Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 10:38 AM   #16  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Up late, at least for me, thought I'd get in a post before I try to get some sleep.

FROG, you definitely had me laughing! Just the image of the dog running away from you every time you make your noises had me laughing, but the jumping in the tub - I wish you'd of taken a picture and posted it!!!

RSIMON, still ribbing me about the clothes, I see you are definitely back to your old self!!! Nah, I think I'll be buried in these things. My shirts are sooo big on me now they look like maternity tops! BUT, the pants, being elastic waste, still aren't big on me, so wear them til they have holes in them, I say!!!

RHROO, glad to have you back on the board, we missed you! Before you try steroids, do try everything else first. I remember when Eli had a fungus on his fingernail, Dr. wanted him to take this medication that costs hundreds, isn't covered by insurance, no guarantees it would work, and could cause liver damage. I read everything I could about it, tried 3 different things, and we got rid of it!!! See what alternative methods you can find to use if the cream doesn't do the trick.

Well, that's it - gonna go hit the hay and hopefully be able to fall asleep!

Check in with you all tomorrow!!

Debbie
194/149.5/129

Old 11-28-2000, 05:25 PM   #17  

Good morning!!

Been up since about 2:30 (ughh...) - my project is putting out a software release on Dec 7 and we are in crunch mode - right now - I know, I know - I have to leave my work at work - and I WILL work on that.

Deb - I enjoy ribbing you on the black stuff - actually - I LOVE black too.. most of my pants are black. So - who's calling the kettle black!! -

For a Tuesday Tip - for those of you who work - I bought a "BIG" lunch bag, pack it with a large Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, onion, avocado,fat free cheese,low fat ham, an ice thingy and a bottle of low fat dressing - take a big bowl to work with me, and then cut it up for lunch. Everyone in the office is insanely jealous - is really satisfying and doesn't tire me out all afternoon.

Have a great Tuesday..

Ricki
???/???

Old 11-28-2000, 05:26 PM   #18  

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone!

Finally got to sleep around 1am, up at 5:15 - UGH! So with that, the only thing that happened between my posts, there really isn't much to say

Today is TUESDAY TIPS and here's my contribution:

Based on more than 20 years of working with overweight clients, John Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Clinic at Houston's Baylor College of Medicine, offers the following recommendations for successful weight management:

Regular physical activity. Exercise not only increases caloric expenditure, it increases feelings of well-being and perceived energy level. Studies also suggest exercise can be effective in regulating appetite. However, the challenge is to incorporate exercise into other life-long habits.

Social support. Long-term weight regulation is easier when individuals are supported in their goals by family, friends, colleagues treatment support groups - AND boards like ours (thought I'd throw that in).

Internal motivation. Those who demonstrate internal motivation such as "I'm doing this to be in charge of my life," are more successful in weight management than those who focus on external reasons like "fitting into a new pair of jeans."

Positive health benefits. Focusing on positive health benefits such as an ability to walk further without being winded, increases the chances of successful long-term weight management.

Smaller, more frequent meals. Eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day helps maintain blood sugar levels and avoids feelings of starvation, which can lead to bingeing.

Gradual changes. Those who make gradual changes in diet and exercise are more likely to successfully manage their weight in the long run, than those who make dramatic changes at once.

Out with Eli today, will check in later!!!!

Have a wonderful day and remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!

Debbie
194/149.5/129

[This message has been edited by Debelli (edited 11-28-2000).]
Old 11-28-2000, 07:28 PM   #19  
***ORANGE CHICK***

Good Morning everyone!!

Back for another "thrilling" day at work!

DEB...My Uncle was a State Trooper in the area, aske your aunt if she knows Robert or Irene Miller that live on Balsom Road.
Wouldn't that be a hoot if she does?

I'll address everyone later when I get home.
Everyone have a wonderful day...
Old 11-28-2000, 08:23 PM   #20  

Hello!

When you've fallen off the wagon or feel like you're not losing fast enough, examine your eating and then... Write down five positive things about yourself and focus on the positive. Maybe you're a great mom, a dedicated employee, a safe driver, a friendly neighbor, a snappy dresser, or you were successful last week and will be again. Whatever you don't get booged down in your misery; it really isn't becoming and your friends don't want to hear about it now do they? So "accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, hold on to the affirmative and don't mess with mister in between."

(I have to admit that I am not good at tips yet, but I'll keep working on it.)

Deb - I like black clothes too! White shirts, shoes, khakis, overalls and black are all a fetish for me! Glad you enjoyed hearing about my dog. I'll have to post a pic of her sometime.

Rsimon - My dog's name is Dixie. She's soooo sensative. If my husband and I raise our voices (even when having an enthusiastic, not angry discussion) she will get under the table. I don't know what it is with her.

Christian - I have an untested (by me) cake recipe that you may want to try. Do you have the cookbook Sugar Busting for Life? They have some cake recipes that sound pretty good. I am planning to cook one this week. Let me know if you want the recipe or want to know more about the cookbook.

Rhroo - I know right where you are coming from with that whole "Mom thang!" Maybe when we get to be our Mom's age we will also have a difficult time changing our thinkging/mind set. I don't know if you saw my post from last week about my Mom, but it was similar to yours. Someone on this board gave me wonderful advice: "just lead by example" and to that I add, cook them wonderful food that is SB legal and let them see how easy this diet is. Remember: "Denial ain't just a river in Egypyt!" Hang in there!

BigOrangeBabe (BOB) - look forward to seeing your post this afternoon. Give Skeeter my best.

Later Ya'll!

Renee
Old 11-29-2000, 04:16 AM   #21  

Hi Everyone

I've had my first migraine in probably 8 months. It started yesterday morning and went through the night into today. I think maybe even though I did not eat too much or off track over the holidays that something I did may have triggered it. Needless to say I have no energy and am drained.

My tip for Tuesday is about the Green Tea and metabolism. I drink the green tea with just a touch of sweetner in it. I use equal but I am talking not even 1/4 of a packet. I really don't like to use aspartame but since I use such a small amount it doesn't affect me like it use to. The other tip is I buy the green tea that has lemon and ginseng added. That makes it taste better.

Rosalie other tips for boosting your metabolism includes weight lifting. I have read article after article that says aerobics is good for your cardio health and to burn calories but strength training increases your metabolism. That is because muscle uses more energy than fat. Weight lifting is so easy and really doesn't hurt. You might want to look for a tape that is for beginners. I use 3-8 pound weights depending on what I am doing. I would start with the 3 and over several weeks build up to the 5...I don't use leg weights but use my body's weight to build those muscles...most of the tapes out show you how to do that.

After I started the green tea and the weight lifting I have had very few plateaus...or even fluctuations in weight.

Well I have to run...still not feeling too great...

222/147/140
Old 11-29-2000, 09:07 AM   #22  

Evening Gals! Where is everyone today?? :confused: Slow day on the board I see. Ready to go to bed, but wanted to get in a quick post.

RSIMON, we were posting at the same time today - both of us up at ridiculous hours, though you're worse than me! How are you feeling now that you are back on track?? Good luck with WIW tomorrow!

BIGORANGE, I doubt my Aunt knows much of anyone, they just moved there about a year ago from Rochester, NY, and my grandparents are only there for a few months during the summer. Personally, I love that area, and if it weren't for high taxes, would probably live there.

FROG, good tips - wish I put them to heart - like you, I need to work on things as well. At least you vary your colors a bit beyond black, if it wasn't for my blue jean shirts, the only other color you'd ever see on me are my white socks!!

BEACH, hope your migraine is better!! Keep talking about that green tea, it's working, I drank a cup yesterday!! THOUGH, any idea if decaf green tea has the same properties as decaffinated???

Well gals, beauty rest calls - will check in wtih you tomorrow. Please remember TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!!!! Good luck to you all!!

Debbie
194/150/129

Old 11-29-2000, 04:31 PM   #23  

Not sure what is going on with my sleep - I woke up at midnight and haven't been back to sleep since. Decided to work at home today since I don't trust myself behind a wheel.

Other than that - I feel great - energy level has been so much better since I'm back 100% on SB!!

Okay - I will get my nerve up, and go weigh myself (lots of fear and trepidation, sweaty palms....)

Not too bad - I am at 125 - I think the lowest I was down before was about 122. And I just ate breakfast - so that may account for some of it?

Whew - now that that is over, maybe I'll get some sleep??

Good luck to everyone else today..

Ricki
128/125/115

Old 11-29-2000, 07:43 PM   #24  

Hi Everyone

My migraine is better but I haven't excercised in 2 days because of it and I really feel yucky! I have to travel for work today and I don't know when I will fit in excercise but hopefully tonight I can do some aerobics.

Weighed today and I didn't drop any...147 is where I am.

Ricki: Hope you can get some sleep today. You'll quickly lose those 3 pounds and be right back on track.

Deb: I agree the board was slow yesterday! I don't think the decaf has the same properties as the caffeine...I drink mine in the morning so the caffeine doesn't affect my sleep.

See ya'll later.

222/147/140
Old 11-29-2000, 08:05 PM   #25  

Good Wednesday Morning Everyone!

I'm pooped, didn't walk, gonna try to go back to sleep for a bit.

TODAY IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!! and even though I'm up a 1/2lb, I had a loss of 1lb for the week. This week will be tough, TOM is about here, and I always have a gain and stall, which should occur over the next week. Soo, if you hear me moaning and groaning about gains, just remind me that it's temporary.

RSIMON, glad to know you didn't have more of a gain during your hiatus! Now that you are back on track, I'm sure you'll be on your losing streak again. Hope you get some sleep, I know how I feel and you must be worse!!!

BEACH, they way I'm feeling today, I'll be happy to drink the caffinated green tea! I need it! Hey, you did lose for the week! Last week you were 148, so you had a 1lb loss!!! I think other than the weekends, yesterday was one of the slowest days on the board. Hopefully, it won't get worse as we get closer to the holidays - I don't know if people realize how important it is to get on this board during these times - it definintely helps to get on the board and keep in mind what you should be focusing on instead of the holiday goodies. This is the time of year that people really fall off the WOE bandwagons! Got any ideas??

Well, I'll check in later and see what the board is up to. Hope everyone has a good day!

Debbie
194/150/129
Old 11-29-2000, 10:01 PM   #26  

Time for a little WEIGH-IN-WEDNESDAY RAP

"It's Weigh-In-Wednesday, time to get on the scale,
Gain or lose, you'll be able to tell,
Eat right and be smart without cheating,
And your gonna lose wieght with this way of eating!"
Peace Out!

Okay, a little mid-week humor for you all. Honestly, I'm not 12, just like to act that way sometime.

I am thrilled with this WOE. I have excellent news to report...

My weight this a.m. is 183.5! (I am only using the #s I get on my home scales so as not to mix 'em up with the doc's.) The 190 lbs. that I am reporting as my start weight was taken on Sunday, 11/19/00, after approx. 3 full weeks with SB! Who knows what it would've been then? Therefore, I've lost 6.5 lbs in 10 days! (2 pounds lost over the week of Thanksgiving!! Now who's a turkey? Not me!) WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

190/183.5/130

Big Ol' Happy Smilin' FROG

[This message has been edited by Frog Lover (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Frog Lover (edited 11-29-2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 11:21 PM   #27  

Hi Everyone:

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone and tell you all to keep up the great work. I didn't weigh last night at TOPS because I was still sick in bed. I am at work today - thank God I only work 5 hours/day - I don't think that I could handle much more today!

I will only have a weigh in next week when I am back to full form and get to my TOPS meeting. I am back on track 100% and feel so much better for it. Now, if I could only taste/smell what I am eating, it would make it so much more enjoyable! Oh well!

Have a great day everyone! I will check in again tomorrow!

Georgina
309.5/284.5/175
Old 11-30-2000, 12:54 AM   #28  

Hi everyone

This is just a quick one. Have to get ready for work soon. Well, the weight is just the same. I am stuck at 210lbs. The good news is I just bought a pair of pants in a smaller size and they fit. Hooray! Soon hopefully I won't have to shop in the "big girls" section.

Beach, glad your migraine is better. They can be very draining. I'm taking your advice and going to try some weights. My son thinks his mother is going nuts in her old age. I've ordered the Kathy Smith tape "Lift Weights to Lose Weight". Should have it soon.

That's all I have time for now. Have to run. Will check in later.

Marie.

Old 11-30-2000, 01:27 AM   #29  

The bad news: 168/167/125 6/24/00
The good news: Found some very comfy jeans by Gloria Vanderbilt on sale!
Old 11-30-2000, 02:14 AM   #30  

Hey ya! Poking my head in to say hey! (I try not to spend more much time at the 'puter than I let my 4yo spend in from the TV)

I weighed in at the Doc's yesterday. I'm at 220. That's a gain of two pounds, but I think I was up two pounds last week, and this may be the same.... So maybe I'm holding steady.

I know I've lost inches. My size 22 jeans are getting looser and there's lots of leg and butt room. I even feel smaller at aerobics. I don't have to stretch out my shirts anymore.

At the doc's yesterday for the 9mo's check-up. He may have lazy eye. *sigh* Or something that (I hope my research is wrong) may require surgery. If it's a weak eye then an eyepatch. But what happens is that one of his eyes drifts or looks crossed. Other than that, he's great.

I've convinced Joe that white bread is out. Finally. But that means I have to be more assertive when he walks up to the shopping cart with it. We're going veggie shopping to day. I find I do much better when I have lots of good veggies around. I can also plan my meals better if I know what we're doing for dinner. That's the meal we all eat together.

Man, there's so much to respond to - where to start.

Rosalie - congratulations on the smaller size clothes. I dreamed last night that I was wearing a little black, backless dress and I look ed down at my legs and they were amazing lookin! The upper part still needed work, but I had those legs that rockers sing about!

I hope everyone, including me, can shake their winter miseries soon. I've got an ear infection.

It's raining here in the Pacific NW. Winter. We've put up our decorations and now I've got to organize the gifts we'll be taking/sending to Texas.

Joey and I baked some cookies yesterday. In the sugared world, they would have been sugar cookie, but in the SB Universe, they were fructose and SGWW cookies. They worked. But it took some extra egg and butter. Now that I think of it, maybe I should have used milk. Oh well, we got a chance to use many of the 47 cookie cutters I have amassed. The cookies are good. I just keep them out of sight, so I don't consume them all in one sitting. And no, we are not going to frost them.

Baby's awake. Gotta go.

Take care.
Closed Thread