was nuts. The entrance to the restaurant is outside the mall and there were at least 60 people in line to go in so we said forget it and left the mall and went and got lunch and came home. My friend is supposed to call me on Thursday when she finds out how her husband is as they had to change his surgical schedule because his ankle is too swollen to operate I guess.

Everyone have a good Tuesday.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:46 AM   #14  

Good morning, ladies! 73 degrees heading for the high 80s and sunshine today.

I'm still coughing but my sinus is finally clearing up. I wanted to go to the Y this morning but decided to wait another day before getting into the water. With the pool being emptied for repair and cleaning and then refilled, the water is going to be COLD for a few days. If I wasn't coughing, I'd go.

Today I'm vacuuming the downstairs and then I'm sewing some new valances for the sun room. I have 5 windows there so it takes awhile. This evening is quilt guild.

I'm doing well with this elimination diet and feeling better. It'll be interesting to see what actually triggers me when I start adding things back. Right now I have meat, fruit, veggies (a ton) and fat. I have been trying new recipes and enjoying them. It's actually nice to be free from weighing and measuring my food and I don't think I'm eating too much. I don't eat between meals at all and I'm not hungry or craving anything.

Faye, I'm sorry about your friend. I hope she doesn't lose her job. I just finished "The Nature of the Beast" by Louise Penny. It was great. Now I'm reading "Alert" by James Patterson. Love mysteries!

Jean, it's too bad you have to sell the cabin. It was a wonderful place for the grandchildren and I'm sure they'll remember it always. I didn't know you were also an only child. I was an only child, too. Sometimes lonely and envious of families with brothers and sisters.

Maggie, I hope your trip is going good. It seems like you just moved to KS, but I know it has been several years. I wish I was close enough to come to your yard sale for I know you'll have great stuff.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all. It is cooling off here now, but natural for this time of year. We are still topping out in the low 80's though.

I just finished paying bills this morning and balancing stuff. I do it daily so if there is anything that doesn't look right I can jump on it.

I got busy with something else and never got upstairs yesterday. I really need to get up there today and get some work done. I think when I finish here I will hike upstairs and work on the bathrooms and such. It is always something you have to do around here.

I am making salmon patties and mac and cheese for Jack. I will probably fix me some broccoli for dinner tonight. The baseball game is early afternoon so none of that tonight and I doubt there are any college football games on today.

We have a video camera to make videos, but I bought a selfie stick that should get here today so we can do some videos of ourselves together on the cruise. Don't know how that is going to go, but I told Jack we need to practice with them both. I have never used either and Jack wants to take and make a video for vacation. We bought a good video program, at least it is the one he wanted so we can edit it and such so we shall see. I also ordered short lightening cords for our Ipads in the car as the long ones we have get in the way and get tangled up when we travel. Jack bought come cupholder thing that has a bunch of usb ports and such so we connect two phones, two ipads and the gps. We have 4 cup holders, two in front and two for people who sit in the back seat, so we will put this thing he bought in the one between the seat so we then have the front ones available for drinks.

Susan: Did Stan have siblings? I thought years ago when he passed that you said you were both only children, but maybe I am thinking wrong. Except for my younger sister, we siblings are kind of spread out. Geographically, my family is all over the place too. My younger sister's kids live in California, Arizona and Texas. My brother's kids live in the Chicago area and are all in college there and my older sister's kids and grown granddaughters live in Indiana. I sure hope this diet can help you find what triggers the inflammation and as such your respiratory problems. Have you read any of the NYPD Red, the Women's Murder Club or the Private Series by Patterson? They are all really good. I don't like some of his other stuff. The NYPD series is about a special squad, the Women's series is about a group of women who have different jobs ie, medical examiner, cop, etc and they solve crimes together and Private is about a fancy private investigator corporation. I have several series books coming out in the next couple months. The new Evanovich book, the new JD Robb In death series, a new Felix Francis book. So I will have at least three new ones for cruising if I can keep from reading them!

You gals have a great day. Need to hop on the cleaning train and choochoo upstairs I guess.