Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 01:12 PM   #31  

Good morning ladies.......

Made it through the night with not one single piece of candy!!!!
The scales said I was down another 2 pounds this morning so I can see that all those trips to the bathroom yesterday paid off. It is raining and yucky again today so don't think I will get my walk in. Did my upperbody workout this am, so looks like it might be time to pull out the old stationary bike. I keep it in the shop during the spring and summer when I walk.

B-- Sausage, eggs and cheese.
L-- Leftover burger with cheese, and green salad.
D--Grilled chicken breast, mushrooms, green pepper and onions, 1/2 c sf jello.

Monet-- Sorry to hear you are crabby this morning........could it be gout in your toe??

Solly--I quit decorating my house a couple of years ago. Just don't get enough kids here to go through all the trouble. I gave all my stuff to a couple of my nieces, they were tickled pink. I really had some neat stuff. I love Halloween though......not the candy part, but the costume part. Being a tavern owner for years....that was my favorite holiday......we always had a costume party with a band that came in and played. It was a ball......another good one for the tavern business was St Paddy's day.......

Tech-- I started out on Protein Power, and when I get to carried away with the sugars I like to go back to it and detox. It really does help. I just have to watch myself when I start adding the fruits and whole grains back in. The whole grains really haven't been the problem, it is those darn sweets. I went sooooo very long, (almost 5 years) without them, that when I started having a few.......I went totally wild. It was like I couldn't stuff enough in my mouth at one time. Then I would feel horrible. So I figure if I leave it all alone for awhile, I might be able to control myself when it comes time to add back in the fruits and grains. We will just have to see.......

Toni-- Hello gal......Every other year at our house it a big deal for Thanksgiving. This is one of our small years. Dh likes the leftovers too much for us to go out to eat. The first couple of years that we were married, we ate over at my folks, but when we got home I had to cook a turkey and stuffing for him anyway, so I just decided to do our dinners each year. My brother and his family alternate years with her family and us, so when it is our turn then we have a large crew. This year I think it will just be the two of us, my two sons, my Mom and my Grandma. That's okay with me though, I like the small group just as much as the large.

Well, that's it for me this morning. Need to get busy doing something..........
Old 11-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #32  
MJ

Question A Newbie Here!

Good afternoon all! I am new to the SB WOE and will be starting tomorrow. I have a relative who did SB a long time ago and she thought that I would like it. So here I am to give it a try.

I have a couple of questions (surprise, surprise!) as I go grocery shopping.

1) Is dried fruit with no added sugar legal?
2) Are baked dried veggie "chips" legal?
3) For whole wheat bread, if it is low carb as well as whole wheat can it be 2 slices for 1 starchy carb serving?
4) Are the plain old cheerios in the yellow box legal?
5) Are seasoned nuts legal (if the sugar grams are below 3)?

I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on, but I have been reading the board so as not to be extremely annoying and ask repetitive questions!

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

MJ
Old 11-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #33  
Addicted to potato salad!

MJ: I just finished watching Spiderman2!! Welcome to the boards...Monet is our fearless leader and I"m sure she'll pipe in on this one and correct me if I'm wrong...my answers to your questions are embedded in your quoted stuff below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ40
Good afternoon all! I am new to the SB WOE and will be starting tomorrow. I have a relative who did SB a long time ago and she thought that I would like it. So here I am to give it a try.

I have a couple of questions (surprise, surprise!) as I go grocery shopping.

1) Is dried fruit with no added sugar legal?

No. The GI goes through the roof when you dehydrate the fruit.

2) Are baked dried veggie "chips" legal?

I don't know what backed dried veggie chips are...BUT in the SB book, they have a recipe for baked sweet potato chips or something to that nature.

3) For whole wheat bread, if it is low carb as well as whole wheat can it be 2 slices for 1 starchy carb serving?

Hmmm...I guess I always use a sandwich made with sourdough or WW bread from the bakery as one starch...but I guess it would depend on where in the loaf it was sliced from (regarding the size). Bread has so many rules...but this is what I go by...like I stated in this paragraph, I get my bread from the bakery section of the grocery store. The stuff they make on-site. I look only at ingredients and never get anything that has the words 'white' or 'enriched' in it or anything that insinuates 'enriched'. Other than that, I'll leave this one up to the professionals

4) Are the plain old cheerios in the yellow box legal?

We've discussed this to some degree, and I think the consensus is that Cheerios are sketchy. In other words, a handful here and there won't be bad, but don't make a habit out of it.

5) Are seasoned nuts legal (if the sugar grams are below 3)?

Once again, you have to read the ingredients and look for anything that is illegal. Sugar, molasses, anything that ends in 'ose' and I'd watch the nuts as they usually come with salt and that adds water galore to the ankles!!

I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on, but I have been reading the board so as not to be extremely annoying and ask repetitive questions!

Thanks in advance for your help and support!

MJ

By ALL MEANS...ask as many questions as you like...there are NO SUCH THINGS as STUPID QUESTIONS!! And if they are redundant, then we'll just consider it reminders for those of us that already know the answers. So, DON"T BE SHY!! And most of all...

Old 11-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #34  
MJ

Smile Thanks a bunch!

Thanks for the answers Tech! I think this is going to be a fun board too! All of you are so friendly and supportive, and not just with the SB info.

Thanks again!

MJ
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #35  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GATOR....THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HAD IN QUITE SOME TIME!!!!

Sanders steps down, will finish season as QB coach
By DAVE HOOKER, [email protected]
October 31, 2005

Tennessee offensive coordinator Randy Sanders stepped down Monday after a third consecutive loss left the Vols in danger of their first losing season in 17 years.
Sanders, who considered resigning immediately, will stay on as quarterbacks coach for the remainder of the season. Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer said the staff would share play-calling duties for the remainder of the season.

Advertisement

A source within the UT football program said former UT offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe has been contacted to replace Sanders.

The Vols, ranked No. 3 in both preseason polls, are 3-4 overall and 2-4 in the SEC and unranked for the first time in three years. UT is ranked 99th in the nation in total offense and scored only 32 points in its last three games.

"I didn’t expect to be doing this," Sanders said, voice quivering, during a Monday afternoon press conference. "I’m going to miss this place, but the fact is there is a whole lot more to life than Tennessee football."

"The last few weeks have brought me to that realization."

Cutcliffe said he has not been offered a job by UT and is more concerned with Sanders, who is a close friend.

"My number one concern is for Randy the person," Cutcliffe said. "Randy is like a brother to me."

Cutcliffe was an assistant at UT from 1982-98 before leaving to accept the head-coaching position at Ole Miss. Cutcliffe was fired by Ole Miss after the 2004 season.

Cutcliffe joined Notre Dame as assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach, but underwent triple-bypass heart surgery on March 9 and resigned. He returned to Knoxville and has been doing work for various media outlets.

Sanders, 40, spent 22 years as a player and coach at UT. A former star quarterback at Morristown East High School, Sanders played at UT from 1984-88 but was never a starter. Sanders remained at UT in 1989 as a volunteer coach and gradually rose up the ranks.

When Cutcliffe left for Ole Miss, Sanders was named his replacement. Sanders’ first assignment was the Fiesta Bowl, playing a role in UT’s victory over Florida State for the national championship in 1998.

Fulmer said he was surprised by Sanders’ decision.

"Randy, in an unselfish gesture for what he feels is in the best interest of the team, has asked to step aside at the end of the season," Fulmer said.

"I’m sad that it has come to this but I also understand how volatile and demanding the world of college athletics is."

Sanders was seen in an emotional meeting with his family after UT’s loss to South Carolina 16-15 on Saturday. Sanders downplayed the significance of the public criticism as it relates to his family.

"It’s not a response to any criticism," he said. "It’s a response to what I see. I’m trying to be accountable for how we have played."

UT’s dismal offensive performance this season had made Sanders a frequent target for fan criticism. Sanders said he did not feel any pressure from the athletic department to resign.

"Coach Fulmer has been great about this," Sanders said. "It wasn’t something he approached me with. It wasn’t something that anybody else approached me with.

"I came to him with it."

Sanders said he would have actually benefited monetarily had he been fired and not resigned.

"I’m not trying to beat him to the punch," Sanders said, referring to Fulmer. "I’m not resigning to keep from getting fired."

Sanders said he didn’t know if he would have still resigned had the Vols won their two most recent games. UT fumbled three times inside their opponents’ 10-yard line against South Carolina and Alabama.

Fulmer did, however, address the question.

"If we made a few of those plays," Fulmer said, "we probably wouldn’t be having this press conference, in my opinion, but we didn’t and we are."

Sanders said he couldn’t ask his players to sacrifice their individual roles for the betterment of the team if he wasn’t willing to do the same.

"Things have gotten a little bit out of kilter this year," he said. "I don’t necessarily know that it’s all my fault but the fact is it’s my ship."

When asked if more coaching changes were possible, Fulmer would only say he was focused on the remainder of the season.

Cutcliffe has long said that he is more interested in a head coaching position than becoming an assistant. Those types of offers don’t regularly come until after the season.

UT will close practice this week as the Vols prepare No. 8 Notre Dame.

Sanders said he is focused on UT’s final four regular season games.

"I can promise you that even though I’m not going to be back doing it next year," Sanders said, "that’s not going to slow my effort and my desire to get this done."

Soon, Sanders may focus on two sports altogether different than football.

"I always said that one of these days I’m going to go fishing in the fall," he said. "I’m going to go play golf when the leaves are changing.

"Maybe it’s time. I don’t know."
Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick afternoon checkin.

Gonna get dinner in and then get a workout in too. It's about time.

This time change is really throwing me for a loop. I went to bed at 9:00 last night which is way early for me.

Teensy, The ole water wt really gets you motivated doesn't it. Now St. Paddy's Day is a holiday I can get into. All that green beer and being Irish myself.

Toni, every year we threaten to go to a restaurant. We never have done it yet. There is just too many of us. Grandkids are made to spoil. Just feed them all the sweets and there will be none for you.

MJ40, I buy the bread that is 100% ww and is 45 calories a slice. That way you get 2 pieces for 1 starchy carb. Plus I don't like a lot of bread. I think 80 calories is the rule for a starchy carb. Cheerios are whole wheat but high on the glycemic list, so Monet says not a good thing to eat. I like the South Beach crunch cereal. Welcome. This is a great board.

Tech, stay away from teh tootsie rolls. They are one of my fav's too.

Have a great evening.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #37  

Hey everyone. It was not a great afternoon at school. One of the teacher's brother was murdered last night and the school is all very effected by the news. They still don't have all the details, as there is an investigation going on.

After school, I ran by the bank before I came home. I am going to teach Laura to fix a Japanese dish the family likes tonight, so I don't have a lot of time right now.

MJ40: Welcome to Sugarbusters! We are glad you joined us! I think SB is about the healthiest diet out there, and SO easy to follow! I imagine you will get lots of answers to your questions. Please feel free to ask away! The only dumb question is one you don't ask! It helps us all to focus when we have to think about answers for someone just starting out. Lets see, first, your question about dried fruit. Raisins are definitely no nos. I will occasionally eat a few dried apricots or prunes, but I keep in mind that one or two is a serving. They do have a higher glycemic index than the fresh fruit. Baked veggie chips...hmm, I would want to read the label very carefully. If you are talking about those baked veggies, like green beans, that are crunchy, you have to be careful. Often there is a lot of added dextrose, which is corn sugar, and doubly bad. Sweet potato chips are ok for an occasional treat, but you don't want to eat those kinds of things very often, as they are high in salt and carbs, and you can easily over do it before you know it. I use Nature's Own whole wheat bread, but there are others that are sliced thin, and smaller loaves, and two would be fine as one starchy carb serving. I honestly think everyone is better off cutting down radically on bread consumption..... make sure whatever you use is ONE HUNDRED per cent whole wheat... Plain old Cheerios are technically legal, as they are whole grain oats, and no sugar. They are unfortunately, highly processed and their GI is about 70 according to GI lists. Its probably not the best choice for cereal. There are others that are better...like shredded wheat, or 100% bran flakes. Just check the sugar content.
On the seasoned nuts, as Techwife said, check the ingredients. If there is nothing illegal in them and they are lower than 3 grams of sugar per serving, they are probably ok - in moderation! Nuts are high in fats, and SB tells you to watch your fat intake. Please feel free to ask any questions you have. We are here to help!

BOB: I tried to read the whole thing, but only skimmed the second half..

TONI: Good to see you! We need rain so bad...send it this way!

TEENSY: No, I don't think its gout, I think its an ingrown toenail. It gets worse when I wear shoes, since I am used to open toed birkenstocks.

Ok, off to change and get cooking!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM   #38  
Little Engine That Could

BoB--Yeppers, I thought you'd be happy when I saw that article in the USAToday this morning. I could hear you yelling from here! We have Vandy at home this week (will be going up for the weekend) and then the 'Cocks the following weekend at SC. That's the same weekend the mutts play Aubie between the hedges, at 3:30. I'm pulling for the away team both those games. Hope things will turn around for your guys. Again, I've felt that kind of disappointment you've had this year, but Gators always say, "Wait 'till next year, Gators."

MJ--Welcome to a great board. We're like a group of friends who try to chat every day with each other about SB stuff and other stuff too. We even put up with each others' idiosyncrasies, like BOB's and my addiction to SEC football.

I went over 10000 steps today, even though it is very gloomy and raining a steady drizzle. I worked out at a new place, in the basement of my DH's office bldg. It is 20 min. from our house, but cheaper. I am toying with the idea of going there one day a week and to the other place that is closer the second workout day of the week.

Well, my DH just called, so I'm off to make chili tonight for supper.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #39  
MJ

Smile You guys are awesome!

Thanks so much for all of the answers and support.

I think I will pass on the dried fruit. I have never really had it (other than raisins of course), so there is no need to start now. I just thought that if it was legal I might make some sort of trail mix.

I will look for other cereals. I like bran flakes so that should be good. I'll check the labels.

The nuts I will watch the ingredients. I just ordered some that just had jalapeno powder and seasonings. No corn flour like some others. I'll see how I do!

The veggie chips are from this site: www.yummydelights.com
They have a red onion chip that is just red onions, canola oil and salt. They are baked and have about 2.5g fat per serving. I have had other veggie chips like this from the farmers market before, but those had sweet potatoes and taro and pumpkin which are starchy. I also ordered some that were celery.

As you can see, I am a snack person! lol

Monet: Sorry about the teacher's brother, that is truly tragic.

Gator: I just moved to SEC territory (Baton Rouge). I am a Big Ten girl myself from Chicago (GO SOX!)

Solly: I will read labels carefully on the bread. Bread is not my weakness, so I won't stress about it too much!

Thanks so much you all!

MJ
Old 11-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #40  

MJ40: Where did you live in Chicago? I was born and raised in Oak Park...and still have family there, and in Berwyn. My family tends more towards the Cubs though.... I checked out that website with the snacks. Those veggie chips are probably just fine. Onions do have a higher sugar content, but I bet you can't eat a lot of them at once...it just seems like it would be overpowering. Let me know how you like them..I may have to try them. The celery ones too!
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #41  

Ok. I give up. I'm going to have to really go back fully leagal. I just can't stay away form sugar!!! I am having Travis take all of the cand to work with him tomorrow, and I'm going to read the SB book again.

I'm exhausted, so I'll write more later.

Monet- Sorry about the toe I had mini-surgery on ingrowns before. Not fun.

Gator and Bob- you guys are endless gun with the football

MJ- Welcome to the coolest group ever

I must sleep. to everyone else
Old 11-02-2005, 02:11 AM   #42  

Just a quickie before I hit the hay.......another legal day in. Am starting to realize that I can do this again!!

Welcome MJ-- You are getting in on one awesome group here......these gals are fabulous!!
Old 11-02-2005, 03:24 AM   #43  

GOOD EARLY MORNING TO ALL YOU BUDDYS!!!

Ya know when you've been in the bed long enough to make your back hurt?
That point hit me at 2:30a.m. so here I am up before the CHICKEN START CLUCKING!!!!

The Doc has me off until Monday, so luckily I don't have to get up in the a.m.!
THANKS GOODNESS FOR TBS...I just finished watching AIR AMERICA for about the billionth time...love that movie!

MJ..where have you moved...you've hit the best FOOTBALL REGION in all of the GREAT US of A!!!! The majority of us here are HUGE SEC FANS as you will see come Saturday! Great to have you with us...

GATOR...we've been hoping for this for a long time. RANDY is useless as he has proven this year! Just hope that CUTCLIFF accepts the job. I know that he would rather have a HEAD COACHES JOB, but who knows...maybe PHAT PHIL will be the next to go! You can bet I'll be tuned in to both of those games...(sorry MONET ) but after what the MUTTS did to us, I've got to go with THE HANDBAGS! ..I never in all my born days thought that I would be pulling for THE GATORS but in this case, I've got too! Of course, VANDY is the SLEEPER on the EAST SIDE and who knows...they could wipe us all out!

I'm off for now....talk to y'all a little earlier!

BOB
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 AM   #44  

Couldn't resist posting this....

New Rule: Don't eat anything that's served to you out a window unless you're a seagull. People are acting all shocked that a human finger was found in a bowl of Wendy's chili. Hey, it cost less than a dollar. What did you expect it would contain?? Luckily, it was only a finger! If it was a whole hand, Congress would have voted to keep it alive.

New Rule: Stop saying that teenage boys who have sex with their hot, blonde teachers are permanently damaged. I have a better description for these kids: lucky bastiges.

New Rule: Ladies, leave your eyebrows alone. Here's how much men care about your eyebrows: do you have two of them? Okay, we're done.

New Rule: There's no such thing as flavored water. There's a whole aisle of this crap at the supermarket, water, but without that watery taste. Sorry, but flavored water is called a soft drink. You want flavored water? Pour some scotch over ice and let it melt. That's your flavored water.

New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the asshat. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge asshat.

New Rule: Just because your tattoo has Chinese characters in it doesn't make you spiritual. It's right above the crack of your ***. And it translates to "beef with broccoli." The last time you did anything spiritual, you were praying to God you weren't pregnant. You're not spiritual. You're just high.

New Rule: Competitive eating isn't a sport. It's one of the seven deadly sins. ESPN recently televised the US Open of Competitive Eating, because watching those athletes at the poker table was just too damned exciting. What's next, competitive farting? Oh wait. They're already doing that. It's called "The Howard Stern Show."

New Rule: If you're going to insist on making movies based on crappy, old television shows, then you have to give everyone in the Cineplex a remote so we can see what's playing on the other screens. Let's remember the reason something was a television show in the first place is the idea wasn't good enough to be a movie.

New Rule, and this one is long overdue: No more bathroom attendants. After I zip up, some guy is offering me a towel and a mint like I just got lucky with George Michael. I can't even tell if he's supposed to be there, or just some freak with a fetish. I don't want to be on your web cam, dude. I just want to wash my hands.

New Rule: When I ask how old your toddler is, I don't need to know in months. "27 Months." "He's two," will do just fine. He's not a cheese. And I didn't really care in the first place.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #45  

Happy Wednesday !
Im killing time before work since I have to be in a hour later part of this week. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back on my normal schedule.
Ive still been crabby this week. My hormones havnt bothered me in months now so I dont know if thats it or what. Im tired and just tearied eyed for no reason at all. I hope it (whatever it is) passes soon cause I sure dont like it.
My ds is moving out ( again) next week into his own apartment. He has no furniture or dishes etc at all ( like he never thought this out to well) . Luckily my DM has alot of kitchen stuff to give him. Dh wants to sell him our couch and loveseat and get us something new. Sigh... I dont know if Im up to going to look at furniture. He is thinking of getting leather this time. Anyone have leather? I have no idea how it is. We have two dogs that sneak up on the couches now... will they damage leather?

Monet- I hope you are feeling better today .

Solly- I know, Id much rather spend my money on decorating for Christmas over Hallooween.

Tech- I am so glad I did not have any candy around. Not that I would of ate it but Dh would of. Last year I bought stuff we didnt like and he still ate what was left.

Colleen- I loved the protein power plan. I started that a year before I had started Atkins. Of course now I love the SB plan but I think over Atkins the PP has a more doable program.

Mj40- Welcome
I guess we are kinda neighbors...Ind here..

I tried the uncle sams Cereal today. Its pretty good. Lots of flax seeds !
Well off to work. Have a great day !

Last edited by Cindylcing; 11-02-2005 at 06:12 AM.
Closed Thread