Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #16  

Good afternoon, ladies! A sunny day and 77 degrees.

I spent the weekend with my friend in Moon. Now I've got to hurry up and get my things ready to leave for retreat Thursday night - be back on Tuesday.

My bill for phone, internet and tv went up to $153+ and I said enough is enough. Changed back to Verizon with increased internet speed, DirectTV (210 channels and free DVR), and phone for - $76.99 a month for 24 months. I'd have been stupid not change.

It is sure apparent that fall is starting Friday. It's still dark when I get up now and the nights are down in the low 60s so I put a quilt on the bed.

Jean, you are a good lady to be giving blood. I'd like to but they won't take it because of my medications. I love Spider solitaire! I have Hoyle Game Pack on my computer.

Maggie, you will be all prepared for camping before you know it. My idea of camping is a Motel 6 instead of the Marriott! I like enamelware a lot. It reminds me of the farm where I grew up.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #17  

Maggie -- My iron count was one point too low to donate blood, maybe next month. My iron was where the doctor wanted it to be, but the blood bank requires it to be higher. Red dishes would be my choice of color! You will be out camping soon!

Susan -- The neighbor's leaves have started to turn colors and a few have fallen. I guess fall must be here or at least almost. I was thinking you were gone on the retreat this past weekend. You are a good friend to your friend in Moon. Can you get the local tv channels for news and weather with Direct TV? I don't remember which satellite company it is, but people around here had to put up antennas is they wanted local channels. I'm sure all the prices will continue to go up. I know there are technology smart people who can bypass "whatever" and get their service "free." That makes me mad!

I am heading off to bed. See you tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #18  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy cool day in my neighborhood this morning. I've been to get my nails done, took Bob to get his tractor at the plowing site, and then back to where he will store the plow to wait for him to come over hill and dale the back way. I have the hospital auxiliary board meeting at one and then bell practice later. Meanwhile am trying to finish up laundry in between my coming and going.

I need to change clothes and keep moving. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Cool Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 57 here in the Heartland and not expected to get over the 60's before this day is over. Cool. Fall is in the air. Not much happening around this berg this day. This month is already over half over and where does the time fly. I am not ready for real cold weather but some cooler fall days are nice. I really need to get that berber jacket to the cleaners. I cleaned out my hall closet that has shelves in it that I use for a pantry and it is nice and orderly now. I keep those large containers of spices I have in there where it is cool and nice and dark. Also containers of pasta and mixes live in there. The other hall closet houses some of Will's cleaning supplies and miscellaneous things. It only has one shelf at the top. I think for dinner this day I will make a stir fry of some sort and serve it over rice. Sounds good to me ~ all those yummy crispy veggies with some chicken. Yep ~ stir fry it will be. Don't get your "ah-ha" up over the "fry" part for I only use a skiff of oil to season the wok and the rest is spray. I don't use a ton of oil like they do in the restaurants. Those little "baked mozarellla bites" I got from Schwans are sure good. I had a few points left last evening and those are only 1 point apiece and sure go good with fruit. Life is good.

JEAN Yep those red dishes are nice looking. The rest of my spekeled ware is blue. I am so glad I have located a source where I can get the items on my list that we will need that we used to have and used a lot. Like the pitcher, collander and dish washing basin. All which can be put on the fire. However, I never put the collander on the fire but was able to use it other than just draining fruit and veggies. I am so glad I am able to find the things I know will work and do double duty. For instance I have some flat stainless plates with just a 1/2 inch rised rim about the edge which I will only take one along for it will work as a round sheet in that oven to bake things on. Use it as a serving tray also. I used to have a set of 4 but I don't know what happened to one and now I have 3 so if I put one in my camping gear that will leave 2 in the house. I use them a lot here in the house also and have had them for years and years. Anyway my point is that things should do double duty to earn their place in my camp kitchen. Have fun ringing the bells. What color are your nails this day? Don't you just love having them done. Sounds like you have a full day being out and about.

SUSAN Nice to hear all is well with you and you are keeping busy. Sounds like you have some fun adventures planned. I am hooked on Spider solitare ~ HAVE to play a game before going to bed. It is a ritual. You know there is some of the spekeled ware that is on the antique list. It has been made for lots and lots of years. There is a little market out in CA that we loved to visit and they had lots and lots of different things made out of that spekeled ware. That is where I acquired my tall coverd wire bailed pot which is still in good shape after being used a lot while camping. It is just the right size to heat water or soup in on one burner of the camp stove.

Have a wonderful humpday Magnolias Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-21-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #20  

Maggie -- It stayed in the low 50s and got windier as the day went along . . . not a nice day to stand around outside. My nails are "Pink of Heart" by OPI. I usually stick with pale pink for my fingers. My toes probably won't see the light of day again until January 31st when we land in Maui. We had turkey filets, baked beans, apple sauce, a roll, and ice cream tonight; we had tickets for the Rotary bar-b-q, but it isn't really a bar-b-q anymore. I'm going to pick up the kitchen, watch the 10:00 news, and head for bed shortly. We are heading to Ames tomorrow to take Bob's 93 year old aunt out for lunch!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is said to get into the high 70's this day and work it's way up into the 80's by the end of the week. I like it. I am having lunch, as I type, of a Schwans individual lite dinner of Beef & Portabella mushrooms with a medley of other veggies also which is yummy. Of course I am eating it with my chop sticks. Will is at his volunteer job at the museum and the dogs are snoozing outside and so I am home alone. We had colonel cluck last night so I will do the stir fry this evening I had been planning on doing. I like the chicken that is baked without skin from there. Very tasty indeed and fits nice and cozy into my program. I have located all the things I plan on purchasing for our camping excursions, I do believe, so it is now a matter of ordering them when I get the do-re-me. When I had all these things I want to get again I was able to go into just a couple stores back then and get them. However, now I find them on line for we don't have any stores around here that carry most of the items we need.

JEAN Your nail polish sounds like it is very pretty. Makes me want to polish mine. I have several bottles of pretty pale shades and the base and top coats also. Your weather sounds like winter is arriving. Burrr. Sounds like the Rotary put on a good feed. What fun to take out Bobs aunt for a meal. Does she live alone?

Have a wonderful day my Magnolia friends. Type at y'all later.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #22  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's a very cool 49 degrees here tonight. Most of the day was cloudy and cool, but the sun finally came out around suppertime. We drove 2 hours to visit with Bob's 94 year old aunt. She treated us to lunch at Red Lobster; she hops in and out of our car easier than I do. I'd even taken a little stool along to help her get in and out. Nothing would do be we have pie and coffee before heading home again. She does all of her own cooking even though she lives in an assisted living facility. She is planning her 95th birthday party next May!

Maggie -- Bob's aunt lives in Ames which is where Iowa State University is located about 2 hours from us. The eating places and shopping places are abundant for sure. She lives in a senior "care" center I guess you would call it. There is one main building that is built on multiple levels and angles so doesn't resemble a hospital or office building in any way shape or form. There are several 4 plex units scattered around the outside area which is woody with winding lanes and sidewalks. She has her large 1 bedroom apartment in the main building. There is "help" available should she ever need it, but for right now she does all of her own cooking and laundry. I think the housekeeping staff comes in once a week to dust and vacuum for her. There is also a health care unit where she can go if or when needed. Her building has the "country club" feel when you walk in the front door -- very nice. She delivers mail to the health wing, helps with bingo, and gives tours of the part she lives in. She is quite the gal! Bob says he likes old relatives!

I have a load of Bob's farm clothes to fold before I head to bed. Hope to see more posts tomorrow!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #23  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and it's a 38 degrees this morning. So far no wind which is a pleasant surprise. I need to do some dusting and vacuuming today. I have a couple coupons from the local shoe store so may take a look and see if they have something I like. I need some "jeans" shoes besides tennis shoes.

I need to check my church birthday card list and get the day going. I'm thinking may have to stop at the grocery store after I check on the staples. I hope the sun is shining on you, have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 09-23-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. Wills printer got used up so he had to go and get another new one. He has worn out two now and I am still using the first one I got three years ago but it cost 3 times more than the ones he buys. Plus I don't do the volums of printing he has to do on his. He really needs one working properly since he is resetting that book for the museum so they can get it in print again and sell it. He has to take the pages and redo each one in a bigger font and change the columns and replace the pictures on the page. OH folks, I got my Thomas Kinkade "Glory to the Newborn King" Nativity Tree delivered today. It is so neat. I will make sure it lights up then repack it in its delivery box for storage until Christmas time. All around the tree are tiny folks and buildings and animals. Something to see on every side of the tree. It will look great on my dining room table as a centerpiece. I am very happy with it, can you tell. I also ordered my camp oven today because it went on sale for half off so now was the time to get it. Such a deal. I ordered the stainless pots and pan set also since it came from the same company. The handles are trick and come off for easy packing. My list of what I need to order is shrinking.

JEAN It is chilly in your neck of the woods. Not so here for we are still in the fall type weather pattern. I hope you find some shoes that will work well with your "casual" attire. It will be nice when all the Magnolias get back to us and post regularly won't it. Bob's aunt sounds like she is doing well. Those assisted living facilities are real nice that I have seen also.

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 09-23-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #25  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I just got the neatest book in the mail that Will had ordered from one of his favorite book sites for me. Eat This Not That by David Zinczenko with Matt Goulding, which is the new 2011 edition and Will got it for 25% off for me. It has the best and worst of foods to order when eating out in many, many places. Pictures of each also. And at the grocerie store which packaged foods to buy and which to not buy. It is so interesting on telling what we buy regularly we can make better choices of which of whatever item to buy. They went by the calorie, fat and sodium totals for their determination. So when I make out my grocerie list I will consult this book. We already do buy some of the suggested brands they have chosen as "best for you." It is all about choices isn't it. There are so many products on the shelf today and it is not always easy to pick the best for you all the time. This book will help me a lot I do believe. What is really neat is that they have pictures of every product they speak of. Can you tell that I like it a lot? Will just came in with a real nice 14 inch tall bronze statue of a cowboy holding a saddle at his side. The ladies of the museum, where he volunteers, gave it to him as a "thank you" for all his good volunteer work that he has been doing for them. Now he is out buying another shelf to hang on his office wall on which to display it. Life is good.

Type at y'all later.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #26  

Maggie -- I never did make it shoe shopping today. I forgot it was Homecoming week and the parade was this afternoon. There was NO way I was going downtown when all the crazy "don't know how to drive" people would be gawking as they obliviously drove around. I did go have a former neighbor, who is a retired nurse, check my blood pressure. We had a nice quick visit, and always agree not to wait so long to get together again. I'm supposed to be checking my bp, at home, and will go back to the doctor next week with my readings. WM used to have a machine by their pharmacy but it was gone when I checked there. I'm glad your Nativity tree arrived in good shape. When we were in Penneys yesterday they had several large decorated trees up. I think this is way too early, but what do I know!? I know that Susan is gone, Faye should be home this weekend, and Gail is mia. It is quiet here. Enjoy your new book! It sounds like it would be a good one.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it's supposed to be warmer weather for the next few days. Bob is off to change the oil in his tractors so they are ready to go when the combine fires up. The guys are thinking they will be in the fields next week. Bob and Jason finished closing the cabin yesterday afternoon. They were taking the dock out and somehow Bob stepped on a loose board and into the lake he went! He always takes dry clothes along; he said the water wasn't nearly as cold as he thought it would be. Jason borrowed the pickup to go hunting in Wyoming so guess the boat won't leave the driveway for another few days.

I baked cookies last yesterday. I bought a pumpkin mix in a box and they are good! I have to bake a couple of different kinds of cookies for a meeting in October so think I will definitely bake them again.

I need to unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry. I also need to sort through my computer desk pile of notes that I write to myself and then never use. Have a relaxing weekend and enjoy!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #28  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

The weather folks say this will be an 86 degree day with partial clouds here in the Heartland. Another week is winding down and now we have an official day in Fall for it has arrived. to the cooler weather. It is so quiet here for Will is out and about and took the dogs along. That stir fry was yummy last night and reminds me I should do that more often. I think today we will grill some pork chops outside. They are back and Beanie delights in playing vigerously with his plastic milk carton in this office. It makes wonderful noise as he drags it and bangs it on this floor. More fun for him than on the carpet. What a charmer. Have you seen that commercial on TV with the little kid dressed up like Darth Vader? What a cute one. Kids and babies make the best commercials I do believe. OH and don't forget the dog that works for Travelers Insurance. He is a well trained pooch. Yep, I like that dog. They don't make the containers anymore that I like to put my stuff in for cooking out so I have been going through mine and changing them into other containers and putting the reclaimed ones into the dish washer. These are the Rubbermaid small ones that are straight up and down and they now make them all a different rounded style which don't fit tightly on a shelf. Anyway I like the older version better to fit in limited space so have them now to put powdered milk, pancake mix, Bisquick, instant potatoes, instant rice and misc. packets of Splenda, bouillon cubes and soup mix etc. That is 6 I have now to take camping. Not all at once probably but when I make a menu up for whatever time we will be out and about I can just take along the containers I have already prepared for the occasion and leave the others on the shelf. Meanwhile they can sit on a pantry shelf and be used and refilled as needed but ready to go also. I will type up the instructions for the mixes and will put them in small zip lock bags inside the containers.

JEAN You know it is good that Bob takes a clothing change with him when he is out and about. I can just see the surprised look on his face when he sliped right into the lake. Time sure flys for it doesn't seem like too long ago you were just putting the boat into the lake. Harvest time is here and there across our land. I love this time of year. The combiners. I have never tried those boxed cookie mixes and you have reminded me they make them so guess what I will be doing one of these days. I will add a box to my shopping list. What other cookies do they have beside the ones you got?

Time for me to get going. Type at y'all later

Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #29  

Hey gals, we are back! We picked up Fortune and came home and unloaded then went and got a bite to eat. My house is a disaster, but we will dig in tomorrow and get everything put away and laundry done and such.

We had a fabulous time, so much fun, and giggles galore. I am including a few pictures. Some of the theaters let you take photos and some not. Let's see, I got a bear, a kiss, sung to and "Elvis's scarf at the Elvis concert. At the production show "Hooray for Hollywood" they did a tribute to the Blues Brothers and their movie and "Jake Blues" (Dan Ackroyd's part in the movie version) came down, sat in my lap, sang to me and ran his fingers through my hair!!! We also were in the second row on the end at the Oak Ridge Boys concert and not only were up close and personal, Larry Gatlin was in the theater and came up on stage (see pics) We have wonderful food, great times and fun, fun, fun. There were almost zero kids except for locals and almost everyone was over 50 so cordial and friendly. Our hotel had cobbler and ice cream every night between 9-11 pm after the 8 o'clock shows and so a lot of us sat around eating and talking. Met a lot of great folks from all over the country and even Canada. The murder mystery dinner was fun, their food was ICK though. We did a lake lunch cruise on a yacht and I snapped a picture of the romance writer, Janet Dailey's house and one of my honey too!!!

I will check in tomorrow and catch up on things. Enjoy the photos. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elvis1.jpg (36.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg elvis2.jpg (9.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg jackvacation.jpg (20.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg janetdaileys house.jpg (13.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg larrygatlin.jpg (21.9 KB, 8 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #30  

Here's a couple more. You can only upload 5 at a post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oaks2.jpg (21.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg oarkridgeboys.jpg (10.6 KB, 7 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote