Brides to be

You're on Page 23 of 30
Go to
  • Cindy – You’re making my head spin! I’m sure the final weeks are the busiest by far.

I think bathroom baskets are a grand idea. What do you put in them for the guys bathroom? Guys seem to be relatively low maintenance.

We’ve got our bachelorette party plans all set for the Thursday before our friends wedding, 2 weeks from today. Where is the time going? Took my bridesmaid dress in for alterations, going shopping for shoes this weekend. We’re putting together a scrapbook/memories book for the bridal shower, I printed up a few pages of photos and just need to go the scrapbooking store for supplies now. Plan on working on that with the MOH this weekend too. It’s going to be a crazy wedding weekend, I don’t think I’ve ever hosted so many out-of-towners but I know them all pretty well and it should be a great time.

Christine – Hope everything was perfect, can’t wait to hear all about it.

I dropped another 2 pounds, woo hoo!
  • My guys baskets had:

-Hand Lotion
    -Hand Sanitizer
    -Tylenol
    -Benadryl
    -A mini first aid kit
    -Wrinkle Releaser
    -Stain Remover Wipes
    -Q-tips
    -Mints and Gum
    -Antacids
    -For outdoor wedding (my sister's), bug repellant wipes

Other people suggested putting Axe deodorant body spray in there, but I didn't. Also, depending on your crowd, moral values, and general sense of whats going to be going on, you may want to tuck some condoms discreetly in the back (at my sisters wedding, there were at least 3 random hookups and these definitely got used).

For the girls, I kept the same basic kit and added hairspray, bobby pins, and tampons. I also added extra bandaids, because girls use them for shoe blisters, and blotting papers.
  • Hi ladies! I am not engaged, but I do have a question about a wedding (seems I can turn to this site for about anything!) I had never received a formal invitation for a wedding until now and have a response (RSVP) card to send in. It has a line for my name, then a line for the number of guests, I am curious if I am supposed to count myself on the second line or just the person I am bringing...? It's a dumb question, but I kinda want to get it right.
  • It should reflect the total number attending, so 2 if it's you and a guest.
    HTH
    Cindy
  • So I'm braving the Saturday morning crowds (like a shmuck) and am off to find a wedding dress! I need to check out a bridesmaids dress I saw on the David's Bridal website and since NONE of the bridemaids lives in Denver, I have to snatch up the opportunity since one IS in town at the moment.

Silly qustion, but is there anything in particular I need to bring? Apropriate undergarments? I'm assuming my Oscar The Grouch underwear is a no-no
  • If you are going to David's you probably will want to bring the right undergarments, like a strapless bra. Otherwise they are going to push you hard to buy theirs!

Hello lovely ladies!

The wedding was wonderful. A few things did not go as planned, but it's all good. No pictures yet, which is why I have hesitated to post, but I'm happy to let you see them when I get them!
  • Snacks at the end of the evening?
    I've been thinking that I'd like to have something for people to munch on at the reception around 10:00 - 10:30. Something I would provide myself - stuff that could just be tucked under the head table and brought out to the tables for people. Any ideas? I was thinking some sort of cheesy-breadsticks, my mom is thinking Chex mix. Anything that could be made in advance - either homemade or store bought. I do know that I definitely don't want anything sweet - there will have been enough of that already!

Cindy
  • Cindy - I would go with some sort of salty mix with nuts. That's what I'm in the mood to eat after a hard night of partying. Plus the fat in the nuts helps slow down the alcohol absorbtion.

Christine - Lookiong forward to those pix and a recap!

My house is about to become wedding central, the bride and groom arrive next Tuesday with most of the rest of the party arriving by Thursday. I'm so excited. We went to the party store and the "adult" store for bachelorette supplies, I hope the bride lets loose and lets us embarass her a little. Perhaps we will have to ply her with some Franzia first.

Got my shoes, dark brown (to match the dress) ballet type flats with a little bow. I have big flat feet and should wear heels to make them more attractive, but my feet are going to be comfortable and that matters the most to me.
  • I changed my mind. I don't wanna get married!

Ok, the wedding is definitely still on, but it certainly isn't the "everything's falling into place and going smoothly" affair I thought it would be. All we have to do over the next few months is pick out a dress and put down the deposit to hold the date. A) We (and by "we", I mean the other half of this operation) are having a difficult time parting with the deposit money as "we" are a little tight with money (normally, this is a good thing and we balance eachother out very well in this regard, but not now!) and B) Dress shopping was a nightmare! A very close friend and bridesmaid with an excellent sense of style (and a mother who is a designer!) was NO help whatsoever.

Also, trying on dresses brought out the wonderful distorted body image feature that appears every so often. I'm at a normal, healthy weight, but all I could see in those dresses was the obese girl I was before, never comfortable and never feeling quite right in the clothes I so desired to wear. I just felt like a total fake in those dresses, with my size 6/8 top and size 12(!) bottom. And that's another thing: I also felt completely disproportioned after the "sizing"! It just kills me to be back to that place where I just want to hide myself.

Ugh. Thanks for letting me spill all over the thread for a moment. I'm going again this Saturday to some different places with some different people and *hopefully* a new attititude.
  • oh junebug!

Sorry things are in a rough patch right now. Dress shopping can be a nightmare, I myself am having a really hard time coming to terms with my back fat right now. Just take some deep breaths and remind yourself of all the wonderful progress you've made and know that all these wedding details will come together.

I am slacking on the dress shopping. I am just not that into it, I just want the perfect dress without having to go hunt it down, you know? Is that too much to ask?
  • Hey everyone! Sorry I've been absent... I went in to the hospital for emergency surgery last week. Ovarian cysts burst... HOLY HURT! I also had endometriosis and fibroid tumors so all kinds of neat stuff had to be removed. I am now recovering for the next 4-6 weeks out of work. I guess it's nice to have the time to make wedding phone calls, etc., but I sure wish I felt better! The good news: Since the surgery, I have lost 14 POUNDS!!! Now I know why I could be good and still gain weight. It's nice to know it wasn't my weakness for cake samples!

I hear ya about DB's and finding the right dress. I will have to run right up to the wire to get a good fit. I expect to lose another 20 pounds and, since swelling is certainly an issue, I think it will pay to wait and save on the alterations. Plus, the idea of trying on dresses right now is too painful to contemplate. I am hanging out in my fiance's sweats.

I think I have decided to try a regular bridal store. All of my DB's experiences have been so miserable, I just can't bear to give them my money. Unfortunately, their clover color is the exact shade of my mom's bridesmaids' dresses back in 1972 so I will probably stick with them for the bridesmaids' dresses.

I wish you all luck with dresses... there is a dress out there for everyone. I just know it!
  • Thank you ladies so much!

Today went MUCH better. I started at David's Bridal. I had an appointment and the lady I had was HORRIBLE! We've figured out that I can try on 10's and 12's and she was bringing 2's, 6's, 18's..... just utterly clueless. And very rude. We found a couple more that I liked and moved on to a smaller boutique. I finally had someone tell me that the simple, form fitting, straight lined dresses that I was trying on just weren't going to work with my long legs and short torso. All I needed was for someone to tell me what was going to work and what would look like crap! Anyway, I think I found the dress, a Maggie Sottero... Whoever said this was the fun part must've been out of their mind...
  • Wonderful Jen! Congratulations on finding not only a dress but also a helpful dress opinion!

I also have a short torso but I have short legs, too. At 5'4", I am on the fence between petite and regular. I learned it is impossible to shorten the torso of a dress so you have to get the right fit to start.

What style are you looking at?
  • http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.a...=8&style=J1102

here is one... I would have never picked it out by myself and my seamstress will be adding some accents and details to make it pop a bit more, but it fit just beautifully. I couldn't find a bad angle on it for the life of me.

Edit: I know what you meana bout having it fit from the start. Also, these designers somehow assume that I have the boobs to fill this thing out!
  • OMG! I just saw the part about your cyst! I've had that happen and you are right- OUCH! Hope you feel better soon.