South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #16  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Schmoodle..we have a "sister city" in france that does a student exchange every year. My best friend volunteered years ago to host a child that was visiting that was the same age as her son. Bless his heart, he did not want to try anything she cooked (she's a fantastic cook!) She finally discovered he adored MCDonald's fries and that was just about all he ate for the whole 2 weeks. Then he got sick..headaches (I wonder why?). Before he left for the trip, his mother had warned him (rightfully so) not to take any kind of "drugs" that were given to him. Kathy tried to give him some tylenol for his headache and he got all unnerved. They finally ended up calling his Mama in France to get him to take the tylenol. She didn't volunteer the next year.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #17  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Here's the pulled pork recipe I used. You will need to sub Splenda for the sugar. Also, it's a fatty cut of meat. You need to leave the fat on while it cook to keep it moist, but afterwards trim as much as possible. Instead of the complicated grilling instructions, this is what I did: made the rub and rubbed half on the pork. Let marinade overnight in fridge. Put other half of rub in vinegar sauce (what they use for basting). Put pork in crockpot and pour vinegar sauce over it, and then cook 8-9 hours on low in the crockpot. It turned out beautifully.

Carolina Pulled Pork with Lexington Red Sauce
Cooking Light, July 2007

Ingredients

Pork:
8 hickory wood chunks (about 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (5-pound) bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt)
1 cup cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups water, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon canola oil
Cooking spray

Sauce:
1 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Preparation
To prepare pork, soak wood chunks in water about 16 hours; drain.

Combine turbinado sugar and next 4 ingredients (through ground red pepper); reserve 2 tablespoons sugar mixture. Rub half of the remaining sugar mixture onto pork. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and refrigerate pork overnight.

Remove pork from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Rub remaining half of sugar mixture onto pork.

Combine reserved 2 tablespoons sugar mixture, 1 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and oil in a small saucepan; cook over low heat 10 minutes or until sugar dissolves.

Remove grill rack; set aside. Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium-low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature at 225°. Pierce bottom of a disposable aluminum foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Place pan on heated side of grill; add half of wood chunks to pan. Place another disposable aluminum foil pan (do not pierce pan) on unheated side of grill. Pour remaining 2 cups water in pan. Coat grill rack with cooking spray; place on grill.

Place pork on grill rack over foil pan on the unheated side. Close lid, and cook for 4 1/2 hours or until a thermometer registers 170°, gently brushing pork with vinegar mixture every hour (avoid brushing off sugar mixture). Add additional wood chunks halfway during cooking time. Discard any remaining vinegar mixture.

Preheat oven to 250°.

Remove pork from grill. Wrap pork in several layers of aluminum foil, and place in a baking pan. Bake at 250° for 2 hours or until a thermometer registers 195°. Remove from oven. Let stand, still wrapped, for 1 hour or until pork easily pulls apart. Unwrap pork; trim and discard fat. Shred pork with 2 forks.

To prepare sauce, combine 1 cup vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 1/4 cups (about 5 minutes). Serve sauce warm or at room temperature with pork.
Yield

13 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork and about 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
Nutritional Information

CALORIES 230(50% from fat); FAT 12.9g (sat 4.6g,mono 5.8g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 21.4g; CHOLESTEROL 74mg; CALCIUM 31mg; SODIUM 692mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 1.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 4.7g
Old 07-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #18  

Pacer I am saying a prayer for you right now. My DH and I have had a rough go for about the last year, so I know that home not being pleasant is not a bit of fun. You know we are here for you if you need to vent.

Kara Good morning! Or I guess I should say good night! Sweet dreams.....
Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM   #19  

Weezle Did Molly wind up having a boy or a girl? I can't remember you ever mentioning it, but I dropped off the boards for a month or so in the spring.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #20  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

oh that sounds good....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #21  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Nessa, do you work for the secret undersecretary of the unnamed office of secretness?

Sounds like you have to allot an extra hour to just get INTO work! No wonder you're up at the buttcrack of dawn every morning...

Secret squirrel jobs are fun, though. At least you can take a camera into work to get fun pictures of your outfits for us! Tom can't take *any* recordable device into work, which means he can't even take an iPod in, let alone a cell phone or CD.

Now it is night. Night is not a time for play. Night is a time for sleep. All the dogs go to sleep.

(I read too many kids' books.)

Kara
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Jessie, thanks for the recipe, it sounds wonderful. And it's the vinegar type of bbq like from North Carolina, not the tomatoey bbq. My mom's from NC so I was raised on vinegar bbq. I'll definitely try this. I wonder how it would be with a leaner cut of meat.

Femme, I hope I have an easier time of it! She is, I'm assured by MIL, quiet, not picky, agreeable, easy to please, just the all around perfect child (read with sarcasm). Although most of that's probably true, it's a little hard to take from MIL.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #23  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandkara View Post
Nessa, do you work for the secret undersecretary of the unnamed office of secretness?

Sounds like you have to allot an extra hour to just get INTO work! No wonder you're up at the buttcrack of dawn every morning...

Secret squirrel jobs are fun, though. At least you can take a camera into work to get fun pictures of your outfits for us! Tom can't take *any* recordable device into work, which means he can't even take an iPod in, let alone a cell phone or CD.

Now it is night. Night is not a time for play. Night is a time for sleep. All the dogs go to sleep.

(I read too many kids' books.)

Kara
actually i'm NOT supposed to have a camera in here but they don't look that hard...

I do network security for Social Security Administration

oh and Go Dog Go is my favorite kid's book
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #24  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Schmoodle, I was wondering if you could make the BBQ with pork tenderloin...someone try it and let me know!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #25  

Good morning ladies....I better post more or I will always be the newbie!!!! I really could use an opinion from you fellow beachers.... how do you think Sb would work with Alli? I think I eat enough healthy fats to have a problem maybe... If I eat like a phase 2 SB with a bit more carbs and watch the fats do you guys think that would work?? I know some of you guys dont think Alli is a great assist but I still may want to try it...but I dont want to follow their specific diet. They do give you calorie limits and fats per meal/day etc for week 1,2 and finally 3, which is back up to about 30% fat per day. So what do you guys think????
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #26  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieW View Post
Schmoodle, I was wondering if you could make the BBQ with pork tenderloin...someone try it and let me know!!!
that's what i was wondering.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #27  

Jesse - that does sound good. I use the crockpot pulled pork recipe that is posted here. It's really easy since I just use the Kraft South Beach BBQ sauce with it and I can get it started before I go in to work. Yours is probably better though. Does Splenda work for the sugar on the pork as well as in the sauce?

Nessa - Love the outfit! We're not allowed cameras or camera cellphones in our office either. I thought it was tough to get in here (secured gate where I use badge/car tag, turnstile where I use badge, building door where I use badge, next building door where I use badge and number) and there are several places where I can't get in (like where the servers are). Yours is much more difficult. One guy suggested we meet at my office for me to give him something he left at camp. I just laughed and drove to his nonsecure warehouse to drop it off!

schmoodle - Good luck with your niece! I remember being a hormonal 14 year old and I don't think I would have wanted to inflict myself on anyone for that long. Actually, though, most kids are better behaved when they aren't home. Does she have specific interests or things she wants to see? I'm sure there is stuff she can't do at home.

Kara - I felt like I lived in separates for the longest time! I nursed Brian until he was three but the last year or so was just at bedtime. Now I look back on that fondly (but not fondly enough to have another kid ) Good night!

Kiko - Our yard badly needs to be mowed but it just doesn't seem to stop raining long enough! I almost went out and did it on the 4th before the rain started but I just didn't feel like spending a holiday mowing. I saw pictures on TV this morning of the Little Elm bridge (3 inches above water). This rain is unreal! It sounds like it might be better on Sunday for DH's birthday. We're talking about visiting the Ft. Worth museum where they have a Star Wars exhibit visiting.

femme - I love the French Quarter! We used to go at least once a year when DH's dad was alive and living at the Naval Retirement home in Gulfport. Brian loved the aquarium and the zoo was fun too. And I loved the food. That was before I went on South Beach though.

weezle - Have fun at the pool! Remember your sunscreen! My dermatologist told me that freckles are signs of skin damage and increase the risk of melanoma (which I am at a high risk for) I lived in the sun as a kid in Florida.

pacer - Good luck at home! You have my prayers. I'm on my third marriage and know how stressing it is when homelife is not fun.

Betty - Take it easy and let the toe heel. I can remember after toe surgery having to keep it dry and it might be hard to exercise then.

Ruth - This is the first year since we bought this house over 10 years ago that we haven't had a vegetable garden planted. I just didn't have time with preparing for camp. I'll need to work on the weeds in the bed so I can get a fall garden in. It's been such a wet year that it's been hard to work in the yard.

cottage - Have fun! It must be hard to be responsible for more kids than hands but it sounds like you do it so well. I am in awe of you!

Me - I did make it to the gym yesterday. It had definitely been far too long! And with being on phase 1 for 5 days, I am down 3 pounds! I should have gone back to phase 1 sooner. It has made such a huge difference in the cravings that I didn't even realize I had.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #28  

That's why I rejoined the gym when I started on South Beach. In a normal summer, it is too hot to exercise much outside in Texas (this summer we haven't had our normal 100 degree days but it's been too wet to exercise outside). Check out city recreation centers as they might be cheaper than a gym.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #29  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstambler View Post
Good morning ladies....I better post more or I will always be the newbie!!!! I really could use an opinion from you fellow beachers.... how do you think Sb would work with Alli? I think I eat enough healthy fats to have a problem maybe... If I eat like a phase 2 SB with a bit more carbs and watch the fats do you guys think that would work?? I know some of you guys dont think Alli is a great assist but I still may want to try it...but I dont want to follow their specific diet. They do give you calorie limits and fats per meal/day etc for week 1,2 and finally 3, which is back up to about 30% fat per day. So what do you guys think????
what do you mean by "a bit more carbs" and 'watch the fats" would you give up salmon? salad dressings? roasted oiled veggies?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #30  
ONEderland here I come!

Barb, Yay for making the gym!
Closed Thread