Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Default make your own chips??

I was just thinking... I have a wonderful recipe for guacomole but nothing to use to dip in it and get a crunch too. I know chips are not core, but what if I thinly sliced a potato or two and baked in the oven until crispy... would that be considered core or is that just cheating? lol. I'd like some feedback... I'm out of pts but craving some chips. TIA!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #2  

I think it would be totally Core if you sprayed lightly with olive oil from your daily allowance. I haven't tried it but hear that sweet potatoes are particularly good this way.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:19 PM   #3  

As long as it's your one a day allowance of it, I don't see why it wouldn't be Core. As a matter of fact it sounds like a good idea and something to try. I love popcorn, but sometimes I need a different crunchy thing to munch on.

My girlfriend also uses pita bread or wraps. She cuts them up and puts them in the oven until crispy. They're really good with salsa too. You'd have to use some points, but they're good in a pinch.

Jade
Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #4  

I usually make my "unfried" potatoes in the oven and dip them in guac and they taste so good that way. It would probably be even better if you slice them really thin and baked them.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 AM   #5  

That is what I was planning on doing, oven fying them. I'm going to see what is on my menu today and maybe I'll be able to have some after dinner tonight! Mmmm...
Old 10-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #6  

If its crunch, why not use cucumber or jimica slices?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Or even raw zucchini.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:07 PM   #8  
Happy Loser

I belong to ww online, and they have a baked chip recipe listed as Core. Just think how many chips you can get out of a potato...I might have to give this one a try as well!!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #9  

cucumber and zucchini sound ok, but I want potato chips! LOL.. not just crunch but taste too, lol. But thanks for the suggestion!
Chrisypoo, can you share that chip recipe?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:24 AM   #10  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Did you make them? How did they turn out?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #11  

no I haven't made them yet since I had pasta for dinner yesterday, but I will soon.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #12  
14 lbs to go!!

I can't remember the points off hand but I have toasted corn tortillas in my toaster over before. I know that they are not core but you can have two for one point (I think)! Cutting them into wedges would get you 8-12 chips.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #13  

Alright and so the potato chip saga continues!! After reading Spryng's message about p chips, I went on a quest and found and tried an amazing recipe. Where has this thing been!!!! It's really quite easy:

Slice a potato, paper thin or a bit thicker (I did thicker);
Spray a dinner place or microwaveable plate w/PAM;
Spray the potato slices w/PAM (I put them in a plastic bag and did this); I added creole seasoning, as well; and
Spread slices out on plate, single layer and put in mircrowave for 5 minutes.
Watch the slices, if they are thicker it may take longer (mine took 10 minutes), just until they are light brown. Dark brown = burnt.
Remove from plate, add any other seasoning and let cool.

Voila! I could not believe that something so simple could taste so good, these totally reminded me of the "homemade" chips made at some restaurants. So good AND totally CORE!!!!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:05 PM   #14  

Thanks so much txlawchic for posting that recipe! Sounds great! Do they get crispy in the microwave? Never thought about cooking them in there but how quick and easy! I'm going to try some very soon! Thanks again! (did you use a dip too?)
Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #15  

Not a problem, Spryng. They do get crispy, especially after they cool. I had them w/guacamole from the night before. They were amazing! I felt like I was cheating, but I wasn't! ; ) I still can't get over how easy and fabulous they were! May become on-going daily snack. Let me know how they turn out for you!
Closed Thread