Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #16  

Kathy, I grew lettuce in a pot this summer, and it worked out just fine. Have you grown lettuce there in Texas before? It might work if it's cooler, but the temps you've been reporting this summer would make the lettuce bolt and go to seed really quickly.

Yes, lettuce appreciates full sun...if it's in shade, it's going to get really tall and leggy and spindly...not too tasty to eat. The lettuce I planted was in a larger pot, and it was out on my deck in the sun. The only thing I think you'll have to watch is watering. Lettuce needs a fair bit of water, and it'll tend to dry out pretty quickly in a container.

Good luck!

I've been a little down on the human race lately...it seems like everywhere I turn, people aren't being very nice to each other, and it just makes me sad. There's a lot of hypocrisy and selfishness. I mean, I should know all this by now and not be surprised, but I still am.

Anyhoo, my kids have the day off school, so we're going to be busy raking leaves and baking bread...my 7 year old really wanted homemade bread. I'm going to try using a dinner roll recipe but making it into small loaves. We'll see how that goes.

Later ladies,
Angela
Old 10-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #17  

Height: 5'7"

The cranberry juice seemed to do the trick (along with one dose of UriStat). I believe I caught it at the very beginning before it could progress from irritation to infection. And cranberry country would be great! I love fresh cranberry relish. Ummm ... can't wait for Thanksgiving! Oh! Speaking of that ...

Angela, thanks for the info. We are getting cooler now -- the lows are in the mid 50s and the highs are mid 80s. Later in the week it should be even cooler; the lows will be in the 40s and highs in mid 70s. The spot should get morning sun, which will be when the temps are lower, and by afternoon when it's warmer it'll be shaded. I hope it works out okay. Thanks again for the advice. I made a batch of bread on Saturday (or was it Friday?? geez, the days just run together!) and have been eating it toasted this weekend with the plain yocheese spread on it. We're having a cookout this Friday night for some out-of-towners and I was thinking about trying to make some buns. Judd and I will be having salmon burgers and it would be nice to have some natural buns to go along with it. Oh and maybe some homegrown romaine, too!

I know what you mean about the world. I don't know what it'll take to wake people up but it's very disheartening at the amount of unhappiness and mean-spiritedness that's exhibited these days. Things are just too fast-paced and I wish we could slow it all down and take it easier. I'm sure people would be much happier if they didn't feel quite so overwhelmed with life.

On that note, I can't tell you how much I admire the Amish people for the compassion and forgiveness they showed last week during that horrible time. They really set an example for the rest of us.

Paula, I hope your DD is better very soon, poor girl! It sounds like you did very well with your eating this weekend and kept busy as well! The weekends just fly by, don't they?

I'd better get back to work before someone comes over here and barks at me!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #18  
focused and aiming

yawaii. it's good to have you joining us. enjoy your walk today.

kathy, you'll probably have to see the house we're in now. i am very doubtful our new home will exist anywhere except in our dreams--and possibly on paper.

paula, i hope dd is feeling better. i'll be watching for your recipe.

angela, i'm sorry your down in the dumps. we all go there at times. wish we didn't. have a good day with the girls. homemade bread? i think i can smell it baking.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #19  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hi chickie,

HOme today - long thanksgiving day weekend! YIPPEE - altho i am pretty beached with a bad back today? Not sure what I have done? Took some painkillers but they are not helping much.

Yesterday were at sil's house for turkey lunch/dinner - of course my mil, the Queen Bee -caused a major scene when it came to the seating arrangements - something about the kids leaivng the table anyhow - no one was paying much attention to her (as she is one to demand rather than earn respect) - she ended up eating dinner alone in the living room, then leaving abruptly - and no one even tried to stop her! such a shame - she is so luck to still be alive and healthy (76) and have her family with her - even 2 great grand children - yet she still causes all sorts of problems and misses out on so much - it makes me so sad (esp when i think that my mom is gone and how happy she would be to spend time with her family around her!).

Also had a backache yesterday so I was 'drugged' when I left home - then had to take an antihistamine while there due to dogs and 1 kitten! so by 7 pm had to leave - and I went to bed at 9;30 pm and slept for 12 WHOLE HOURS - a rare occurence for a froufie! I guess I was really tired?

My eating has been way off as PMS and TOM have paid a visit - I am eating those 100 cal chocolate bars trying to control my cravings. I am fearful of getting on the scale tomorrow as I know it won't be pretty!

Also got a 'goodie package' from my friend Ray from Vegas who I met on the cruise - said he was sending me a cd with pics - but instead I got this HUGE BOX - w/the cd, a beautiful glass vase, a big bag of hallowee'en m&ms (gave to dh) and a cute pink stuffed froufei bunny (who I have named Viva), along with a lovely note about how much fun he had on the cruise with Andrea and I - so sweet!

Now dh and I are going to see the CHEO dream home - then will try to find somewhere where we can find a turkey so we can make our own - and eat leftovers for the rest of the week!

Later,

Frouf
Old 10-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #20  
focused and aiming

frouf, that's a shame about your mil. it's sad, too. you're right. she's missing out on a lot. her behavior has to put a damper on everyone's spirits.

i hope your back is better. it's good that you were able to sleep a long time. those antihistamines make me sleep, too. how neat that your cruise buddy sent you the goodie box. and kudos to you for giving dh the candy.

i'm having a hard time staying op today. i'm going to have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich in a little bit. i'll go to w a in a couple of hours. that should help, too. it's odd how some days it's easy to follow program and other's it's a strain. oh, well. that makes life more exciting, i guess.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #21  

UTIs--definitely one of the worst part of being female! I hope you are drinking lots of water and feel better soon.

I have never been on a board where the moderator switched--I assume I keep going to the same place to post?

Beautiful weather here today and there is a special cultural festival every year on Columbus Day--free museums, free concerts, outdoor arts activities, etc. I took my daughter and we had a blast. Back to the usual routine tomorrow.

My eating is on track; unfortunately I pulled a quad. muscle from Saturday's Boot Camp class so have to cut back on the exercise this week.

Here's hoping for a good and healthy week for everyone.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #22  

Yes, Elana, this would be the place for you to post! I feel better today and am sure that the home remedies took care of my problem before it went any farther.

I hope your muscle heals quickly! We have a girl at work who did a daily boot camp class at 5 a.m. every morning for FOUR WEEKS! After a few days, she said she didn't even know her name until around 11 a.m. each morning. It totally kicked her butt!! I admire anyone who can even work up the nerve to register. Since I can't run yet (or actually even walk without a noticeable limp) this is not the class for me at the present. I hope to be able to do it by next year.

I hope everybody had a great day!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:56 PM   #23  
focused and aiming

well, it's not so great a day here, kathy.

curtis' sister called a few minutes ago. we're all to meet tomorrow at the assisted living library around noon with hospice to discuss his mother's condition. it's not good. bless her heart. this is a sad time.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #24  

I am so sorry to hear it. SO sorry. I'll be thinking of you all and hoping that you'll be able to make it thru the necessary decision making.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #25  
Melissa

Sandra, I'm so sorry about your MIL.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi All:

I did so well with all the baking over the weekend and then ate too much at Thanksgiving dinner tonight. I'll have to contain myself to starvation level all week

Sandra, take care of yourself and Curtis. We will all be thinking of you two.

Rhonda
Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #27  
focused and aiming

thank you, girls. i appreciate your support. curtis and i are doing all right now. he wants to go shoot in the am, so we are. it will be good to be busy. the young guys running the archery center call me "mama." i just e'd one of them the taco soup recipe. we took them enough for dinner yesterday. now he's going to make some. (and it's core)

rhonda, don't worry about today. thanksgiving is over now. you'll do fine tomorrow. just keep thinking of your day that's coming up soon.

Last edited by ontarget; 10-10-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #28  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Good luck Sandra - our thoughts are with you - I know this is a terrible thing to go thru! Big hugs!

Where's Vickie????

Kathy - Glad the cranberry juice helped! Are you getting excited for your trip to Chicago??

I am at work today despite barely sleeping (I had a 'real' Dr. Pepper before bed and I think the caffeine/sugar kept me up?), altho my back is feeling much better - but not sure if I should go to the gym today or wait one more day? (don't want to cause any further problems!).

Bake sale at work today - need I say more? ...and I"m off to my dr appt this afternoon for my bp check - yesterday at pharmacy machine it was 150/87 - not very good! I know my weight is up as well due to weekend feasting and TOM still hanging around - oh well!

Dh just called and invited me to lunch (he is on the road after a business meeting - looks like a job/project may be coming up in the very near future - and I AM THRILLED, THRILLED THRILLED!) but I declined as I have brought lunch with me - and not feeling that great after the bake sale inhalation! (very bad froufie!).

Tonight is 'cheap' movie night ($8.95 per ticket w/popcorn and drink!) so I suggested we try to get out tonight if possible! (dd dances til 7:45)...something to look forward to?

Gloomy gray day here - and rain and much cooler weather expected the next couple of days! Oh well....

Frouf
Old 10-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #29  

Height: 5' 10"

Quiet day here today. DD Sarah is doing better, she is still a bit stuffed in her nose, but so am I. I debated on taking her to her gymnastics class this morning, ended up going. She did really well, its amazing how with one class per week, she is actually starting to get it. Took her to Wendy's for lunch - when she is sick she doesn't eat much, I figured that would be a treat for her and she would eat. She did well, only left a few fries. I got nothing but a diet coke. I came home and had polenta crisps and core chili.

My scale is now my friend??!! TOM is not quite here and my am weight was down to 177.5! WOO HOO. I'll miss wi tomorrow at work - I took Wednesday and Thursday off to use up some vacation time before year end. Tomorrow I'll drop dd off at school and I'm going to see if I can do a walk in manacure and pedicure. I never got around to making an appt, and I can't imagine there will be no openings on a Wednesday morning. Then I think Thursday I'll take dd shopping for a halloween costume. Its kind of nice to have not much planned for the next few days. Sunday we are taking her to the circus - of course we won't tell her about it until Sunday am. Then Monday is her next field trip to go pumpkin picking. I'm taking the morning off to go along. Told my boss I had an appt - didn't say anything more than that.

Sandra, my thoughts are with you today. Its not fun when parents get older. My mom is turning 80 this month and my dad will be 83 next month. Thankfully they are both fairly healthy.

Kathy, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I've never had to deal with UTI's and I hope I don't start.

Froufie and Rhonda - start fresh today. I hope you both enjoyed your holiday weekend. Its over now and today is a new day. Frouf, good luck at the drs. Blood pressure is scary. When I went to the Dr in January my bp was 170/100, he took it again and it was down to 160/100. I had to watch it for the next 6 months and it finally came down. My issue was under active thyroid - the Dr had to adjust my meds a few times over those following months, once that level was lower my bp came down. Good luck today.

Take care everyone.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I was not the least bit interested in food today. I've only eaten 9 points all day and drunk lots of water.

I hope that everyone with various afflictions felt better today.

Sandra, we're eager to hear how you are. I spent some of yesterday with my former in-laws who are in their 80's. One is doing very well, the other less well. It's not easy to see the ones you love suffer.

Rhonda
Closed Thread