Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:37 PM   #61  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Default Hi there. I'm still considering.

I was reluctantly considering joining WW. I've been doing it at home for a while and just not putting my whole heart into it. But I seem to have a problem losing weight. Long story. But my sister actually JOINED WW and she's lost well over fifty pounds. Okay, I'm jealous. I'm happy for her, but I'm jealous. I got a small raise and decided that perhaps I should actually join, maybe that was the secret to my willpower:Accountability. But now I'm hearing about the Core (and continue to read all of your posts) and think it might sound like a Java Turtle (that's me) friendly diet. I'm going to go back and start reading ALL of your posts and I'd dearly love any and all advice I can pick up from you that are already doing it. I have lots of issues that would be far too many to list here, but I so need to get this weight off. I'm turning 40 next month and I've been super fat all my life. It's time to actually be successful at it. I work too hard to not ever see progress. It's late, I'm rambling. Thanks for listening. Mary in WV
Old 09-07-2004, 04:57 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Default A guy following Core

I went to my first WW meeting last week (well, my first WW meeting since the last time that I had joined WW - about 5 years ago; but I'm sure others know all about that!). I came to check out the new program and it has really knocked my socks off. I am very happy with Core. At first I was worried whether I could be trusted to set my own portions, but I find that, when I stick with the Core foods, that is not really a problem.

I've read the posts and recipe suggestions - and there are some really great ones. I do most of the food buying and preparation in my house. So far, my wife and the kids have been happy with what I've been fixing, and I have not felt deprived.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 AM   #63  

Default Tuesday morning - review

Well, just got back from a long holiday weekend and I blew it for my "core" plan.
I have my weekly weigh in this morning and am even contemplating using my no weigh in pass, but truly think I should "face the music".
I am reevaluating my core plan and as of this morning am going back to points, at least for this week.
I need to journal, regain my control and perspective. I like the core plan, but without my journalling, I totally lost it and found myself going wild, munching on peanut M+Ms and the like - totally NOT core!
What a bad girl I was.
Linda
Old 09-07-2004, 11:26 AM   #64  

dannyb -great to have a guy on board!!! I wish my brother would try the new CORE plan. He desperately needs to lose about 100 pounds. He tries things and quits because he doesn't like the limits, but CORE would really work for him. Sounds like you have a good support system. Family helping really helps. Someone there to encourage you and also discourage you if you try and take a false step.

This is my second week on CORE and it does take some adjusting, but it is working, I'll know how much when I weigh-in on Wednesday.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #65  

Danny, so good to have you on board with us as well.
I was feeling pretty dismal as I totally blew it this weekend and my weigh in showed it. I gained 1.8 pounds.
I have decided to continue on core, however, I am journalling again and trying to actually do the points program, but use core foods. I just lost total control and need the portion size and control I used to get with the points plan.
So far, today, I'm doing well. Very bummed out about the gain, though.
Linda in NH
Old 09-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #66  
bradyn

Question Core question.

Hi, I have a question about the core program. If you are making a dish that is mixed with Core foods and non-core foods, do you count the entire dish as points?? I asked a leader at a W.W. center this morning and she got pretty nasty and said, "If I have to dis-sect each recipe then I am going to just count it as points!" This was not my regular center and I do not intend to go back to that one. She was just not helpful but very short and curt. Sooooooo, I don't really feel my question was answered. Thanks for any input......
Old 09-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #67  

I'm doing Core and if I have a recipe that I can eliminate the Core foods easily and then refigure the ones I have to count points for, I do that. In fact somewhere in the book it says that is o k. If you're eating out and a dish seems to be too difficult to try and figure what is in there, like lasagne just count the points for the whole thing.

I have Cinnamon Bran Muffins for breakfast each morning and I had to figure the points for the flour, a bit of sugar, (I know I could use all Splenda but prefer 1/2 and 1/2), some apple butter and raisens. Then I just divided the total by the number of muffins I am making.

Some recipes it is easy others a bit more difficult. Some recipes I just say forget and I won't fix it. I know it won't be as hard when on maintenance and you get to add back more points. I'm looking forward to that day.

Why are the leaders so anti Core. My leader doesn't even talk about it. I think the longer it takes one to lose weight the more times they go back to the meetings and pay. I'm also going to try other meetings this week.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #68  
novabubble

Hi, I'm new here and a long time WWer. I am in my second week of Core and am enjoying it immensely. Packing a lunch is a bit more challenging than it used to be though!

cheers
Novabubble
Old 09-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #69  
Janette

Danny welcome. We are glad to have you with us.
Linda, I read your post earlier and started to reply but decided that it might sound like I was trying to talk you out of going back on flex. I am so glad you decided to stay with us. I was really pleased with the way I made it through this long weekend. I wasn't restless or craving food like I usually do. I think it is because I ate eggs both mornings and fruit early in the day (bought some on clearance and had to eat it or throw it out) and it just settled my blood sugar down without the spike and instant hunger. Anyway, glad you reconsidered. The important thing is to get right back on track and that is what you are doing.
I would only count the points for the non-core items in a recipe. So sorry about the leader being short with you. The ones I have had have been really nice.
Janette
Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 PM   #70  

Greetings ladies, and Danny :-). Guess what?....yup there is another male lurker in here :-)...Well I wrapped up my first week on Core, and I LOVE it!!!!!!...I am down 5# for the week and 49.8 total since Feb. I was shouting the praises of Core at my meeting today, and I think I made a few "converts"...Well thats it for now..here goes another week.

-Nate

SW: 251
CW: 202
Goal: 165
Old 09-08-2004, 07:38 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

I would like to thank all of you wonderful ladies for making me feel so welcome. And, thanks to you, too, Nate, for helping me not feel so alone (and congratulations on being a whisker away from 50 lbs!).

It can be difficult for a guy to participate in WW - when I walked into my first meeting last week (a few minutes late due to long line to register), the leader stopped mid-sentence and said, "Why, look everybody, we have a male joining us!" Most of the ladies smiled and clapped, but a few just eyed me suspiciously. She then walked over to me and introduced herself in front of the whole group and asked me my name (I hadn't even had a chance to put on my name tag yet!). She cracked, "You probably weren't expecting to have a harem, were you?", to which I responded, "No, but I was hoping!" Good thing that I'm not shy - - if I were, I don't think I'd be going back. Not everybody wants to draw so much attention when they are at their peak weight and trying to improve themselves!

Linda, I think that you're idea to stay on core but to continue journaling is a really smart move.

I think that the reason that some leaders may appear a little obstinate when it comes to core is that they have been doing the same thing (tracking and counting) for years, and this is new - - radically new. Radical changes will encounter resistance from some in most any setting.

I've got my first weigh-in today. I think I'm down about 5 lbs (if only all weeks were the first week!)

Have a great day!

Danny
- -
Old 09-08-2004, 08:02 AM   #72  
Running Babe

It's weird, my leader LOVES core and keeps encouraging us to try it... so I am trying it this week completely (asides from a treat meal Saturday night). It's weird, I have been counting points for four years so it's a little weird and requires a lot of effort NOT to count points.... I usually eat mostly core foods anyway. I am now just using Plain yogourt and trying to get more variety with my fruit. It was nice to throw some blueberries into my yogourt and cereal (shredded wheat) this morning.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 09-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #73  

Hi All!

My name is Katy and I joined WW a couple of weeks ago to get the Core information. I have joined plenty times in the past and have never been able to stick to the points program for long because I would become obsessed with the points and end up just quitting. This seems like a great program to me! I've lost about 30lbs in the past year just trying to be more active and cutting back on processed food and sugar. I've tried Atkins a few times but found that although I could stick to it without cheating for up to 12wks at a time, once I slipped up it was all but impossible to "get back on". Yesterday was my first day actually doing the Core program as I took some time to prepare myself mentally and get my environment in order. I was very surprised that I wasn't hungry at all nor was I obsessed with what to eat next, etc. I can only hope that things will stay this way. I earned some activity points yesterday and used those, but haven't gotten into my flex points yet. I will be using some today when I eat out with a friend. I downloaded all of the points lists to my palm pilot to take with me when I go out so I know how many points I'm using. I love technology!! :-) I had to laugh when one of the men in the group was talking about being noticed and put on the spot at the meeting. The same thing happened to the only guy at my meeting. If it were me, I don't know how I would have reacted, but he took it all in good fun. I guess the leaders are just so excited to have a guy on the team, they just can't help themselves, LOL. Well, I hope that all of you have a great Core day...I plan to!

Take Care,
Katy
Old 09-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #74  

OK Danny - don't keep us in suspense - let us know how you did so we can you on!!!!! Welcome Nate!!!!! We have a male member of our WW team and Randy is doing wonderful - he and his wife joined together - he has lost over 40 pounds!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #75  
CIN

Default Core Loving Leader

Good Morning
First of all a note to Bradlyn.................the response that Leader gave you about recipes made me chuckle because those are the exact words the Week One book uses as an example "If you find yourself dissecting something like lasagna.then count it as points"

My Week one book is in the trunk of my car or I would go get the page number!

Basically..if you can keep the recipe simple and figure out what is Core and what is points.that is fine! Last night I made salmon patties.the egg & salmon were of course core and the crackers were counted as points.............so we each ate 3 salmon patties for only 1 point counted and the rest Core!

I am finding many Leaders are either really in love with the Core ( me ) or really not....too bad it shows in the way they discuss it because it isnt supposed to be like that......both plans are currently to be supported in the meeting rooms! Kinda reminds me of how I love my Grandchildren.........I love all 4..................... I feel the same about Flex & Core. The Core is a nice change and I am actually eating more healthfully than I did on Flex. I have lost 6.2 pounds in 4 weeks and am following it so I can honestly experience it like my members do.

We all have to pick what best suits us!

I certainly agree with shopping around for different meetings..because each is unique and each Leader is unique!

Have a great Day!

Cin~
Closed Thread