Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Default Dance Dance Revolution vs. Wii

So I'm looking for some fun ways to work out since I can't seem to get motivated right now to go to the gym and work out. I really would like something fun to do that doesn't feel like such a chore. I'm a gamer and competitive so I thought that DDR or the Wii would be a good solution for me. Both take money so I'd like some advice.

I have a PS2 but I don't have a DDR pad nor the game. I do not have a Wii at all.

For those that have either or both, what type for person do you think would enjoy DDR or the Wii games?

Which seems to give a better workout?

I've been reading the info in the Wii thread and I'm glad for it! Just trying to decide between the options.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #2  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Height: 5'4"

So far, I would think the DDR would be the better workout. I can do most songs on regular or hard, and oh man, is it a workout.

I think the Wii is fun, and you can get some workout value, but overall, I would go for the PS2. Maybe go try out DDR first at an arcade. I would recommend the Extreme 2 - I love the song list. I also buy the thicker foam pads off eBay so it lasts longer and it's a better experience.

There are some nice Wii games, though. I have Wii Fit Plus and it's fun. Jillian Michaels 2010. Just Dance. I have Your Shape and need to try it. I forget what else.

Maybe you could rent a Wii at Blockbuster or find a friend who will let you try it out. Same with DDR. Then you can see what's the best for YOU
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #3  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I just got Just Dance for the Wii and I am hooked. I like how you use your whole body. I also have DDR and although it's pretty fun, I find myself annoyed by it more than anything. Also, I'm not working my upper body as much. Still, if you asked me to pick what I thought was better, I couldn't. I love them both!
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  

I don't have wii fit( just regular wii) though I would like to try it. However I do have the DDR on PS2, OMG such fun!!! The songs are quite challenging and really fun. My heart rate really goes up on the heavy songs. Body is all over the place.
RedRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #5  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

The biggest question is what would motivate you to keep playing? I love DDR because I work up such a sweat but only feel like I'm playing a game. I find that I'm having so much fun that I don't even realize how long I've been playing. Wii workout games are more like an interactive workout video. My favorite one so far is the Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing. I enjoy many of the other games and feel great after using them, but I prefer something that feels more like a game.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

Talina, I think for now I am looking for more of a game. Something that I get so engrossed in that it doesn't feel like I'm "working out". I also want something challenging enough that it keeps my interest. I can be really competitive!

I think from the responses it would be better for me to try DDR especially since it is going to be a lot cheaper than getting a Wii plus games. That could really hurt if I don't like it!

Thank you all so much for the advice!

Now does anyone have any advice on specific DDR pads? Something that will stand up to assault from my 240 pound body?

Last edited by Renwomin; 03-25-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #7  
Cute and Chubby

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I have had my PS2 origional DDR pad for years now and it's still wonderful. They are made pretty well now and are pretty cheap to replace.
MikoMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #8  

I agree with Talina if its not fun, I'll get bored with it easily. DDR is just that, to me anyway. That was the only reason I didn't go all out for the wii fit, if it feels like a workout I'll view it as a chore, and therefore become unmotivated.

I have the 1" thick foam pad, it only cost about $50 shipping included when I bought it last year. Since your just starting out there are other pads like $20 or so. I've even seen some offer with buy one get one free. Keep us posted on your experience.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/149/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Wii Dance

I am thinking about the Wii Dance too. It sounds fun. I love my Wii but apparently I am not doing enough aerobics as I don't seem to be losing weight. Still, it's a lot of fun and I am not gaining!
Cindy_Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #10  
Slowly getting there

I'm thinking about getting a new pad for my PS2 games. I never kept up playing them because I didn't like the pad that came with Max 2 (I think that's the one I got the pad with). It always moved around so I wouldn't hit the correct arrows. I really liked the Wii pad, but the songs just don't do it for me as much.

RedRock - How do you like your pad? Does it work well on carpet?
Old 03-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talina View Post
I'm thinking about getting a new pad for my PS2 games. I never kept up playing them because I didn't like the pad that came with Max 2 (I think that's the one I got the pad with). It always moved around so I wouldn't hit the correct arrows. I really liked the Wii pad, but the songs just don't do it for me as much.

RedRock - How do you like your pad? Does it work well on carpet?
Talina I LOVE the 1in thick foam pad. I did a lot of research when it came to buying the pad. I didn't want something cheap nor outrageously expensive since I am not that competitive, so the foam seemed like a great in between match. Which it is.

It works quite well on the carpet every now and again it "creeps" but I play "heavy" songs too.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #12  
Slowly getting there

I might just have to invest in one when I have some extra funds. Which brand are you using?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #13  

It just says DDR Game, I found it on Amazon.com, but check ebay too.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

There is also a DDR for Wii as a side note. I just got the Wii for Christmas, so I haven't gotten to try it yet on the Wii.
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #15  
Slowly getting there

I have the DDR for Wii. I like the game itself, but the music is very different from other DDR games. It's much more pop and mainstream. Just not my personal style.