Old 06-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I was up and "ready" for the day to begin earlier than usual. I put in my time at the church office and was even able to answer some of the questions phoned in. Tomorrow is a quarterly mailing so that will keep me busy in the morning. One of my former special ed. students came in to see about volunteering in the church office. As I remember him, he has very hard-to-read hand writing, smells, rumpled clothes, and always looks like he needs a bath! I'm not sure how the interview went, but I'm hoping I don't have to work beside him! It's been a nice day, sunny and not too warm or humid for a nice change.

Susan -- I missed seeing the program but agree about kids being so overweight and that it is ok. Sad, is what it is! I'll bet you are enjoying your squeaky clean house today! My wedding dress was $125 in 1967. I was in college and my dad had me send $25 a month to the store in order to get the idea of paying something off I guess.

"Gma" -- I don't watch much TV either. If Bob is home he plays musical channels and that drives me nuts. I either read or get on the computer. I keep telling him if I had a laptop I could stay with him and chat with my friends while he watches TV. We had cake, punch, coffee, mints, and nuts in the church basement too! I had a couple of my college friends open gifts for us. I kind of like it when the bride and groom open them the next day or even after the honeymoon.

Bob should be home for supper in a few minutes. I'm not sure what it will be so need to check in the fridge. Enjoy your evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #17  

Good evening, ladies!

I went and got a much needed haircut today. We're supposed to have some much needed rain tonight and tomorrow. It's clouded up and the sky is dark so I hope it happens. Everything is very dry right now.

Faye, We got married in the Catholic church so there was lots of knelling and getting back up but we did have kneelers. My reception was in the church hall and cake, punch, nuts and mints. I did put off opening our gifts because we had a long drive to get to our honeymoon hotel. I hope your are better and can go swimming with T tomorrow.

Jean, I'd have loved to be able to make my own wedding dress but we got married 3-1/2 months after meeting (and people said it was a big mistake, but it did last and we were happy). We lived very frugally the first 2 years so we could move into our own home at the beginning of the third year. I like the Pawn Stars, too. The old man looks like someone who belongs to the mafia.

Have a great evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. I am going swimming in a couple hours if it doesn't rain. I got Kelly's email yesterday on their trip itinerary and stuff so it looks like T is going to have a grand time. I hope to swim with him tomorrow then that will be it as he is gone the two weeks, comes home, goes to another cooking camp I believe and then starts school. Boy time sure is flying. We leave for Indiana in a little over 3 weeks. I sure wish the Cubs would get their act together and start playing better. I am not looking forward to 3 hours in seats wayyyyyy to small for me in the upper deck in the sun and heat then have them play like crap. We are kind of trapped because it is a bus trip so we can't up and leave early if the game stinks. I do get to see my sister for a bit and spend the day with Jackson on Saturday though.

Susan: One thing you can say about "the old man" on Pawn Stars is that he always comes to work dressed up in a shirt and tie, no tshirts and such. You can certainly learn a lot of historical stuff watching that show and trivia too. I am amazed though that people bring stuff to a pawn shop and expect to get top $$ for it. I told Jack if I ever sold anything I would ask for a bit more than 50% than haggle to 50%. They don't cheat people, they just want to make a profit on whatever they buy. I saw a show last night where something sat for 13 years before it sold. I do love Chumley though. He isn't quite all there but he does try! lol Last night he made wine in an old fashioned wine making system and he went out and bought store grapes, put them in a plastic bag and got in and mashed with his feet! He then poured the whole mess seeds and all into the bottle, added some boxed red wine to it, sugar and yeast and left it for 3 months. He then wanted everyone to try it of course. Like they said, when Chumley makes an effort you have to at least try what he did, but I guess it was pretty disgusting. I would make bets he got his nickname from the Walrun on Tennessee Tuxedo. He was a bit slow too.

Jean: Yikes, you don't want to turn a volunteer down, but you probably don't want to have to be in an enclosed place with him either. Maybe they can give him a classroom or something to fold bulletins in or such. Jack has a laptop and still sits up in his office. He goes up there every evening at 6 pm sharp unless there is something he really wants to watch on tv. We sat and watched "Top Shot" on tv on Sunday and that was an interesting show.

I see it is 7:30 so I guess I better get in gear and get my morning chores done so I can squeeze into my suit and go across town. Have a good day all. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #19  

Good evening, ladies! Not so hot today and there's a cold wave from the NW coming in tonight. It will suit me fine. Now if we could just have some rain....

I had work today so that was nothing new. My garbage disposal dropped dead so I'll have to make a trip to Lowe's tomorrow for a new one. Always something.

Faye, I watched "Pawn Stars" last night, too. I knew Chumley's wine wasn't going to be fit to drink - he was using table grapes. There is a difference. I could believe he was stomping the grapes in a trash bag. My granddad made wine every fall. I wish I could see their shop. It's sure not like any pawn shop around here. I know you'll love seeing Jackson and giving him his bike.

Jean, how did the quarterly mailing go today?

Hi, Maggie, did you get the jerky?

Have a good evening.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #20  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood! The car said 75 degrees on my way home from the church -- perfect weather for me! I was busy doing church work all day so the day flew by. Tomorrow is another project -- mailing out the coffee committee schedule for the rest of the year. Tomorrow night we will go to a visitation in a nearby little town. The lady, and her husband moved here the same time we did and we played in 2 card clubs. She was my local "mom" for many years until she moved to Texas to be near her son and family. There is only graveside services on Thursday which we will skip.

Susan -- We have water coming in the basement from the last rain -- wish I could send you some! I'm getting a much needed perm on Friday and plan to have my "summer" cut which is shorter than usual. The mailing went fine -- a high school girl came in to help me. I do wish we had a "lickin' machine" though!

"Gma" -- I took my can of Lysol to work today! Bob came at noon to take me to lunch; the kid left first while I was locking doors and shutting off lights. I sprayed the chair, desk area, and phone before I left! He stinks bad! Hope you enjoyed your swim today!

I need to dream up something for supper -- thinking grilled hamburgers and potato salad sounds good. Enjoy your evening!

Maggie -- What have you been up to today? . . . and yesterday . . . and the day before that?

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-29-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Night

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

OK what has happened to my earlier post? The typing grimlin came and snatched it away. I just came in here to check what I have missed since I posted and mine isn't here. I don't feel like repeating it all again but it was just yackety yack anyway. I did lose another half pound which I am happy for. We didn't go to get our meat and jerky earlier so we will go tomorrow. Goodie Ragg Mopp gets to go to the groomer tomorrow while we are gone. We will drop him off all smelly and pick him all bathed and trimmed on our way back.

Have a wonderful sleep all Magnolias for I am going to go nighty night now. Type at you tomorrow when I get back from our butcher run.

Last edited by Maggie; 06-30-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:47 AM   #22  

Good morning to everybody! I woke up at 4:30 having to go to the bathroom so I just stayed up and did some chores, took out the trash as it is trash day and will go upstairs and get the bed made and such in a few minutes.

I am going to go and spend an hour with T swimming again today before he heads off for Europe tomorrow. They are supposed to bring their dog around 5:30 or so and then I expect she will be home packing and getting ready to leave tomorrow.

Jean: Pretty bad when you have to bring your own disinfectant spray just to do volunteer work. Don't you wonder what his home life is like. Wow you did have a nice summer day without all the heat and such. I noticed it was only 49 this morning in Indiana, but we are about 30 degrees hotter than that. It hasn't been as bad as it was but my ac runs constantly that's for sure. I imagine I will need to take out a loan to pay my utility bill this month!

Maggie: I sometimes wonder where my posts go too. I hate trying to recreate them, especially if they were "newsy" and long. Good for you on the lb loss. I am hoping now that I am no longer taking the pills that maybe the water retention and such will abate and I will start losing, especially with going over and going swimming.

Thomas, as always was a joy yesterday. We did some swimming races and you know I didn't win those. The little bugger swims underwater end to end in their pool and they have a decent sized pool. We did a lot of talking as usual. I asked him if he watched Pawn Stars and he said he loved it. We talked about it for a bit and he said when he was in Vegas with his Aunt he wanted to visit the store, but she wouldn't let him. He said he wanted to get Chumley's autograph, which I thought was cute then he added one of his "thomisisms" and said and then go back in and sell it back to him! Ony Thomas would think about getting an autograph of someone on tv in the pawn shop and then trying to sell it back to them! We got the giggles a few times with some horsing around we did when we were racing so it was a morning of fun that's for sure. He showed me a robot he built that he got for Christmas. It was pretty darn cool with led lights and everything. He was going to do some kind of programming with his computer to it when I left yesterday.

Well gals, it is time to get out of here and finish chores and get some breakfast. Another hump day has come around so hope yours is good. Faye
Old 06-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #23  

Good morning, ladies! A balmy 78 degrees right now, no humidity and overcast. It's supposed to be this way for at least 3 more days with nights in the 60s. I love it.

I turned the AC off and opened windows in every room. I did a load of laundry this morning, rearranged some of the furniture in my bedroom, and swished and swiped my bathroom. It's clean sheets and towels on laundry day. This afternoon I'm going outside and do some much needed weeding and work some more on the shed.

Faye, I'm so glad you and T have so much fun and a little time with no one else around. He'll remember it all his life.

Maggie, I have posts floating around in space, too. Maybe the astronauts will see them some day!

Jean, I really feel sorry for the kid who obviously has no example at home and/or a healthy problem. I saw a "Mystery Diagnosis" episode where a young lady smelled terrible. She even had the sweat glands under her arms removed, watched what she ate, used deodrant and showered several times a day and still stank. I forget what the final diagnosis was now, but the were able to reduce it considerably but not make it go completely away. What a life. Maybe you could tell a little white lie and give him soap, deodrant, toothpaste etc. and say it was samples sent for the volunteers. Think he would take the hint?

Time for lunch, then outside.

Have a great day!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #24  

Good morning everyone. I am kind of pooped this morning. Both dogs decided I was their favorite place to sleep so they were pretty much all over me last night. I came downstairs around 3 and tried to catch a nap in the chair, but up they came on that too so I will just have to try and nap today I guess.

Their dog is 14 years old, about half blind with cataracts and Kelly says he is partially deaf now too. He is a sweet thing and seriously less hyper than he was when he was young of course. He and Fortune get along great and he is no trouble at all. He has decided he likes Fortune's dog food more than his though so I may be going to the store if I run out in the next week or so. I am trying to keep an eye out as to who is eating so I make sure they both get food.

Susan: Take advantage of the mild temps while you have them. We are cooler at night now so that helps with keeping the condo cooler. I was out yesterday and it was upper 80's by around 11 here. It is still climbing to near 90 but at least we aren't having those 100+ temps. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished yesterday. I am working on two pairs of socks, one anklets for my sister and another pair for T. The yarn was originally for my dd but the color is just not a woman's color so I a striping the gold and the yarn left from Jackson's socks and it looks pretty cool.

One more day to the long weekend and I know Jack is looking forward to it. He has been working outdoors a lot so is getting a lot of sun. He will be brown as a nut when we go to Florida at this rate. Unfortunately, there is no good way to get to PCBeach and we have to take state roads from Birmingham Alabama the rest of the way otherwise we add about 4 hours to the trip. Jack is doing a count down so I know he is looking forward to it.

Well gals, I need to go and get some breakfast. Have a wonderful day today and have fun this 4th!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #25  

Good afternoon, ladies! Another day in the 70's - and I had to work.

I'll be meeting up with my friend Sandy in about an hour to go to dinner at Anna's (large Greek Salad for me) and then our quilting bee. Fun!

Faye, poor Jack working outside. I don't know how people do it! The dogs sure see you as the alpha of the pack.

Have a great evening!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #26  

Good Evening, Flowers! I am heading for bed shortly as I can hardly keep my eyes open. It was a beautiful day again today. Yesterday when I went to "work" there was a box marked ESL books on a bench by the door. I went to pick it up and all kinds of screeching happened. I went inside and told the custodian someone dumped a cat in a box outside and he could go and open the box. I had visions of a HUGE cat jumping on me! Well, there was a tiny kitten hanging around the day before and still there the next morning so he put the kitten in a box to try and find a home for it. He brought it inside and he ended up putting it in a garbage can, out in the hall, because it kept jumping out of the box. Bob brought some litter and food to me. We made several phone calls trying to find someone to take it; I even brought the carrier back thinking I would take it to the vet to be checked and then see what Ernie thought about it. A gal stopped in to pick up some paperwork and offered to take the kitten home with her. It would be quiet until it heard voices and then would start the screeching to be picked up. For such a tiny kitten it has a very loud meow and purred so hard it rattled. I hope it is big enough to survive without it's mother.

Maggie -- on another 1/2# gone forever! Maybe all of our posts met up together out in cyberspace somewhere.

"Gma" -- I think it is neat that you get to swim with Thomas! I hope the oil mess is better by the time you head to Florida. I don't envy Jack working outside in the heat. Bob gets really brown also -- right now he has white ankles and feet.

Susan -- I think Kenny's "smell" is just plain dirty body and dirty clothes. His hair always looks greasy and dirty; the school nurse did have several visits with him about personal hygiene. Obviously it didn't do any good. We kept hoping she would threaten to shower/bathe him at school!

I am heading for bed! Tomorrow will be early with a perm at 8, the cable guy coming after lunch, getting my nails done, and working on food for the weekend. I'd really like to stay home over the long weekend, but at least the weather is supposed to be nice! Have a Fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all! I am sitting watching a movie made from a Steve Martini book. I have never seen the end of it though I have seen the movie now three times so I am bound to see the end of it this morning.

I got a text from Kelly saying they made it to Rome so they are safe and sound for now. I know that Thomas has to be excited to be in Rome! Here he is on the train in Italy. He posted they were on the way to the Coliseum. He even is using a bit of italian! When we were swimming we talked about what we were doing for 4th of July and he said to me "I am going to be in two countries on the 4th." I guess they will leave Italy and go to Egypt on the 4th.

Well, something is wrong with Jack's knee again. He was working on some wiring above his head at work yesterday when a wasp flew into his face. He stepped back and felt a sharp pain behind his knee and on the right front (opposite side of where they repaired his meniscus) and it swelled up right away. We had to start all over again with the stupid clinic they use for OJI injuries but at least this woman had the smarts not to even try to treat but told him she was sending a request that he go back to see the ortho since he is post op. Unfortunately, she gave him nothing for pain so he was in pain all evening. He is having to work, but at least he is on desk duty until he sees a doctor again. Hopefully, he just strained some tendons or something.

Jean: I absolutely get madder than a wet hen for people dumping animals. That is how we ended up with Butterscotch. I saw an article from the South Bend Tribune that a woman who raised afghan hounds and had many cups and such from winning dog shows and such. Well I guess she lives in some fancy home with grand landscaping and such and a couple who have afghan hound found 25 emaciated and starving afghan hounds. There were 2 dead dogs in garbage bags on the property. They have no idea why this woman quit feeding her dogs. Even her grand champion was completely starved and boney. Unfortunately, because this couple removed all the dogs to the vets and such they may not be able to prosecute.

Susan: I think they think I am their mama! lol I at least got to sleep by myself last night! They are both sweet animals, but Fortune is really clingy and I want to make sure Marty feels really comfortable with us so when he jumps on my lap I make sure Marty can sit there too. Unfortunately, makes it hard to knit when you have two dogs on your lap!

We had to cancel our trip to Florida and reschedule to earlier in Sept. I found out yesterday that the huge motorcycle Thunder Rally they have there every year is the weekend we were going to be there. No way to I want to deal with a bunch of overage teenagers covered in tattoos and their women. I read a report on trip advisor a couple months ago from a couple that went to PCB when the rally was going on and they said it was horrible. It was loud and crowded and there were motorcycles everywhere mucking up traffic and such. So, I cancelled our hotel reservation and rescheduled to the middle of Sept. Jack said that because of the tropical storm the oil has pushed back west again so people in Pensacola and west are getting hit with the stuff again, which is good for us since we are eat of that but bad for them.

I guess I better get out of here. I want to finish the movie then get a shower and out to run a couple errands. The new postman won't deliver with the gate locked so I have to drive across town to pick the package with my yarn in it up. Have a great weekend all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34729_407855117185_698722185_5082186_530921_n.jpg (31.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by gma22; 07-02-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #28  

Good morning, ladies! Another day is the 70s and I'm loving it.

Nothing happening today but working on my sewing room. I finally ready to start sorting my fabrics and getting them straightened out and all in one place again. That will take most of the day for sure.

Faye, I am so sorry about Jack's knee being reinjured. I think I told you when I injured mine I was in the hip to toe brace for 6 weeks then PT. I opted out on the surgery because the ortho said it was 50% successful. I hope it's something else for Jack this time. Ah, to be in Rome. I was there when I was 26 years old. I'd so love to go back, but no money until I win the lottery. I hope Jack's knee improves before your trip to IN. I've been watching the Memphis Cops show on TLC. Looks just like Newport News in the east end.

Jean, its deplorable the way people treat animals. I always saw the same thing should be inflicted on the abuser and see how they like it. Its a shame that boy comes from such a home life. A tip from Dr. G, the corner, put a little Vicks under your nose to keep the smell away. Enjoy the lake!

There will be a big celebration at Yorktown on Sunday, the 4th. As you know from your history books, the last battle of the revolutionary was was won at Yorktown and Cornwallis surrendered here. There will be a reinactment at the battle field, fife and drum corps and parade, etc. And huge fireworks at night. Of course, I'm also right by Langley AFB and they will have a concert and fireworks, too. I can sit in my backyard and watch theirs.

Have a great day!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a hot muggy day here in the Heartland. May rain and I sure hope it does. Our lawn is sure looking good. Will has been actively attacking any of the weed thingies that popped up when the new grass came. I made a delicious dinner last evening of meat loaf, augrottens, jicama~orange~pruple onion salad, corn on the cob and rolls. A definite man pleaser around here. Will likes the leftover meatloaf in a sandwich the next day. Our houseguest thinks I am a gourmet and gives good reports to his folks about us. I would like to meet them for they surely did excellent parenting with this young man. Among other things he is quick to volunteer to take out the trash. What a nice young man. Am I repeating myself? Ragg Mopp loves him also. I just sneezed number 5 on the rictor scale. There is so much dust in the are in this Heartland that seeps in every nook and crannie when the wind blows ~ when doesn't it blow.

DONNA FAYE Another cute picture of T. Thanks for sharing. He is one fortunate child to be a world traveler at his age. Hope you did get to go swimming this day. OUCH....poor Jack and his knee. Hope they get him back to exact soon. I think you will enjoy your vacation much better now that you have rescheduled it for after school starts.

JEAN That kitten sounds like one I would love to have, not a bit bashful is it. I do belive that woman who had those award winning dogs that ended up abussing them has lost her grip on life. Something not quite right in that head of hers. Too bad she didn't seek help with her problem before she did that to her dogs. Sad thing.

SUSAN What fun to clean up are organize your sewing room I would think. After I do a glass project I clean up this room and get all my things that I used put back in their place ready to start a new project. It is necessary to do that for my work is done in phases and it is necessary to keep my glass cutting area clean for I use it for my soldering and building area also. Up against one wall I have a low stand that is long and holds four class racks that are full and I have the glass all arranged in like colors. I organize my bone pile and placed like sizes standing on end in water bottles that I cut down. Makes it easy to see what I have and if I need just a small piece of a color ~ there it is. Yep, being organized is good and I can imagine your different pieces of cloth looking like a rainbow. Life is good.

Every one have a lovely day. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I will chat with you while I wait for the cable guy to arrive. I got my perm this morning; she cut it way shorter than I wanted but it will grow eventually. I don't know why I waste my time telling her what I want when she does it "her" way anyway. I have a list of things and food to get ready for the lake tomorrow, so that will be my afternoon until 5 when I get my nails done.

"Gma" -- I'm glad that T and family have arrived safely. Thanks for sharing the picture! I hope that Jack's knee injury/pain won't last long this time. It's too bad he couldn't have a permanent desk job. Did you happen to see the article about the cat who was run over by a combine and lost both back legs? It was taken to a vet who in turn to it to a vet school; they made paws and peglegs for it so it is doing well. It looked a little strange though. I think you were wise to reschedule your Florida trip. I'm sure the bikers are nice people but I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the rally.

Susan -- Having your sewing room all organized will be a great job to have done. St. Cloud has a huge quilt store (warehouse ?) and my sister visited while we were in MN. She said she was so overwhelmed with all the fabric choices she couldn't make up her mind on anything. She left without buying and that surprised me. We did go back to the little shop in a nearby town and she found several fabric pieces there. It's nice you can watch the fireworks from your yard. I hope the mosquitoes don't carry you away. They are just terrible around here and it doesn't matter what time of day I go out. Beth said Maddy was covered after the ball game last Saturday, and she had bug spray on too.

Maggie -- It is windy and humid here today. I turned the air on and Ernie whined to have his favorite window open. At least it faces east so doesn't feel too hot. I think he knows we are leaving again because he has been following me around when I'm home. Now I kind of wish I would have brought the kitten home, but Ernie is so much bigger and I was afraid he might hurt the kitten. I knew I would have to keep them separate at first and since I am working in the church office again next week I just didn't want the worry.

The cable guy just pulled in the driveway so I'm off! I hope I am smart enough to run the new piece of equipment! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2010 at 04:48 PM.