Old 04-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #136  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Listen 37 - Kat is Great - whatever!! LOL - -
I must make a clarification here - I did NOT run more than 90 seconds - I was scared! I FLEW!!! LOL

And - - it was all downhill. Don't give me too much credit - I have 37 of my own unwanted lbs going on here, hahaha
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #137  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking We have liftoff!!!!

I did it!!! I have successful liftoff on my no smoking challenge!! It was really, really hard. When I declared that challenge yesterday I didn't think I'd be subjected to the ultimate temptation of going out for drinks. That was what I was first doing, only smoking when drinking. The fact that I had started to smoke at other times was what prompted the challenge, but I thought I'd have a few days at least before I allowed myself to drink and be subjected to the siren call of the cigarette. Well, I was at the racetrack and able to meet up with a friend whom I rarely see. He smokes so it makes it harder and I almost caved in. But I kept thinking of having declared it here and having to come in and say I'd failed. And I thought that heck, this is why I made the challenge, because I'm angry at the feeling of not being able to resist. So, it got my fur up so to speak and I resisted, God darn it!!
I woke up this morning feeling mighty proud of my accomplishment. It's a rare day when I can smile before I've pulled myself out of bed (er...off the floor) but I did this morning. Whoooo HAAA!!!!

Day 1 completed on No Smoking Challenge -- no pauses allowed

I also recharged my DS Lite so I could use that to study with. I figure if I have something to do it'll help me in those times when I just want to smoke. The DS thing I can take with me anywhere. Besides, it's good for my Japanese. I study kanji on it, the Chinese characters.
As for drinking, I figure that if I'm out drinking and I feel my resolve not to smoke caving then it means I've had too much to drink and should call it a night. There usually comes a point when I can't resist any longer because I'm becoming too inebriated, in other words, dumber and dumber!

unwanted -- It's good to hear you're so motivated. It also sounds like you were born to be a runner, so good for you for being resolved to do what it takes. It's our latent potential, latent talents that we have to bring forth. Nobody gets anywhere just expecting things will happen on their own (though a lot of people think that's the way it is). I get people asking me all the time how I get so good at foreign languages and, while I do acknowledge that I seem to have somewhat of a gift for them, I also put a LOT of hard work into studying and, perhaps more importantly, applying what I learn. The people for the most part don't seem to want to hear that part. They make excuses and when I come back and say how I have the same problems and try to help them overcome them by explaining how I do it, that's when they stop asking entirely.
You, on the other hand, seem to understand that hard work is going to be needed to get you where you want to go. Good for you and power to you!!

miriam -- Funny, you had the same response to unwanted's name. I hated calling her unwanted at first but am used to it now. After all, we know the rest. I hate to use any real names or something not immediately understandable to newcomers to the thread because it makes it more inaccessible. Some of these threads are so sewn up that you feel like you're intruding if you try to join. I try to keep this thread open to anyone who wants to pop in and join, even though the vast majority of people I know are going to be shooting stars, coming in all revved up and then disappearing. It's sad but after literal years of these challenge threads, I can see the patterns.
You know, about the celiac, I wouldn't think of things as NEVER. I mean, heck, you still can eat the gluten, just suffer the consequences. If you think of it that way and even allow yourself a bit every once in a while, then it won't be so painful. No?
Thanks for the encouragement on the no smoking. This thread and your support really, really help! Oh, and I'm glad you liked the picture. I keep a bunch of such animated graphics in photobucket.com and then use them for illustrations. I was doing it a lot there for a while when you were "on sabbatical," but got out of the habit. The fact that I'm doing it again shows I'm in a far more positive state of mind.

Ok, I may be starting up some more challenges. I don't know. Maybe I should just stick to the no-smoking for now...will chew (no pun intended) this over....

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #138  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hiya Red,
Just a wee note about the stopping smoking challenge. Great challenge by the way. But don't throw all the cigs out just yet. I stopped smoking 20 years ago and I still have two from the last packet I ever bought. Sounds strange, but sometimes when you think you need a smoke - the thought that you don't actually have any just makes you want to up and go buy some. If you don't put that thought into your head you may just feel better about it. You know the way our stupid brain works - I have two but I don't want them. I have none - ohell, how I want one! You may get some exercise tearing off to the nearest late night store or servo, but it doesn't do you much good really! And I find you smoke more faster if you have to go out and get one - poor little deprived (depraved) brain. Well that's how mine worked anyway. What you really need to be able to do is to get them to make you sick. That way, you never want another one. Believe me - that's what happened to me.

Good luck with this one. I know you can do it because I know you have done it before.

Last edited by Shad; 04-19-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #139  
Never give up

Talking Day 2 done!!

Hey there, Shad. Look at you popping in as if....dare I say....you had been lurking all along! Advice taken on the cigs but I'll be OK. You know it's different over here (and I'm not in the boondocks, but smack right in the middle of Tokyo). I can want a cig and have it in less than 50 steps at any time of night or day. So, I'm not worried about the mad rush to find a store like I'd have to do if I were in the States, or, God forbid, somewhere like Oz!!
But thanks for the concern. My mind may work a bit differently from yours. Mine does far, far better with no mention, no reminder, no nothing to get me thinking. I'm very basic, a black and white out of sight out of mind type.
Good for you for staying off the fags for 20 years. I was nearly there myself and, to tell you the truth, I wasn't really allowing myself to think of myself as a smoker yet. It was on and off, but that dream the other night did it. It made me mad!
Second success today. Sitting over coffee at an outside cafe with a smoker, with whom I had just been smoking a couple weeks ago.
Nope, I gave away a bagful of partially smoked cigarette packages today. Sayonara!!
Thanks though, Shad, for popping in here to help. You're like a guardian angel or something.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

Okay I was very sick and needed my sleep, sprite and meds, but now I'm back!

Day 1 of all three challenges

*1 pause for each challenge allowed*

Challenge One: Stay under 1500 calories

Challenge Two: No Soda

Challenge Three: Be active every day for at least 30 mins (walking, running, ellipticalling, or weight lifting)
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Day 14
- Alcohol in moderation (max 1 glass on weekdays, 3 on weekends): no pauses left
- NO junk food: 1 of 3 pauses left
- 30 min of activity/day: 1 of 3 pauses left

I was doing taxes this weekend so was out of town all of sunday and didn't get my activity in. But otherwise everything is going surprisingly well!

<><><> 7 more days until 21!!!!! <><><>

Guess I've gotta really buckle down to get through them!

april, how goes the challenge?

red, I think that a no smoking challenge is brilliant. It's one of the best things you could do for you and your body. doesn't hurt the wallet either I bet.... or maybe that's not an issue in Tokyo? And I am totally impressed with your ability with languages. It does take a lot of work and study and I know for a fact that I just don't have that kind of patience and drive to learn. Although, I would definately do it and try to master if I lived in another country.

37, Running seems to be almost a meditation practice for those that are good at it. You just reach that inner peace in your mind where time flies by. I have never been able to achieve that! The only thing I can think about when I run is how much I look forward to it being over.

saramommy, aw that sucks with the exercise challenge! I'm not too far off restarting for that reason too! bugger.

Miriam, how am i doing for my april 25 goal? well.... my body doesn't seem to realize that it has a timeline it's supposed to be following. I may have to re-evaluate my whole goal set up because it seems that for the last 8 weeks I'm consistently losing weight but only 1 lb a week! I probably could try for more than that but that's normally when I start getting in trouble and putting it back on. Maybe I'll just aim for a happy 170 by june 27th. I'm exercising so it'll be less jiggly at least. The first stage where the water weight *whooshes* off is such a feel good! As for wedding, I don't know what my flowers will be until Wednesday but we're leaning towards roses, orchids, and gerbera daisies. All deep reds and whites.
btw, i've been called PB & prep mostly.

Angeline, glad you're feeling better and back at it!
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #142  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Flyby here - day 5 complete
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #143  
looser

S/C/G: 185/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

mirriam - thank you for your post! you crack me up!! haha i always enjoy reading your posts!

redballon - thank you somuch! I really REALLY really needed to hear it!

preppping - you are right! its very mind-cleaning thing! I too sometimes think that its time to stop but then on the other hand i encurage myself by thinking "if you stop you wont be able to feel your legs like you are feeling now for loooong 24 hours" and that means to me i need to wait a whole day just to feel this push-to-the-limit feelign! It noramly works lol.. i LOVE feeling the burning pain of exercise! again, its like drug to me! and i notice the more stress i have at home (2 kids, work) the more intance i exercise

Last edited by unwanted37lbs; 04-20-2009 at 03:52 PM.
unwanted37lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #144  
looser

PLEASE WELCOME MY NEW SIGNATURE, EVERYONE!

lol i am so excited for those 20 days to be over... seemed like the longest 20 days i have ever had!
Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #145  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Guardian angel???? Who me, not likely. More like the Devils advocate.
What makes you think that I can't get the filthy weed here at any time of the day or night? Um a 500m jog at midnight will get me to the nearest 24hour servo. On the way I could probably pick up a few other weeds and powders.
But it's whatever rattles your cage and so I wish you the best for a successful challenge - and yes I do lurk. Life is not such at the moment that I can take up anything for 21 days straight. Sometimes I think I live on airline meals. Yukk.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #146  

Howdy. I am back, sort of. I DID finish the exercise challenge, yay.
Then I had family visting and then we went away for a bit, the kids had spring break. So now I'm getting back into routine, at least a little bit. My SIL is still here but I think she is leaving soon. Not sure. I'm not good at controlling what I eat when people are around. But I need to buckle down cause I'm running out of time. I want to try a fruit flush or something to get a jump start. But like I said, hard to do with a house guest. Hopefully I will figure out an exercise schedule soon and that will be my next challenge, to stick to the schedule.
Good to see everyone here, the thread is busy and everyone seems to be doing great.

Last edited by Apple Blossom; 04-20-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #147  
One day at a time...

Day 3 +4 Complete!!

Level 1:

Challenge One: Be active in some way for 30 minutes.

Challenge Two: Drink 100z of water.

Level 3:

Challenge Three: No "sweets" cookies, candy, cake, ice cream

Still holding all of my pauses. Barely!

Kat, my belly just loves the sweets. I could do nothing else, and just cut out the sweets and I'd still knock off a few lbs a week. It's scary. That's why I had to choose the challenge with 3 pauses, lol.

Hi Miriam! I'm surviving, preppingbride. Yesterday was rough, it was Easter for us so the food was in abundance! I kept it moving by chasing after a two and three year old. Boy, that is better than my elliptical! You guys all rock, thanks for the support!

Excellent job everyone! Keep plugging!
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Talking

Red-Great job on your challenge!! Keep it up!!!!

Welcome back Apple!! We missed you!!

37-You're doing great...you're an inspiration!! Oh, and yay on your new sig!! ...I just got mine too! Isn't it fun?!!

Miriam-I do a workout DVD "Slim in 6" or go walking.

Challenge:

Exercise everyday: Day 3 - 3 pauses

No desserts: Day 20 - no pauses left

No bad fast food: Day 21!!! ...as of yesterday
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 AM   #149  
looser

saramommy - wow look at you! you are half way there!

day 16 of 5K complete i was so slow today (45 mins) - didnt feel like running. So i was mainly walking and ran 2 times (2 mins each)

Last edited by unwanted37lbs; 04-21-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #150  
Never give up

Day 3 on No Smoking is complete!!