South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 10:05 PM   #61  
it's always something

I've never heard of flax bread. Maybe it's a regional thing?

I want that cheesecake recipe! It will come just in time, I'm starting to get cravings I finally bought a Diet Sierra Mist tonight, it's chilling in the freezer now. Maybe that will help ease my sweet tooth.

Karen, thanks for the great description of the Sugar Busters diet! I agree, the SB forum is very friendly, and Debelli is great!

Well, it looks like everyone is doing great! I'm hanging in there, in spite of that craving I'm having rigiht now. It will pass.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:20 PM   #62  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi!
I want that cheesecake recipe too!!(drool)

I did well tonight. We had carry out, and the others had subs and fries. I had a big grilled chicken salad and even picked out the carrot shavings!!! There were leftover fries, which I asked DH to deal with, since they are one of my BIG downfalls. Didn't even feel tempted watching them eat the fries, but I was afraid that throwing them out or packing them up would have been TOO tempting!!!

I need to get sugar free popsicles......I AM TOO HOT!!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 01:15 AM   #63  
Slimwithin

RICOTTA CHEESECAKE
(I think I got this from the Prevention website)

I cut this recipe in half and used half ricotta and half low fat cottage cheese.

3 lb ricotta cheese
8 eggs
1 cup Splenda
Vanilla to taste
I added some lemon juice and grated peel to mine.
You can use other flavorings like chocolate extract, or almond extract. You could even sprinkle the pan with some finely ground nuts if you like a bit of crunch.

Blend all until smooth in blender or food processor.
Spray muffin cups with Pam and pour in mixture.
I used a pie plate sprayed with Pam.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until firm. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake in until it's room temp. Chill. Very nice with a few strawberries.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #64  
GARDENING ADDICT

Linda, that sounds very tastey~I'll try it soon. Thanks.

Another day at the beach and down another pound gone. I now have 5 more pounds to lose in the next 6 weeks to win the bet with my DH. I had asked him if he would give me $100 if I made it, thinking that money might be an incentive for me . Of course, if I don't make then I owe him the money. The original bet was to "lose 10 pounds in 11 weeks". Unfortunately I gained 3 pounds in the first few weeks of the bet . I figured that it was hopeless, until I started SB. So, never give up hope.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:15 AM   #65  
GARDENING ADDICT

Welcome, Karen

I hope that you try South Beach and come here often to check -in and be accountable, also for the wonderful support and friendship that these ladies provide every day.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:52 AM   #66  

Thank you for the cheesecake recipe - I'll try it tonight!

Day 4 (late afternoon) was not good - I just felt terrible headachy and even a bit shakey. I felt like someone trying to get off drugs instead of wheat thins! Anyways - I made a big bowl of gazpacho and a crab louie for dinner and felt a lot better. Today I feel wonderful.

The gazpacho came out well. I used the recipe from the book for the most part but ran two red chille peppers through the garlic press to spice it up a bit. (To do that I cut them in half and roll them up with the meaty side out before sticking them in the press - its a good trick) Lunch today will be the soup with fresh bay shrimp and sliced avocado. Today I will not eat lettuce!

Susan - my empathy on studying for the bar - when is your exam?

Karen - welcome to the Beach. I think you'll like it here but also appreciate the info on Sugar Busters. I am so glad to be out of the WW fold and actively seeking real world information on what makes good nutrition. I feel like I had my head in the sand.

Sil - one more pound toward victory and cash - keep up the great effort and thanks for your always encouraging posts.

Last edited by susie; 06-26-2003 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:32 AM   #67  
Jo
Catatonic

Default Legal foods?

I'm thinking about starting the SBD, but I haven't decided for sure. I wanted to check the book out at the library before I made my decision, but it's "unavailable"

I was wondering about the legal foods -- where do condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc) fall? Also, are veggie products (like veggie burgers or veggie dogs) allowed?

TIA
Old 06-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #68  
it's always something

From what I understand, veggie burgers or dogs might be allowed, but it would depend on what brand or variety. You would need to read the labels and make sure they don't contain trans or hydrogenated fats, prohibited ingredients, or contain a lot of starches as binders.

I'm glad you asked that, because I had assumed I'd need to eat a lot of meat, which has been difficult for me. The next time I go shopping, I'm going to check veggie burger labels! Maybe we could even come up with a few recipes.

Reduced fat mayonnaise is allowed. Mustard is also allowed. Ketchup would have to be sugar free.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:21 PM   #69  
karen3000

Happy Thursday to you all!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with you. While I was doing SugarBusters, I participated in the discussions and felt very "at home". Eventually, there were so many posters and so many side discussions going on that if I missed day of reading, I felt I could never catch up and I gradually drifted away and then had some life changes come up that totally derailed me from that woe and I could never get going again for more than a few days in a row. It's really nice to be in a smaller group with the opportunity to get to know each other better and maybe even remember names (LOL). The support on these boards (all throughout 3FC) is really remarkable and a blessing to us all.

Today has gone well. I know that I'm not following the plan in that I'm not eating meals and snacks, but just kind of grazing through the day. But the pounds (water weight, I'm sure) are dropping and the hunger and cravings are gone. I need to go to the store and get some stuff so I have a little more variety around.

The recipes you have shared look really good, so I will try some soon. I tried to get into the Prevention site for the recipes that Heidi has been posting there, but all I could get was an error message. Does anyone have her e-mail address so I could e-mail for the word document?

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Karen

Old 06-26-2003, 05:36 PM   #70  
Slimwithin

Hi Karen, I just tried to get into the SBD forum at Prevention and wasn't able to access it either. They must be having some problems with it. Perhaps try it again in a day or two. They could just be overloaded with visitors as the diet has really been promoted lately in magazines and on tv.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:30 PM   #71  

Height: 5'-2"

Karen, I have the email from Heidi with the recipes. If you want to PM me, I'll send them to you.

Hi to everyone!

(hot here... very hot...)
Old 06-26-2003, 06:52 PM   #72  

Hi guys!!! I am going to try the South Beach Diet...I ordered my book from amazon and hopefully I will have it in a few days....I wanted to ask a question....it says you will lose belly fat first....have ya'll found that to be true??? Thanks, Whimsey
Old 06-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #73  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

HI everyone,

mind if I join you? I just bought the book from overstock.com and I can't wait to receive it. Does anyone have any good recipes ?

thanks

Bev
Old 06-26-2003, 07:15 PM   #74  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Whimsey and Bev!

Whimsey, my husband has lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks, and needless to say it's all come off of his belly. Darned men!
I've lost 11 pounds, and while I haven't particularly noticed it around my waist, I can see the difference in my upper body. You know that "upper chest/neck thing"?

Bev... there are recipes on some of the other threads if you look around. And check out Prevention.com...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #75  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Linda-Thanks so much for the recipe!! Can't wait to try it!!. I LOVE cheesecake!!!!!

Did pretty well today, but I hope it gets cooler. I don't much feel like cooking or eating correctly in this heat!!!

Sounds like the rest of you are doing well too...GLAD TO HEAR IT!!!
Closed Thread