Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #16  

If you don't want to cook them all night but you don't want to get up in the middle of the night to turn on the crockpot, buy one of those little timers like you can use to turn the christmas lights on and off. Just plug the crockpot into it and set it for the time you want it to turn on.

Isn't it about six hours this should cook?
grapelighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #17  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

We eat steel cut oats every morning. Here's a very simple way to prepare them (I use Irish style from Trader Joe's). Note: These are not flakes like regular oatmeal, but hard little nuggets of oats. If you're not familiar with this kind of oats, steel cut oats have a much firmer, nuttier, consistency when cooked than regular oatmeal.

Put 1 cup of steel cut oats in a large saucepan, add 4 cups of cold water (if you like, you can add dried cranberries or raisins at this point.) Bring to a boil, stiring occasionally, immediately turn off heat and put lid on saucepan. Leave on top of stove overnight with lid on (don't forget to turn off heat!) The next morning give it a stir, scoop some into a bowl and heat in microwave for 1 minute. Add a splash of milk and sugar or sweetener to taste.

If you like it thicker, just use 3-1/2 cups of water instead of 4. Refrigerate the rest - it will keep for several days.

Last edited by penpal; 05-08-2006 at 11:03 PM.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #18  

Thanks Penny! I tried your method and have been eating them all week for breakfast. It worked out great, and they are good! I'm an oat lover anyway, so I was pretty sure I'd like them however they are fixed. I do have a hard time trying to sweeten them though. I don't want to use too much sweetener, but I can never seem to get them sweet enough! I'm not a big milk user so I've just tried honey or brown sugar and sf maple syrup.

cindymomtwo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #19  
Hang on little root!!

S/C/G: 164/146/132

Height: 5'5"

You're a genius! My husband will love this!
reanbean is offline   Reply With Quote