Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #106  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

The nap yesterday did do wonders Not being able to post here when I returned did not. Ah well. Right now I'm trying to get my backside out the door for a walk. I keep finding little things to do instead, but my shoes are on my feet, and I'm here telling you all that I'm going to do it, soooooo... yeah. I'd better get out the door! I'll return with tales of glory.

Andria
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #107  
a work in progress...

Thank you for the snowmen, anagram, though they'd barely last a minute 'round here as you well know! Good grief, it's hot!

I never did get out to garden yesterday, kept finding reasons to stay inside! Plus, I spent a good portion of the day chauffering people around ... son had daughter's car at school to take SAT... daughter needed a ride to work... (she doesn't drive a stick, so can't take mine) as we were leaving, frantic call came from son asking if I could go through his email and find the 'thing' from SAT board. What thing? The THING that shows I registered! Frantic scrambling ensued, found the 'thing' and got it to school, with minutes to spare. Took daughter to work. Son come home a few hours later, heads out again to help fellow scout with eagle project. Calls me because he's not sure how to get there. (After driving around, wasting the precious $4.00/gal fluid!) I try to explain, but he still can't find it, so he comes home, and I drive him over, only to find that they were pretty much done by then! Daughter takes car to her other job, so son now needs a ride to catch up with friends who are camping out for the weekend. Mother's cab service springs into action once again and I bring him to the campsite, where he was asked if he could just go pick up some ice. DO WE NOT HAVE CELL PHONES WITH WHICH TO CALL AHEAD AND ASK??? So, off we went again. And came back. Now, before we left, I had asked dh to hook up bike rack to car, so I could take myself for a loverly ride, in another part of the park, of course, after ridding myself of the boy. He very obligingly did so, but after driving here, there and back again, I was too aggravated, and it was too hot, and I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to get the bike back on once I took it off. So I came home. And proceeded to nibble... and nibble some more... and then a little more...never really having a "real" meal, so I just continued to pick and nibble...

...which is probably the reason why I was UP 3 POUNDS this morning!

I entertained the thought of not going to WW, knowing that it wasn't going to be pretty, but realized that is exactly the reason why I need to go! So I did, and I'm glad, and I went to the farmer's market after and loaded up on all kinds of good things. I finally bought some quinoa, which I've been dying to try, I have a salad recipe to use it in that I will share, if the results are yummy! Anyone else use this? Any hints?

wsw... great idea, and good for you, planning ahead!anagram... 'do only what you want' sounds like a GREAT plan!arabella...dinner with your travelling friends sounds like fun, though I'd be mighty jealous!
andria... mmm, a nap! One of my favorite way to deal with things I'd rather not deal with at the moment!

Come to think of it, I did just that last night! After my nibble fest, I felt so rotten and guilty and consumed with shame and self hate, I just laid down on my bed to wallow in self pity. Dozed off for maybe an hour, and when I woke up, I was all clear headed and thought, "Right. Back to work." And proceeded to finish vacuuming (abandoned hours earlier), washed, dried & folded three loads of laundry, and mopped the kitchen and bathroom floors. Showered and went to bed feeling MUCH better than before I took that nap! Upon further thought, I realized that I could also be PMSing... which, by the way, seems to get worse each time it comes... which is semi-sporadically at this point. Hey, why NOT blame the hormones?

Okay, I need to go chop some veggies, slice some fruit, and make a few things to prepare for the week ahead.

Two weeks to solstice! Here's hoping that the summer palace is being swept out as we speak, linens are being aired, petals strewn, lemonade squeezed, and the chamber maids are preparing the ostrich feather fans, with which they shall cool our fevered brows...

Happy Sunday, s!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 06-08-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #108  
a work in progress...

Simul-posting with Andria! Hope that walk was a good one!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #109  

Well, Royal Ones - I did it. I went to Momentum Female Fitness Center today and signed up. I go tomorrow for my orientation with my Coach. This bonanza is now included in my health insurance (I must pay for the coach). As long as I show up once a month they will be paid. I think I can manage that and more. It's only about a mile from the house, has been voted "Best" in the area several years in a row, etc. I'm going to give it my darnedest. It was that or Curves or the Y and this was closest (and is all female).

So it is truly a "Fresh Start". Food is on and off good. Not as good as sometimes but certainly not as bad as sometimes I was down "almost" to my recent low and then yesterday was back up to "almost" my recent high again. Four pounds overnight and it takes days to get rid of them.

However, if I don't keep trying, I KNOW what will happen.

Stinky hot here again and I had to push me to go up to the Center. I'm already feeling better for just going..

Fresh Start Monday.................................

Old 06-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #110  
a work in progress...

Good for you, anagram! You've almost inspired me to get my sorry keister back to the gym. But it's too hot. The end.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #111  

Boy, i agree it's too hot. I think they're going to start me out slow today. I HOPE.

So I'm wearing my new PURPLE motivational T-shirt and wondering what I've got me in for. Something good, I'm sure.

Not easy to do anything else but paperwork and little diddly things in this heat. Hopefully it will get better. I'm going to go do some "resting" before lunch.

Later.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #112  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Fresh Start Tuesday, Day 2

216.2. Believe it or not, that seems to be what we're twinning on, Anagram. Of all things. Unearned weight gain. I've been doing mostly pretty well but had a few indiscretions Saturday and Sunday evenings. However, I've had unexplained gains both Friday and this morning. I'm just hanging tough though and will continue and it will dissolve. Had a nice woods woggle this a.m. and some yoga. Couldn't get to sound yoga because I've got to wait for the locksmith who couldn't tell me when he might be able to get here. Doorknob assembly on the front door disintegrated when DH came back from his run. He opened the door and the knob came off in his hand. Always makes one feel a little non-plussed.

Wish we could split the difference in our temps, Wimmins! About 60 here -- how would it be if we averaged 'em out? Good, I think. If only! Some years we'd be thinking about the first trip to the beach but there must still be ice in the water out there now.

Anagram, congrats on signing up! Nice how soon such like makes one feel better. Speaking of which, I WILL complete one household task today and I WILL do something just for fun. Uh-huh

Kat, I have quinoa porridge for breakfast every morning and had quinoa salad at that dinner Saturday night. Well, it's supposedly very good for us but I have to say if I could eat wheat and oats and etc, I'd probably rarely eat quinoa when left to my own devices. I find it bland and lacking in "bite." I may have to look it up to remind me of why it's so healthful.

K, I've got DGS coming later so I'd better work while I can. Let's persevere and prosper, lies.

Last edited by Arabella; 06-10-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #113  

Smile Day 3

214.4. I do not accept these poundupages. Nuh-uh. And thus they are temporary. As, of course, are all other between me and ultimate goal.

I'm actually feeling some kind of a shift. I can see differences in my body, as can DH. On Sunday, I admitted to him that I'm still 46 pounds from goal (my actual weight and goal have always been classified info). Later on that day, he said I was looking slim and that he just didn't see where I was going to find 46 pounds to lose. So that was nice

Also, clothes that didn't quite fit properly just a few months ago now either fit or are getting slightly large. So, I feel I'm making progress. And the scale will yield to unyielding pressure.

I'm reading "Confessions of a Carb Queen" -- very engrossing. Horrific, a lot of identifying. Like her, I think a lot of my issues go way, way back. But I'm growing up now.

Tonight's my writer's group and I will let nothing stand in my way. It always makes me feel nurtured. And I will actually be able to report on writing and submitting a piece for publication

Well, I've got a shipload of work to do so ... heigh-ho.

Let's make this a good one, Goilies!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #114  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wow...

Had a great week-end....I now have a specialty winner, and she did well at the all-breed too...my puppy took another major, so she is nearly a champion.

Am off next week-end to Pennsylvannia. Am helping friend with Lab and Golden Specialties, down to the all-breed on the Sat and Sun... Another busy week-end. I'm not going anywhere this week-end thank the heavens!

Weight is constant....I would like to break into the lower decade...but also am experiencing the ups and downs....just a couple pounds but still....of course I am not drinking enough water, or doing my walking....although I do do the gardening and a fair amount of moving on week-ends. That may be why I'm hanging in there.... Time for some changes.

It has been stinking hot here, with some major storms....yuck.

Congrats Andria on the downage...and wsw, you are doing great! Anagram...good for you! I wish I had some sort of gym that close! I just refuse to drive to exercise....it would be a 30 min round trip for me. Arabella...glad you kept the St. Bernard at home. It is too hot for them and they drool a lot! Kat congrats on the pre-night milestone. You are awesome!

'k....gotta go do something outside. The Elephant ears have finally popped and need to be re-potted along with a tomato and some peppers...

Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #115  

Good morning

The princesses are off at camp until Saturday, so I've been busy keeping busy so as to not notice their absence. This house is awfully quiet without them. Fortunately, there are tons of things to do here, and I've also *drumroll* returned to the gym! I have some making up to do for weeks lost on my personal challenge, and being back at Curves should go a long way toward that.
By the way, I also did get out of the house the other morning, and I walked 1.4 miles. I wanted to stay out longer, but the sun had come out full force about a third of the way through, and I could tell it was time to get inside. I was hot! We always joked about the dry heat back where I used to live, but there really is a difference. 95 and up here is absolutely miserable with the humidity, but I could hang out in 110 or so if I had to back home. For now, I keep thinking about how much cooler I will feel as I continue to drop weight, and I'm using that as extra motivation.
Since I'm bored and have too much time on my hands for my own good, I've been experimenting in the kitchen. Last night was a creamy asparagus and chicken soup that turned out quite well. I used skim evaporated milk instead of half and half or heavy cream, and I was actually pretty happy with the results. Unfortunately, my husby wasn't impressed at all, and we ended up having something entirely different for dinner. Ah well. Soup is always better the second day, and I know what I'm having for lunch!

Ceara, grats on the dog wins! I haven't been moving forward on weight loss either, and it seems to fall to the simple sort of things you mentioned; I haven't been drinking enough water, and I haven't been getting in much walking. Enjoy your weekend--sounds like you'll need to be saving up your energy for the next one!

Arabella, Wahoo! for you on the clothes fitting, or even better, NOT fitting! I see shopping in someone's near future... Have fun at your writer's group tonight. You know, I ought to indulge in some writing today since I have this nice, quiet house all to myself.

Anagram, your gym sounds terrific! The district I want to get hired by also has a great deal with one of the local gyms--everything is free as long as you pick up the district's health insurance. I love Curves, but this gym is even closer, has a pool, and I could ride a bike there as I get more fit.

Kat, Thank you so much for being self-aware. I woke up super grumpy yesterday, was in tears before 5 a.m., and I didn't even consider PMS until I read your post. Once I realized that was all that was wrong with me, I got up and got moving. Always helps, doesn't it.

I'd better get downstairs and start cleaning, etc. I was outside working on the yard earlier, but one of the neighbors came up and started making comments like, "Wow, you're actually watering the lawn! You plan on mowing next?" Hrmph. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails. My plan is to head out again when he isn't around. Wish me luck!

Andria
Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #116  
a work in progress...

Sorry for the quickie, but I should be in bed. I committed to going in at 6am tomorrow, so I can leave early to get son to orthodontist. The unbearable heat broke today, and it was loverly, in the high, DRY 80s. Ah, that humidity is a killer...just saps the energy from you! Last night around dusk, I felt the need to get outside... it was still deathly hot, but I wanted to do a little deadheading. I was pouring sweat within minutes. Once I'm all sweaty and gross though, what the heck, so I planted the perennials I had divided a week ago that were miraculously still alive. Gave 'em plenty of water, so we'll see what happens. When it was too dark to see anymore, I was done. Felt very accomplished!

PMS predictions were on the money! I'm staying away from the scale til at least Sunday.

Oh, I wanted to write more, but my head is starting to droop, and the excessive amount of typos tells me I'm done.

Keep cool... I'll see y'all tomorrow!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #117  

What a HILARIOUS neighbor, Andria! At least HE thinks he is. Yes, it could take you sailwind away but don't let it (happened to me once at a meeting I attended - never went back - I know the kind (and she really usually was) lady who made the HILARIOUS remarks really thought she was witty and never realized she cost the group my dedication

Yes, I'd like to send you some heat even though it's broken some here too. Looking forward to next week when it should be even more seasonal. Jumpted to heat too fast.

Only good part about going in at 6:00, kat, is that the world is so nice then with sunrise and all. Plus will get you home earlier for a good (and deserved) loll.

Arabella, I really think we are twins separated at birth (and by more than a few years). I was down a nice bit last week - up again this week, down again, up again etc. Annoying.

One thing I noted (and am taking on as a motto of sorts) - new gym says they have no scale in their locker room as that is not a true measure of achievement. That it's more HOW you feel, how clothes fit, etc. Sometime I'll feel great and like I'll get a lower number, weigh in and have to fight depression. I'm trying to FEEL that way everyday and ignore scale, yet I do have to step on (and on, and on).

this business of being up and motivated and inspired is a full time job.

ceara, where in PA? Just being nosy but that way I know which direction to send vibes. Quite a long trip, no? And, congrats, on the puppy prizes! I don't know if I've ever mentioned how impressed I am with all you do for that "hobby". You do get in the FUN part.

And you seem set to get in your FUN today, WN with DGS coming. Don't know what mine will be but I WILL, I WILL get some.

Going back to gym today. Don't want to mislead anyone into thinking I'm doing much exercising. I'm not yet - being slowly introduced which suits me fine. It IS a nice place - no pool but a hot tub, sauna, and CLEAN. Actually when I get in my walking, pool and tai chi, I felt exercised enough. It's getting it in. Still hope to integrate all occasionally. (See GOOD INTENTIONS.)

So have errands to run before it gets past the "nice" stage outside. IT IS GOING TO BE A GOOD DAY, IT IS.

Enjoy DGS, WN. Sorry your soup was not appreciated, Andria - sounds great to me.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #118  

Thumbs up Day 4

213.2. There now, getting back towards formerly held territory.

Remember the story I submitted for publication? I sent it to the Globe and Mail (our National newspaper in Canada) on Monday night and got a response yesterday afternoon that they're going to publish it!

It's the story of my DGS' quest for a baby sister. I'll post a link when they publish. The editor said it usually takes weeks before they even read a submission but that my title (The Baby Kit) compelled her to read it.

It's only $100 but great exposure. And very encouraging to me in terms of trying to go freelance and write for various publications.

Andria, sending good vibes for you to get a job in the district you want : I would love to go to a gym with a pool but I can't convince DH to switch because the one with a pool -- and a sauna! -- is five minutes farther. I even tried to insist last year that it was my turn to choose. What a stubborn man!

Ceara, so nice to see you in the palace. Congrats on all doggy stuff! Gosh, you've been travelling a lot lately. Hope you're enjoying it.

Anagram, walking, pool and tai chi sounds pretty much perfect! You're right -- staying up and motivated is a full-time job but it really does pay well. I'm a little tired today from two nights without enough sleep but am no frickin' way letting that derail me. I'm going to treat myself to some nice breaks -- read a novel on the deck for a few minutes. Yes, at long last my P of P & C is warm enough to visit. Huzzah!

Kat, how I wish I had some of your gardening mojo! I really love the results but I have to admit that I'm... lazy. Plus tend to get overwhelmed by the potential volume of work. Oh, do I see an attitude that needs some adjustment? K. I WILL clear and mulch 3 sq. ft. today. Thanks for being so inspiring!

WSW, how goes it, Sweetheart?

Kaylets? K -- let's!

ly folkettes, let us be royal today.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #119  

OMG, just have to share: I'm reading "Confessions of a Carb Queen" -- her family visits her for a week after she's been at the diet center for a couple of years and has lost over 200 pounds. She gets totally derailed and gains FORTY pounds in a week, going from 250 to 290. After a week back OP she'd lost all but 15 pounds again but... sheesh!

Freaked me right out! I think the next time I feel like letting control go I might rethink it...
Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #120  

My focus today is treating myself like a . This does not mean I'm spending the day at a spa, but it does mean that I'm taking things at the pace I want and I'm doing things that make me happy instead of letting the rest of the world dictate that to me. Feels pretty good so far!
We are still on 4:30 mornings here, but I wanted to do something special for DH's breaky instead of sending him off with a SlimFast (he isn't much of a breakfast guy, so this is how he usually starts his day). A new acquaintance hooked me up with a sourdough start, and I had prepped it yesterday for making sourdough waffles this morning. They turned out so well! They were perfectly crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle. My not-into-breakfast husby actually ate three before leaving the house. That went a long way toward his not liking the soup the other night. Waffles aren't the lightest of all foods, but he did top his with a 5 calorie syrup, so it balanced nicely. I had one with the light syrup, but then I got thinking about it, and I decided that what I really wanted was a full, rich flavor on mine. I grabbed out a nice honey and used that instead.
Normally I wouldn't talk about a not really diety food on here so much, but it got me thinking about how my attitude has begun to change toward food and life in general. I started out the day knowing this is what I wanted to make/eat, and because of that, I would have to make sure to hit the gym. I also made a conscious decision about the topping for my waffles. I wanted something that didn't taste diet; these waffles really did deserve something better. Heck, I deserved something better. And no matter how I try to avoid that, sometimes for me, treating myself well involves food. I shouldn't have to turn my back on something I don't really believe is wrong. I love food. I especially love GOOD food. Food isn't a punishment, and it shouldn't be a reward, but it can be more than just the fuel for my body as long as I keep balance and perspective.
I really like that I was able to have something I love for breaky this morning, and I didn't even begin to feel the need to beat myself up over it. I did go to the gym, and I made sure to really give that workout my all. I came home and had a nice serving of soup for lunch (the asparagus soup is now gone *pout*). I'm planning to have an apple and a salad later this afternoon so I'm not feeling too famished by dinner. Dinner is going to be chicken with mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and a light lemon cream sauce. I'll probably ditch half the pasta that comes with it and have more salad. The day will be filled with good food, food that I deserve to be eating, and I'll be satisfied on more than just a surface level. This really is my idea of treating myself like a queen.

Arabella, WOW! I am so happy for you! I can hardly wait for the link. And you are absolutely right about the exposure. One article like that can make it much easier to get into regional magazines as well as other papers. You probably already know this, but make sure of what date the piece is yours again. I was surprised how many writers I knew recycled their well-received pieces from small magazines, selling them to larger magazines for lots more money.

Anagram, I think you do know my neighbor. He really is the sweetest thing, but his sense of humor is getting in the way of our relationship. He just doesn't seem to get that DH works about 80 hours a week, and we are keeping yard maintenance as low as possible because I am not fit enough to do it all by myself.
And are you a scale addict as well? I used to get on five or more times a morning, like I was expecting some huge Whoosh Faerie to come swooping down and shift the numbers from fifteen minutes before. I was definitely weighing myself for the wrong reasons back then; that number really doesn't have anything to do with my self-worth. Please feel free to remind me of those words when and if necessary.

Kat, even though it was hot and sweaty, the gardening just sounds wonderful! Glad you are getting a break from the heat now. Our weather just keeps teasing. We start out every morning with thick, black clouds, but they break by 9 and the heat comes on. Ah well. That is why I have air conditioning, right?

I'd better get outta here and get some errands finished up before the rest of the day escapes me. Have great ones!

Andria
Closed Thread