South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:07 AM   #1  

Default Exercise

Well, let me start by saying I have had some MAJOR issues (psychological) with exercise in the past. But I think I have started to change my thinking regarding it from... You don't HATE it, Kris, you don't HATE it... you really, really don't! To: Hmm, I think I might even like this a *little*. So that's an improvement!

I've been slowly getting into using my Gazelle (which I bought myself as a birthday present.) When I first started, I could only do 5 minutes without pushing myself too hard. I was super careful not to overdo it because I am definitely one of those people that used to think, "Oh heck, it's so hard to get myself motivated to do it, I should just keep going..." and then, as I am sure you can guess, I'd either hurt myself or be extremely reluctant to do it again the next time. (Well, no kidding!)

So, I promised myself this time around I would start slowly and build up slowly, adding one minute each session. At first, I only did five minutes a few times a week. I want to tell you, it worked! This week, I am up to 15 minutes and I actually feel like I am doing some good.

I am even motivated to go to the new Curves that opened in my town and try them out. It seems like a pretty gentle way to get into some strength training and that is what I am looking for since I've been relatively sedentary for so many years now.

Have any of you tried Curves? And if you did, what did you like or not like about it?

Last edited by Kryss; 09-30-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:51 AM   #2  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey congrats on your exercising! I have not tried curves yet. I cannot do any exercise right now due to some injuries I'm under a doc's care for. I know alot of the chicks have and do go so I'm sure they will let you know. I do have several friends that go and love it!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Congratulations, Kryss! That's fantastic!!

No, I haven't tried Curves. I belong to the Y. But like Bamie, I've know a few people who've tried Curves, and they really liked it.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:07 AM   #4  

That is so great that you are coming to enjoy exercise. I've really gotten where I miss it if I'm not able to go. I've never been to Curves but I know people who have and really enjoy it. I had an old Bally's membership that I reactivated and I've been using it for the elliptical, stationary bike, weight machines and occasionally swimming. Slowly increasing your exercise is the safe way to go when you haven't been exercising.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #5  
I found my hipbones!

Well, this may be starting to sound like a broken record, but I haven't been to Curves, but a good friend of mine has. For the most part, she enjoyed it, but her problem was the operating hours. I think the last session at Curves here began at 7:00, and the facility would not let anyone else in after that. So there were a few times that she raced there after her evening class, showing up maybe 2 minutes late, and she wasn't allowed in. It kinda ticked her off since she was paying a monthly fee for it.

I'm not sure if this is a policy that is shared by all Curves facilities, but I know it was the deciding factor for my friend deciding to move her membership to the Gold's gym across town that is open 24 hours. Just something you might want to check into before you sign up.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:31 AM   #6  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

I belong to Curves, and it's OK. I find it pretty boring and repetitive. Before I moved here I went to Jazzersice which I LOVED, it was so fun and upbeat -- to be honest, Curves is kind of a yawner (we don't have Jazzercise here). BUT, that said, it's better (IMO) than just going to the gym, which I will never do. And so, I need to get back to Curves, because it really does work and that's what matters, right?

Congrats with the exercise and good luck!!

Lauren
Old 09-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #7  
Peanut's Mom

Congrats on the exercise Kryss! Keep it up!

I belonged to Curves shortly after DD's birth. I really liked it at the time...you work at your own level, it's well structured, it's 30 minutes every time, and it combines cardio and strength training, which I feel is more efffective than either alone. They help you track your weight and measure your BMI. And they offer lots of support. It's also a good place to meet other women with similar health goals without the atmosphere of a meat market that some gyms have.

On the down side, it does get repetative and I believe they still require a yearly committment. To spice things up, my Curves had entertaining programs like Backwards Wednesdays, where you do the circuit in the opposite direction. They also get new equipment in every so often. The reason that I stopped going was that after several months, it didn't challenge me anymore. So I started using the gym at my work, which was cheaper, too. As far as the hours of operation go, since it is a franchise, each facility is operated independently and the hours are set by the facility owners. If memory serves, the Curves to which I belonged was open from 6:30am to 10am and from 2pm to 8pm most days, which suited me fine. I think they've actually hired more part-time staff to extend the hours. Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #8  

I know a few people that go to curves and none of them have lost any weight or look any different. One of them is my sister. Not sure what the deal is.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:52 AM   #9  

Thanks all for your comments! Like most of you, I know people (relatives and acquaintances) who have gone. Some swear by it and others are kind of indifferent about it, but no one seems to hate it.

Fuzzy, that's a good point too. I have checked the hours at the one here in my town and I was a little concerned about being able to get there as well. They are only open till 8 PM twice a week, twice a week till 7 and only till 6 on Fridays. Since I go to Grad school a few nights a week, that might make it hard for me, unless I can fit it in in the mornings <yawn> Hee hee.

Laurie, as far as a yearly commitment, hmmm... I will be sure to ask about that. I know at some franchises they offer a monthly fee without the commitment, but I think it's $10 more a month, which I would rather do than the year contract thing, though I don't know if the franchise in my town does this. This could be a deciding factor for me, as I was thinking I'd use Curves as a starting point and maybe move on to something different if it became too repetitive or not challenging enough for me. I know the one thing that help keeps me exercising is changing things up now and then. Maybe I will check out my Y as well and see what they offer. I wish I could afford a personal trainer. :P <hums the Rocky theme song>
Old 09-30-2004, 12:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

I belonged to a Curves-like place. It was the same thing but had adjustable resistance on all the machines. It was OK but it got so crowded that anytime I wanted to try to change it up a bit, I couldn't because somebody was always waiting on the station I was at. Also, I like to do my workouts with full concentration and everyone in there was really "chatty". I don't mind talking to people but I figured that I was there for a reason and wanted to focus on executing all the movements correctly. Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:56 PM   #11  

I belong to the Y right now.. is curves like that though? I love the eliptical and that's the only thing that would stop me from trying it.. if they didn't have it..
Old 09-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #12  
Conquering with SBD

Of anyone here, I really, really know what you mean about exercise. Personally, I HATE, HATE, HATE exercising. However, I decided that I would start with a 30 minute power walking workout last June. I didn't go everyday, because I was recovering from some surgery, but managed to make it to the track a few times in June and more regularly in July. By August, I thought I needed more, so kicked the workout up to an hour. By the end of the hour, I was truly huffing and puffing. I also made up my mind that I would go every lunch hour at work, barring working lunches that I was required to attend. To that commitment, I have remained true.

Having said that, though, I have noticed the past week that the workout is easier, and almost enjoyable. I won't say absolutely enjoyable, but almost.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've found exercise that I absolutely love which is weight lifting. If it was my choice, I'd do only weight lifting. It is great and quite empowering and of course my excuse at first for only doing that was I had a knee injury. I've been trying to incorporate more cardio in my routine because I know I need it and I can't avoid it forever. Now, I am starting to like cardio mostly because I am getting better at it.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #14  

Kissy, I know what you mean and I am the same way. I am typically a social butterfly, but when it comes to exercise... I think I'd rather just go in, concentrate on what I am doing, get it done and get out!! Hee hee.

Firefly, I am under the impression that Curves doesn't have any ellipticals... just resistance, but I still have not been in to check out the machines, so I will have to let you know on that.

Sweet Tooth, Good for you! Isn't it a great feeling when you realize that is it easier? Wee!!

Nelie, I am really interested in weight training. How did you start yours? In a gym? With a workout video/DVD? With a personal trainer? I just bought some small (2 pound) weights but I really don't know which exercises I should start with or how many reps to do etc.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kris,

I've been doing weight training off and on over the years, "The Firm" workouts were probably one of my first major introduction. They are cardio workouts using weights so basically, they use weights to help you get your heart rate up. Although I haven't done those in many years, they were probably the start. I go to a gym and when I first did weight training, I started with a personal trainer just so I could get familiar with the machines and different workouts. Now I make my own workouts and I basically follow a bodybuilder/weightlifter regimine which is pretty streneous but has helped me increase my metabolism and lose fat fat and more fat!

If you are interested in reading about weights and weight lifting, I recommend the following websites..

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - lady weightlifter, lots of insight and info
http://www.exrx.net/exercise.html - website that has all types of info and exercises for inside and outside the gym, but I will admit it is probably more useful for people that go to a gym and have access to different size dumbbells and weight machines.
Closed Thread