Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #1  
Junior SUPER Member ;)

S/C/G: 260/255/150

Height: 5'5"

Question I'm new, and I need some support.

Hi, My name is Patricia. I weigh more than I have ever weighed in my life- I think it's around 250, but I stopped getting on the scale a long time ago to save myself the heartache and remain in denial. Denial and avoidance is a comfortable place for me. My husband and I have been married for 6 years, and haven't been able to conceive a child. I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome after a 10cm cyst was discovered on my ovary during an ER visit. We are planning on doing IVF, but until I do I need to get my body down to a healthy weight. Problem is.... I have NO idea where to begin. I've never really "dieted" before, and I have heard that most forms of dieting are unhealthy anyway. I want to completely re-vamp my eating habits and relationship with food, but I don't know how. I can't afford to pay for a weight loss program, as every extra penny we have is going toward our IVF Fund. (It's $15,000!) When I did my grocery shopping this month I bumbled around the store, checking labels and buying everything high protein, low sugar...(PCOS thrives on sugar) but I just feel lost. Help!!!
WannaBeAMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #2  
Junior SUPER Member ;)

S/C/G: 260/255/150

Height: 5'5"

Oops. Didn't mean to post this twice! Sorry!
WannaBeAMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #3  

I have been using Myfitnesspal.com to track my calories. I am surprised at how easy it has been. Their database for food is amazing ... you can also look at other people's daily food diaries to get some idea of what they are eating. You can add me as a friend if you decide to do this. Just do a search for zoeydoggie and request to add me.
zoeydoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Well, do you want to do exchanges or calorie count? It's up to you.

You can cruise thru some of the nutrition summaries at the PCOS articles area here.

Or post on the PCOS forum here.

Take it one step at a time. Replacing whatever you drink with water is a simple start.

Welcome!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #5  
Chug-chuggin' on

S/C/G: 171/156/130

Height: 5'3 and 3/4''

Pick up this book: Fitness Made Simple. I came across it a local library and later bought my own copy. It's what I'm using. What the author preaches in that book are the basics - simple exercises, simple meal plans, simple ideas. He did all the legwork for us; we just gotta apply ourselves. If at first you can't do the exercises or they seem like too much, then start with following as best you can the nutrition plan. Later you can add in a morning walk (which you do after you wake up and before you have breakfast), working your way up to 40-50 minutes of walking.

Seriously, this is the best help I've come across. I'm losing weight at a healthy rate for my body type/weight, too.

Good luck!! I'll PM you my e-mail.
CallMeTraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/247/150

Hello! I think that you have the right idea about "dieting." As someone who has gained and lost weight, I will tell you that after a "diet" it can be easy to put those pounds back on! I follow the "Blood Type" diet, but it is merely a guideline of the foods that are good for my body type. I will tell you what has worked for me in the past and currently is working for me is to only put things into your body that are natural foods. Basically, if there is a huge list of ingredients on the back, DON'T EAT IT! I am not saying eat all organic or anything, but just put things into your body that you know are not over processed. I don't eat anything that has high fructose corn syrup or wheat. When you are giving your body all of the right nutrients, you are not as hungry because your body is getting all that it needs. That makes it easy to cut portions sizes. I start small by making small changes for cutting portions, because I like to eat! One thing that I did was replace butter on my rice toast with organic, reduced sugar jam. It's the little things! Also, exercise for me is key. If I don't exercise, I lose no weight. Those people that can just diet and lose weight baffle me, and I am secretly a bit jealous! LOL! Well, hope this helps a little!

Last edited by Marie14; 02-10-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Marie14 is offline   Reply With Quote