South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #46  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscarchie View Post
I was a size 14 when I went to college. And then I met the "make your own Belgian waffle corner." I think I lost a potential beau due to that corner! By the end of college I had gone on a rollercoaster ride of jean sizes... I think I ended up a heavy 16, an 18 in denial.
Yup, I saw one of those wafflemakers there. Good thing my son is a stick and needs to put on a little weight.

I love to taste samples at Williams-Sonoma. They always have something good cooking.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

ahhhh. belgian waffles..how utterly sublime. i can see how u succumbed to that tempation usarchie, when i was on vacation in belgium last year that's pretty much all i ate
buti guess now it's time to say bye to waffles and hello skinnyjeans. sacrifices. sacrifices
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #48  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

I haven't had waffles in ages. I don't have a waffle maker, and I don't know how to make them without one. And I probably need to stay away.

I did have some delicious 6 carb cheesceake at the cheesecake factory on my trip, and it was really good. (It was probably terrible for me.)

I don't know how I'm going to make it through today. I'm tuckered out!
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Hola' Chicas

I have been missing in action this week. I was so sick after Easter that I missed several days of work. Polite protocol is you make those days up...........and my paycheck liked me making them up too. However my usual 8 hour day turned into 12 hour days........I feel like a whipped noodle,limp rag, washed out , whatever

I did manage to stay with my plan sorta.......I ate to much of things that are ok to eat. Instead of one apple, two, instead of one egg, two, that kind of thing. I don't anticipate a loss, and am hoping for no gain.

Spring has sprung in Michigan. Robins are singing, toads and frogs are singing, and the redwing black birds are making nests. We are probably due for more snow......

Here are some positive choices for this week.

I like ff sour cream and salsa as a salad dressing. The chicken fajita strips one can buy already cooked are great on a salad too.

Western bagels with 7 grams of fiber are a little papery tasting, but a great treat.

I rinsed the beans enough that the bean soup didn't cause undo problems at work.

My new glasses have sparkles on them, makes me feel like I am back in the 60's

Kay
KayL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #50  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayL17 View Post
I did manage to stay with my plan sorta.......I ate to much of things that are ok to eat. Instead of one apple, two, instead of one egg, two, that kind of thing. I don't anticipate a loss, and am hoping for no gain.

Spring has sprung in Michigan. Robins are singing, toads and frogs are singing, and the redwing black birds are making nests. We are probably due for more snow......

Here are some positive choices for this week.

I like ff sour cream and salsa as a salad dressing. The chicken fajita strips one can buy already cooked are great on a salad too.

Western bagels with 7 grams of fiber are a little papery tasting, but a great treat.

I rinsed the beans enough that the bean soup didn't cause undo problems at work.

My new glasses have sparkles on them, makes me feel like I am back in the 60's

Kay
We had snow Thursday and beautifully warm and sunny today close to 60. Crazy weather!

I love salsa on chicken, eggs, etc. but I like the taste of low fat sour cream better than the FF.

What kind of Western bagel are you eating? I have tried the Honey Wheat in the past but didn't think they were SBD friendly enough to eat anymore. Their hard to find around here. Taste OK when you're really craving a bagel.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:12 PM   #51  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I was reading posts from a few days ago and someone was looking for a flourless cake recipe. I found this one here at 3FC and made it for valentine's day. It turned out delicious, but didn't look so good. I think making it a few more times and it might look better.

Warm Chocolate Cakes with Coffee Creme Anglaise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this recipe from SELF magazine but it's really from Canyon Ranch spa. ***It does call for sugar but you can use Splenda I just don't know the coversion amounts so I am writing sugar and you need to make the substitutions

makes 4, 139 calories ea (based on using white sugar)

sauce
1/3 cup 2% milk ( I used skim)
4 tsp sugar*** (I used splenda, not the packets, the kind for baking)
1 1-inch piece of vanilla bean(may substitute tsp of vanilla extract in a pinch)
4 tsp brewed coffee
1 egg yolk

Bring first (4) ingredients to a simmer in a medium pan over medium heat, stirring continuously. remove vanilla bean; scrape seeds into sauce. Place egg yolk in bowl and mix in 2 tbl of hot milk mixture. Mix well and add back to pan. cook 1 minute. Stir. Remove from heat; cool. cover and refrigerate.

cakes

1 egg, separated
2 tbl sugar***(I used splenda)
1/4 chopped bittersweet chocolate or bittersweet chips
7 tsp of nonfat plain yogurt

Beat egg white in a bowl with electric mixer til foamy. Add 1/2 tsp sugar, continue beating on high, add (5) more 1/2 tsp increments of sugar until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat egg yolk with remaining 1 tbl suar until think. Melt choclate in double boiler or microwave. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt; add to egg yolk mixture. Fold in egg white mixture. Cover; refrigerate at least an hour. Heat oven to 325. Coat 4 molds in muffin tin with cooking spray; pour in batter. bake 12 min or until cake springs back when touched. Cool slightly.

Pour 2 tbl sauce on each of 4 plates; put 1 cake on top of each.

This comes out as a very rich fancy dessert, great for company and perfect b/c it only makes 4.

I also added red raspberries. It did make it look prettier and tasted good as well.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #52  

spring has unsprung! cold winds, rain and snow flurries. ugh! hoping for sunshine...

skinnydogmom- thanks, that might've been me. was looking for something to spread the delish sounding cream-cheese frosting on

kay and murph mitch- it's great that you have been making such positive food choices..the western bagel sounds great..unfortunately i can't get them here..maybe i could make them myself? recipe, anyone?

anyways: one of my students brought back some american foodstuffs that you can't get here from her visit to boston. i know she had all the best intentions and so i did not have the heart to tell her to pack them reese's pieces and mac n cheese right back up. and last night i caverd and had the mac n cheese..i did use ww pasta. but still. and i ate the reese's, too.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #53  
Midwesterner

I lost my last two pounds today. I have to decide if I want to stay on Phase II and possibly lose more or add some foods in. I'm really quite satisfied on the amount of food I'm eating daily. It would be nice to splurge on an occasional treat. I'm always worried that will spell trouble for me. I'm much better off staying on plan pretty strictly.

I really need to pick up the exercise too to tone and tighten up, especially my tummy, but after three kids, I don't think it will change alot. Just bought me some size 4 jeans!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #54  

Default You go, girl!

congrats murphmitch! you have got those skinny jeans!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #55  
Come on ONEderland!

Congrats, Murphmitch! What a huge accomplishment!

I feel so stymied. I haven't really seen the scale move a whole lot. I'm not having cravings, and I feel like I'm eating well, so I guess I either need to cut back on the portion sizes or cut back on the 2 servings of whole wheat food stuffs a day. Maybe head towards a modified P1 for a week or so, see what happens then. 1 serving of whole wheat, 1 serving of fruit a day?

I know another option would be to up the exercise, but I only have my lunch hour with which to get some exercise done, and I'm walking up the hill of death during that. Maybe I'll try a little jogging.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #56  
Heidelitos

S/C/G: 186/???/145

Height: 5'4

It really is inspirational to see people on this site reaching their goals!! It makes me feel that if I keep it up...I can too.

I was out of town for 8 days last week and strayed a bit from the diet...but all in all I was pretty proud. I went to MI to visit my family and had a baby shower and a wedding. So I cheated. Then I went to Vegas with my hubby, and I cheated some more. But I stuck with it WAY more that I would have before so it was okay.

I gained three pound during the week, and today, they are gone. So I'm back to where I started before I left.

All of you who are doing great are making me want to keep it up!! Thanks.
Heidelitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM   #57  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Same old same old...not that I am complaining

This marks my thirteenth week on Phase 2.

I feel that it has become automatic for me. My kitchen is completely South Beach so I feel like I am in my own little protected cocoon. I do eat out but I feel fortunate that the two restaurants where we like to eat out (and did before I began SBD) are very SBD-friendly.

The only departure that I have done during the past thirteen weeks is that I decided that I wanted to count calories besides following this food plan. I am losing a consistent 1.5-3 lbs per week since I have been doing that. I just feel like if I were left to my "devices" following the food plan as it is written, I would still overeat, yes, even healthy foods. I need that little extra boundary--fence--to keep my eating within a specific limits. I try to aim for 2000 calories per day but it seems like it is more like 2300-2500 calories. I write everything down.

So, that is "my story" this week. Things are going well. I like this food plan and I make the same things for my Dh as I do myself. He is not a dessert guy so those are all no sugar or Splenda-ized.

P.S. That cake recipe sounds good. I made a Splenda sweetened gingerbread coffee cake with whole wheat flour and buttermilk that was very moist and looked really pretty too. It's in Marilyn Koch's Splenda cookbook. It is very good and freezes well. I immediately cut it up into individual servings, popped it in the freezer and then take one serving out, "nuke it" for 30-40 seconds and eat it warm.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #58  
Midwesterner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamatga View Post
This marks my thirteenth week on Phase 2.

The only departure that I have done during the past thirteen weeks is that I decided that I wanted to count calories besides following this food plan. I am losing a consistent 1.5-3 lbs per week since I have been doing that. I just feel like if I were left to my "devices" following the food plan as it is written, I would still overeat, yes, even healthy foods. I need that little extra boundary--fence--to keep my eating within a specific limits. I try to aim for 2000 calories per day but it seems like it is more like 2300-2500 calories. I write everything down.
I have been on SBD just over 13 weeks and lost 19#, about 1.5# per week. I just recently counted calories over a couple days. I found out I am eating about 1200-1400 calories per day. I was surprised as I felt like I was eating more than that. That's about what I was doing on Weight Watcher's flex plan but I seemed to feel more hungry all the time on it. I do feel like I can stay on this plan easier. I enjoy the fact that I'm not weighing, measuring and counting points!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #59  
Come on ONEderland!

Maybe I ought to start counting calories, too, but I have such a hard time measuring portions, knowing how much of everything is in my food. I'll have to find a good cookbook and be really stringent about it all.

It's worth giving it a shot, I think.

I think I need to go back to P1 for a little bit- not to stop cravings, because I have none of those, but to retrain myself not to go crazy with the carbs. I didn't reintroduce the whole wheat and fruit correctly, I think I went too fast.

I'll do a whole P1 week next week, so I can prepare myself (and finish off my fruits in the house.)