South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 175.5/175.5/135

Height: 5'-4 1/4"

Default Starting P1 tomorrow, first time ever

I'm hoping to get started tomorrow. I need to go to the store. No veggies here and very little proteins since I've been away for a week.

Which SBD cookbooks would you all recommend to get started? I was looking at the summer cookbook on Amazon.

I also need to check out some bean recipes my kids would eat.

Jo
Old 04-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 175.5/175.5/135

Height: 5'-4 1/4"

Question

One more thing, how do you feel about artifical sweeteners as far as cravings go? I've been reading recently that your brain treats art. sweeteners just like sugar. Is it better on P1 to avoid AS?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Gymrat128
My experience is that artificial sweetners do make me crave things. I don't use them any more.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Gymrat: It all depends on the person. I use splenda for everything instead of sugar. If you can use 'em without overeating then go ahead.. if not, then don't. Its all a learning process.. You'll figure out what your body likes and dislikes...

Day2 of week2 down of P1....almost to the finish line and onto p2.. although.. I'll be taking p2 slowly but surely..
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

Height: 5'3"

OH..cottage: thanks for the applause.. I'm very happy!!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

tdiprincess
congratulatiions on those 6 pounds lost.

Doing south beach today but will officially start tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:33 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 238/Tick/185

Height: 5' 8"

So far so good for me! Been on track for 9 days! I have lost about 7lbs which is good because I only had gained about 5ish! Feels good to have the "new" clothes being lose too
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #53  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Hey Chicks, I am on day 8 of PH1. I was having great weight loss success in the first week (4lbs) but have seem to stalled this week. Could be TOM or the fact that I am eating too much unsweetened choc powder and natural low fat peanut butter (going over about 1-2 Tbs) yesterday and today.
I really want SBD to work for me...

Question -

How many snacks per day? 1 or 2? are they required?

Can I stay on PH1 until I reach my first goal? or is it best to transition to PH2 after 2 weeks. (I am not feeling too restricted by PH1) except for the wine....

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #54  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Mom View Post
Hey Chicks, I am on day 8 of PH1. I was having great weight loss success in the first week (4lbs) but have seem to stalled this week. Could be TOM or the fact that I am eating too much unsweetened choc powder and natural low fat peanut butter (going over about 1-2 Tbs) yesterday and today.
I really want SBD to work for me...

Question -

How many snacks per day? 1 or 2? are they required?

Can I stay on PH1 until I reach my first goal? or is it best to transition to PH2 after 2 weeks. (I am not feeling too restricted by PH1) except for the wine....

Thanks for your help!
From what I know, you can eat as many snacks as you need to feel full....but they need to be the right kind of snacks. Veggies aren't limited on the plan, so having a snack of fresh pepper strips or celery with a little hummus would be great. Eating a serving of almonds every snack isn't so great, however. In P1, the servings of nuts should be limited to 1 a day....as well as 2 T of fats (which includes nut butters). I just had my first snack of the day, and I had a half serving of almonds and a half cup of fat free cottage cheese. Lots of protein to tide me over until lunch, and it ensures that I won't be ravenous at lunch.

The purpose of snacks is to keep your metabolism up all day. Eating less might make you feel like you're losing weight, but in reality, your metabolism is shutting down and as soon as you eat a fair amount, you will gain weight back.

Also, P1 isn't healthy for long periods of time. Your body needs carbs (HEALTHY ones!) to thrive. Your brain feeds on carbs. Vegetables offer some carbs, but not enough to truly be healthy on this plan. P1 is simply for regulating your blood sugar and eliminate cravings. You can always jump back on P1 if you find yourself craving again, or if you suddenly gain weight..but P2 is the healthiest way to lose weight. If you want to lose faster on P2, don't eat as many fruits and grains...but still include them in your diet.

You are probably right in your diagnosis of why you've stalled out. Try eating fewer fat calories and more veggie calories during the day. TOM is a big factor in this kind of thing also, women gain weight during TOM, simple as that. The good news is that it will go away when TOM goes away.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #55  

Height: 5'10

Update! I feel soo much healthier and it's only the 3rd day. I use to eat soo many carbs and now I don't feel like I need them as much anymore. Tommorrow's going to be my 4th day and I started off at a 160 and I'm down to 157 already! I just have a lot more energy because I'm not crashing on sugar so much. One thing I have noticed is I get hungrier more often between meals so I nibble a bit, but only on healthy things! Like sliced zuchinni, squash, cucumbers, or celery. I eat cheese sticks and nuts for protein too. My favorite cheese is low fat ricotta

I have been making sure I've gotten all my vegetables in. I fill up a bag full of vegetables in a steam bag and pop it into the microwave, then I eat it with some protein. I made up my own "sandwhich" recipe that I'm going to post sooner or later in the recipe section.

I am soo full after each meal that I can't even think of eating anything else! Snacks usually are when I'm the hungriest but breakfast and dinner leave me belly full.

Also, this may be TMI, but for the past 4 days (1st day was a test drive of the plan) I have been using the bathroom more regularly. Maybe because of the fiber.

I can't wait to continue with the plan and see the results. This is actually the easiest diet I have ever done. But I can't wait to be on phase 2 ! I really miss eating sweet stuff like fruits! Maybe a slice of whole grain bread or oat meal wouldn't hurt either! But now I know that I need to eat those things in moderation. I use to eat like 8 slices of whole grain bread in one day sometimes!

Here's what I ate so far

Breakfast: Ricotta cheese, and a sprinkle of nuts (was rushing out the door. Late!). i had sliced cucumbers lying around and ate that too.

Snack: Cheese Stick

Snack- cashews

Lunch- 2 boiled eggs, with sliced zuchinni, broccoli and cheese (low fat chedder),

snack- sliced squash

then I came home and had a sliced squash "sandwhich" . idk what to call this meal.

Just dinner left and I'm done for the day.

Yesterday I exercised at the gym and plan to go today too for the classes.

Last edited by sweetlovin; 04-30-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #56  

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Checking in.. can I get some opinions on my PH1 eating?

Yesterday.. I think I'm eating too much.

Breakfast: 1 egg / spinach / 1/4c low fat blue cheese crumbles

Snack: 1 1/2 C Fat free ricotta cheese w/ 2Tbs Natural Peanut butter and 2Tbs cocoa powder / splenda

Lunch: 2c Faux Chicken Chili w/ white beans

Dinner: 1 Can Arichoke Hearts / 1/2 C Fat free Parmesan Cheese / 2 T Light Mayo / Lettuce w/ spray dressing

Snack: 1 Tbs Peanut Butter / 1 Tbs Cocoa Powder / 3 Tbs Nonfat dry milk / Splenda - (Warm Brownie recipe) but I didn't have syrup so I added water.. it was divine.

Down one pound that I gained over the weekend.

Just in my opinion, and the advice I've gotten (and I'm not expert on the plan either ). I would probably add more veggies since you had only 2 servings that day. When you say can, you mean the entire can or one serving from the can?

And for the snacks, You're only allowed one serving of nuts a day so be careful with that. Try slicing up some veggies with low fat dip. I eat them without dip but I really wish I had some to dip them in.

You must be a vegetarian from looking at your menu, so maybe the exta nuts isn't too bad for you.. hmm

Anyway good job so far. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #57  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymrat128 View Post
I'm hoping to get started tomorrow. I need to go to the store. No veggies here and very little proteins since I've been away for a week.

Which SBD cookbooks would you all recommend to get started? I was looking at the summer cookbook on Amazon.

I also need to check out some bean recipes my kids would eat.

Jo
The summer cookbook is great, but I use the original SBD cookbook the most. The Quick and Easy book is pretty good as well.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #58  
beachin'

Quote:
Checking in.. can I get some opinions on my PH1 eating?

Yesterday.. I think I'm eating too much.

Breakfast: 1 egg / spinach / 1/4c low fat blue cheese crumbles

Snack: 1 1/2 C Fat free ricotta cheese w/ 2Tbs Natural Peanut butter and 2Tbs cocoa powder / splenda

Lunch: 2c Faux Chicken Chili w/ white beans

Dinner: 1 Can Arichoke Hearts / 1/2 C Fat free Parmesan Cheese / 2 T Light Mayo / Lettuce w/ spray dressing

Snack: 1 Tbs Peanut Butter / 1 Tbs Cocoa Powder / 3 Tbs Nonfat dry milk / Splenda - (Warm Brownie recipe) but I didn't have syrup so I added water.. it was divine.

Down one pound that I gained over the weekend.
You may want to cut back on the fats....1-2 T. a day is the limit on P1. In this day, I see 5. Also, as someone else mentioned....UP the veggies throw them in for a snack instead of something sweet like ricotta blends, or add more at lunch and dinner. From the looks of it, you're a vegetarian?

Other than that, it looks good. You mentioned that you were stalling out weight loss wise, lower the good fats and raise the veggies and it should balance out.

Great job on that one pound!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM   #59  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Zeffryn and Sweet - thank you for your feedback - I really appreciate it.

I am a vegetarian but do eat fish on occasion. I completely agree with your suggestions. More veggies - less fat. I have had some terrible cravings in the past few days. (TOM) I am going to try and cut back on splenda and eliminate the cocoa powder until I can get over this hurdle.

Thanks again for all of your help and support!

Enjoy your day!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #60  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Marathon Mom, that's a largish "snack". Ricotta is 514 calories and 29 grams of fat. When you add the peanut butter, you're up to 700 calories and 46 grams of fat.

Perhaps you should run your food through www.fitday.com just to see your calories and fat/carb/protein balance.
Closed Thread