Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #1  

Default Cheating Again. WHY?!?!

When I was on SoBe and Atkins and portion restricted programs like WW, I used to cheat all the time, telling myself: that's not enough food; just this once because I never have carbs anymore; I feel so crappy, I need these carbs; and so on. Well now I am on SB and am being allowed a HUGE variety of healthy foods, good carbs when I want them, sugar in the form of fructose, a generous portion size of whatever I eat. I feel great when I follow the program, and am losing s-l-o-w-l-y because I cheat EVERY weekend. While I am trying to figure this out and conquer the problem, can anyone else share why they cheat if they are happy with their program? Maybe it will give me some insight. Thanks to all -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #2  

I usually cheat because I'm an emotional eater and something has upset me. When I first started this I only cheated twice a month and I didn't think of it as cheating - I thought of it as a set "free day". For the last 2 months though I've had a hard time not cheating. Sometimes I eat wrong every other day. I've still managed to lose though so I guess it isn't the end of the world. But I know I can do better because I lost a lot more the first 3 months when I stuck with it consistently
chaoticfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #3  

Default Some Insight

I'm posting this small insight in case it will help anyone else. It has been an eye-opener for me.

I have realized one reason I cheat is because I was raised with the diet mentality. I was put on my first diet at age 8 by my mom, a lifelong dieter herself. Anyway, what I have realized is that in a way, learning to diet at such a young age has taken away my free will to say "No, thanks, I really don't care for that". When presented with a no-no food, I always jump on the opportunity even if I don't want the thing -like "grab it quick, it is never coming around again", because that is what I have been told. You can't have that, you shouldn't eat that, that is not on your diet, blah blah blah.... I eat forbidden foods not because I want them at that time, but because I have been trained to falsely believe that I can never have them again, ever. This is so clear to me now, even though it is old news. And although I have heard other people talk about this, I finally understand it on a gut level. And this is the revelation to me: that I can read these threads on many different forums, and listen to people on weight loss tv shows, and talk to my friends about stuff, but it will not make a difference if I understand these things in my head, it has to hit me in the heart and soul or the info is nearly useless. I finally get it on more than an intellectual level. I'm hoping now I can make progress.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #4  
Little Engine That Could

Hi Ruby,
I miss seeing you on the SB weekly support board, which you will find if you click on "weekly support board" under SB. There are a lot more posters there and I KNOW that they will find your question intersting and food for thought. Plus, you might get a good variety of responses. I too have problems with cheating, and sometimes it is almost a compulsion. I think it has something to do with feeling that I must stay in control, and that is one way I do it.
GatorGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #5  

Thanks, Gator - lately I've been posting under the 300+ forum, to get a "larger" perspective on the problems of obesity and management of same. I miss the ladies on SB weekly, I should stop in someday but I'm always swamped at work and with commuting and other stuff. It's hard keeping up with posts, and nearly impossible to be a good member and reply to everybody. Maybe I'll start lurking in order to stay motivated, until I can jump in and participate again.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM   #6  

I have to agree with Gatorgal on this, post on the weekly support.
I cheat because I can. If I don't make the cheating food, or have it in the house, then I don't eat it. I actually had some tootsie rolls the other day and almost felt sick to my stomach from the sugar! For some reason I can pass on the beer, wine and liquor, but food has me confused. I've definitely reached the point where food is nourishment, but sometimes it's comfort too, I haven't quite made it all the way over to only "nourishment". I've pretty much only been eating when I'm hungry, and drinking enough water has helped with that. But it's almost ime for my afternoon snack and my stomach is growling like crazy. I'm looking forward to the triscuits and cheese in a little bit! Now if the scale would just start moving again!
woodfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:09 AM   #7  

I too struggle with the food as nourishment vs. food as comfort, art, fun or reward. I love to cook and this has made me more liable to dwell on food, recipes, thinking about food...its hard to NOT overeat.... Come post on the weekly support board, Ruby...we miss you.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote