South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #46  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Nat's Mom - How old is the little one?

I just tried the Crystal Light Sunrise Ruby Red Grapefruit. It's actually pretty good. It isn't nearly as tangy as real grapefruit juice, but if you're on P1 and craving some citrus, it would be a pretty good replacement.

On the menu tonight is marinated beef kebabs with peanut sauce, grilled corn on the cob, sauteed kale with garlic, and steamed broccoli.
I'm also going to make the iced coffee dessert that is in the Taste of Summer SBD cookbook. It sounds really great, and a nice alternative to Starbucks $4 treats.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #47  

I'm pretty sure corn needs to be a once in a while treat since I don't think it is allowed even on phase 2 (unless that has changed with the new book)
Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Iced coffee is very yummy and easy to make. I do it all the time... Although, my tradition is to add a little coffee at the bottom of the glass with my splenda so that it mixes well. Then I add ice, more coffee and some ff 1/2+1/2.. Love it, love it, love it!!
DH enjoyed the salsa chicken... he wasn't sure the way it looked. I think on P2 cooking some brown rice up and having that as a bed to soak up some of the moisture will be a good idea... Lots of leftovers (now I have an easy go to, healthy meal...)
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #49  
beachin'

Barb - it hasn't. I didn't have it. It was just for DH and DS.

The veggies that are allowed haven't really changed much in the new book.

TDI - we simulposted. Glad the salsa chicken turned out well. I just looked at your recipe for it. It looks great. Might have to put it on the menu for next week.

I didn't end up making the iced coffees....maybe tomorrow night. Instead, I mixed some ricotta cheese with some splenda, vanilla, instant espresso and cocoa powder. topped it with a little cool-whip free. It was pretty decent, actually. I think next time I would add a little more splenda as the cocoa and the espresso powder made it a little bitter.

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-29-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 PM   #50  

it tasted really yummy... I made it extra spicey..mmmm... think next time, I may add more veggies to it. DH is not a huge fan of cooked veggies...but when they're meshed into a dish.. he eats them up great!! And when I was eating it, I was thinking this would make a really awesome..and easy soup!! I'll have to try it. Maybe p2 and add rice to the soup... maybe add veggie, or chix broth, add some beans to it.. maybe bake some ww tortilla strips for the topping...MMMMM
Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #51  
beachin'

That sounds great. We try to have a soup night at least once a week. It's a cheap, easy way to get lots of veggies into everyone. I'm making the summer chicken chili this week (I think it's from the summer SBD cookbook).

I'm just getting some beans ready for tomorrow. White beans for dinner tomorrow, and garbanzos for roasted garbanzo beans. That is one of my favorite snacks now, and so inexpensive with dried beans!

I'm planning on having spice rubbed chicken fingers (breasts cut into strips) with cilantro dipping sauce, white bean puree and probably broccoli (I have a TON of it right now) or green beans. DS really enjoys the chicken fingers. I make them spicier than the recipe calls for and he still eats them. He also likes to dip his fingers in the cilantro sauce and lick them off.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #52  

LOL that's cute with the DS... Whats the cilantro dipping sauce? It sounds yummy.. and I'm gonna be planting some cilantro soon.
I've always been afraid of dried beans... although.. because of you posting in the chick chat a few weeks ago about the taco bake and using lentils instead... I used lentils (first time ever) DH was not a huge fan, but he ate it and enjoyed it. I think if I don't give him the choice..he eats it.. LOL...
So do you just soak any and all beans overnight? where do you get dried garbanzo beans?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #53  
beachin'

I find that lentils are a bit bland on their own, but take on the flavor of whatever you season them with nicely. I puree my lentils (or just mash them) so DS and DH think they are just refried beans. If they know, they don't let on

I soak all dried beans overnight in clean, cold water. In the morning, drain, rinse and cook. It can take a few hours to cook them sometimes, so most of the time I do them in the crockpot.

Dried garbanzo beans can be found with all the rest of the dried beans (by the rice and stuff). They may also be called chick peas. I like using dried beans if I can because they are cheaper (MUCH!) than canned and don't really take a lot of effort if you plan ahead. That said, I do keep a few cans of beans in the pantry in case I don't plan ahead

I have a favorite recipe for red beans and rice if you're interested. It uses turkey sausage instead of mixed smoked sausage and you can always omit the rice if you're P1. I've served it with cooked lentils before, but your DH might not be a fan.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #54  

I would be interested.. even if I keep the rice in.. were almost to p2, I'm starting to gather p2 recipes.. I will start trying the dried beans.. Do the packages have cooking times and such on them? So if I were making a soup with dried beans.. I'd soak them overnight and then cook them or put them in the soup.. or a combo of both? I have a lot of questions about them... I think I'll be experimenting
The red bean dish sounds yummy...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #55  
beachin'

I'll post the red bean dish tomorrow. It makes a ton and is very filling. Easy to fiddle with the spices and such to make it as spicy as you like.

If you're adding beans to soups, soak them overnight -drain and rinse- and then add them to the soup...bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until soft (usually an hour or more)

If you have any questions though, don't hesitate to ask. If I don't know, I'm sure one of the other posters can help...and if they cannot....there is always google!

I'm off to bed. Good night

Last edited by zeffryn; 04-29-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM   #56  

Thanks... as am I... with DH Night.. this was fun chatting
Closed Thread