Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #1  

Red face Am I Doing this Wrong?

I started CORE last Thursday because I was losing weight VERY slowly on Atkins and felt it was generally not a healthy eating plan, so I switched to CORE. I did not join WW, but I have the CORE eating book. My understanding of the plan was that CORE foods did not need to be measured. You ate until satisfied--not stuffed--satisfied. After reading the WW boards, I'm totally confused. I do not measure my oatmeal, pasta, cereal, soup--nothing as long as it's CORE. I eat until I'm satisfied. Am I doing this right?

I read a post on WW that basically said eating a whole can of Progresso Black Bean Soup was a bad thing, and that's too much. Maybe I'm a big eater, but a can of soup and an apple for lunch doesn't sound like too much to me. Please, any help or advice you can offer would be wonderful. Thanks so very much!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

You might have to try it for a while before you can gauge what portions work for you. I usually try to stick to one serving of a food (Progresso soups are 2 servings per can) and add a salad if I don't think it'll be enough. But ... whatever works for YOU is what I'd stick with. Everybody's different.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here is an idea that many leaders are putting out:

Start with 1 serving (whatever it states on the package as a serving pasta is usually 2 ounces dry which cooks to about 1 cup; soups are 1 cup, etc) and see if that satisifies you, if not then try 1/2 to 1 more serving.

It still is going to boil down to calories in vs calories out and if you eat multiple servings you need to think about the calories in too. Most of the foods on Core are low calorie high density foods so the theory is that you'll get satysified before consuming too many calories.

Remember satisified is not the same thing as FULL or STUFFED.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Usually on a weekend day, I will eat a whole can of Progress Hearty Tomato soup along with a piece of fruit for lunch. It hasn't hindered my weight loss so I don't see any harm in eating a whole can of soup as long as you're hungry. I'm not sure I could eat a whole can of bean soup, however, because it's a lot more filling, but I don't think a whole can of a vegetable soup is unreasonable.

The only thing I measure is oatmeal, and I do that because I want a certain ratio of oatmeal to water to get the consistency that I like.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

The only reason I suggest (and it is not a 'hard' 'fast' measurement but more eyeball a serving size) was I got from her post I got she was having a 'difficult' (for lack of a better term) with judging her satisfaction levels.

But everyone is right 'technically' there is no weighing or measuring.

I do Flex (with much of the Core concepts on food --- whole, natural vs processed, convenience) and I don't measure all the time. If it is something new or an occassional time to make sure 'my eyes don't get bigger' on my servings. I rarely measure anything but can judge now on what a normal portion to keep me full is.
Closed Thread