Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #1  

Cool Sugarbusters Weekly Support Board 2/20 - 2/26

Welcome to Sugarbusters!

This is the Sugarbusters support board, where anyone following, or interested in following, Sugarbusters is welcome to come for discussion, and support. We hope you will become a part of our great group!

We try to have different themes for different days of the week.

MONDAY: MMM, or Metal Monster Monday, is when we weigh in, and post our progress. This is voluntary.

TUESDAY: Is tip day- we try to share a tip, or two to help each other.

WEDNESDAY: Is Wonderful Wednesday. On Wednesdays, we share something wonderful about our selves, or our lives.

THURSDAY: Is Thirst Day! A reminder to drink your water! Its a good day to share a recipe too!

FRIDAY: Is FF, for Friday funnies. Everyone needs a laugh on Friday!

You are welcome to post questions, vent frustrations, whatever, but please be respectful of others and their beliefs.

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have FIVE INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...82#post1138982

NEWBIES: To post a reply, please hit reply and NOT new thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:12 PM   #2  

Smile Challenges!!!

Exercise! Three times minimum, and POST it, dang it!

Plan your menu for the week! Fail to plan and you plan to fail!

Try a new recipe, share your opinion, and if its good, post it in the quarterly recipe thread!

Do something nice for yourself this week, just because you are wonderful. Don't you DARE argue with me about this! You ARE wonderful....
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #3  

HUGCRYSTAL: You asked about the quarterly recipes...for a while, we did not emphasis the recipes, and people were just not posting new ones, so there will be a gap where there are none. Sorry if it is confusing.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Happy Monday

Good morning everyone...

Well my weigh in this morning was ok, I stayed the same, so I won't complain since I was off plan a bit last week.

I hope that all is well with everyone and that they had an enjoyable weekend.

Princess
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday,

Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was so cold here you couldn't go out of the house. I think with was 9 or 10. I'm soo ready for spring.

We did go to dinner yesterday. We ended up doing the buffet. Big mistake. I was so miserable and still feel miserable. Needless to say, I avoided the scale today and maybe will do so all week. Back on track today.

Saturday we grilled some huge porkchops on the grill. Poor DH has to keep running in and out it was so cold. But they were the best things I have ever eaten. We had some roasted asparagus, lima beans and sweet potatoes. Again, too much food. It was better than any meal we could have ordered out.

Bob, I noticed you watch the Food Network. Have I told you I am totally obessessed with Rachel Ray and her 30 minute meals. I watch both shows while at the gym and the time just flies by. I really like her. She cooks things I would actually eat and have on hand. Hope Kate is improving with each day. It must be so frustrating for her. Sending prayers. Can't beleive the Cats actually pulled that game out and by such a big win. We have a tough road ahead, UT, FLA,.

KayeC, Saying a prayer for your boys. How sad they have to fight such a thing at their age. I also have an autoimmune disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis. I also take 10 methotrexate a week. I'm sure the metho prevents his hair from growing back and probably causes it to fall out. Keeping them in my prayers.

Gator, yes we play the Gators for senior night. That's going to be a bummer. Sorry about your loss this weekend. I was surprised. Guess it goes to show, anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

Monet, thanks for starting the boards. What would we do without you? Some go challenges this week. Although I'm not crazy about the wonderful thing. Have a good day.

Princess, staying the same is good. You'll get them next week.

Have a great day. OP that is
Old 02-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #6  

Default Mmm-

Good morning! I slept late this morning, and I am about to wander down and find some coffee. We are out of the good beans, so I am contemplating whether I want the old ones or not....

I hopped on the Metal Monster this morning, and much to my surprise, I am down a pound and a half! Oh, yeah! I am not sure HOW, due to the chocolate I ate the other night, but I will take it! I honestly think it is because we ate dinner yesterday at 3, and I did not eat after that. I was not hungry, and just went to bed. I need to figure out how to feed the family, and not succumb to the temptation of eating myself.

Anyway, I have 1/2 a pound left to lose to be back down to my pre-holiday low. I am feeling encouraged.

I have a friend coming over for coffee this morning, and she is going to ride with me to the school to paint the fund raiser sign. I think I will treat her to coffee at Caribou, since I am out of good beans!

I will be back later.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:29 AM   #7  

Good morning.... We're snowed in here. DH stayed home from work and didn't even try to get up our steep hill with this pile of white stuff. The county just brought a truck down and tried to scrape a bit off the road for us. The weather calls for rain or snow tomorrow too.... What a way to start the week, LOL! Just had some coffee and now I'm off to scramble a couple eggs. Will pop back in later...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #8  

Morning to all. Just a quick check in. I was off work Friday and I have a bit of catching up to do today.

My dh birthday is on March 3rd and I'm making him a bday cookie. I'm trying to find a relatively SB friendly recipe for a chocolate chip cookie. I know the chocolate chips won't be SB friendly. I meant to bring the recipe I have at home and see if you guys could help me tweak it. I'll have to remember to do that tomorrow. I guess it's a moot point though since I'm making royal icing to decorate with. It calls for 4 cups of powdered sugar and I don't think there's any alternative for that. Mind you, I've never baked a cookie from scratch or done icing from scratch or decorated it.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #9  

Quick check in. Its so cold here- I just want to stay cuddly all day. I am weighing in on Wednesdays now- so will let you know how it goes then. My sis in law gave us a PIANO this weekend- she had it in her house for a long time and no one played it, so seeing as she is trying to sell her house, she gave us the piano. My girls are so excited!!! Does anyone know about any good lesson books for the girls (ages 5 and 7) to start out with? I want to get them lessons eventually, but no money for it right now- thought I'd start with the books. I can read some basic music and my husband plays proficient guitar and reads music, so hopefully that will help. Any suggestions???

I am drinking my coffee still and its not waking me up. I do have off tonite, but have a really busy week at work. My boss is going away for 3 days and I am teaching her classes and also a couple kids tap classes of hers. I will be ready for a hot bath come Friday!!!

Monet- awesome on the 1.5 pounds!!!

Nicolee- as far as I'm concerned, the more SB friendly you can make a recipe, the better. Even if its not 100%. I made gingerbread men over the holidays with splenda and ww flour, but decorated them with a bit of sugared frosting. But they were better than regular ones.

Toni- enjoy your day snowed in with hubby- sometimes it can be fun!!

Solly- I am soooo with you on spring- its so cold here, I just want to sleep!!! I cannot go near buffets anymore. We went to one in FL while we were on vacation and I just kept eating and eating. NO control. The good news is that I had no desire for desserts- the bad news is that I probably made up for it 10 times over with the 500 or so plates full I ate !!!!!!!!!

Princess- staying the same is just fine! Its a good sign that your body is staying the same even after going off plan a bit!

OK- off to play a game with my kids. I SHOULD be doing laundry, but I am in denial.

Have a great day......... MUNCH
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #10  

I want to make some WW Bread but all the recipes I see use a breadmaker. I don't have a breadmaker, so does anybody out there have any recipes for ww bread that can just be done the old fashioned way?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 188/178/160

Hi All!

It's cold here too but no sign of new snow coming this way, although we do have plenty on the ground from last week's blizzard. I'll make today my first "official" weigh-in. I started SB three weeks ago and have lost 8 lbs. Now if I can just do 2 lbs. a week I'll be content.

Today's lunch is so pleasing to look at. I made the Mediterrean Tuna which I found the recipe here. It's a bit odd, but very different from any tuna I've ever made and I think I like it. I roasted red peppers Saturday, so the tuna on a bed of dark green romaine, roasted red peppers, black olives, cucumbers, hard boiled egg, shredded red cabbage and grape tomatoes...it's beautiful.

It's been many years since I looked at Adele Davis's recipes, but Nicolee's question about WW bread made me think of her book. I don't even think I have a copy any more but I'm going to hunt it down and order it somewhere. I no longer enjoy cooking but I do love to read cookbooks.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Carole
Old 02-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #12  

Here's one I found on a Kitchenaid site:

We have one! Whole Grain Wheat Bread

1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cups warm water (105-115F)
2 packages active dry yeast
5-6 cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup powdered milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 oil

Dissolve 1 tablespoon brown sugar in warm water in small bowl. Add yeast and let mixture stand.
Place 4 cups flour, powdered milk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and salt in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer. Turn to Speed 2 and mix about 15 seconds. Continuing on Speed 2, gradually add yeast mixture and oil to flour mixture and mix about 1 ½ minutes longer. Stop and scrape bowl, if necessary.
Continuing on Speed 2, add remaining flour, ½ cup at a time, and mix about 2 minutes, or until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.
NOTE: Dough may not form a ball on hook. However, as long as the hook comes in contact with dough, kneading will be accomplished. Do not add more than the maximum amount of flour specified or a dry loaf will result.
Place dough in greased bowl, tuning to grease top. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf. Place in greased 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2 ½ inch baking pan. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
Bake at 400F for 15 minutes. Reduce overn temperature to 350F and bake 30 minutes longer. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
Yield: 32 servings (16 slices per loaf).

I'm thinking that agave could be subbed for the brown sugar. Does the rest of the stuff look okay?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Our WM has recently started carrying the Splenda Brown Sugar for baking. I wonder if that would also work?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #14  

I didn't even think about that. I've seen it but just ignored it because I rarely use brown sugar (except at Thanksgiving when I make sweet potatoe casserole). I'll be interested to see what the SB pros have to day about it.

Edit: I just went to the Splenda site and I don't think it's SB legal. Here's what the site says about it:

Cook, Bake and Sprinkle with Half the Brown Sugar
Now you can have the rich taste and aroma but with 1/2 the sugar. A spoonful of new SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend has the sprinkle, sparkle and sweetness you love. Your oatmeal won't know the difference, and neither will your chocolate chip cookies.

SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend for Baking:

SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend is a first-of-its-kind product that combines SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, or sucralose, with brown sugar.

The brown sugar in SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend provides the browning, rising, texture, moistness and molasses-like flavor characteristic of baked goods made with brown sugar.

Sweetness for sweetness, SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend contains half the calories and carbohydrate of brown sugar.

SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend can be used anywhere that brown sugar is used.

Available at all grocery, supermarket and club stores nationwide beginning September 2005, available in a 1/2 lb. bag that provides the sweetness of 1 lb. of brown sugar, and a 1 lb. bag that provides the sweetness of 2 lbs. of brown sugar.

Just a half-cup of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend replaces a full cup of brown sugar.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 223/192.6/160

Height: 5'7

Default Bread Recipe

Nicolee: I have a bread recipe that I use at home and will bring it with me tomorrow and post it for you. I don't have a bread machine either so I make mine by hand. Sorry I can't get it to you until tomorrow but I am at work right now. I replace the sugar or honey with the Agave. But in the beginning I did not have Agave so I just used one tablespoon honey and it came out fine

Princess
Closed Thread