Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default How Hard is it to Do Core?

I am currently doing Flex, only because it gives me the option to eat anything I want, just in smaller portions. I am thinking about switching to Core, because obviously it is a lot healthier. Do you guys find it hard to eat food without counting their points value? Meaning I would probably eat a lot more than I should. Do you feel restricted when you go out to eat? I was also thinking of eating Core foods, but still counting the points value as if I was just doing Flex. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01 PM   #2  

I don't agree that core is healthier! If you chose healthy foods on flex how can you go wrong? I don't have the discipline for core. If i could stop eating when i was full, i wouldn't have a weight problem today!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #3  

Hi there! Core tends to be healthier because you don't have a choice. If you have a strong will and want to eat well on flex, you certainly can. I am definately eating better on core, but I'm the type that likes sandwiches on diet white bread or toast with breakfast, which on flex makes sense since it's only 1 pt for 2 slices but on core it's not worth using my precious few points for. I'll have oatmeal or grits for free instead. Also, since fruit is free, I eat much more of it. On flex, if I'd already had my 5 servings, I'd have 2 points left over and I could eat a banana or 2 small fruits or some berries, but I wouldn't. I'd eat a cookie.
So a lot of it depends on your peronality type. I like core a lot because I don't like counting everything I eat. I can just eat a chicken breast and salad and some soup and not worry. When I'm satisfied I stop eating. I don't have to feel like I have to finish because I already counted the points. Also, for the first few days, I counted points because I was skeptical that I'd eat way too much on core and it turns out that I ate my minimum or less everyday but I was never ever hungry.
Why not try it for a week or two and see what you think? If it's not for you , you can always return to flex.
I only started a week and a half ago. But I've already lost 4 pounds and that's a lot for me. I would have to struggle 3 or more weeks on flex to lose that amount.
Best of luck with your weight loss journey and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

I have no problem on Core whatsoever. On Flex I rarely chose healthy foods. I never spent points on fruit or milk. I felt that was a waste of points. So I never followed the healthy eating guidelines. If you can follow flex that way, then it's great. You cannot get on Core thinking you can eat huge quanitities of food and lose weight. However.....the foods on Core are low glycemic index (good for things like diabetes and satisfaction) and stick with you for a long time. You'll find you need less food to be satisfied. You must learn to stop when satisfied. I rarely eat more than one serving of anything but if I am hungry, I eat more. Now I eat my fruits and vegetables and milk and am learning to change my eating habits. And believe me, I did flex many many times. I'd lose weight in the very beginning and couldn't stick with it. I started Core in 09/04 and lost 45 pounds pretty quickly. I'm still eating Core but because of medical issues haven't been able to exercise. I haven't gained back any of the weight because of my new eating patterns. I still have 115 pounds to lose. I intend to eat the Core way for the rest of my life.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:17 AM   #5  
Melissa

That's the trouble many have with flex. For many of us it is easier to learn portion control rather than learning how to stop eating unhealthy foods. Not that it has been any picnic for sugar-addicted people like me, but overall core is something that I can see as a long-term solution--I know I won't count points all my life. Counting the points stressed me out and caused me to obsess over how much I was allowed to eat. Being an emotional eater, that made me want to eat more. I haven't been very core-faithful recently but I still think it's the best way of eating out there. But everyone is different!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #6  

On Flex, I get pretty obsessed about points, counting them, hoarding them, and often skipped eating healthy foods so I could fit in a little "junk". Obviously not the intent of Flex, but that was how it worked for me.

I had major fears that I could not stop when satisfied, that I would eat huge quantities, that I would somehow cheat the system, and myself in the long run.

At first, I chose Core foods while continuing to track points. I allowed myself leeway, and followed the satisfaction guidelines, even if that put me over my allotted point total. It did occasionally, but not significantly. The most amazing things I learned, and these learning moments came pretty early, were that I actually enjoy health whole foods, that I actually eat smaller portions when I am not doing points, and that by eating until satisfied, and eating again when I am hungry, I don't obsess about food. Simply amazing to me.

There is a learning curve, and I think people should give themselves a few weeks to get comfortable with Core. It really is a big change for anyone who has done a Flex-type system for a long time.

Dawna
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM   #7  
Southside White Sox Fan

Dawna, I agree completely. I always tell people to give Core a month. I too, stopped obsessing about when or what my next meal would be. Gotta love it!
Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #8  
jadedjane

I think both plans are equally valuable. It all depends on your personality and weakness. I'm prone to be lazy and I know this. Thats why I chose core. It's so much easier for me to have a kitchen stocked with core foods and not have to think, count, and measure everything. I know that I could reach into my fridge or pantry and whatever I pull out will be good for me.

I never tried flex, but one of the ladies I work with (my inspiration for joining) is a flex girl, so I have a pretty good grasp of both programs. She recently switched to core and likened it to taking a leap of faith. It took her a few weeks to adjust to not carefully measuring everything while learning to pay attention to her internal signals (to stay inside her comfort zone). It's what pushed her past her plateau and got her motivated to go on.

As for dining out in restaurants... you have to be creative and pleasantly assertive. I have made it my mission to map out all the "core" friendly restaurants locally. My husband and I try a new restaurant once a week, and I keep copies of takeout menus and make notes about great discoveries in my "eating out" diary. I have found a mexican (*yay*) restaurant that absolutely rocks! They serve a meal called pollo cuernavaca that consists of charbroiled chicken with chiles and onions served with spanish rice (made with brown rice - and its not loaded with grease) and fresca beans. They cook with either canola, olive, or safflower oils. They even offer low-fat or fat free as a substitute at no extra charge.

You can go into just about any (sit - down) restaurant and come up with something that is core, or very close to it, you just have to ask the right questions. Dont forget that you have those 35 points a week to play with too. I use a few of those points at the mexican restaurant because I know I can't keep my mitts off of the steamy hot corn tortillas - lol. fortunately, I can ask that they only bring two to the table so I can't go overboard.

Vickie is right - give it time.
Either way - flex or core, youre on the right track and thats what matters.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

I forgot to tell you that I eat out all the time. I carry in my own FF salad dressing and smart balance margarine in little tupperware midget containers. Sometimes I even bring in FF sour cream for my baked potato. I interrogate the servers and ususally get things prepared exactly as I request. You do have to ask lots of questions. I found out that one of our favorite places that grills steaks brushes butter on the pork chops and steaks when the come off the grill. So I tell them hold the butter. Then I asked for steamed veggies and I've even found a chain that has sweet potatotoes. Yum! Many Italian restaurants are now offerring whole wheat pasta. My little neighborhood one does and I Olive Garden does as well. I get marinara with grilled chicken and mushrooms over ww pasta and consider it Core. I think it's possible if you are willing to be a bit vigilant and ask for what you need.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #10  

I really appreciate you guys taking some time out of your busy lives to answer my question. I also choose "bad" food over fruits/veggies/milk when I have already eaten the minimum amount required. Now I am more than convinced that I am going to change to Core. I am also going to count the points in the beginning, like Alicat and Dawnajoy did. I still haven't really learned to stop when I feel satisfied, so hopefully I can pay more attention to my body now. I am so excited! Thanks guys.
Why does WW only sell Flex food?? The magazine is also written around Flex. That was another reason why I was sceptical about switching, because I feel that WW promotes Flex over Core. Do you guys feel the same way?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 AM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

I think WW promotes Flex because it is their biggest "seller". Also, don't forget, Core is pretty much fresh whole foods that don't lend themselves much to packaging! I think one or two of their oatmeals and cold cereals are Core. I'm a subscriber and I'm finding that the magazine is slowly including more Core articles/success stories. It's new and catching on slowly. My Leader lets me talk about Core all the time in my meeting and is very supportive. There is also a new Flex/Core cookbook out that I really want to buy for $12.95. I'm a real cookbook addict!

Come hang out with us if you think we can help. We are on Core board 38 right now. That's where we talk about everything on a daily basis.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:45 PM   #12  
banned

hey tia,
i can only share what my leader does w flex and core. when she does flex, she eats core foods. when she does core, she tries limit herself to doubling the portions of what the book allows. hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #13  

Thanks, Vickie and Andrea. LOL.....my name is not "tia". TIA = Thanks In Advance
Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 AM   #14  
Osteengal

S/C/G: 186/183/157

Height: 5'8"

Default Help--first time

Hello,

This is the first time I have ever done anything online like this and I'm not sure how it works. There was a particular posting that I wanted to reply to, but it only said reply at the top of the page, and it looks like this is just going to go out on the site somewhere. Any suggestions? Also, I like the little weight loss bar that many of the people have on their posting (telling how much they have lost and how much farther they would like to go). How would I do that?
Old 02-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #15  
Melissa

Denisue--sorry no one replied to you. I think your message got lost in the server move.
We have several threads, so you can post to a thread by clicking on "post reply" at the bottom or just by typing in the "message" box at the bottom of the page.
To get a weight loss signature, just click on someone else's and it will take you to the correct page. Or go to User CP, click on edit signature, and then follow the directions at the top of the page.
I hope that helps! Please let us know if you need more assistance.
Closed Thread