Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #1  
Melissa

Default Dance Exercise

Has anyone used dance exercise videos? I am thinking of asking for some new exercise dvds for Christmas. I have always wanted to learn different dances, and I would love to burn some calories in the meantime. I can't find any actual classes in the area. Have any of you used any dance exercise DVDs that you really like? I am definitely going to ask for some ballet workout videos (as I used to do ballet many moons ago), but am looking for other suggestions. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Melissa -

My daughter is now 13 and has been taking dancing classes since she was 2; About 8 years ago, my wife (who also danced when she was a kid), signed up for an adult class that my daughter's teacher organized, just for exercise purposes. One of the older high school girls had to drop out due to a broken arm, and the teacher needed someone to fill in for the annual program, and she asked Linda, who signed on.

The next year, the same thing happened again. She had so much fun doing it the first two years that, the year after that, she just signed up to be in a class consisting of recent HS grads. She has danced every year since (except one year she had to drop out due to an illness), and she loves it. A few other adults have joined in from time to time, although she is typically the oldest. She looks great, too!

Linda says that it is great exercise. You might want to check the local kids dance schools to see if they have an adult program.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Hey Melissa, don't forget about that dance pad thingy! Here's one:

http://www.ddrgame.com/dadareddrtvp1.html

Last edited by Katpo; 11-15-2005 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I almost forgot that I have that DDR and should be using it - I found I used it in spurts so had to kinda start over again each time - not that effective

The other dance videos I like are the Richard Simmons ones (I know, I know) but the music and dances are really fun - they have different styles now as well. I also like seeing "real" people exercising and not just barbie doll women in their tight well coodinated outfits.

If you aren't into Richard Simmons there is another dance cardio series you might like - I have a salsa one which is pretty fun (and challenging) - I know my dd likes it as well.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Frouf
Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #5  
Melissa

Frouf, I think that I may have seen the one that you are talking about. Is this it?
Kathy, I forgot about DDR! I would love to have that.

I really want something that will actually teach me how to dance as well as burn calories. I bought a jazzercise dvd but it isn't really dancing, it is basically jumping and flailing. I can definitely see how it burns calories!
Old 11-15-2005, 08:04 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Yes!!! That's the one - very good if you want to learn some latin and salsa moves!

Frouf
Old 11-15-2005, 08:46 PM   #7  
Melissa

Good to know! I am very interested in learning salsa and have looked at this video before. Thanks Frouf.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 PM   #8  

I would love to own DDR. If I had that, I'd be exercising so much. My best friend has it, and whenever I go to visit her we spend HOURS on it (unfortunately, she lives way too far away from me to benefit). I'm thinking about buying a dance DVD to work out to, I find I get so bored by conventional workouts that I don't want to exercise.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #9  

upon looking at that website, I think I might have to buy myself an early christmas present!! I didn't realize you could get DDR w/o needing a console. *so very excited!*
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #10  

I have a DDR game for my GameCube, and I love it! It's great exercise and you don't even realize you're exercising. However, I do have to warn you... it's pretty hard on the joints. There's a lot of jumping and shifting of weight. I can't do it very regularly because I have really flat feet, and get shin splints if anything's too high impact.

Angela
Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 AM   #11  

Can you play DDR with the pad on carpet? Or does it have to be on a hard floor?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #12  

You can put it on the carpet, but it slides around a lot then - at least mine does. It probably depends on the pad.

The carpet helps with the impact a little, but not enough for me.

Angela
Old 11-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #13  

What about putting one of those carpet grip things underneath it? That was my second thought - i almost bought one online last night, but then i realized all the rooms in my house w/ a tv have carpeting.

(sorry to go semi-off topic!)
Closed Thread