Old 01-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #211  
Wife and Mother :)

S/C/G: bf 30%/16.5%/15%

Height: 5f 6

Smile IF - results

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have being doing IF'ing for 9 months now.

My eating window is 10 hours (as recommended by leangains for women).

Usually I eat 10am-8pm. This time suits me as a get to eat with the family at 5.30pm and a snack whilst watching tv about 7.30pm.

I also do weight training 1 or 2 mornings a week - lifting heavy, 2-3 sets of 5-6 reps - squats, deadlifts, leg press/extension mostly.

I don't do any cardio anymore, just a low/medium intensity walk with the dog 2-3 mornings a week. I'm not a big fan of cardio at the gym!

I have dropped my weight from 150lb to 120lb (with more muscle weight) since I started IF'ing, so am happy with the results!

I have a couple of pounds still to loose before I want to maintain and am having the old difficulty that when I eat a nible of anything the flood gates open and I start craving, then eat junk!

I read 'Eat Stop Eat' and did did my first day on Monday. I was really surprised that I wasn't hungry at all throughout the day. Although I drunk some black coffee, water, flavoured tea thorughout the day and then ate at 6pm with the family. I thought I would pig out after 24 hours of fasted state but to my amazement I just ate what I would normally eat for dinner anyway (what Brad suggests).

I am on day 2 of Eat Stop Eat today, and am not feeling hungry at all! But I know if I were to eat one little thing the hunger would come straight away!

This forum is a great resource, thanks for all the info and I will post back to let you know next Monday if there has been a drop in weight or body fat this week.
gamesmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #212  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm working in a 24-hour fast today. Have a wine and cheese thing to go to this evening and I want to be free to enjoy. Still, I don't plan on making a meal of it all. Trying to make up for a bit of overeating earlier in the week.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #213  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
If you're going to use BCAAs and your stomach cannot handle you should probably stick to pills.

I buy unflavored BCAAs for when I lift fasted but I mix in crystal light because the unflavored BCAAs by themselves are taste very bad.

Then again - BCAAs are certainly not necessary. If you're not looking to add muscle then I would just skip them.

The idea behind BCAAs is to turn on anabolism for people following the leangains method and attempting to add small amounts of muscle while dieting down to very lean levels. Martin has said they are not neccessary just optimal for those following his methodology.
JohnP, I'm glad you brought this up... I've been doing 20 g. BCAAs on my workout days, 10 g. before workout & 10 g. immediately after... do you believe there would be any benefit to doing more than that?.. like, 5 g. upon waking in the morning & 5 g. right before bed?.. plus, doing them on my non-workout days too?.. or would just be overkill, so to speak?..

Thanks!.. hugs
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 PM   #214  

S/C/G: 177/177/125

Height: 5'3

Once I start eating it seems uncontrollable. I don't eat a very large amount it just seems like I am always wanting to eat once I break the fast. During my fasts though I am not hungry or even thinking about food.. Do you guys have this problem? I did get a little off track due to TOM this week and a night of drinking at a concert and gained back 3 of the 6 lbs. I lost. Ugh! But I am getting back on track and making better food choices I closed my window tonight at 7:30pm. I'm hoping to lose 15 lbs. And get down to 165 by march 1st. *fingers crossed it goes as planned*
GetMyBodyBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #215  
Still Maintaining! :)

S/C/G: 260/146/146

Height: 5'6"

@GetMyBodyBack Actually, I find that I feel full pretty quickly when my eating window opens. The only thing I can think of to help is fast longer. I can't remember if you are doing Fast 5 or Eat Stop Eat, but for instance, if you are doing Fast 5 you could reduce your eating window to 2 or 3 hours perhaps? No clue really, just trying to think of something that might help.
KTucke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #216  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
JohnP, I'm glad you brought this up... I've been doing 20 g. BCAAs on my workout days, 10 g. before workout & 10 g. immediately after... do you believe there would be any benefit to doing more than that?.. like, 5 g. upon waking in the morning & 5 g. right before bed?.. plus, doing them on my non-workout days too?.. or would just be overkill, so to speak?..
What are your goals? The primary reason to use BCAAs is to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. I'm only going by what Martin from Leangains reccomends when I suggest to take 10g before workout. He only suggests 10 more grams if you can't eat within an hour of working out and spaces them out 10g every two hours.

Example - workout 8:00 AM - feeding window opens at noon. 10g BCAAs at 8:00 AM, 10g BCAA at 10:00 AM, meal at Noon.

Even then Martin says this is optimal but not necessary - again when the goals to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. Thus anything else is just tossing money down the drain.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #217  

I have been doing a 5 hour eating window and JUDDD ( eating 2600 calories
one day and 500 calories the next day) this has worked well for me. But like
some people here I don't get to hungry when fasting but once I start eating
I find it hard to stop. On my 500 calorie days if I eat a 100 calories here and there I seem to do ok but having 2 or 300 calories at one time trigers my hunger. Is there any good reason for this ?

On a different note I rember a study I read about exercise and consuming
protein. This study did not look at building muscle mass it was conserned with
something called cardiac reserve. They found that having 20 or 30 G of protein right after exercise enabled the heart to build this reserve capacity
something to help it handel stress like a heat stroke a lot better. And no I
don't rember where I read this article.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 246/201.2/150

Height: 5' 3"

Default new to 3 fat chicks and IF

HI I've been trying to find an IF support group online for Intermittent fasting. Is it too late to joing this group?

thanks!
wvuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #219  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
What are your goals? The primary reason to use BCAAs is to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. I'm only going by what Martin from Leangains reccomends when I suggest to take 10g before workout. He only suggests 10 more grams if you can't eat within an hour of working out and spaces them out 10g every two hours.

Example - workout 8:00 AM - feeding window opens at noon. 10g BCAAs at 8:00 AM, 10g BCAA at 10:00 AM, meal at Noon.

Even then Martin says this is optimal but not necessary - again when the goals to maximize muscle gain (or to help minimize loss) on heavy lifting days. Thus anything else is just tossing money down the drain.
Thanks, JohnP... my goal is really to minimize muscle loss, but if there's any muscle gain, that'd be a good thing... I think I'll just stick with what I've been doing & not add any more... throwing money down the drain isn't one of my favorite things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuchick View Post
HI I've been trying to find an IF support group online for Intermittent fasting. Is it too late to joing this group?

thanks!
Its' never too late, wvuchick... welcome!..

hugs

Last edited by Aunt Sheshie; 02-02-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #220  

Thanks for the welcome.

I should probably introduce myself a little

I've lost 31 lbs. through conventional dieting, counting calories, since July 2011. I don't actually remember where I came across IF, but I read Eat Stop Eat, and thought that it made a lot of sense to fast and thought I'd give it a try.

Today is my first day. I'm about 18 hours in and so far so good.

I've still got a lot of lbs to go. So I think I will still try to be a little strict when not fasting.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #221  
Still Maintaining! :)

S/C/G: 260/146/146

Height: 5'6"

@wvuchick Welcome and good luck!
KTucke7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #222  
Wife and Mother :)

S/C/G: bf 30%/16.5%/15%

Height: 5f 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvuchick View Post
Thanks for the welcome.

I should probably introduce myself a little

I've lost 31 lbs. through conventional dieting, counting calories, since July 2011. I don't actually remember where I came across IF, but I read Eat Stop Eat, and thought that it made a lot of sense to fast and thought I'd give it a try.

Today is my first day. I'm about 18 hours in and so far so good.

I've still got a lot of lbs to go. So I think I will still try to be a little strict when not fasting.
Wvuchick, welcome

Sounds like me in many ways! Did the conventional route and now doing a combination of ESE and Fast5. Weigh in on Monday so will get to see if I have gotten results! Although I do feel alot better already and clothes seem looser in 2 weeks

Today was REALLY easy, didnt feel hungry at all. I tend to do ESE on Monday and Friday
gamesmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #223  

Hey gamesmaster!

I can't "weight" to hear how you've done. I am going to do Mondays and Thursdays. My first day was really easy. If it gets easier like everyone says, I shouldn't have any problems.

I felt really good yesterday. I also think this will help me get over the feeling that I need to eat at certain times that I've conditioned myself to believe. Like usually at lunch, I am counting down the minutes, but today I was like I don't really care if I eat at all.

Good Luck on Monday. Tuesday is my official weigh in day. I'll be sure to report my results!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #224  

I'm feeling so much better since I started back doing IFing. I don't have a particular window. I just eat only in the evenings which consists of dinner and a small snack. I feel hunger pains and growling all day, but it's not that bad and I don't feel like I'm starving. These are just things I'm not used to feeling cause I never would allow myself to be hungry at all.

I have coffee and water throughout the day and that's it. I feel like my mind is sharper and I don't feel as tired. I'm loving it Hopefully, I'll lose weight in the process..
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #225  

HI Violet,
We are very close to the same weight right now. Maybe we can be buddies through this together. Thursday was my first fast, and today is the second.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in day. Wish me luck!