Old 07-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #181  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I think I missed something. Looks like you need an extra Annie. Here's another in case the first one didn't stick

And a big one for you Patty

Mel, loved your happy Friday lady but it reminded me of how bad my boobs look now.

Ceejay - sometimes just hanging around the house is a very good thing. Hope you accomplish alot.

Michelle - I'll hold the chair and you climb up and make those clock hands move a bit closer to the weekend, will you please? Although we don't want to mess up your back any more so maybe I'd better do it even though you are "taller" than me

DH is going to a class today and tomorrow which means I have the house to myself for a bit this evening and all day tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it even though he took my gun with him. Guess I will just have to sic ferocious kitty on anyone who tries to break into the house. Did I ever tell you I always feel like someone is casing the house when I'm home by myself? ALWAYS felt that way.

Back to work now.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #182  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy - You didn't miss anything. There was a post on Facebook. Annie is a bit down right now. I'm sure she'll appreciate the hugs. I ain't gonna climb up on any chairs....DH did that this week, fell and hurt his back bad. Since it was a work injury....he went to the hospital, and they did a CT scan. Luckily nothing broken...bruised back and bruised tailbone. So no chairs for this chick. Maybe Annie will move the clock for us. Enjoy the house to yourself. Your DH took a gun to class? Is the neighborhood bad? I didn't know you carried a gun. Is your neighborhood bad? I'm lucky in that I live in a VERY quiet subdivision in a relatively small town, and my neighbors all look out for each other. My next-door neighbor is a cop too. We sometimes leave the front door open all night to cool off the house. I don't do it while DH is gone though....I sleep so soundly I wouldn't hear anyone trying to get in. I had no idea you were so uneasy when alone in the house. I guess that explains why you have a gun.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #183  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Guess yesterday came and went without input from me - and yet you all survived. We have miracles

Annie - I hope Mum is feeling a bit better today. Happy - Mum had a fall is somewhat fragile. Annie is worried about her. It's hard to see our old folk failing like this, but we must remember that in real life we all age and sometimes not too gracefully either. We need to prepare ourselves for those days. Sometimes it comes as a shock, sometimes as relief, sometimes as permanent worry - as in Annies case. But we all get old and will continue to age as day passes night.
Annie - lotsa hugs coming your way. Know that we are thinking of you.

Happy - So DH has gone off to his class. I guess you must have wiggled out of it in some way. Just go home, secure yourself in the house and keep busy. Always works for me. And you know how I feel about guns. I wonder how many pistol packing mamas I have passed, encountered, jostled against during my journeys around the States. Sorry, couldn't live that way.

Patty - I'm sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations at work. It's not a happy time in the work force right now - anywhere in the world. I hope that the ones who like your work will be able to sway those who make the decision. I'm not a fan of the good old days, however there was some peace in knowing that if you went to work on time, put in a full days graft, and came home knowing that you had done as much as you could and your job was more or less secure. But those were the good old days and are no more. Best of luck and my thoughts are with you for your job.

Ceejay - you busy little bee. You'll have as many 'toys' as me soon. I might need to step up a notch. He who dies with the most toys wins as they say. Why I am not sure. If you are dead you can't get much pleasure out of them.

Mel - Hope you managed to get outside and grab some vitamin d. I'm off out there shortly to dig some more and put in my wee plants. I have some thyme which will spread and hopefully keep down the weeds like the oregano does, and some parsley. I also bought some gerberas to bring in some colour in a patch. They do well in the dry soil around here. I also picked up some more heliotrope - little purple flowers with a huge vanilla scent - because the original stuff is getting somewhat woody and leggy and may need to be pulled out or cut back - even that came through the drought so I don't want to pull it out if I can help it. The garden should smell pretty good soon.

Another beautiful day here in paradise. I'm about to shower and then hop out into it before it gets hot although it is only supposed to get to about 22 today 74F but there is little breeze and the garden is pretty secluded these days so we will get a little warmer than that.

I'll catch up later - have a good sleep. The weekend is here.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #184  

For those of you who remember Madcat on this thread.
Sherry's sister passed away today. Understandably she is very upset.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #185  
Choose your hard

GM to all,

Sherry - my heart goes out to you on the loss of your sister There are no words of comfort other than you were the best to try and make her happy. She will always be a part of your heart. My deepest sympathies to you.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #186  
Choose your hard

DH is off at part 2 of his financials class. I have the house to myself all day and I am about to do some major tossing and cleaning. It would be all too easy to blow away half the day at the computer so I'm going to beg off for now and will be back later tonight.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #187  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHERRY AND MARK & FAMILY,
I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. I HOPE ALL THE GOOD MEMORIES OF TIME SPENT WITH HER WILL SEE YOU THROUGH THE TOUGH TIMES.
WE SEND OUR SYMPATHIES TO YOU ALL.
LOVE MEL, JEN & RICHIE
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #188  

Morning all,
It's a bit overcast over here today, but that at least is helping my little plants dig in and establish. Yesterday I put in some lettuce, parsley, basil, thyme and sage. I also have to put in the gerberas today. I've decided to make a feature out of them in blocks of colour. They are such cheerful flowers even if they don't have a perfume.

So today will be some more weeding, and some more fertilising, watering and planting. I'd better get something done in the house as well.

Happy - DH will come home to nothing in the house!! but then again maybe he might be happy with that

Mel be in touch asap, but don't hold your breath. Couldn't get the old computer to turn on this morning. I'll have another go later.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #189  

This site is playing up this morning!
Lets try to post once more
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #190  

And now it is all there. WTF
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #191  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHAD...DID YOU GET MY LAST MESSAGE? I'M USING THE POSTAL SERVICE INSTEAD. THANKS ANYWAY. HOPE THE WEEKEND WENT WELL.

I WAS ON THE LIST FOR THE MALL TOMORROW BUT I AM INCREDIBLY TIRED. JUST WANTED TO POP IN HERE TO SAY HELLO IN CASE I DO END UP GOING.
HOPE THE WEEKEND WENT WELL FOR EVERYONE! MINE IS QUIET AND MEL-LOW!!
WAVING A HAND TO EVERYONE. JUST TOO SLEEPY TO DO PERSONALS,
HAPPY MONDAY/TUESDAY TOMORROW.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #192  
Choose your hard

Hi Mel,

I see your little light a shining now get off the computer and go get some rest!
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #193  

Hello Ladies,
Not much going on. Ran errans most of the morning yesterday and then took a long nap. Today lots on my list, church, clean house etc.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #194  
Choose your hard

Hi Patty - sounds like you had the perfect Saturday to me.

DH was gone all day yesterday. I deep cleaned the kitchen including washing the cabinets. He walked in and said, ah it smells so nice and clean. I said yeah but at this rate, it will take me 6 weeks to get through the house and then I'd have to start all over again I then had to follow around and keep picking up as things kept appearing on the counters and the sinks - so easy to drop stuff off and get things cluttered again.

DH's class was downtown across from the Gibson guitar factory. They were having a huge sale of one of a kind and prototype guitars. There was one that caught his fancy on Friday and he was lusting after it at lunchtime yesterday. He did call to ask my opinion. I said ok, just know the guitar will cost your twice what the sticker price says. He was confused until I explained that if he got something, so would I - only fair, right? I could use some dress slacks for work and there is a big sale at Macy's right now though last week would have been the week to go as I'm sure the stuff is picked over now. We are going out later today to check out some comfort shoes. There is a brand MBT which reminds me of walking on springs. It has a rocking motion which is naturally a bit unstable (but just slightly) so that your muscles work a little harder. It's similar to the concept of working out with a stability ball doing ab work. I ordered a pair of these shoes from Zappos but they are Mary Janes and after wearing them for an hour at home, the top rubs uncomfortably on the top of my foot. I'm going to try the sneaker style at this store. They have shoes for men too so maybe DH can find some too as we are both in the quest for comfortable shoes. Sadly they cost an arm and a leg (not quite the price of a custom guitar) and I am long past the $10 Payless Shoe stores and flip flops that all the kids wear. I see more people in movies wearing the 3 inch or higher pumps and I marvel at how they can do it. I can't even stand a 1 inch heel on my arthritic toes anymore. Thank goodness I don't wear dresses anymore.

Let me clear up something about the gun - part of my post was tongue in cheek. Let's face it, crime is on the rise and one of the worst things about Memphis is the high crime. It's pretty bad when I learn to shoot. Although the town I live in has one of the lowest crime rates in the entire state, unfortunately outside of sleeping, I often have to leave my little home to venture out into the big, bad world. Unlike Chicago which was much much bigger, I could live my whole life and never go into the more unsavory parts of town. Not true here because it's much smaller so you HAVE to go through areas you'd be better avoiding to get from point A to point B. Like driving to work, I go through an area that I refuse to drive through past 6:30pm at night. There are 2 kinds of crime here - the most frequent is crimes of opportunity whereby criminals just want your stuff, they don't necessarily want to come face to face with you. These are the people who break into cars (can't believe people are so incredibly dumb to leave packages, cell phones, laptops, GPS units, purses and wallets in plain sight). Then there are the groups that troll the better neighborhoods (where they know people have computers, electronics, cash, basically anything of value that can be fenced) and they case the area looking for patterns. They will break into houses when they know the people have left for work or out to run errands. Unfortunately, I live close enough to the highway exit which provides a quick getaway for the criminals and that makes ours an attractive area for daytime thefts. You are better off in a gated community though it is horridly expensive for maintenance. In Memphis, just like downtown Chicago, you have to go through some bad areas between your destination and the highway. Because DH was going to be down there at night, he wanted to take his gun. It's more the case that if the car broke down, you'd likely be robbed or worse if you were sitting there defenseless waiting for help. The other thing is that the animals hunt in packs here. It's not one or two guys jumping you, it's more likely 4 or more which makes it extremely difficult to defend yourself. Graceland (Elvis' homested) is in a very, very bad part of town. I'm sure the police patrol the immediate area because of the tourism but I often wondered about the throngs of tourists that come here - many from out of the country who might be foolish enough to think that they can go for a walk on a summer's night and take a look around. If I paint an ugly picture it's because in part, things are not as safe as when we were growing up and some places are worse than others. That's why, 5 minutes after we know we have the means to get out of here and take care of ourselves on our own, we'll be packed up and the for sale sign nailed in the front yard. I would never recommend anyone coming here and I understand now why so many people told us when we moved here that it was ok to work here but was never a place they'd retire at - unless of course they were born and raised in the area in which case like my Mom - you tend to turn a blind eye to how much things have deteriorated.

Anyway, I have certainly prattled on this morning. I need to get a shower in and get some food in our bellies before we venture out. Have a good Sunday ladies.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #195  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
Oh and to start the month off on a nice note - here's a spot to come to to meditate when/ if the going gets rough. It's the Chinese Gardens in Sydney
I'm so jealous of your peace place! I miss Oz. My old peace place is the pic in my avatar (Noosa National Park, Qld)
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote