Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:23 PM   #1  

Unhappy What's wrong with me?? Why can't I lose weight?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first day using this site and I think it is a wonderful support system! I am really excited to have stumbled upon it. Hopefully I will get some idea and encouragement from people with the same problems I have..
First of all, I have gained probably 30lbs in the past 3 1/2 years. Now I am 5'8 and weigh 190lb. I am so unhappy and I feel so unhealthy. I believe I have tried every diet program on the market. The problem I have with them is that most of them totally cut out one type of food. For instance the Atkins or the 6 week body makeover. Unfortunetly, I love the foods they cut out. I will stay on the plan a week or so and then totally splurge on the "bad" foods. Which leads me to gain weight. I have been yo-yo'ing for the past three years. I am too the point where I know my boyfriend loves me, but I know he doesn't like me this way. I was 30 lbs lighter when we met. We will watch TV and a heavy woman will be on and he will say sorta rude comments about her weight. He does this often.. I have told him that it bothers me when he does that because he knows my weight bothers me and how does he think that makes me feel. He says,yeah but your are't anything like her..... And I truly don't think he means anything by it, but it still gets me so depressed! When he does this I will go on a crazy diet for a few days and lose a lb or two and then go back to normal and gain 5lbs back..

I have decided I want to lose weight to where it will be more of a lifestyle change and not a crazy weight loss plan. I know that just cutting back on fats and fried foods will take time to lose weight, but I went to the Dr. and got a prescription for Phentermine to jump start my new way of life. I have been taking the pills for 2 weeks and I haven't hardly eaten anything. All I do is drink water and eat a half salad or something for lunch. I am just not hungry..... so can anyone tell me why I have only lost 2 lbs. Could there be something wrong with me to where I can't lose weight? I don't feel deprived by not really eating, but what I do eat is healthy... So I just don't understand.. I know it has only been two weeks, but I feel like I should have lost a bit more...

I am so sorry this is so long, but I really needed to vent! I can't talk to my boyfriend about this and most of my friends are skinny minis.... Please help! Any tips or suggestions would be so appreicated...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Isabellesmom; 10-16-2003 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:52 PM   #2  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

My doctor prescribed me Adipex last year and I lost about 25 lbs. I had to stop going because I quit my job and there was no money left for anything but bills. Also, it was getting kind of hard for me to sleep.

I remember the first 2 weeks I lost only 1 lb. I was very upset! The "I can't stop eating!" feeling went away and I felt wonderful! After 4 weeks (I had to go back every 2 weeks) I lost 5 lbs! It kinda went in cycles. Some weeks I even gained, and did nothing different (probably TOM), but then the next weigh in I lost 2 or more. It took me about 5 months to lose the weight. I can kill myself now, sense I gained it all back! I loved those pills!

Keep it up! I'm sure you'll be seeing the results you want real soon.

Heidi
Old 10-17-2003, 08:03 AM   #3  

You have found a good place for support...we are here for you. I am not a doctor, I would recoomen have you had a complete physical and blood work including testing with regard to your thyroid? How about going to your doctor and or nutritionist to educate you on an eating plan that is basically counting calories? I have struggled with my weight for years...have been trim for periods of time but always seem to get back into my old habits. I have tried low-carb for several months and while I lose, always end up bingeing every week or so...like you, I yo-yo diet often! I have recently gone back to just counting calories...around 1,200-1,500 per day and I am much more satisified. Those cravings and binges are still there but at least I feel I am eating much more healthy. Also, how about you and your boyfriend try to get outside and get some exercise. It's a great way to spend time together plus it's great for your own health. Good luck! This isn't easy stuff but again, this site is excellent support.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #4  

Hi! First off, you need to make sure you are not confusing body and self image. You can want to change your body, but don't beat yourself up about it. I have always believed that you have to like you as you are now to be able to really deal with losing weight. I don't mean you have to be satisfied with the 190 lbs, but you DO have to know there is NOTHING wrong with you the way you are. Next, you have to deal with the fact you are letting others rule how you feel about yourself. WRONG, sweety! Just because your boyfriend doesn't like you heavy is NOT a good reason to lose weight! IF you are doing this to keep him, you might as well quit right now.

As for the pills, diets thing. YOU HAVE TO EAT to lose. Your body is shutting down because it has been tricked into thinking it doesn't need more fuel so your metabolism has slowed. You have to eat a good well rounded diet and exercise to get it boosted back up so it will burn fat. I do not believe there is any quick fix in this world and certainly not when it comes to weight loss. If we don't learn why we eat and how to quit the triggers that make us eat, we may lose, but we will gain again.

If you would like to know how much to eat to lose a certain amount per week, go to www.dietitian.com and use her little calculator up in the corner. You answer questions and it tells you how many fat and cal you can eat to lose either 1-2 lbs a week, which is safe.

Good luck to you.

Faye
Old 10-17-2003, 08:38 AM   #5  

Thanks so much for the advice! Doillookfat! I am glad to know someone else had the same issue with the diet pills. I just need to give it time. Smurf - I have thought about going to a nutritionist to learn what's good for you and what's not. Gma2one - I totally understand that you have to lose weight for yourself and not anyone else. I does bother me when he makes the comments he does, but I am so uncomfortable. I don't breathe as well as I used to... I so out of shape! I also have a closet full of great clothes I can't squeeze my tush into... So I do want to do it for myself. But I understand what you are saying. I agree that you have to eat to lose weight, but it seems like even if I eat healthy I gain. I may check into getting my thyroid checked because something just ins't right....

Thanks so much for the great advice and support!! I look forward to spending a lot of time on this site.. Good luck ladies!!!
Thanks again!
Closed Thread