Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #76  
Help a Newbie Out!

S/C/G: 180 / 180 / 130

Height: 5' 2.5"

I am student studying engineering... and I just joined this weblog ring.... Well I've never done weblogs before... so someone may want hint at weblog ettiquite that would be great!

Right now I'm currently at: 180 lbs

My goal weight is: 120 lbs

I'm 5' 2.5" and I'm a large build (but I want to say a medium large build).

I was really active in highschool I swam and played soccer... when I hit college I think my activity level flew to through the bottom of the floor boards. Plus my food intake wasn't as healthy as it was.

I can't afford much so I've been living off of ramen (bad nutrition) and water. I'm trying to do the special-k diet for 2 weeks but it seems I'm having a relapse of hot and greasy foods! Not only to that... I'm not able to get in any form of exercise. I am walking to and from campus. So I stay on campus all day and then when all my classes are finished... I walk home. Plus since it's winter.. it's really cold out here!!!!! So I try not to say outside for longer than I have to be.

Well I wish you all luck with your adventures!
collegegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #77  

I'm sure you looked luuurvely Nikaia, post a picture??

Welcome, collegegurl! There's lots of us in very similar situations. Perhaps your problem with the special k diet was a lack of protein and fat (which keeps us full)...I think that if you're on a budget the special k idea could work if you incorporated less carbohydrates in the other foods you ate. I love cereal and can honestly say I'd probably be ok eating 2 bowls everyday for the rest of my life, but maybe a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix might help.

Feel free to post anywhere, hope to see you around
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #78  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Heya Collegegurl, welcome to the group! I think Sweet_Talker is right about getting enough protein and such; also, iirc, Special K isn't exactly a high-fiber cereal. Fiber and protein are the biggies that help us to stay full longer. I understand the not having a lot of money - trust me, I understand, if my chest were as flat as my wallet, I wouldn't have lungs! - but there are cheap options. Eggs are good for protein if you can do that, also cottage cheese. Beans are relatively cheap, and if you spend a few bucks and get a pound of ground turkey you can make a healthy turkey chili that will, if you make a good-sized batch, last you several meals. In case you wanna try that idea, here's the recipe (such that it is; I don't measure anything):

1 lb ground turkey
about 3/4 of a small bottle of salsa
1/3 onion, chopped
can of pinto beans
red pepper flakes to taste
smidge of olive oil or butter

Use a pretty big (deep) skillet. Start out by cooking the chopped onion a bit in the oil/butter. Once that's looking half-cooked, add the turkey and brown it a little - don't have to get it totally browned yet. Add the can of beans, the salsa, stir. Add red pepper flakes - careful how much, this will take some trial-and-error. I way over-peppered my most recent batch. - and stir those in too. It should be pretty liquid-y at this point; slap a lid on, turn the heat down, and let it simmer for awhile. I usually check it after ten minutes, maybe give it another five minutes after that, maybe not. Once it's reduced to a consistency you like, serve it up! I usually put mine over brown rice, which helps to soften the bite of the peppers a bit, and adds a different texture to the meal.

Sweet_Talker, I know I've got some pics on my camera...I took them for my SO cause it's a long-distance relationship and I know he wanted to see me all dressed up. I'll post once I've got the pics off the camera.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #79  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd jump in and say hi!

How have your guys' days been?

Mine was so-so. Had an assignment due and I had an exam. Then I studied for the next two exams I have tomorrow. Grrr.... I hate midterm season.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

Hey girls

That turkey recipe sounds tasty as! I'll definitly try it soon. As for studying and exams, here in Australia, we are only just gearing up to start uni for the year. O Week is next week (week long beer fest, and also crazy recruitment time for AIESEC) and then lectures start in earnest on Mon 26th.

Good luck with your exams...I'm glad I don't have any for another 6 months!!

Kylie
Elerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:11 AM   #81  

PS - you will all be glad to hear that i finally tried Cottage Cheese!! It looks so gross, I had to really convince myself to try some. BUT - it tastes like cream cheese to me, so I really like it! I have been adding it to my wraps instead of philly. I have discovered the problem with wraps is that there is so much salad and so little bread I get hungry quickly afterward. Any suggestions?

Kylie
Old 02-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #82  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

Good for you. I need to try some cottage cheese.

What else do you put in your wraps? Like what kind of veggies? If you use some really nutrient dense veggies it might help. Like spinach instead of lettuce.
I like wraps with spinach tomatoe, cucumber and hummus.

All my midterms are done! And I'm home for reading break. YAY!!!! I'm at home though, and it's a little lonely right now (the family is busy with their lives).... I just finished pigging out on chocolate chips and it's not even noon! I feel so gross.

Ugh.

Hopefully the rest of the week will go better. How was everyone else's weekend?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #83  
WW Moderator

Try and add some more protein to your wraps. If you like deli meat, turkey is great. Back in my meat eating days, I liked sliced grapes, turkey and light laughing cow cheese wraps. YUM!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #84  

Hey!

Thanks for the tips. In often do put turkey in the wraps, its soooo tasty! I will try english silverbeet in my next round of wraps. It's a smaller leaf, and is much more palatable IMO, than regualar icky spinach! I love Laughing Cow so much - I could eat the 8 portions in one go! (I dont - anymore... )

Thanks again. Woo - I had carrot sticks and tzatziki (sp?) and some cottage cheese today more morning tea. It was yummo!

Kylie
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #85  

Hey - where did everybody go?

Kylie
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 191/141/122

Height: 4'10.75"

Hi from the Philippines! I'm really glad I found this group (if for nothing else, it's helping me procrastinate, I have two exams tomorrow). I graduated from college last year, but now I'm in med school and still living in a dorm. That means I'm still eating the same crappy food, staying up really late, and not exercising enough (or at all at this point). I wish I had the resources to exercise and eat right...any suggestions? There's no gym here, which was what I was used to at my old school, so I'm not really sure what to do.
littleflip66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #87  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Heya all. I was at my mom's over the four day weekend, sorry for the LOA. Also, had a midterm due last Wed and again yesterday (different class) so I've been pretty busy. Luckily, midterms are over now. Just gotta keep slogging a few more weeks and that's it for the quarter.

I really like cottage cheese, once I can get past the texture. It really does look gross, doesn't it? I try to get the least-liquidy stuff I can, and that helps, cause it looks more like pellets of cheese than white puke. Sorry for the visual! :P

Anyway, hi Flip, and there are definitely ways to exercise without access to a normal gym. I don't go to my campus gym - way too filled with 100-lb fluffys who wear makeup to work out and frat boys grunting at each other in Neanderthal-speak. Instead, I'm doing DDR at home, and have a few exercise DVDs that I rotate on. Eating right is similar - even at dining halls, there are bad and not-so-bad options, and you can also squirrell away food in your room to work with during your midnight study sessions.

Talk to you guys later!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 158/158/128

Red face New and looking for support!

Hi-
I am a freshman in college and am desperate to FINALLY lose weight after being heavy my entire life. I weigh 158lbs. and would like to get down to 128-135lbs. eventually. I am 18 years old, never had a boy friend, or a kiss, and I can not help but feel that it is because I'm fat. I'm a pretty girl, but I'm also the fat girl. Going out (or even staying in) is hard when all of my friends look like super models, never set foot in a gym, and eat pizza, cookies, and ice cream constantly. I always feel left out when they go out for ice cream or are snacking on chips and watching tv. I can't seem to control myself in those situations. Plus the food in my school cafeteria sucks and I always feel awakard at the gym--like everyone is wondering why the fat girl is even bothering. All I really want is to be thin. If I want it SO badly, then why can't I seem to stay committed and lose the weight. I'm hoping this website will help keep me accountable. I'm still trying to figure out how this whole thing works...so if you guys have any advice please let me know!
MotivatedToLose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #89  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

Hey all!

I haven't been posting... Just lurking. I'm visiting family right now, so I've been busy with friends and chillaxing as well as some (gasp!) studying.

Hee hee.

Anyway... I saw a therapist today about some of my disordered binge eating. She gave me some exercises to do when I feel the need to binge. One of them worked really well, and I'm almost looking forward to being able to use it.

Hey MotivatedToLose.... Just so you know I'm a second year college student and I too have never had a boyfriend. I bet you that your not having a boyfriend has very little to do with being "fat" partly because, looking at your weight, you aren't really big for your height.

I know for me the problem stems from being unbearable shy around guys for most of my life. I also don't put myself out on the line (I'm terrified of rejection!)...

And it's hard when you have great looking friends who don't seem to put any effort into being thin. But instead of being resentful (I've been there) try and watch what they do around food, what's their relationship with it? Do they stop when they're full? Eat mostly fruits and veggies? Try and immulate the ones who have a healthy relationship with food (eat a few meals a day, listen to their hunger/fullness levels...)

And if you want a buddy who you can be accountable with, just send me a PM! I'm always up for a new buddy.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #90  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

**bump**