Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #46  

Alright, I'm in on this one. My personal challenge is to get at least 30 minutes of exercise everyday, for all 21 days, with two pause days (just due to craziness of schedule and time constraints).

Wish me luck! I'll start tomorrow.
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #47  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Red face

Shy -- Thank you SO much for your very sweet post. I am at work now so can't write but just wanted to say thanks. I got all teary and am having to fight them back. You're just so understanding and sweet.

Viatre -- Welcome to our humble thread! Best of luck!!!!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/155

Morning Everyone,

red - ohh I can't wait to get to that point! Thanks for the support.

Thank you too Shy!

Well, I didn't gym it yesterday, I knew I would take one day off a week, so I'm not dissapointed. I did, however, go to the antique mall with my mom and we walked for like 2 hours! I'm still taking a pause, but I'm glad I got some sort of movement in.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Personal Challenges: As of Monday
6 Days Complete-Stay within my daily WW Points - 1 Pause
5 Days Complete-Stop Smoking - 0 Pauses
6 Days Complete-Gym 7 Days a week - 2 Pauses
beachluvr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #49  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Red face Fly-by hi and recommit

I don't know what it is -- the stars? -- but I often find there's a sort-of general mood that hits a lot of people at the same time. A lot of people seem to be struggling. I'm starting to feel better but had a bit of a blow-out (diet-wise) last night. I don't think I'm up to SB at this point so I'm going back to CORE (so I can have the occasional treat and just count the points.)

I'm going for no pauses. And I guess this is going to have to start tomorrow, because today I had baclava for breakfast

Recommitting to:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

for all the struggling challengers! Good for us for coming in here anyway. We'll make it!

Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #50  
Never give up

Angry Help!!!!

Well, people. I'm really tired of coming in here with such depressing tones all the time, but work continues to make me so angry. It's not just me. The place is toxic, absolutely horrible to be in. BUT, I don't have an alternative. And people around me, because I speak Japanese think I can just go out and find another job. Jeez. I wish. In any case, it's a horrible feeling, to be in a place that is pathetic and yet not know how to get out. It makes me feel like such an incredible loser, really, that is where most of the anger comes from, from the fact that I can't find a way to better my situation, that I am seemingly at the mercy of a bunch of losers.
And to top that, I am doing so well on my challenges and yet see absolutely no encouraging signs there. My skin is just as bad. My weight stays high. It's like I am stuck in quicksand and going under, slowly but surely. What goes!?!?!?!

Took a pause on the juice yesterday. I had time to make it, but didn't, which is not a good thing to do (or not do), but I was just sick of it.

Where I stand on Wednesday (not including Wednesday)

NEW CHALLENGES:

No sugar 10 days completed/undecided on pauses
Vegetable juice 9 days completed/2 of 3 pauses left
Food and exercise journal 9 days complete/no pauses

CHALLENGES:

No booze 14 days completed/no pauses allowed (started Aug. 20)
No smoking 14 days completed/no pauses allowed (started Aug. 20)

No alcohol current straight 15 days/longest straight thus far June 28-August 3 = 36 days
No sugar current straight 10 days/longest straight was 39 days (July 1-Aug. 9)
No cigs current straight 13 days/longest straight was 38 days straight July 1-Aug. 8
No processed foods current straight 10 days/longest straight 40 days (July 1-Aug.10)

Well, sorry about my situation. I am usually an optimistic person but I can't find it anywhere these days. My optimism has fled. I am angry all the time, except when I'm with my horse and far from the work and the people there. Please, please, please, I need to find an alternative (a dazzling one!! )

Well, hi to all. Just ignore me. Good luck to everyone else!

Last edited by redballoon; 09-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #51  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Red
I am not sure if this will help but here it goes. I have been looking for work for 3 years, since my last job. I keep hearing I am over qualified and will leave as soon as I get a better job so I don't get hired. I keep hearing if I finish my degree ( I only have a two year degree ) they would hire me in a heart beat because of my experience come back when I finish my degree ( how can you do that without a job ). I am 45 and no one wants me. I did what I thought was right and stayed home and raised my children. My choice I understand but house wifes get no respect out in the work force no matter how much experience they have at organization and finance and so forth.

At least you have a job. I feel worthless and stupid most of the time. I know I am very very good at what I do if I could just get someone to give me a chance and give me a job. My old job loved me. To bad they had to cut back workers after I was there for a year and a half I was one of the people that was gotten rid of. AND I was only a temp ( yes I was there over a year and still a temp ( no respect at all since I made HALF what the other people made doing the same job I did ) and they don't give references to any temps.

When we think we have things very bad we have to remember there are people who have it worse. We have things cut to the bone because prices are so high. Things are tight and that causes stress. My son was suppose to go to college this year but he doesn't qualify for stanford loans and I sure can't afford to sigh for plus loans. He doesn't get to go to college, what kind of future is he going to have. This lays on my heart like a ton of bricks. BUT there are people living in card board boxes. I have to remember to be thank full for what I have sometimes.

I had to be by the docs office today so I did my weigh in today instead of tomorrow. Well, I knew the amount put back on was going to be bad and it was lol. 18 pounds. I only say 18 because while I was down lower than that I was maintaining at about 144. That's ok, I am off the meads for the time being and I can get this weight off. If I could do it once I can sure do it again. The good Lord is right there beside me.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-02-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #52  
Never give up

Yeah, Shy, you're right, and I do think of others with less. But, I also think of others with more, like you said, doing the same work and making more money and my situation was like yours for years and years. It's only been the past two where I was a little bit better taken care of, but still, the injustices are there. This is why I want to find a way out of the place I'm in. I guess you could say that I am blessed to be able to understand the WAY THINGS ARE. Many people go through their entire lives not seeing how they are being used and on top of that feeling grateful for their exploiters. In any case, this all has so little to do with my challenges. If I could see a bright spot there it would help. But I don't. My weight stays incredibly high. I really, really don't understand it because I am logging my food and it's not high and I am NOT drinking nor eating any sugar, which always sends my calories over the moon and bloats me. So, what goes?
But, I am going to keep doing it. This must be yet another test, to make me even stronger and able to get past more and more. But for what, for what, for what????? This has been my question for years. What good does all the "strength" do me? If I could use it to help others, then good, but I don't see anything helping others. If I could use it to help myself, then good, but you see where things stand...
Oh, sigh, sigh, sigh, I will, I will, I will push on. I must. It's all I have. Giving up is NOT an option.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #53  
Rennie

Red
Do you know how many calories, fat and carbs you take in a day? Are you eating the required amounts of the four basic food groups? I do know if I am not eating enough ( it is amazing how much you need to get to get those requirements in. I don't lose weight or I might even gain weight if I am not eating enough.

It is terrible to not be appreciated. It seems most jobs are that way these days. Those that do the most work and this is sure the case for manual labor. Don't get paid what they should. Those that don't do physical labor and have easy jobs get paid far more. Doesn't make sense does it. Think about it, there are office workers that make three times what your local police person does. There are ditch diggers ( I can't think of a harder job ) that get paid far less than what an accounts payable clerk makes in many cases. Not to say everyone shouldn't be paid what they are worth but that just isn't how it is. Doesn't seem like anyone gets any respect anymore.

I am not sure what it is you do but I can sure tell the stress level is very very high. I do remember many moons ago having to work to keep a roof over my children head. I worked my bum off and was paid min wage and was treated like the lowest dog at the kennel. It does get to you. You start to feel horrible about yourself. The brain goes dead if you happen to be in a job that is more manual than mental.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey All! Well, I'm back and didn't do too badly at all. I worked out at gym pretty much every day, HARD! for a good hour, and ate very healthily and not too much for dinner--yaay! A modicum of alcohol, but I did use up all my pauses--oh well, thats what they are there for! Sometimes, just had a lemonade or a virgin Bloody.

Although I ate a bit more than normal, just up 1.5 pounds this morning. SO--back on track for this week!

No alcohol--9 days, no pauses left.
No processed junk food--9 days, no pauses
Exercise/walk every day minimum 30 minutes--9 days, 2 pauses left.

Miriam--so sorry to hear about your health problems--do the docs have any idea how long you've had undiagnosed diabetes? Hopefully a recent thing. My aunt--who hated to go to the doctor, in fact hadn't gone in over 20 years, had to go for something, and had them diagnose diabetes she must have had for many years, due to damage/changes that were evident, in eye as well as heart. Its a wonder she had no episodes with it. I guess it's better to find out sooner rather than later.......

Jolly--Good luck in school and way to go for the 190's! Yeah I know that feeling of liking to shop again when you finally drop a few sizes and can fit into some stylish clothes! Just ask my hub about my Macy's blowout I had a couple of weeks ago (lol).

Shy--it's tough out there for any job seekers--my b-i-l was in the tech industry (software engineer) and due to the crash in the computer industry, lost his job and was basically out of work for 4 YEARS! Just recently a few months ago found a permanent full-time employee job again. For 4 years, just short-term projects occasionally as a independent contractor--6 weeks here, 3 months there, with long unemployed breaks in between. Hopefully you will find something to fit you soon and it will be so sweet!

It is so bad they have had to cut out a lot of student funding--I would never have gotten where I am today without the availability of student loans. Maybe a different college--a community college where he can commute and take a few hours and work part-time to pay for it? Just to get started?

beach--way to go getting back on the horse, so to speak (red will appreciate that one). Smoking (quitting) is tough--good luck!

Arabella--wow! No pauses at all! Maybe you should build in one--b/c life makes it so difficult to be perfect. Still, a good high bar you have set. Don't feel bad if you miss a day, though.....

Good Luck Viatre!

Red-- how can I help you feel better? I have been in crappy situations and felt like no way out. And eventually one presented itself. If it is intolerable, think outside the box. Possibly a move? I think you've been there for like 20 years? But just b/c you speak Japanese, doesn't mean you have to work in Japan. Even if you have to move your horse. A family just moved here (California) from Australia and I don't think they were rich, but they did move their horse--I don't know how! Maybe time to dust off that resume--look in international publications, talk to head hunters? There's got to be plenty of companies that may desperately need a Jap/Eng bi-lingual professional. A change in locale could be what you need. Or a vacation? (lol).

Know this--even if you choose to stay, nothing stays the same forever. Somehow, the situation will change and maybe with a few more personnel turnovers, or management turnovers, your problems will be less....
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #55  

Smile Hump Day!!

Hey Ladies,

Red - How can you say you don't help others?! From the short time I've been on here you have always been sooo supportive of everyone! I so look forward to your posts of encouragement and advice. I know that you are probably talking more about your professional life, but don't think for a second you aren't helping others.

modcat - Good work on all your achievements!!

Keep up all your hard work everyone!!

Personal Challenges: As of Tuesday
7 Days Complete-Stay within my daily WW Points - 1 Pause
6 Days Complete-Stop Smoking - 0 Pauses
7 Days Complete-Gym 7 Days a week - 2 Pauses
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #56  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I've been here before and then went away and now I want to quickly post a big to Jolly. You go, girlfriend! You've lost a tremendous amount of weight and you must be SO pleased and proud. Plus, running a 1/2 marathon! That's amazing! You rock! I just recently discovered the joy of shopping in the misses section, rather than the plus sizes. On the good side though, my blood sugar is back to normal....doc says I'm not borderline diabetic anymore. Of course, I aggravated my back injury and am limited on the amount I can exercise until next week.

Anyway, Jolly, I am so happy for you and all the success you've achieved thus far!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #57  
Never give up

Unhappy keep on, keep going...

Shy, mod, beach, thank you so much for your words of support. Another night of but a bit of sleep and I am up now at 4:30 and must get out. If I could get some good nights of sleep I would be so much better, but alas....
I had a good talk with my ex-boss last night about the situation at work and I'm hoping my advances in a spirit of goodwill and cooperation can help work me out of this mire. But, I am really too tired to do it. If only the itching would stop so I could get some relief....
Well, thanks again. I will try to write more later.
As for the challenges, I was out talking in the bar last night and I almost gave in to a pint. I thought, why not, I have no idea what is causing my skin to be so bad and nothing I do seems to help, so why not have a pint? In fact, I don't think it would have mattered a bit if I had, but I didn't and I didn't smoke either, both of which were very tempting as I was out with someone with whom I have always absolutely loved to drink. Sigh. I really just want to be able to relax and feel good about myself. I am at least not gaining weight but I am too exhausted to go to the gym so am turning to fat and NO muscle tone. Oh well, it's still something and I have to think that the challenges were for my mother and not for weight loss or skin improvement. Discipline. That's all I can say it's for. That if I say I'm going to do something, I will and this is certainly not a bad thing to do, even if it's not a great thing. Break my old streak of 36 days off booze. I can do that. Can't I?

Where I stand on Thursday (not including Thursday)

NEW CHALLENGES:

No sugar 11 days completed/undecided on pauses
Vegetable juice 10 days completed/2 of 3 pauses left
Food and exercise journal 10 days complete/no pauses

CHALLENGES:

No booze 15 days completed/no pauses allowed (started Aug. 20)
No smoking 15 days completed/no pauses allowed (started Aug. 20)

No alcohol current straight 16 days/longest straight thus far June 28-August 3 = 36 days
No sugar current straight 11 days/longest straight was 39 days (July 1-Aug. 9)
No cigs current straight 13 days/longest straight was 38 days straight July 1-Aug. 8
No processed foods current straight 11 days/longest straight 40 days (July 1-Aug.10)

Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #58  
Rennie

Mod
Usually I am pretty cool with still trying to find work. It has just gotten to me a bit lately. Had another of those you will leave when you find another good job interviews lol. We never needed me to work, well we don't NEED me to work now but if I went to work we could live the way we use to instead of having to cut everything out and my son could go to college because my pay could help him a bit. It is mostly I could help him go to college that really makes me want to work even part steady time would help.

di
hello hello again lol. You take care of that back. We know what back injury's can do and being laid up isn't something you want. Good going on not being borderline anymore. Oh isn't it great to get out of the large ladies section and be able to have more choices of what we wear. I found this great store Katherins that sells larger Ladies clothes. They aren't real real expensive but not cheap either. I was looking forward to getting an outfit. I now where 12's and medium shirts lol I didn't even get to shop there. They don't sell anything under an 18. I am pretty happy with myself even thou the meads put on a bunch of weight. I am wearing REAL 12's not todays size 12's lol. This pair of pants I have on have to be 8 years old lol.

Red
You are doing terrific. What does the dermatologist say is going on with her skin?

I have a question hope one of you can help me. I had to go back to the doc for this knee again today. Darn thing is really bothering me and swelling again. I refuse to take the meads again. Didn't help for nothing and all the darn weight makes the knee worse. I was told no walking/aerobic videos for a month but I could join curves if I wanted because the machines are low impact on the knee except for the squat machine. I checked out a couple here in the area and one seems ok. 99 dollars to sign up and 34 a month. In laws said they would pay for it for my christmas and birthday for this year and next lol. Is it worth the money does anyone know. Seems it is a 30 min workout you can do 6 days a week. Circuit training on the machines twice thru the routine and then you do the stretch machine. The machines also have a computer attached so it tells you if you are using the machines right and keep track of your pulse which is good because i am always dead I guess since I can't find my pulse lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-03-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 AM   #59  

Morning All,

Shy, I did curves years ago. I think it was well worth it. Unfortunately I didn't stick with it. They didn't have the computers when I was there. The people were very friendly, loved that it was just females. The machines were easy to use. The only disadvantage I saw at all was you can't listen to your ipod. You have to listen to their music so you'll know when to "switch". My local curves usually runs a special every month or so, bring in a couple of canned goods and they waive the initial fee. Sounds like a great gift to me!

Well, I wasn't all that good yesterday. A co-worker brought in a banana split cake in celebration of my graduation. She went to a lot of work not to mention the money she spent on it. There's no way I could have turned it down. But i didnt' gorge. I also skipped the gym. A friend of mine came by and we booked a cruise together in March!! By the time she left the gym was closed. SO, I have to workout Sunday in order to stay on track. Which isn't the end of the world. I just HATE going on sundays. The gym doesn't open until 1:30 - dang those freakin blue laws!!!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Personal Challenges: As of Wednesday
8 Days Complete-Stay within my daily WW Points - 1 Pause
7 Days Complete-Stop Smoking - 0 Pauses
6 Days Complete-Gym 7 Days a week - 1 Pause

Last edited by beachluvr79; 09-04-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #60  
Rennie

beach
You should be proud of yourself that you didn't just eat and eat. Nothing wrong with having something special from time to time. Think I am going to hold off on curves until they have a special running. That is a lot of money and there are so many things that kind of money can be spent on even if I don't have to pay for it lol.