Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #16  
a work in progress...

Hello there, Fresh Starters! Wow, this has been a busy week and it's only half over... I hear ya, ceara, on not blowing it at the end of the day! I am perfect all day long... til I (finally) get home... and then? Gotta work on that! I realize that with many things to do and places to be, I sometimes tend to let myself get too hungry, and when I do get home, it sure is easy to go overboard. Even if I'm eating "good food," I find myself eating TOO MUCH. Could explain why I stayed the same this week at weigh-in. No matter. I did NOT gain... and that is a GOOD THING.

I must say, I am aware of what I'm doing, and even in the midst of overeating, I am still choosing better than I might have in the past. All part of the process, I suppose. I'm not beating myself up over it either. Next week will show a better number, I'm sure.

Welcome, anewlife4me! Always good to see a new face in the Palace! Tell us more about yourself!

Sorry to hear there are sick lassies about... I'm hoping you're all feeling better ASAP!

Thanks for all the well wishes for Mom! She's in a lot of pain, but decided the itch from the Morphine was worse than the pain, so she stopped taking it... uh, I KNOW I'd rather deal with itch than pain, but to each his/her own! Tomorrow, she's being transferred to a rehab facility, now the REAL work begins!

My Christmas piles are STILL piled up, so I think I'm going to tackle some now. Didn't I say I wasn't going to stress about them? Okay, I take it back. I'm starting to stress. Apparently the other inhabitants of this house have no problem with navigating between boxes and piles and have nicely left them for me to deal with! I've been either to class or working late this week, so there it all sits. Eh, it's better if I do it anyway, then I know where things went when it's time to pull it all out again next year! Definitely gonna streamline though!

Well... it's not getting done with me sitting here, so I'll say 'nighty-night' to all! Here's to another fresh start in the A.M.!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #17  
a work in progress...

Hello there, Fresh Starters! Wow, this has been a busy week and it's only half over... I hear ya, ceara, on not blowing it at the end of the day! I am perfect all day long... til I (finally) get home... and then? Gotta work on that! I realize that with many things to do and places to be, I sometimes tend to let myself get too hungry, and when I do get home, it sure is easy to go overboard. Even if I'm eating "good food," I find myself eating TOO MUCH. Could explain why I stayed the same this week at weigh-in. No matter. I did NOT gain... and that is a GOOD THING.

I must say, I am aware of what I'm doing, and even in the midst of overeating, I am still choosing better than I might have in the past. All part of the process, I suppose. I'm not beating myself up over it either. Next week will show a better number, I'm sure.

Welcome, anewlife4me! Always good to see a new face in the Palace! Tell us more about yourself!

Sorry to hear there are sick lassies about... I'm hoping you're all feeling better ASAP!

Thanks for all the well wishes for Mom! She's in a lot of pain, but decided the itch from the Morphine was worse than the pain, so she stopped taking it. Uh, I KNOW I'd rather deal with itch than pain, but to each his/her own, I suppose. Tomorrow, she's being transferred to a rehab facility, so now the REAL work begins!

My Christmas piles are STILL piled up, so I think I'm going to tackle some now. Didn't I say I wasn't going to stress about them? Okay, I take it back. I'm starting to stress. Apparently the other inhabitants of this house have no problem with navigating between boxes and piles and are nicely leaving them for me to deal with! I've been either to class or working late this week, so there it all sits. Eh, it's better if I do it anyway, then I'll know where everything is next year, when it's time to pull it all out again! Definitely must streamline the process though! Come to think of it...it's not getting done with me sitting here, so I'll say 'nighty-night' for now, and pack up just a few items. Enough to make me feel like I did something, anyway!

Here's to another fresh start in the A.M.!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 01-07-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM   #18  

Hello all!
LOVE the new palace!!

We have plenty boxes too.... in fact, I have cards yet to be written and sent....hmmmmmm.....maybe take some to work to do at lunch??? YES!

Anyway, I am running out the door..
.. am riding with DH, that's a long story too.... soundbite: what does satellite radio have to do with a car not running over 2 weeks, in the shop day 6 beginning today???

Thought of the day:

"Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarised in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage and Constancy, and the greatest of all is Confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."
~ Walt Disney

Question of the day:

"How may times have you been to Disneyworld?"

Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #19  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Yes Kat. that is the problem for me....a stellar day and then boom! Down the hatch! I've been staying away from the living room when I feel weak...that is where the chocolate is...and so I'm not. I've mad it through 3 complete days with some of this and am onto my 4th!

Glad to hear Mom is better other than the itch and pain....

My tree is still up...I may get to it in a day or so...it is artifical so I have that luxury!

So, how are the other doing? I hope the sickies are better! Good job wsw on the released....you are so consistant with your programme!

A friend sent me this yesterday..

Let's see if you send it back. We all know or knew someone like this!!

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school. His name was Kyle. It looked like he was carrying all of his books. I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday? He must really be a nerd.' I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him. They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt. His glasses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him... He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes. My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye. As I handed him his glasses, I said, "Those guys are jerks. They really should get lives. "

He looked at me and said, "Hey thanks!" There was a big smile on his face. It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude. I helped him pick up his books, and asked him where he lived. As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before..

He said he had gone to private school before now. I would have never hung out with a private school kid before. We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books. He turned out to be a pretty cool kid. I asked him if he wanted to play a little football with my friends. He said yes. We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again. I stopped him and said, 'Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!" He just laughed and handed me half the books. Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends.. When we were seniors we began to think about college. Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke. I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never be a problem. He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship..

Kyle was valedictorian of our class. I teased him all the time about being a nerd. He had to prepare a speech for graduation. I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak. Graduation day, I saw Kyle. He looked great. He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.
He filled out and actually looked good in glasses. He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved
him. Boy, sometimes I was jealous! Today was one of those days.

I could see that he was nervous about his speech. So, I smacked him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy, you'll be great!' He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.
" Thanks," he said. As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began. "Graduation is a time to
thank those who helped you make it through those tough years. Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends.... I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them. I am going to tell you a story." I just looked at my friend
with disbelief as he told the first day we met.

He had planned to kill himself over the weekend. He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his
Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home. He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile. "Thankfully, I was saved. My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable.." I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment. I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile. Not until that moment did I realize it's depth. Never underestimate the power of your actions..

With one small gesture you can change a person's life. For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way. Look for God in others.

You now have two choices, you can :
1) Pass this on to your friends or
2) Delete it and act like it didn't touch your heart.

'Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.'

There is no beginning or end..

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #20  

So good to finally be in the new Palace. Had some access issues which somehow seem to have (been) resolved.

Confession first - terrible, terrible over the holidays. Started on prednisone right before Christmas and the confluence of that appetite increase and the abundance of goodies overwhelmed me. Good part - I'm running after the wagon and have lost four of the temporary fluffies so feel a lot better. still more to go and they're probably not "temporary" ones.

Love the new Palace too and find all the new Restarts inspiring. I like the "every day" restart too. And add me to the people who'd be slim if they could/would go to bed right after dinner. I'm also thinking of adding Arabella's "eat at table" rule.

Welcome, New Life, and yes, do tell us a little. We are by nature "inquiring".

Glad Mom's ok, kat. Was this a joint replacement (since you said the rehab is just the beginning of the work)? By the way, I love your Emerson quote and have to comment - so true.

Hope our sickies are doing a little better. Lots of that stuff going around. After DSIL left on New Year's, I did a lot of Lysoling and L-wiping. Guess it worked so far. And I did have a marvelous holiday season - lots of back and forths, etc. but over all pleasant. And I got it all packed away yesterday so today is another Fresh Start in that direction too.

so off on another new Fresh Start Friday Sun shining today but snow expected tomorrow. It's been mostly ice so far.

Oops, QOD - several times - once just to Epcot part. Disneyland once. Fun, fun.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #21  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 347/274/180

Height: 5'6"

Wink

Hi again, everyone. A couple of people have asked that I share a bit about myself, so here goes (I've recently realized that I'm not very good at talking about myself)...

I'm in the security/law enforcement field, so being healthy and getting in better shape is really important for me on a professional level, as well as a personal level. My work life is demanding, so it is sometimes an obstacle for me when it comes to making time for me (to exercise, to take time to prep. the healthy meals, etc.), so I'm consciously working on that right now, and trying to create some balance in my world. There's also a history of heart disease and diabetes in my family, so I am trying to become more healthy before I trail down the same path.

I have a hubby and two cats, who are all very important to me. I also spend a lot of time with my family that lives locally. My hobbies are wide ranging-- from quilting to hiking to biking to reading, and many other things. I've done a lot of research on health and nutrition, so I am taking a different approach to my, "journey" this time, with a focus on exercise and being more healthy, rather than, "dieting". I figure if I try to make some life changes for the positive, the weight loss will follow. Although that's important to me, being healthy is my main priority. I also don't want everything I put in my mouth to be a focus for me or others around me, and I realize I'm not going to set myself up for failure by depriving myself of something I REALLY want, as long as I don't go overboard, and as long as I'm still plodding forward.

I really enjoy 3FC because of the support and the ability to talk freely about things. So... thanks to all of you that make this a welcoming site and atmosphere!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #22  
Hot Stuff

Happy New Year s!!!

Count me in as one of the sickos. I'm on day 10 and just starting to feel better. VERY thankful for my codeine-laced cough syrup that is letting me get a few hours sleep inbetween hacking up a lung or three. Bah on germs!

Right, this weight loss thing.

I'm kinda at the point where doing nothing isn't really working. Have already been through WW, Atkins, South Beach, Body for Life...and while they work temporarily, I get tired of counting every morsel of food and minute of activity (or lack thereof). SO while I'm loving who I am right now, I'm focusing on an improved version of me and taking small steps every day to be stronger and healthier.

I don't want to be skinny. I have a man who can't keep his hands off me and prefers a few extra pounds to that cliche size six model. I want to enjoy life and all the chocolate it brings and balance it with resistance training, long walks, yoga/pilates. I'm not looking for overnight results. I have realized that I want to live, not obsess.

So, "new year - new attitude" really applies for me this year. Except it's a different attitude. No all or nothing. No feeling like a failure for not losing x amount of weight in x number of days. This year, I'm going to be happy being me. Just think how much energy we spend beating ourselves up...and how much more productive we could be putting that energy into living better.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #23  
the sword bearer

It is great to hear about you ANewLife4Me! It sounds like you will fit right in here!

Wildfire...that is a nice, positive attitude to have. There are a lot of unhealthy skinny people out there...I wonder where the equation fat = unhealthy came from? I am a lot more fit than those "skinny, healthy" people!

Anagram...pred is both a horror and a miracle. Hope you feel better!

Another good day under the belt yesterday. Itty-bitty steps!

I have been using Sleepy-time tea before bed..I don't know if it helps but I have been sleeping slightly better...at least I'm not awake for hours on end!

Managed the big three yesterday...water food portions and exercise, although the exercise (formal) was only 20 minutes of walking. I did some shopping and a wee bit of shovelling...so far today I've shovelled a path around the pool and up onto the deck...out there in my nighty and housecoat, winter coat over top, white snow boots and an Elmer Fudd hat.....very photogenic!

Off I go....dogs to cycle through and I work at 10...

Another media fabricated big snow event out there...why do they blow it up so? There are barely 2 inches on the ground!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #24  

Here too, ceara, on the inflated "storm" reporting. We've had a little overnight, supposed to get a little more this afternoon but it turns out it will be more icy/slushy, etc. than snow. Of course, if the "front" had chosen to come just a tad further south, well, that would have been a different story. But I rearranged my day yesterday and today to accommodate at least 6 inches.

And I am feeling great, ceara. That's the good part of the p. Just got a bit more sleepless and stressed feeling than usual but had a great Christmas on it. Not nearly so much a drag (though, of course, that was not the reason I started on it).

Ah, yes, Wildfire. Health is the goal. You're already a stunning It's to be better able to long enjoy that new little Princess in your life. I know I could be healthier and I still have that goal. But I also know I've made many changes these last years in the palace that HAVE improved my health o'er what it might otherwise have been. Just need to keep at it.

New Life, sounds like you're on the right track too. AND very active and busy which actually can be a help once you've made some basic tweaks. Family health problems are really a good motivator.

I have given myself TODAY. Don't know what I'm going to do besides the usual necessities. Have started a veggie soup that looks rewarding already. Sorted out the upstairs freezer a bit to see what I should use up soon. But it's basically going to be puttering, sorting, enjoying. Maybe a Meerkat Manor Marathon (DS/DDIL gave me the whole 3 seasons plus a stuffed critter to hold as I watch ).

Dunno - but at any rate TODAY I will have the luxury of choosing and to do or not do as my mood indicates for another twelve hours or so. Lucky ME!!!!!

And that's my theme for the day - LUCKY ME

Last edited by anagram; 01-10-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:40 AM   #25  
the sword bearer

That is too funny! My mother likes to watch the meerkats too!

I had a bit of a meander off the track last night...but that is way of things. New day today and one night of indiscretion did not make or break my resolve!

We did end up with another 4 or so inches and of course being the week-end, not a lot of plowing was going on...the county truck was broken down at the end of our road, which explained why it took me 20 minutes to do an 8 minute drive home after work. That being said, one of the elusive things is noisily blasting down the road as I type!

The moon is also out in full splendor. It is supposed to be one of the biggest full moons of the year...very impressive. No wonder I was having trouble sleeping!

OK, it is quite chilly out there...6 degrees. I'm just not sure how I will plan my day yet! Yesterday's cardio was 50 minutes of shovelling!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:01 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I like the happy tone of this thread. Me, I haven't done too well thus far this year, EXCEPT I haven't eaten any sweets since the new year. A lady in my book group said she wasn't going to drink or eat sugar until Valentines Day. Drinkings not my problem, but those cookies ... well, that's another story. But ... I thought I could definitely get off the sweet train for a month and a half. I can actually go for months without eating anything sweet, but if I fall off the train ... watch out (

I think my biggest problem is portion control. I like to eat and not be hungry. I haven't figured out a diet plan that works for me. I feel good on Atkins, but I'm worried that it's not healthy. But it seems like any kind of carbs, even low-glycemic index carbs, make me crave more and keep me hungry and/or eating constantly.

Advice for my problem would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #27  
Empress/Queen

Hi, all! This is a bit of a me-me postie regarding where I am "diet" wise and I apologize for overpostin' 'n to those who do not know me for seemingly driftin' off into flights o' fancy (I use fantasy a lot to cheer self up and motivate me on my journey).

Hello to all newer members, I appear to be a new member on this thread but have hung around muchly in the past under another name, long story. My nickname is "Am" ... so here's where I am ... Janus is an imaginary (so I SAY) research facility that formed the basis for my January challenge to evaluate where I am health and fitness wise.

I've also been doing a 2009 exercise minute count. I'm up to 1190 already and feel great, lot of walking and some weights and other stuff.

Am says: "Having become tired of January already, all the folks at the Janus January Research Center quit their jobs at that top secret facility followin' the Jan. 11 Ceremony o' the Golden Scale o' Dietary Justice in which, happily, the Maintenance Angel dropped by for a visit in lieu o' the Regain Demon (we had NOT sent him an invitation but sometimes he shows up anyhow).

All were delighted to see Maintenance Angel as the week had been one of high exercise and higher calories, there bein' a lot o' diet 'n fitness experimentation goin' on at Janus, which is a diet 'n fitness research center in an unspecified green 'n meadowy location in the middle o' Diet Amland, East Dietshire, Diet Wise Womanland, Planet Diet Earth.

However, it was pointed out that this was a special day to Diet Maiden Am, a diet Janus employee, who is tired o' the dreary month that is January, tired of employment and wants to go live full-time in her diet rose covered cottage just over the next diet knoll from the Janus facility and make plans for the FESTIVE SEASON O' ST. VALENTINE'S DAY, where in East Dietshire, everyone celebrates backwards and does not eat any candy and they make vows of self-improvement instead of saying in hedonistic glee that they intend to work on reaching their diet 'n fitness goals following Valentine's Day.

So Am and then her Janus coworkers all quit and decided to devote themselves full-time to diet 'n fitness.

Am uses the word "diet" to mean "diet" ... as in "diets do work if you work 'em" and she shuns the modern practice o' sayin' that "diets don't work and callin' 'diets' lifestyle changes when the word 'diet' means a food plan and together with a weight loss or weight maintenance and fitness goal means 'lifestyle' so WHAT is the diet word problem, world?

The GOAL for this St. Valentine's Self Challenge is for Am to lose a teeny amount of weight (again) to (again) reach her goal. The larger goal is to work on her New Year's Resolution of becoming SUPER FIT and to work on her newly sprouted streakity streak exercise minute count for 2009 (no worries that she is overtraining as she is varying the workouts enough so that won't happen and in truth, she modestly must aver that she actually knows a lot about exercise, diet and fitness and how it applies to her body and life 'n hopes it be not offensive to say this, but in the interest o' truth, there it be).

The PLAN is to continue to SEEK a liveable calorie allowance with a target (rarely reached) of approximately the 1500s on average, BUT to make sure each week to vary daily amounts to include high, medium and low days (that was what the experimentation was about) as that really works best for Am.

A SUBGOAL is to feel happier and more springity spring like, tra la, , an to RELAX yet mayhap once in awhile she will have to report self to Diet Wise Woman for corrective action, rememberin' that this may seem like a piece of cake (scratch cake) but losing those few pounds is actually one of the hardest diet challenges she's ever faced in this journey. THOSE POUNDS WANT TO STAY, but she's gonna kick their anatomy outta here!

Another SUBGOAL is that she is scratching the sugar free MANDATE and just generally going to eat sugar once in awhile but try to stay low glycemic.

She is ALSO (lot goin' on here) goin' to re-evaluate her decision to return to vegetarianism, so far no decision has been made.

(Caveat: it should be noted that the nonvirtual Am has NOT actually resigned HER actual nonvirtual employment as she has bills to pay, but that employment does come with some challenges that seem to trigger STRESS EATING so the Stress Eating Demon has been placed on the Most Wanted Demon List and his picture can be found on the wall in your local Dietshire Post Office!)

That's all for now. Janus management sent out a memo to all the staff members who resigned requesting that they not let the door hit 'em on the way out but wishin' 'em well in their DIET goals! An ad appeared in the East Dietshire Diet Daily for new employees but nobody reapplied."
Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #28  

Hi, there CJZEE and

We are indeed a pretty cheery group but certainly do not frown on complaining, kvetching or otherwise venting as we generally feel that the Palace is the "perfect place" to let it all hang out as we do try to practice being non-judgmental in a ly fashion.

Oh, dear motivated and motivational Am, it's so good to have you back in the Palace on a more regular basis.

I'm still working on my January goal setting and here you are working on February already! Inspirational.

I'm puttering around again today. Amazing how much I get done when I just puter as vs. when I set goals and don't meet them

So, hi to all s and am looking forward to a full Palace for Fresh Start Monday.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #29  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Repost warning:

I'm back, OP, doing well. But I'm having network problems that mean I'm spending half my day keeping the network up so I can get anything done. The weekend was totally busy -- wake and funeral for a friend's mother Friday evening and Saturday and then a family party out of town on Sunday. And - OY! - it's going to be a busy week.

Not letting stress get to me though. I'll be back with "the personals" ASAP!

Just have to say:

Welcome, CJZee!

And Anagram, re: puttering - we ARE twin s I can putter things done and enjoy it but if I've got a major goal I'm forcing self to accomplish -- well that brings out the bad kid in me.

Love to all!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #30  
the sword bearer

Mornin' all! Sleeping better these days. I turned off the hubby's side of the electric blanket...it seeps over to me and I am too hot...one of many reasons to wake up!

Rededication again today...must walk before the temps fall!

Nice to see all back in the palace...sorry about the network probs Arabella....and the funeral. I've been to the funeral home a lot lately too...'tis the season I guess.

Have a great day all!

Closed Thread