Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many cook books do you own?
None, believe it or not! 0 0%
less than 5 3 18.75%
5 or more but less than 10 0 0%
10 or more but less than 25 5 31.25%
25 or more but less than 50 2 12.50%
50 or more but less than 75 3 18.75%
75 or more but less than 100 0 0%
more than 100 1 6.25%
more than 200 1 6.25%
too darn many to count! 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2004, 11:26 AM   #46  

Hi

I've lost one more of the pounds I gained while away - just one more to go.

The baked beans with smoked sausage I made for dinner yesterday were scrumptious. I have some left over for lunch to-day. Just one comment on the recipe - they did taste a little sweet using 1/4 cup agave so next time I make them I will use a little less.

BOB - I am sure it would cost a fortune to send me some Smuckers but thanks for the thought.

Jack-K - Have you tried Allbran Cereal - this usually works for me. Also prunes and lentils. I use the small red lentils to make a heavy soup - I like the taste of them more than the brown/green ones also they are very quick cooking. They cook in about 10 minutes. If you can't get things moving with food you may need to take a stool softener for a while until things get back to normal. I'm thinking something like Colace which is available OTC. Good luck.

My menu for to-day:

B - 2 fried eggs, tomato and bacon and 2 slices home made ww bread with fruit spread. Tea with milk.

L - Left-over baked beans and smoked sausage. Coffee with cream. 1 cup strawberries.

D - Meat pie made with a mixture of ground beef and pork in a ww crust. Plan on making the crust with whole grain spelt flour to-day. Some kind of veggie. Haven't decided yet. Will probably snack sometime to-day on a nectarine and maybe an orange. This evening will be snacking on almonds as usual.

Have to get out to do some grocery shopping and get back to make an early dinner. Badminton this evening starts at 6. p.m. which sucks but I don't like to be late as it can get quite busy. So it means eating dinner about 5 p.m. a couple of times a week.

Marie.
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #47  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Good morning everyone.

I am having a really hard time getting off to a good start here, I do good during the day and then I just blow it. I am so black and white that when I eat one bite of something I should not have then I figure the whole day is ruined and "I will start over tomorrow." My motto from now on is "I will start over with the very next bite." Sugar is for me and very hard for me to resist. My husband is diabetic and I am enlisting the help of my dil (we temporarily have my son, dil, and two gd here) for cooking so we can just sneak the foods in on him.

Gotta go, I just had carpal tunnel release done a week and a half ago so hand is getting sore from typing. Talk to you later. I will post my foods tonight.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:43 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. Glad to see the board is up. I was OP yesterday other than eating a low carb bar that I hadn't planned on. I was pleseantly(sp?) surprised at the scale this morning. It's at 164, and this is after my ALL DAY binge Sunday. But I've been an angel since. Anyway, here's my menu today...

First I had 1/2 cantaloupe 45 minutes before eating 1 1/2 cups(2 servings) Special K low carb cereal made with 3 strawberries and CC 2% milk. I was craving fruit,lol. Haven't had any in days. I ate late, so I'll skip my morning snack. Lunch will be a hamburger patty(mustard and legal ketchup) and leftover beans and cabbage. I probably will have a spoon or 2 of PB and cup of milk for my afternoon snack. For supper, I'm cooking Spaghetti(no noodles for me) and salad. MONET- You know I have problems with fluid. I weighed myself Monday morning, after bingeing on fast food and junk Sunday, and I was swollen and at 169! Drank gobs of water and weighed again Tuesday(plus was very strict with my eating and exercised) and was at 166. Then drank gobs yesterday, exercised, stayed OP, and was at 164 today. Sooo, the point is that water is very beneficial and helps flush away "water" weight and toxins that build up in our systems.

Jack-k- I'm having the same problem with Boogie. Here are some things recommended by some of my "heart" friends. Miralax- it's suppossed to be a dissolvable powder you add to juice, etc on a daily basis, suppossed to work well. Then there is Senokot, which works but can cause cramping and the runs. Then of course, Fleet enemas, glycerine suppositories. Diet-prunes, apple and pear juice. And then there is this
Power Pudding
> > > 1 cup all bran
> > > 1 cup stewed prunes
> > > 1 cup prune juice
> > > 1 cup applesauce
> > > Combine in blender and serve in 1/3 cup portions(for toddlers)

Hope that helps.

Rosalie- you mentioned a meat pie, sounds interesting. Post the recipe, please(especially if it's got cheese,lol).

Well, that's it for me. Nothing to do here but clean, watch tv, computer etc..I'm SICK of all the rain we've been having. By the time my grass ever dries out and we're able to cut it, it's going to be hay. Alright, guys, have a good SBering day.
heartmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 PM   #49  

HeartMom

Here's the recipe for the meat pie.

1 double crust pastry.

3/4 lb ground beef
3/4 pound ground pork
1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, minced
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning - the original recipe called for savory but as I didn't have any I substitued the poultry seasoning.

Combine all ingredients together in pan. Cook over medium heat until meat has lost it's pink color but is still moist. Cool and place mixture into uncooked pie shell. Cover with top crust. Bake in hot oven (425F) until browned. The seasonings may sound weird for a savoury pie but it tastes good. Sorry there is no cheese in it but you could make a cheese sauce to go with some veggies like cauliflower and broccoli. It's a good replacement for gravy too. I don't have a recipe for the pastry - it's trial and error for me. . There is probably one on the recipe board though.

P.S. I forgot to mention that sometimes I add a couple packages of beef bouillon mix and 1-2 tbs ww flour if there seems to be too much liquid.

Last edited by Rosalie; 06-30-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Thought I would check back before I headed home.

Going to have steaks and salad tonight, maybe a sweete potato. DD called and has been sick (throwing up all night and day). I need to stay away from her for sure. Guess she got it from the kids she babysits every day.

Plan to get a longer walk in tonight.

Monet, hope the lab work is ok.

Filise, thanks for the recipe. Mexican is soo hard to do. We did it the other night and even though I could not taste the chips or the sauces, I did not refrain. Plus I had 3 margaritas. They felt good on my mouth.

Rosalie, Colace is my new best friend. I may just try the beans and sausage. Sounds good and something different. Do youeat it over rice.

Bunnaby, we all have that same thought process, sometimes, it is Monday before I start again. It is hard but you have to decide what you really want, food or to be thin. I was so determined with I started 3 years ago, that I would never think of cheating. I wanted to be thin so badly. After I lost 100 pounds it got easier to cheat and easier and easier. So it is better never to start cheating. I know, easier said then done.

Heart, the Sennakot does not work well, and does cause cramping. Supposatories don't work at all. I think I must just be really "full of it". I off to by prunes tonight. Thank goodness I like them.

Have a great evening.

Jackie
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #51  

Well dang I forgot to weigh today. And I'm sitting here wishing I could have a glass of wine. But that sure wouldn't help when I weigh tomorrow. I'll be glad to grocery shop Friday and get some vegetables. I just have nothing in the house for vegetables. L- ham and scrambled eggs, S- cherries, bran muffin D-Pasta and sauce... I know it looks pretty bad. Maybe tomorrow will be better. I'm really struggling with this.
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #52  

Good Morning!

I couldn't sleep, so I got up. Its not even light out yet! Amazing! I have not gotten up this early in two months! I slept kind of lightly last night, so I am willing to bet I will end up taking a nap sometime today!

I had cooking class last night. It was the last one. We were supposed to go to a wedding in Athens, but decided not to. The class was great, so I am glad I did not miss it. He taught us how to make sauces. I had NO idea alfredo sauce was so darn easy! Its my new best friend! He made one with baby portabella mushrooms that was to die for! Another sauce he made was with balsalmic vinegar and it was fabulous! I think I may try it tonight with pork. We all noshed on the sauces with white bread, and then had a pastry cream made with ww flour, but it had sugar in it. He taught us how to make it to go in a Trifle. It was delicious, and I am going to try making it with agave. He said he has and it works ok, just needs some adjustments to the amount of flour used.

Its going to be a busy day. I have to go over to the church office and do the worship guides today. Tonight, I have a meeting for a non profit initiative. It should be very interesting... Sometime today, I have to get some flea spray on the carpets and then vacuum. I have all these people coming over Saturday, I ought to make sure they don't get grossed out by fleas! I did re-dose the kitten last night. That should help.

I need to get off here, and find some breakfast. I am feeling rather ravenous!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:23 AM   #53  

Good morning everyone,
I forgot to weigh this morning, must be a mental block....
I won't be here this week, we're getting ready for vacation on Sat and my MOM is in town and it's just nuts! I have been getting to the gym tho...
So, DH and I are off for 2 weeks, and I hope to report back that the food was wonderful and that we were so busy, that I lost weight
Have a great couple of weeks everyone!

Barbara
woodfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #54  

Good morning everyone. Gee I can't believe I'm up so early. And remembered to weigh. I lost 2 lbs. and am so pleased. Will be happier next week when I hold that or could it be I might lose more!! Its raining here and rained through the night. Boy did we need it. My tomatoes were saying water me. I started out eating a bran muffin for breakfast and will probably have a yogurt shortley. Don't know about the rest of the day.

Woodfrogs- Have a great vacation

Monet- Your cooking class sounds so yummy. I wish they would have something like that near here.

Well I'll check back in later.....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #55  
Goddess

Default Good Thursday Morning!

Morning all!

Miss belle is snuggled in my arms so typing one handed.

I'm also listening in on a conference call about the convention.

Yesterday was great eating wise! all op and portions were good.

so far so good today.

Monet--good luck with those fleas! Those sauces sound wonderful.

oops--got to pay attention to this call!

Susan
Fillise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:54 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies,

Boy has it been a crazy day. Haven't had a minute for myself. Did get our walk in last night. Did not get to extend it as we had planned as we did not start out until 9:30. So it was only about 30 minute walk. We had to run to the grocery after dinner so it threw us late. Maybe tonight we will go farther.

Toni, hang in there. Maybe after you get to the grocery and get some goodies in the house it wil be easier.

Monet, glad yoru cooking class was so educational. Can you share that mushroom sauce recipe?

Wood, have a great vacation. Congrats on the 2 lb loss.

Fillise, WTG on being OP!

Got to run, Have a great day and evening.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #57  
sef

HiedieHo Everyone!

Thank goodness I have been so busy, but I do get pooped!!!

Wednesday (was that only yesterday?) I had PT, then rushed from there to get to a PW get together. One of our members who had to miss a lot of Bible Study meetings because of school courses invited us to luch at her home. We really had a lovely afternoon. The only thing legal was the unsweetened ice tea. So I did indulge but not too much.

Today I went to NH as usual. This afternoon I went back to the same one with the Joyful Noise to entertain. It was the first for our new program and was a little rough. But as always fun and we bring the audience into our goofs. The piano player and her husband, the tombonist, were late so I led a little sing-s-long, which was fun.

One of the things I did this morning was have the residents make little words out of Independence Day. Really makes them think. One lady would think and think and then give a word with L or T, after a bit she started correcting herself. Which is good. I like to do that game every now and then as it is one all the levels I have can do. One lady in particular is a little fuzzy (a very professional term) on things, but she comes up with some gems during our activities. She's terrific at answering Dear Abby questions. No wonder I enjoy myself! So rewarding!

TONI: It all comes down to making the right choices and it is not always as easy as it seems is it? I hear thunder in the distance so don't know how long I will be on board.

COUNTRY: Yep! You get the rain then it comes to us! It's a wonder we haven't floated away! Walki on the lawn is a squishing experience. To me one shot less a day is a step in the right direction. Prayers for your sister.

JACKK: I seldom get constipated, I have the opposite problem witht the pancreas. But when it does happen, either a few extra prunes works or for me, good old Exlax. Usually I just need the prunes and they're natural. My stepmother swears by bananas. Will keep you in my prayers with a little extra on the 8th.

BUNNA: I have the same problem,,,,,,I blew it so might as well eat this or that.... I am trying the want/need theory........do I NEED this or JUST want it?........am I truly hungry or just think I am. If I stop to think it seems to work. The thing is to stop and THINK!

ROSALIE: Sounds like a recipe for pasties. In OZ you could buy them just like you buy ready made sandwiches at our supermarkets.

MONET: Years ago we never noticed any fleas and we had a Collie and a cat. We went on vacation for 2 weeks and the house was infested! You couldn't walk without having your socks covered with black specks. So certainly could not have the kids crawling around. It was a long time ago, so don't remember the name, but we had to get something from the vet. Good luck!

WOOD: Have a wonderful time!

Hope I did not miss anyone. Storm is getting closer so will end.

May good things happen

Shirley
sef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #58  

Evening everyone! I just got in from the meeting. Very interesting... We had two architects, a lawyer, an urban planner, a young lady from my arts team who wants to start an arts ministry outreach, and me. They have funding, and a solid idea. It would end up being an urban renewal project. I really liked the group. I am looking forward to the next meeting.

Eating today was only so so. I went to IHOP with my daughter for brunch after working out at Curves. I ate the hash browns, and my pancakes were not whole grain. They had fruit on them instead of syrup...but it was bananas! ACK! I have to admit I was barely hungry at dinner, but I ate some sauteed scallops with onions.

No one is home, and I have no idea where they all are! Guess I will take advantage of the quiet and read for a while!

Good night! Sweet dreams!

Old 07-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #59  

Boy, we are pathetic. No posts since last night! I just got up, and its after 9 here! Tom is off today for summer flex time, so we are probably going to do some stuff around here. He got wood for the deck and I really need to do some cleaning. I am supposed to take my 'adopted' daughter for lunch today, since yesterday was her birthday.

I am going to go get some coffee and something to eat. I hope everyone has a great OP day!

Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 AM   #60  
Goddess

Cool Good Friday Morning!

It looks like the board is going into holiday mode already! I hope everyone has a great 4th celebration.

Let's all make a pact to do the best we can with our celebrations! There will be cookouts and temptations, but let's do the best we can! Notice we are aiming for our best--not perfection (ahem, Heartmom--this means YOU!). So if we choose one thing that isn't OP (Like a bun for the hamburger, or a beer), let's pledge together not to take that as a liscense to eat anything and everything! Who's on board?????? I'll take the pledge!

Another dreary day here as the clouds and rain continue to be the dominate weather pattern. Ick--ready for some sunshine!

OP yesterday--so I'm doing good for the week. Also working on upping the water intake--so far so good there.

Jackie--Glad you got that walk in! Better 30 min than nothing at all. I echo Shirley on the prunes. When I was spayed last December one of the side effects waa major constipation. I ate some dried prunes everyday and upped my water intake. That seemed to help, er, move things along!

SEF--I love to heat the stories of your NH patients! What great games. They are sure lucky to have you.

Monet---Tsk, tsk Tsk. Do I need to come up there and give you a swift kick in the you-know-where?????? Especially since you can get whole grain pancakes and Sf syrup at IHOP. If I know I'm going I like to take a bottle of agave with me since I think it tastes better than the sf syrup!

Have a great holiday everyone!

Susan
Fillise is offline   Reply With Quote