South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #1  

Default Vegetable help...*sigh*

Well my "official" phase I is over wasn't really that hard cheese came in handy but I think I my have over done it with the cheese trying to get the flavor into these vegetables. Especially the cucumber lasagna.

So I decided to take a list and wrote down the vegetables I do like and new ones to try. There's actually quite a few that I like ( and are great in tomato sauces) and have been using however I always have to "hide" them in meat or cheese because I can't deal with the "bland" "rubbery" taste by itself.

Yesterday I tried my hand at marinating them with sea salt, pepper, olive oil, so that I could try grilled vegetables, and today added VERY little soy sauce to give it some flavoring. This will be for dinner TODAY along with fish. So for future plannings and better healthier options than drowning vegetables in tomato sauce? Eating them plain and raw, is going to take some getting used to.

What marinades can I use to give vegetables some flavor? Yes, I did check the forum for salads and such but nothing directly on marinating vegetables in general.

Thanks gals
RedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I almost always roast my veggies in the oven. I spray them lightly with olive oil, and my favorite seasoning is Spike's Original. For variety, I'll sometimes drizzle a little Balsamic vinegar over them before I roast them. It gives them a wonderful carmelly flavor.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I like lemon pepper on my vegetables. It's especially good on broccoli (with a little oil and vinegar it's even good cold), and it's also petty good on zucchini and mushrooms.
Kslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

I love to roast vegetables also. My favorites to roast are: butternut squash, onions, eggplant, asparagus, brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots. I always cut them into cubes (except asparagus, I just leave that whole), toss with olive oil and diced onion and garlic, and then roast at about 350*F for about 35-45 minutes (asparagus is done in about 20). I add a sprinkle of salt and pepper afterward. I also add basil and oregano to eggplant and we like thyme or rosemary with the sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots.

Broccoli I love steamed with a little olive oil on top and some salt and pepper.

I like to saute green beans or zucchini or mushrooms with garlic and olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on them when they're finished.

My husband doesn't like cauliflower so I rarely make it, but when I do I prepare it the same as broccoli.

I like to saute leeks and add them to soup. I make sure to separate the leaves and rinse them well first.

Hope that helps a little!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #5  

Thanks ladies that helped a lot. I am going to the store today to pick up some marinades like green onions, garlic,vinegar, etc.

Oh I had some of my trial marinade vegetables ( for lunch) OMG so good. I used a George Foreman grill, a symphony of flavor in my mouth. I added a boiled egg and a dash of feta cheese. I wanted more but I need to save the rest of it for dinner. Yummy.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Thanks from me too! I am working on these darn veggies. Today for lunch I ate leftover asparagus (that I had roasted) with my chicken and even steamed a bunch of broccoli to have more green on my plate. I have never tried brussel sprouts by maybe will like them roasted. The George Foreman is a good idea too.

My DH doesn't like cauliflower either! I like it okay and the popcorn is yummy, but cooking it anyway at all makes the house stink.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I didn't like cooked cauliflower either or Brussels sprouts - and yes, I've been trying them for years. Remember I'm really, really old.

Anyhow, I now like both of them roasted with olive oil and a wee sprinkle of Parmesan. It seems I like all veggies now.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #8  
Visualizing the Goal

It's Nessa's amazing sprussles brouts. They're magic!

I forgot to mention my most favorite vegetable in the whole wide world! Spinach!!! I love spinach. I will eat it in salads or on veggie burgers or sauteed in some garlic and olive oil and with eggs or rice or anything. I steam the frozen blocks of spinach and mix some salt, pepper, and parmesan in and could eat the whole thing myself. I must be of Popeye stock.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
It's Nessa's amazing sprussles brouts. They're magic!
I searched and can't find the recipe. Does anyone have it or a link please.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #10  

Loving this thread- such great veggie ideas! I need help in this category, too!
litar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #11  

Kara I am also learning that spinach is a possible candidate for being in my top lists of favorite. I've been using it in just about everything I've eaten. I learn that was the easiest thing to sneak in my foods, the taste is barely noticeable. I soon plan on making smoothies with them once I start adding back the fruit.

Its strange I'm realizing I do like vegetables I just need to dress them up without covering them. I like the greens though, broccoli, spinach, green peppers, green onions, cucumber, zucchini, then to the colors tomatoes, red peppers etc. Making myself hungry.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Here's a link. Nessa's recipe is a few posts down but there are other good veggie ideas there too.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

I also roast them in the oven. I cut them in half, toss them with olive oil and minced garlic and diced onion, and then roast them in the oven at 350*F for about 35-45 minutes, stirring every so often. I hate cleaning my cast iron pan, so this way I can still have them but not have to clean the pan. Tom prefers them in the pan so he makes them that way.

It was funny to read that old thread, Ruth. Thanks for posting the link!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #14  

Thanks gals. My DH loves his cast iron skillet too; I never use it. Must be a man thing.

I am going to try some of these recipes! Yes I am. Keep repeating to myself so that it happens.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #15  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

You might also want to try roasting them and afterwards, adding balsamic vinegar to them -- yummy!

Are you a salad dressing girl? Try making your own and use them as marinades for grilling! My favorite is lime juice, olive oil, italian seasoning. Much healthier than bottled though I am sure there are a few bottled ones that are low sugar/cal/fat that you can use as well!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote