Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #121  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Arabella, How can any human actually eat enough food to be up 40 pounds in one single week! YIKES! I would love to believe most of that was water weight, but she was still up 15 after a week OP? OMG is right! Definitely ...food... for thought there the next time I'm feeling a major binge coming on.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM   #122  
wsw

so much to respond to. will have to do that later, though, when feeling a little better. for now, just wanted to say hello, dear royals. have missed you. our brutal heat wave got to me a bit more than i would have liked. it has broken though--"cooled down" to 91. stress too putting me on overload, and hadn't been sleeping well the past few days, so also pretty tired. just one regal mess, but hanging in there by a dainty fingernail. take care, all.

Last edited by wsw; 06-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #123  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Saturday in the Palace

213.8. Nevertheless, clothes are looser and DS said "You've lost weight!" when he was here yesterday. So the scale will have to bow to popular opinion before long. Five weeks to my 53rd birthday, at which time I'll be in Colorado with DH's extended clan. I am going to start pushing, adding some new stuff into the mix. I CAN do this, I WILL do this.

Back from a good woggle through the woods, done some

Reading lately about how much just being more active in the run of a day contributes to losing or maintaining weight. There was a study that found a difference of about 350 calories a day just from puttering, etc. That's a pound in 10 days. Hmmm... I'm going to make a point of getting up from the computer and running around more often. Or, you know, I could always do something constructive.

"Confessions of a Carb Queen" was really shocking and thought-provoking. She was on a no-sodium diet, mostly (it sounds like) pasta, fruit and vegetables. Fish once a week. (I would feel like crap on that -- I need my protein!) The food she ate when she was bingeing was the kind that packs on the weight quickly: burgers and fries, pizza, etc.

What I found most striking was the strength of her denial. She thought of herself as "just a little chubby" even when she got up to 468 pounds. She said she certainly never thought of herself as obese. I mean, on another level, she knew she was wearing a size 32 or whatever. She knew that she could barely walk to her car, had broken her box spring, couldn't sit on chairs or fit in booths at restaurants, etc. But she managed to not really acknowledge what that meant.

Oh, she's got a blog! Here she is.

I think most of us who have been seriously overweight could relate. I've been so shocked when I see a photo of myself sometimes. I keep looking at it trying to figure out what weird thing happened with the camera angle or whatever to make me look so big.

The worst thing I've ever done to sabotage myself was to stop weighing myself for extended periods of time. And I've done that a number of times. Never again -- it always ends the same way: with me finally braving the scale and weighing A LOT more than I did the last time I weighed in. I'm sure that's how I ended up over 200. I'm sure that's how I ended up over 250 at one point.

I've actually got some work that has to get done. Intended to do personals but ... I'm all about ME. Hope all goes well with all lies.

Let's make this a good one!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #124  

This is a little more work to find the palace, but I'm sure I'll adapt to the new path soon. We should probably keep it strewn with rose petals or something appropriate so the other s find us.

My princesses are back! They both had a lovely time, but the youngest came back with a severe sunburn on her shoulders, and she also had a nasty mishap with ants. The sunburn is horrible. I've never seen blisters this large; DH actually drained one off with a syringe. And the poor baby has one arm covered nearly to the elbow with ant bites. Turns out one of her fellow campers hid an open bag of Doritos under the bed, and when my girly reached down beneath to grab a pencil that had dropped, she stirred up the critters. They were not happy, and they proved it by biting her repeatedly. We set her up with a special cream and Benadryl and let her sleep off most of the day. Poor baby.

My current sourdough obsession led into homemade pizzas last night. They turned out really well. The best thing about making your own is that you can sneak in all sorts of extra veggies, plus, you can use ingredients like turkey pepperoni--70% less fat, and they taste really decent. The other nice thing is that none of us could make it through more than two slices. Yet another example of filling up with quality food that you feel good about eating. I wouldn't begin to profess our pizzas were health food, but they worked well into the day, and no one was sneaking back into the kitchen later on because they were still hungry. It all falls back to balance, don't you think?

Arabella, sounds like you have the perfect attitude to shift through this, plus you know you have the tape measure backing you up, no matter what the scale says.
I've been thinking a lot about how inactive I actually am when I'm not out working. My steps have been abysmally low; most days I'm lucky to hit anything over 5,000. I had to face it the last couple of days and realize that I'm seriously not leading an active lifestyle, and the numbers (scale, pedometer, etc.) are showing it. Yesterday I made a point of doing extra things, and I boosted my steps by a couple thousand. I hadn't thought of how those little things could add up to so much, though. You are right--the cumulative effect of 350 calories a day is the right number to lose a pound in ten days. Thank you for bringing that up!

wsw, I am so sorry to hear the heat and stress have been keeping you down. Also, no need to ruin a perfect, royal manicure. We'll keep holding on to you no matter what, even if all we can catch is the hem of your gown.

Off to make breaky for the girls and get out to my Sunday morning walk. The weather looks perfect for it!

Andria

Last edited by qsilver; 06-15-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #125  

Not to sound silly, but I wanted to pull this up so other royals could find us more easily.
*HUGS*

Andria
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #126  

Smile Mmmmm... a path of rose petals sounds nice!

214. Too much salt on Saturday but was perfect yesterday. It will go.

Andria, the rose petals sound just lovely. I'm enjoying that path to the Palace and have sworn off breadcrumbs forever (too high-GI, anyway). I hope other lies haven't gotten lost along the way. Mayhap I'll PM same if no one shows up soon.

Well -- stop me if you've heard this before (but not really) -- today is reenergize the plan day. I'm putting a big push on to feel and look as fabulous as possible for the trip to Colorado in a month's time. Adding things in like doing something (stairs or for example) full-out once a day. Briefly. And getting up and bustling around at least once an hour. Chore a day, clear 3 square feet of flower bed a day. Along with primping, having fun, etc. Oh yeah... usual diet and 10k, mind-body, etc. Yup, lots of etc. but I'll feel incredible if I do this and will look pretty good too, I think

I feel suddenly more energetic and able today so now's the time. Planning on staying energized, too I felt able to hit the stairs on the way home from the gym this morning for the first time in months. And managed 10 flights, one shy of the record

Andria, I've been thinking about pizza for weeks! And DH mentioned it on the weekend so we may actually do it before long. I've seen a recipe for gluten-free dough that gets good reviews. And you can make it pretty healthy o/w, too. Although for me, I've got to say cheese (and not fat-free!) and lots of it is non-negotiable. Guess that's why we mostly don't eat it!

It's amazing how much those extra steps add up, isn't it. I had 2k left to get on Saturday and went to library, a couple of stores. Parked some distance away from everything and the 2k steps were done!

K, I'd best get some work done here. Let's make this a goodly one, lies!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #127  

Well, another fresh week and Fresh start with the Equinox only a few days away. I'll have to record another big disappointment in my results but won't give up the determination.

wsw, a good night's sleep will go a long way. The heat/humidity can certainly get to you - I'm looking forward to our cooler weather this week as a time to be more active and "catch up" (my buzz word always).

Arabella - published, huzzah!!! No, it's not the money but that's nice too. I know you've been published before but another is always great and a step in your direction. qsilver - you're right - the theme seems even right for a darling movie.

And the Carb Queen numbers make even me seem like a piker. But the denial I recognize. I too was 251 at one point and didn't "feel" it. Didn't feel ugly or unworthy or any of those things. Yet now when I look at those pics, I see a person I didn't see then. Same with current weight - when I first reached it seven years ago, I felt SLIM and pics looked better. Now, I look at those "slimmer' pics though and see a still-very-chubby person. Maybe my eyesight is getting better.............

Oh, those waffles and pizzas sound good. I can almost smell them. I think you're on track about quality food. Mine has been much less so than it had been. I've been eating for calories and then I binge. Last night I went to a dinner honoring a friend and the food was great, good calorically (though not diet) and I felt more satisfied than in a long time. It wasn't overly salted either as so much "out" food is.

I'm learning on the 'little" movements too. Sometimes it's just a set of leg lifts at the sofa as I pass behind it or want to catch something momentarily on TV. Sometimes it's just an extra butt wiggle or two to get the circulation moving. Not enough certainly but better than totally couch potato-ing. A weed or two here or there helps too. I have been doing a tiny bit of yard work here and there and it IS adding up. Had to fire my kid - a really nice boy but leaving too much of the job behind. So have a more "pro" fellow who does it for a living and the first time has left the yard looking much better. Strangely, only a few more shekels.

Busy week coming up with household maintenance stuff - also "catchup" but I'll feel so good when some/all of it's done.

Oh, the dinner last night actually was honoring a 40+ year professional and personal friend of DH. Very touching -but for me the most touching was that he mentioned DH by name as a professional touchpoint in his career. He was able (timewise) to mention only a few so I was thrilled DH was one. One of those things it was tough to go to alone but I'm so glad I did. Sometimes this being tough and doing the ly thing has its non-weight rewards.

Anyway - off to Monday. Cloudy and "maybe" will get some rain. that's what they've been saying for days-- "maybe" -- and I'm getting tired of watering so hope today's the day...At least there's supposed to be a cooler front coming in.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #128  

Almost simulposting, Arabella! Your reenergizing para says what's in my mind. Except it's for my trip to Quebec - now only 3 weeks away. Been trying to build a bit of stamina too for the whole thing. I'm not doing well weight wise but do feel I have a teeny bit more stamina - when it's not too hot to move.

You'll be gorgeous for CO!

Last edited by anagram; 06-16-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #129  

I so want to stumble off the path this morning. I just knew that if I came here first that there would be something posted that would make me want to stay true. I'm frustrated because my weight is up a couple instead of down, and I've been working so hard. And as I'm typing that, I realize yet again that I'm looking for the scale to give me the wrong information. My bad.
I am feeling stronger, even after only four trips to the gym. My Sunday morning walk was also my fastest and farthest distance since moving here. I'm making good food at home so we aren't eating out, we are saving calories, and we are saving money. These are all the right choices. If my weight doesn't reflect these changes as immediately as I had hoped, I just need to remind myself that I am doing the right things. I also need to reevaluate and make sure there aren't other things I've let slip by the roadside. I know for a fact that I haven't been eating enough veggie matter the last couple of days. That is an easy change. I'm going to go back to the first of this thread and see what I posted as my goals for summer solstice; maybe there will be other things I need reminding of, and maybe there will be other little successes I can see.
For now, I feel a little more straight in the head, and I know I'd better get to the gym or is isn't going to happen today. Too bad I don't have a royal carriage to take me off in proper style. Guess that would look a bit silly in sweat pants anyway, huh. Of course, it would also give me time to practice my regal wave. Haven't had much chance to work on it of late.

Andria
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #130  
wsw

hi lovely queens! my stomach is definitely not a happy camper the past couple of days. eating gently and daintily. now, when my appetite returns, not too sure how that will go, but for now, at least, easy to stay op. still not sleeping well, trying to keep remembering to take some deep breaths when dealing with current stressors.

arabella-so neat about your article being published! also, as anagram said, you wll of course look fabulous for your trip to colorado next month. your re-energizing plan makes me fee more re-energized too. when i'm feeling better and can add more foods back to my menu, think i wil go grocery shopping for some pretty veggies and fruits, and put my food plan in to a little higher gear aimed at knocking of these pesky pounds that seem to want to hang on.

andria-when you mentioned coming here to get royal tiara on straight, it certainly resonated with me. it hleps me so much to be able to check in here and absorb some of the wisdom and warmth within our lovely palace walls.

anagram-glad that the event went well, and was not too difficult emotionally, at least, and that the honoree mentioned your dh. you did indeed display queenly strength and nobility, which always inspires me.

hello to ceara, kat, and kaylets, and all who dwelleth in our beloved kingdom. getting a bit tired, so may toddle off to beddie-bye now. take care, all.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #131  
wsw

hi all. i swear, i feel like i keep losing the whereabouts of our thread. pitiful, huh? well, anyway, hope you lovely ladies are having a good afternoon. still hanging on by one royal dainty fingernail. had to do a lot of paperwork today, which i always hate doing, but feel rather virtuous now that it is almost completed. have plans for tomorrow dinner and thursday lunch, so hoping my tummy will be ready to venture out by then. greetings to all venerable royalty.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 AM   #132  

wsw, It isn't just you. I still feel awkward on this new path. Remember to look for the rose petals.

I have another job fair today. So far I haven't done so well at these things, and I'm not feeling too hopeful for today. Blah. We do what we have to, right? I had no idea that finding a teaching job would take so long. There are supposed to be teacher shortages here, but I keep seeing the same faces at all these fairs. Kind of sad when you begin to recognize people at them.
Ah well. Time to get ready.

Andria
Old 06-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #133  
wsw

good to know i am not alone, andria! will definitely keep a look out for the rose petals. hope your job fair goes well today.

scale certainly is not cooperating, but continuing to remain steady on course, so hope springs eternal.

definitely got in some efficient organizing and completing of paperwork this week, so feel good about that. also continuing to check out situations for more physical assistance for present living situation, possible different and more user-friendly living situation, etc. so far, no big answers, but am on right path, and just knowing i am doing what i can to help myself in this otherwise rather yucky situation feels good. well, i have done my morning "homework" towards that end today. now, off to do some errands, clean up royal dwelling, and then have an early dinner with a very good friend, who will be moving away soon. (i will really miss her, but she and her husband are excited about their upcoming changes, and so i am happy for her.) well, royals, hope today is a good one for all who dwell here. take care, all.

Last edited by wsw; 06-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #134  

What a great feeling to get that paper work done (at least for now). I'm STILL admiring my bare dining room table though there are a few files tucked here and there to be worked on.

Full schedule here today. Sigh. But things getting done. It seems like all the things I've been working on are converging within a week or two. Not complaining but hustling, for sure. Have been "patting" (as vs. "hitting") the Fitness Center. Believe it or not, feeling a little good coming of it.

Difficulty sleeping in last three mornings - up way too early - and, once again, it's full moon. I'm beginning to believe there really is a connection.

Must be off - my itinerary for the day is written on a little note to take with me so I don't miss any important stops. It will slow down this afternoon once the carpet cleaner gets here. I'll have a good reason to spend a lot of time w/computer

Hope the job fair was THE ONE, andria.

Off I hustle.....................

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #135  

Question Anyone got some heat and sunshine to spare?

Cold and dark in this corner of the palace -- 13 degrees (about 55 F). Which is, sadly, pretty much the way spring has been here. I don't remember when we've had so little sun for such a long time.

I've been doing well with my new campaign but had a good helping of hummus yesterday afternoon which always sends the scale upwards. I'm going to cook a hard-boiled egg to eat this afternoon if I need something. Filling, low-cal, high-protein.

Did my woggle, some

WSW, deep breathing is my favorite new thing! I'd completely forgotten how calming it is just to take in a few deep, slow breaths. I noticed when I quit smoking years ago how it helped. And still does! I'm just reminding myself to stop and breathe a few times through the day and any time I feel stressed.

I know what you mean about dealing with things. Feels so much better than the ostrich position, no matter what has to be dealt with. And life is so full of surprises, whatever change has to be made could have great upsides.

Anagram, there we are again: I've been doing "paperwork" (on the computer), getting caught up with my taxes. Which always makes me want to shoot myself. Always seems like I owe more than I thought. Doesn't please DH, either. I'll have to start making larger installments.

Ah, I see. Full moon -- I've been getting the other end of it this time, though, trouble getting to sleep.

Hmmmm... that's three of us with paperwork and trouble sleeping.

Andria, hope the job fair was better than anticipated!

K, I'd better get back to work. Have a good one, lies!

Closed Thread