Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

Question Sonoma Critics?

I've been doing the Sonoma Diet for almost three months now and I'm very happy with the results. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences or read any reviews that would cause concern. I would love to hear what you have to say.
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #2  

Good going on being on the plan for three months. I personally haven't read of any negative things about the plan, other than some people calling it a Sugar Busters or South beach rip off. The Med diet, which this is based upon has had numerous studies over the years that have proved, at least to me, how healthy this plan is.

All I need is to take a look at my life now and how I was several years ago. I convince myself that this is right for me. With every plan, there always are going to be naysayers if you look hard enough. IMHO the best people to decide what is right for you are you and your doctor. And my doctor agreed that this is a wonderful plan.. and is very please with all of my improved tests.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT
I personally haven't read of any negative things about the plan, other than some people calling it a Sugar Busters or South beach rip off. The Med diet, which this is based upon has had numerous studies over the years that have proved, at least to me, how healthy this plan is.
Unbelieveable that someone would think it was a 'rip off' from South Beach or Sugar Busters. I bought the book several days ago as I was curious to the specifics and wanted to be able to communicate with friends over here on the Sonoma. I haven't finished the book yet but it is quite clear that it is a plan to help people adjust to Mediterranean. Mediterranean has been around for quite awhile. Not just the lifestyle itself but the "coined" word we use in the States to describe this way of living.

When I finish the book, I'll come back and post again.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #4  

I don't know anything about Sugar Busters, but I tried South Beach and fell off of it after about two weeks. I've been on Sonoma for two months and love it.
SheilaF328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/158/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinking Mama
I've been doing the Sonoma Diet for almost three months now and I'm very happy with the results. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences or read any reviews that would cause concern. I would love to hear what you have to say.
I just started the Sonoma Diet on Monday and to be honest with you, I am starved all the time..I just wanted to lose 10-15 pounds, have been following the Atkins lifestyle for a year now and really missed fruits..Has anyone else had this experience? And I really miss my coffee too..I like artificial sweeteners and half and half..
dietingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietingforlife
I just started the Sonoma Diet on Monday and to be honest with you, I am starved all the time..I just wanted to lose 10-15 pounds, have been following the Atkins lifestyle for a year now and really missed fruits..Has anyone else had this experience? And I really miss my coffee too..I like artificial sweeteners and half and half..
Welcome to the forum. The first thing you really need to ask yourself is " Am I honestly and truly gut rumbling hungry, or am I just wanting "something to eat"? or is it just the fact I am not stuffed for a change"? I know for me the hardest thing was understanding that not every meal is suppose to make you feel full. There is a big difference in being "full" versus being satisfied. If you honestly are hungry have more veggies. It's really hard to over do the vegetables, IMHO.

You don't have to give up coffee and if you cannot give up art sweeteners, then don't. Use them sparingly. Some people have a really severe sugar habit and need to avoid everything sweet, real or otherwise for the 10 day period to help rid themselves of the sugar cravings. If you don't have this issue, then don't do without small portions. I use a couple of Tablespoons of evaporated skim milk in my coffee as well as a little sugar free Torani syrup when I am at home and it works fine for me.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/158/125

Height: 5'2"

no, I am gut rumbling hungry..And even with Atkins, I didn't over do my food at all, to be stuffed all the time..I honestly am starved all the time, to the point it has woken me up to eat to relieve it..
Diabetes runs in my family, so I rely on the artificial sweeteners..thanks for the evap. skim milk thought. I'll give it a try if I decide to stay with Sonoma.
dietingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #8  
Thursday Lady

Be sure you're eating your snacks.
The 11 almonds really did fill me for a snack, as crazy as that sounds.
Drink at least 8 glasses of water, too.
I just finished Wave 1. I also truly missed my fruits. The first thing I did yesterday was to go out and buy blueberries and strawberries.
By all means, drink your coffee.
btw -- I lost 4 pounds on Wave 1 and I'm so happy.

Tina
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #9  

I am finishing up my ten days with Sonoma tomorrow. I've lost some weight and I'm doing aerobics. I'm getting ready to buy my fruit!!!! YEAH!!!! I'm looking forward to be reunited with my fruit.
Cyl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #10  

I thought it was a dead diet here; because when i come here it dont seem to be active as it used to..
I have the book. I will give it another read.
Adeela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #11  
sabrina

Hello all,
Im so glad I found this site. I started the Sonoma diet 5 days ago. I have read the whole book and am constantly referring back to it.....I call it my "FOOD BIBLE"! So far so good. I am very happy with the menues and the recipes are great. This sounds kind of crazy.......but, my mind says I am full, cuz' my plate is loaded with food, lots of veggies! But my stomach is honestly growling and grumbling all the time!!!!! But, I am sticking to this, I havent cheated at all. Does this feeling go away? Does anyone know if you can stay on the Wave I plan for more than 10 days? I am heading to Vegas on June 11th and am planning on staying on this Wave until then. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
sawdusthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #12  
Thursday Lady

There's nothing that says you can't stay on Wave 1 for more than 10 days. My opinion, staying on it until June 11th sounds really difficult. You are having a hard time now. Adding some fruit really does help. Now, are you getting in all your snacks? I found that the 11 almonds were a life saver.
Hope this helps.
Tina
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #13  
Cindy

Everyone is different, but I think fruit makes sense very early on - there's a big difference in my mind between fruit and sugar.

But I totally learned a lot from Sonoma, I tend to reject rules in general, but getting in touch with portion sizes, the great combos with whole grains, yummy proteins and interesting vegies - it's all great stuff.

I've done terrifically well with it, I am on Wave 3 now for sure and I let a lot of whatevers wander in from time to time, but it's a great general center to return to for healthful eating.
CindyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #14  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I finished reading the Sonoma book and have to say that I am very impressed. It is a good template for someone who wants to eat more Mediterranean and is written in a smooth enjoyable style. I am excited to try some of the recipes also.

The only thing that I wasn't comfortable with was the menu plans. Most of the dinners seem to be centered around meat. I realize that the portion sizes are smaller than what most American households eat now, but it still seems a bit much for Mediterranean.

Still, I like the flexibility of the plan. It is rigid enough for people who need to have everything set out for them, yet flexible for those who want to take the basic idea and plan their own meals.

It was worth the $25. I only wish a similar book had been available years ago as it would have made a perfect present for someone I know.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
The only thing that I wasn't comfortable with was the menu plans. Most of the dinners seem to be centered around meat. I realize that the portion sizes are smaller than what most American households eat now, but it still seems a bit much for Mediterranean.
That's one issue I have with the Sonoma plan that really differs from traditional "Med" style eating. Most of the Med articles I have read seem to feel limiting the consumption of animal flesh to around 1 pound a week total. While I haven't attained that goal, I do eat quite a bit of soy based products as well as bean dishes to try and get some of my protein from alternate sources. I think the Sonoma book is trying a "happy medium" approach as most Americans still eat a lot of meat and their approach is sort of in between the tradiational way of eating and what would be considered true Med. And yes this is IMHO YMMV