South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #1  

Question What's the SKINNY on eating late in the evening?

Is it "bad form" to have dinner after 8pm or to enjoy a ricotta creme after 10pm ??? I've heard food, especially sweets, are not metabolized as well ... or something ... any validity to that? Also, if I want to snack late at night, is it better to have protein, fat, carb or some kind of combo?

Thanks!
- R

Last edited by J&LMOM; 09-13-2003 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:14 AM   #2  
Mous

You really shouldn't eat after 7 at night, unless your lifestyle dictates this. Try eating your last ANYTING 4 hours before bed.

If you can, take a bath, write, read or ANYTHING that will make the eating impulse go away.

Marcie
Old 09-14-2003, 06:36 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

I was always a bedtime snacker, but I no longer have the urge with this "diet". It's nice to go to bed with a book (and my husband ) without having to have a bag of chips with me or a bowl of cereal or some toast.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #4  

J&L ...

I think everyone must be different ... I usually don't have dinner until 8:30 in the evening and I'm still loosing about a pound a week in phase II ... but the reason I eat so late in the evening is that is when I come home from the gym after exercising an hour and a half ... that could be why it doesn't effect me ... eating right after exercise (???)
Old 09-15-2003, 12:29 PM   #5  
Work in Progress

My lifestyle dictates eating late. I have tried for years to eat before 7:00 but it just is not going to happen, I am at the park between 7-8 with the dog. My work day doesn't end until 7 and I begin early in the morning (I work out of the house so I am always at work).

I just gave up, and try to eat healthy and on plan. If I am really hungry, I will have a piece of cheese or something to tied me over, I won't eat heavy or a lot....I know that is a no no, but if it keeps me OP and the downside is slower weight loss, I would rather do that then go Off Plan!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 10:42 AM   #6  
Fighter

Well, my lifestyle does allow me to eat earlier (since I have no JOB!) So, starting last night, I decided not to eat after 7 pm ever again. I'll see at next week's weigh-in if it's doing any good. :-D
Old 09-19-2003, 11:12 AM   #7  
it's always something

I've always been one to believe that late night snacking was a no-no. However, I recently read about a study that showed that food eaten late at night was not metabolized any differently than food eaten in the day. The main point they made was that it didn't matter what time of day you ate, that the body knew what to do with it. However, they stressed that it's the type of food we tend to eat during late night snacking that was usually bad, since many people reach for chips or sweets.

I'll try to find it, maybe it's still in my history folder.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:46 PM   #8  

Suzanne-

I completely agree. I have done BFL and BodyRX (both weightlifting/six meals a day programs) and both pooh-pooh the whole "don't eat after 6 or 7" idea. It's pure myth, and going to bed hungry does nothing positive for you or your weight loss.

Laura
Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally posted by semmens
Suzanne-

I completely agree. I have done BFL and BodyRX (both weightlifting/six meals a day programs) and both pooh-pooh the whole "don't eat after 6 or 7" idea. It's pure myth, and going to bed hungry does nothing positive for you or your weight loss.

Laura
...except dream about food! *Not* a good way to start the morning!

I eat a tiny bit of protein if I'm hungry at night. That usually does the trick and hasn't hindered my weight loss so far!
Closed Thread