Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 02-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #1  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Default NSV? Moment of Madness?

Let me first start this sordid little tale by saying my husband is very supportive of my weight loss. Let me also say I have nothing against Starbucks and if you want to eat/drink it that's just fine with me, I'm choosing to avoid it. I'm a recovering latte/blueberry muffin addict.

Ok.

This afternoon I'm doing my paperwork when the door opens and in walks hubbie, what a nice surprise. Only, he's holding a large Starbucks coffee and two bags of cake. He tells me he was thinking of me on his way back to the office from a meeting and decided he would buy me coffee. He's trying to make my afternoon better and that means a lot to me. So he hands me the cakes (both pieces, for me to decide which one to eat) and the coffee and leaves.

I'm a calorie counter and I've been eating very clean as part of my new plan, avoiding Starbucks was part of it. I had my cals for the day all worked out, coming in at just under a nice tight 1400 including dinner, I'm feeling pretty good about myself. So I'm stood there in my office holding two fistfuls of potentially very dangerous ammunition. I'm thinking, he thinks he's treating me but he knows I am trying to avoid starbucks so why is he buying me cake and full fat latte?!

I'm not going to even go near why men sometimes do these things, I'm going to keep telling myself he thought he was treating me. I love my husband. Yes, yes I do.

Ok so now this is where it gets interesting.

I go back to my desk and place the incendiary devices on the table. I can smell the pumpkin and the cinnamon. A small battle takes place in my head. Finally, a victor emerges. I take one bite of the cinnamon cake, one slurp of the coffee then throw the cake in the bin and the coffee down the drain.

I gave in but just a little! I didn't eat the whole cake, or drink the entire coffee. I can now go home tonight and eat my dinner and have some low fat dessert maybe, because by golly I deserve it.

So, NSV or moment of madness? I think it's a NSV, any other time both pieces of cake would have been devoured with not a moments notice. I'm happy with myself, for once my willpower won. Oh and I lost 1lb 4 ounces this week, I'd rather let Saddam Hussein redecorate my house than sabotage that small victory!
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #2  

NSV!!!!!!!

You go, girlfriend!!!
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

No two ways about it, NSV for the win!

Hehe, dangerous ammunition, incendiary devices... you just crack me up, Lynne
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynneA
I'd rather let Saddam Hussein redecorate my house than sabotage that small victory![/I]

That is a fantastic NSV and a truly memorable image!
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

You did better than me! My husband (knowing I'm losing weight) decides to be traditional about valentines and buys me a full bag of hugs chocolates (my favorite). Unfortunatley the first thing out of my mouth was "why would you buy me that"...lol. I then had to do something to make the man feel better because he started getting all defensive. I didn't do bad though. I ate ONE serving per night until the bag was gone. In the past I would have literally eaten the bag in one MAYBE two nights.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM   #6  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Quote:
Oh and I lost 1lb 4 ounces this week, I'd rather let Saddam Hussein redecorate my house than sabotage that small victory!
That was such a random, awesome way to word that!! lol!! Congrats, btw!
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:20 PM   #7  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

That's great that you held out, but may I ask what is NSV?
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodj0080
That's great that you held out, but may I ask what is NSV?

Non Scale Victory
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I think it was great you allowed yourself to have a little bite and a small sip, and be able to keep it just at that! Fantastic!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:57 AM   #10  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Great Job!!! Definitely a NSV!
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Definitely an NSV!!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:30 AM   #12  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Well done Lynne!!! Don't you just love that feeling of 'power' over food you get when you do something like that. I frequently go to the shops and feel as though I would LOVE to have a muffin, or some cake, but once I decide that I don't "need" it, I get such a great feeling. I am SURE it is a much better feeling than I would have if I indulged.

Great work on the loss too. Oh... and I LOVE the Saddam comment. That one will stick with me for a while.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #13  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Thanks guys! I still feel pretty good about it this morning and glad that my little tale got a few laughs .

My husband tries, he really does. On Valentine's Day he usually gets me a big box of godiva chocolates but this year he sent me flowers to my office because "he knows I am trying to lose weight". Then the next day, he tries to give me a box of girl scout cookies!!! . I actually told him I couldn't take the cookies and he looked so hurt!

I didn't tell him I had binned the cake and coffee. It was a white lie! It needed to be done!
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote