Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #49

Good morning ladies. It is 72 right now and going to get up to 87 today. Jack turned 70 today and left at 5:30 this morning so he could buy 6 dozen assorted donuts to take to work for his birthday. I imagine all the workers loved that.

I have been working on the baby blanket, but my hands have been hurting lately so haven’t progressed as far as I’d like. I have a schedule to get it done and I’m a bit behind.

I ordered this cute sterling silver thin cuff bracelet for my bff. It is simple but it says, “You are the Ethel to my Lucy.” Well, it was supposed to say that. She got it and it was reversed. Ir was shipped from China so I figured I’d never get them to replace it, but they are so now we’ll both have one. Mine will be the one she currently has, “You are the Lucy to my Ethel.” Don’t know how long it will take to get is as this one took about a month.

CeeJay: Does your bil have a lot of vomiting and such or is it more weakness? I watched this cute video where this baby was sitting in the refrigerator with the door open and her dad is trying to get her out. I think he was a police officer because he kept telling her she was to, “exit the refrigerator.” She baby babble a bunch back to him like she was arguing with him. He finally said, “get out” and she stood up, walked to the edge of the fridge, looked around the corner, babbled something and climbed back in the fridge. It was hilarious. Mom will have her hands full once she gets crawling.

Jean: Technically you are locked in, but there is an attendant there that will let anyone out that needs to. We do the trivia things too. We did a geography one but it was where is this building or church or whatever and it was places I’d never heard of. We were on a team and one lady was a huge traveler and knew most of them. Sounds like you have turned the fall corner for sure. I hate that it now gets dark so early. I’m still using the AC!

Have a good day everyone.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! It’s a gloomy, windy, misty, cold 46 degree day in my neighborhood. I was hungry for a casserole so made a quick trip to the store to pick up what I needed. I am the proud (???) owner of a new stove. I tried to bake brownies a few days ago and the oven temperature was up and down the whole time. I don’t know if it is because this oven is new or what, but it kept making little noises while it was baking. The temperature stayed the same so that was good. I think the hummingbirds have finally moved on. Yesterday at lunch bunch, another gal said she hadn’t seen any for a couple days. I got to meet our new next door neighbors yesterday. They are a retired farm couple moving to town. They will be leaving for Arizona, to spend the winter, the day after Thanksgiving. Their son lives up the street so guess we won’t have to housesit for them.

Ceejay, chemo is so strange. It’s nice of you to spend time with your bil. The gal who plays bells with us just finished six weeks of radiation and chemo at the same time. After a couple days, after the last treatment, she has no pain and feels good. She looks good, says she can eat nonstop, and has energy to burn. When she first started chemo a year ago, she got so sick she ended up in the hospital. Bad stuff! She goes back to Mayo at the end of the month for full body and organ scans to make a decision about possible, very risky surgery.

“Gma,” Happy Birthday to Jack! Did you bake him a cake? What a nice guy to take birthday donuts to work! You are lucky your friend got the bracelet from China. I’ve been getting a lot of shoe ads on FB; assume they are from China since they are brands I’ve never heard of. Either way I delete the ads as fast as they appear. Bob offered supper out after bell choir last night so it was almost 7 when we finished. Walking to the car we both commented at the same how dark it was. I wish they would pick one or the other and leave it year around. I think we change back the first weekend in November. Thank you for starting the new thread.

I have some dishes to wash and church cards to address so better get to it. I’d really rather take a nap! Hope you enjoy the rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

gm22
Happy birthday to Jack. Your friend is so lucky to have you. What a nice idea for the bracelet! Bil was sick a lot when he started chemo. But now it's just being in a fog. I can see Olive doing that in a couple of months.

Jean
My area has been in the 40's today with a brisk wind. I'm loving i the temps not the wind. Finally turned the heat on Wednesday when I was here briefly when BIL was in chemo.
We had thunderstorms all day yesterday. So I stayed in the house after I got back from Branson. Just barely made it home before they started.

-------------
Today I had some errands to run. I finally got my flu shot and then went to a neighboring town to the DMV to get my car tags. I'm going to try to put them on myself. Then I made a WM run. I also scouted out the recycle area that is closer to my house but my goodness it is way out in the boonies. But I will probably use it cause it is closer. I may check on a pick up bend for the house. I will mainly have paper and plastic.
I haven't felt 100% this week. I've had a couple of rounds of IBS and my intestines feel like they are on fire
A choir member approached me with a book that they are practicing for the Christmas program. I'm still undecided on whether to do this. I'll have to miss two Wednesday's out of the month because of bil and then my trip to Arkansas. But I suppose I will give it a try.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #4  

I don’t know where yesterday’s post went, but oh well. Definitely fall weather moved in. It’s party sunny today. Jack’s out to get his haircut. His haircut/cruise countdown is down to 5. He says it seems shorter that way.

Gonna fix ham and scalloped potatoes tonight I think. We haven’t had that in awhile. I bought this chili base stuff I want to try soon. I bought a jar of ham, chili, mushroom, and turkey base. I use their chicken and beef all the time instead of broth. They advertise it on tv all the time.

Well I hear the trash down the street is racing their cars again. They had their music thumping late last night again.

Jean: Hope you have a nice day. I have a friend that lives in Bismarck and got socked with an ice and snowstorm. Are you likely to get snow? I have a friend who lives in INDIANA and they took the family to DisneyWorld last week. Came home to weather under freezing. We are going to have weird stuff again this year I think. Nope no cake. Kind of tempting to have cake around here. We had Olive Garden last night and as I was doing an online order and noticed they had a new dessert for fall. Choc crumb crust, pumpkin cheesecake, brownie then chocolate topping. Weird combination.

CeeJay: Do you get whole tags every year? We just get our little stickers every year and can pay it online. Jack is supposed to put mine on today. The city recycles, but our condos are not city trash pickup so the company doesn’t recycle. A lot of stuff in Branson is out in the boonies. When we visited there once we found a bake shop out in the middle of no where and wondered how they did any business.

Well should get some lunch.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon! It's another breezy gloomy day in my neighborhood. Bells played well this morning except for one glitch. The airhead, inconsiderate drama queen (she is the theater professor at the local college) didn't show up! Her phone went to voice mail and the director's husband even went to her house. No text message, no answer at the door, nothing. She is always late to practice, usually by a half hour, and then gives us a blow by blow on the latest productions going on around the area. She drives me crazy! I don't have to stand by her which is good. The one piece had the melody with chimes (her's!) so the director played her part which left the rest of us hanging. The breakfast restaurant was super busy so we opted for an early lunch at another place. I've read the newspaper, done some laundry, and balanced the checkbook. Bob and Jason braved the football game Friday; 33 degrees, very windy and with snow flurries but a short winning game for 40-0. The sideline players did have stadium capes to wear! I felt sorry for the other team! Amanda got the live stream on the computer so we were toasty warm!

Ceejay, we have to have flu shots in order to work/volunteer at the hospital. They give them to us free and usually in October but just got my notice and this year they are in November. Rainy cooler days always make me feel cold. The furnace has been merrily humming away! If you would enjoy being a part of the Christmas program, I think you should do it! Hope your innards have settled down and you feel better.

”Gma,” scalloped potatoes and ham sounds so good! Our Sunday night supper is usually popcorn; that was from my family while Bob’s mom always made pizza. It was a hit with me when we were dating and I lived in the dorm. Thank you for the birthday wishes! I have a new stove, two new winter coats, a new pair of shoes, and a crystal cat sun catcher to hang in my window. Otherwise it has been a ho hum kind of day. It is supposed to be warming up and sunny for the next few days according to the weather lady. Farmers will be happy!

Bob has the weekend "off" since the farmer's grandson can drive the combine and the farmer could drive the semi to the elevator. One elevator is buying wet corn with no penalty so farmers line wagons and semis, up the night before, then leave and go home. Farmer friend got up at 4:30 to get there early then was fifth in line. He was not happy!

I need to check the dryer and fold towels if they are done. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening!

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #6  

gma22
I can usually get my stickers through the mail but this year I had to get new license plates. I get them for 2 years at a time. Yum on the potatoes and ham. I was thinking about that the other day. I'm making spaghetti for tomorrow.
Jean
Not sure when the birthday was but happy birthday. After I discussed it with the bil and told him I couldn't put forth 100% into choir, he said that 40% was good enough. And on that note I'll try next Sunday to get there early enough for choir practice.
------------
Didn't think about playing piano this morning for opening but J wasn't there so it was me. I told MJ that I could play with one hand. My thumb is still not letting me use it for practicing. But we made it. Guess I could practice the bass notes with the left hand. Doc told me I could improvise.
Nephew is coming home tomorrow. Not really ready for this but I guess I will endure. I'm planning on spending some time with sis next week also. Not even sure who is picking him up from the airport.
I'm feeling better but still some minor issues.
I'm going to winterize the house tomorrow and cut the lawn for the last time I hope. We had a very heavy frost on Friday morning.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon! It's a 30 mph wind kind of day and it blew the morning sunshine somewhere else. I had to make the gift shop deposit this morning and drop checks off at the hospital. Bob offered to cook lunch so we ate at an excellent restaurant/bar place. The younger crowd hangs out there at night and the police make regular visits. I've washed and dried a load of farming clothes so that is my accomplishment since lunch. I should get out the vacuum and go after the fur bunnies. Maybe I'll read my book first for a few minutes.

Ceejay, we get our license plates for ten years (I think) but get a renewal sticker every year. Each year is a different color and some not-so-smart wise guys “decorate” around the edge of the plate. The instructions are how to take the old off and apply the new one in the lower left corner. Thank you for the birthday wishes. It was Sunday. Bob had singing practice yesterday and word has it that the “no show ringer” still hasn’t been seen nor heard from. My comment was I wondered if anyone had gone into the house; maybe something happened and they were dead. Then I would feel bad about my evil comments. Did your doctor call your thumb a trigger digit? The cortisone shot has mine back to 100% now. The frost took care of my flowers except my favorite geranium which Bob put in the garage. I’d like to bring it in the house but don’t know if it would get enough light.

I need to get busy; will vacuum first then read! Hope you are enjoying a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 10-15-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #8  

Morning
I picked up my nephew at the airport on Monday and he's with me for the time being. It's beginning to get on my nerves. But he goes back to work, same place, tomorrow so I will have the house to myself until he gets home then he goes to AA. This morning he went to an out patient therapy session. I'm going to retire to my bedroom after that so I will be okay this week. Just can't let it bother me. He is more calm than before so that's good. And they, he and his wife, have been talking so that's another big plus. She invited him for lunch the day he got back. She has had an offer on the house at full price. And my understanding is that they may go back together in a couple of weeks. I'm praying for that cause it sure has been rocky for them.
I've decided to join choir. A friend is picking me up for practice tonight.
I called and checked on my insurance as I had some questions about that but I'm keeping the same policy as I have. I was curious about the hospital coverage. One never knows and I want to be on top of things.
I want to take some things to the recycle center today, clean my car.
Have a good day.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-16-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #9  

Good Morning! We got up to rain but the sun is out now. Yesterday was terribly windy but sunny. We left early enough to go to the Homecoming parade and see both kids marching in the bands. The high school band is first and when they get to the end, football players pass off their instruments and run back to the football float which is almost at the end of the parade. For a small town the local and area businesses enter either a float, or a fancy pickup/car/truck and toss candy to the kids. Last year every grade, preK-12 either walked and cheered/sang, or teams road on floats. The town has grown so much that this year it was cut to 7-12 plus team floats. They had four businesses tailgating before the game; wonderful food choices for everyone. We managed to sit in front of the press box so wasn't in the direct wind, it wasn't real cold, and the best thing was they won 43-0. Ian has a couple plays good enough to have his name announced. The other team traveled 2 1/2 hours and I felt bad for them not to get a score. They had quite a few fans attend which surprised me. I have laundry going and need to put together a short program for P.E.O. on Monday. Covered bridges was a suggested topic but I am going to do Halloween. Bob sings at church tomorrow and we have card club tomorrow night. I subbed in two different card groups this past week and met some new gals I didn't know. It was fun but I didn't get much done at home.

Ceejay, I hope everything works out for your nephew both on his job and with his wife. It will take effort for both he and his wife to make their marriage work. Meanwhile, you hang in there! I hope you enjoy being part of the choir. I wish I could sing!

I need to get busy and accomplish something this morning. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!
Old 10-20-2019, 01:36 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! It was supposed to be raining by now but so far just cloudy. It's a little breezy but not cold. We've been to church and out for breakfast. Bob just left for the farm. I need to change clothes and work on my Halloween program for tomorrow.

I'm off to be productive! Enjoy your day!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM   #11  

Another beautiful Fall evening.
I went to church this morning. Choir practice first then Sunday school then Bil preached this morning. But he was tired afterwards. But we went out to eat and then went to visit with the boys and baby. We got to see baby Olive at church and lunch. My she is growing so fast. And is crawling. After lunch we went to visit with the boys and their baby sister. This baby is growing too. Nephew was at the house and had the baby. I think his wife is beginning to see that she needs some help. He spent the night Friday night and tonight he came home and packed an over night bag just in case he is to spend the night. I got a feeling he will spend the night. He's going to let her sleep tonight and he will take care of the boys and the baby.
Have a good rest of the evening.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #12  

We had a potent thunderstorm that came through around 1.20 a.m. this morning. A big clap of thunder shook the house and rattled the window in the bedroom. And the power went out. That was my first experience with the power being out since I've lived in Missouri. The wind blew hard and the rain was fierce. My neighbor has some limbs down from his Bradford pear tree but the only thing I've seen is that my Ash tree is now minus all it's leaves.
Today is bil's 9th chemo session. I'll pick him up later and take him to Branson.
I'm almost packed for my trip to Arkansas. I'm getting excited. While there I'm going to try and see my two living uncles.
Have a good day. I've got to put some clothes in the dryer.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #13  

Good morning to you. Very chilly here this morning. We’ve finally moved into fall temps I think. We had a heck of a storm yesterday morning. There is a mess to clean up and get power back to people. It blew stuff all over the place on our deck. I think they said the winds were 60 mph. Guess it’s time to get out jackets.

I broke down and bought some expensive no show socks. We’ll see if I like them or not. I wear socks in the house all the time. I have never been one to wear shoes in my homes, but my doctor encourages me wearing something on my feet. I do not have neuropathy, but it is a concern and supposedly it can cause loss of feeling in the foot. Anyway these socks supposedly are very comfortable.

CeeJay: Hopefully this rehab will stick for your nephew and he’ll straighten himself out. Who will do chemo duty while you’re gone? Have a great time in AR. Where does your friends and family live there? I have family that live in Van Buren, Russellville, Mulberry. My sister’s husband lived in Mulberry until he joined the Marines.

Jean: Don’t feel bad, my first thought was the same thing about the bell ringer. I sure hope they’re ok. How did your Halloween presentation go?

Everyone have a good day.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:49 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the it is very windy again today. Leaves are falling like crazy without even turning colors. I was gone most of yesterday; counted, looked for $25 we were "off" but never found it and posted church money most of the morning, picked up the gift shop money, went to P.E.O. right after lunch, and then card club last night. I was more than ready for bed when I got home. This morning I went to get my nails filled, returned a book to the library, and counted the gift shop money visiting the bank after lunch. The washer is doing its job and I am ready for a break. Hope you are enjoying a nice day in your corner of the world!

Ceejay, I will think positive thoughts for your nephew and his family while you are away! I’m sure you are more than ready for your trip and I hope you have a wonderful time! It will be nice if you can visit your uncles. I’m sure they would enjoy seeing your too. Keep in touch while you are gone if you can.

”Gma,” we have had all the different kinds of weather in the last month; makes me wonder what our winter will be like. I was glad to see your post today! I’ve never heard of no show socks but hope they work for you. Ever since I broke my last toe I always wear shoes of some sort. The airhead bell ringer had the wrong date on her calendar and was out of town the weekend we played. She was the first one at practice last week and the first one out the door afterwards. She had written on the board,”To my fellow bell ringers, I am a ding dong!” I thought to myself, you got that right and then some! Everyone laughed at the meeting yesterday when I said I thought covered bridges would be boring, if you’d seen one you had seen them all and I was going to talk about Halloween. I didn’t know the history of the Jack-o-lantern and several others said they didn’t either. Funny part was that the holiday book I got from the library and Google pretty much had the same information.

I need to do a few dishes and put away my gift shop paperwork. Hope you both enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #15  

gma
I love the no show socks. They are very comfortable. I do wear my shoes inside because of the wood floors. I have a fear of falling at my age.
Jean
I will try to keep in touch while on vacation.

I got a message from MRC about when I will back in the center. And told them that I would not be purchasing more time. I'm really not interested any more.
I joined a gym last year with my Silver Sneakers while I was in Branson. I was curious yesterday to see if my card still worked. It did. I needed to work off some excess energy.
My nephew's wife called me to see if I were home and told her I was in Branson and she told me that my nephew did not go to work yesterday. She went over to the house to talk to him. I told my sis when she got home from work and she called to check on him. He was struggling Monday night. Tuesday he went in to talk to his physciatrist and he put him on a new med to help him curb the cravings more. I really think he is trying.
The weather has been cooler since the big storm Monday morning. Found out through the news that the wind from the storm was from a tornado about a mile over from me, and the reason the power went off was from 4 broken steel utility poles. Tomorrow is not going to be a good driving day either. It will be raining, cold and windy. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 49.
Bil is really suffering this morning. He goes back to get his pump off this afternoon and the he wil start to feel a bit better.

Last edited by ceejay52; 10-23-2019 at 09:50 AM.