Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #1  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Running in March!

Let's hear it for warmer weather!

And.... GO!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #2  
Crazy runner

Picked out some new shoes yesterday... went for Mizuno Wave Riders. I can't believe I ran in my old Saucony's when there are better shoes out there! Will take them out today for their first test drive.

I signed up for the Colfax Half Marathon on May 16th (actually made sure I got a registration confirmation this time. Go me.) So, good for me that I get an extra week to train!
Old 03-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #3  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i really wanna get some nice running shoes.

i went running outside today .. it was pretty nice weather! the only downside is with all the snow & ice melting, it makes for a pretty wet/slippery run! :/
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I need to get new shoes... Got a gift certificate for Christmas and everything, but haven't gone to get them yet... I've heard good things about the Mizuno's, my current shoes are Asics.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/IP185/185/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi all! I am new to this thread. I am on the Ideal Protein Diet - for more info go to "Other Reduced Carb Diets" under the Low Carb Diets area - and I would love to become a runner. I just love that it is an exercise that you can do anywhere, anytime! I live in Colorado as well Fat Pants and what a beautiful day it is!

I think I am going to start a "walk to run" program that I saw on the Women's Health Magazine website. It teaches you to run 30 min straight with some interval training and then they have another 6 week program that gets you running an hour nonstop. Maybe I will be a runner in 12 weeks

I am excited! Fat Pants how long did it take you/how did you lost weight?
ckanable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #6  

Hello all,

Thanks for kicking us off, FP! Welcome, ckanable.

Actually posting from the gym. Just charging up my ipod a bit (I guess it didn't like being left overnight in my cold car...) and then am going to crank out 3-4 miles. With a really bad TOM I haven't run in a week and I can't wait. It is cold and flurrying here today but I have faith that warmer weather is on the way for us all.

I have the date of my first 5k: it's Saturday April 17. So that gives me six weeks to get into gear. I'm hoping for a lot of outdoor runs between now and then. I'm going to print out the course and actually try running the course a few times to get used to the hills and figure out how best to navigate the route. I'm excited!

Let's hear it for a fabulous March!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #7  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanable View Post
Hi all! I am new to this thread. I am on the Ideal Protein Diet - for more info go to "Other Reduced Carb Diets" under the Low Carb Diets area - and I would love to become a runner. I just love that it is an exercise that you can do anywhere, anytime! I live in Colorado as well Fat Pants and what a beautiful day it is!

I think I am going to start a "walk to run" program that I saw on the Women's Health Magazine website. It teaches you to run 30 min straight with some interval training and then they have another 6 week program that gets you running an hour nonstop. Maybe I will be a runner in 12 weeks

I am excited! Fat Pants how long did it take you/how did you lost weight?
Welcome! We have lots of Colorado ladies that post here. I'm down in the Springs, but I'm sure you're enjoying this nice weather as much as I am! Gotta take any warm weather we can get this time of year.

I started out with a walk/run interval program too so I highly recommend it. I lost most of my weight from running, now I lift weights on my non-run days and that helps quite a bit. I started running in Feb '09, ran my first 5k in September '09 and haven't looked back since.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/IP185/185/140

Thanks Fat Pants! Another beautiful day in Colorado! I started the walk/run interval training yesterday and did strength training today - feeling good!
ckanable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #9  

I did get a good 3.1 mile run in yesterday - a little bit sore today, but it's to be expected since I went more than one week with no running. Planning to go to the gym to lift after work this evening. Registering for my 5k online today!
Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I ran my first sub-10 minute mile this morning!
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #11  
aka christina :)

S/C/G: 142/118/116

Height: 5'5

i'm about to go for a run, probably about 3 miles .. my legs kind of hurt. such is the life of a runner
diornotwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/169

I'm a new runner, but March is the month for me! I'm doing Couch to 5K, and I've been pushing it, probably. I'm running every day (or twice a day) instead of three days a week.

Anyone know if that's a serious problem as long as I'm not in pain? I'm sore, but normal working out sore...
JennyJumpUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #13  

Momof5k - way to go on sub-10 mile! That is awesome!

Jenny - In my opinion, running every day or twice a day is too much - especially for those of us carrying more weight than we should be. It's a lot of pounding on the joints. I run three days a week - four tops. I'd encourage you to cross train instead - do some swimming or rowing or something every other day. Or, even better, swap out some running days with weight lifting. There are several of us on this thread (myself included) that are big devotes of strength training since it increases metabolism and just makes you look better. I think the c25k plan only has walking and running a few days a week in the beginning, right?

Well, I registered for the Charlottesville Run for Autism 5k yesterday, so it's official. I am running my first race on April 17. I'm stoked! Here's hoping the wind and cold settle down so I can get some decent outdoor training in in the next six weeks!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Jenny-- not sure why you are following a program that you arent following

Elite runners run twice a day...advanced runners trying to log over 100 miles a week run twice a day -- its the only way to get in that many miles. These are people whose bodies are very conditioned to the rigors of running..... not sure what you are trying to accompolish (other than a guaranteed overuse injury, probably i nthe NEAR future) Why not WALK instead of run if you want to get out twice a day? People severely underestimate the caloric burn of just gettign out and going for a walk. I think you should follow the C25K as written. Afterall its been incredibly successful for a reason. You can add in an evening or lunchtim walk if you feel you want to get out more.
That is my two cents. Take it from someone who has done the twice/day training. It will suck out your very soul
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

Did over an hour today at the gym! I'm leaving for vacation very soon though... And just made a $45 bet that I can't back to 141 by May 7... The bet goes to a cause that will certainly motivate me to shed at least a pound a week. Plus, teaming up with friends to lose it. I think in addition to staying on top of 3FC and staying with my gym habit, this yo-yo weight is gone.

Sometimes, you need that extra shove. I think reaching out to my friends will definitely help.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote