Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:26 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Well, I'm awaiting my free broccoli, however it gets delivered

Today is going pretty well over here 5 minutes north of Lake Ontario, but tonight is going to be tough. The Pilates group is getting together for potluck dinner. You'd think they would be a group of conscious eaters, but I bet that someone brings some "junk" and I am going to have to work to avoid it...such trials and tribulations!!!

I liked the story about Sarah. Keep up the good work with her. Kids can be very inspiring. Anybody remember Art Linkletter and "Kids say the darndest things" ?

Well, I weighed last week and I had gained 4 pounds since mid-November I managed not to gain anymore this week and I'm going to be proud of that

I'm also not going to feel too badly too long about gaining during a wedding and honeymoon cruise, death in the family and holidays. I wish I could report no gain at all over the period, but in a month at most I'll be reporting that it is all gone. Better get back to the 'ole on a daily basis.

I'll change the tracker later

Rhonda
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #47  
focused and aiming

hi there, chickipoos. can you tell i'm in a good mood? i just got home from wi and am down .4 lbs. curtis is downstairs with paul watching archery instruction videos. i politely excused myself. i'm sure they'll rehash with me over lunch. we're going to golden corral. it's closing down after sunday so i wanted to get there for one more time for carrot cake. i don't know why i love theirs so much, but i do. i was going to have it later in january at a celebration, but that ain't gonna happen now. i will probably eat mainly salad and cake.

vickie, i went to bed hungry last night, too. i think oprah said something about that being a good sign that we're losing weight. i don't know. i don't like to be hungry.

paula, i am honored that you got vickie and me mixed up. thank you. i am very proud for you that sarah's learning good eating habits. that's wonderful. i wish i'd taught my son better. that's one of those "should've, could've" things that i didn't do. he doesn't eat sweets but he eats high calorie foods.

i'd take some free broccoli. at ww today they had us fill out forms to see about winning 3 treats. we got to choose our treats. one of mine is a year of cleaning folks. what i'll probably get is a lot of junk mail from filling out the form. oh, well.

angela, you can land on our back deck. i'll be watching for you.

rhonda, you did amazingly well. i am very happy for you. i need to get back to exercising regularly, too. i may go do w a this afternoon while curtis and paul keep watching those videos. (i heard there's 5 hours worth.)

i'm about ready to see if the guys are ready to go to golden corral. if we go early, i can make it to the 1:15 w a class. if we go later, i'll have to do w a on my own.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #48  

Height: 5'7"

Don't forget me ... I'm still alive.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:21 PM   #49  

I had just come to the computer to write "where's Kathy?" and there she was! Glad to hear you're still there. Now what does the new avatar mean...I hope that's a comment on the current weather and not on your mood!!

I don't know if the rest of you noticed but there was a media report about certain drugs taken for gastric reflex disease and calcium absorption. It was in the Journal of the American Medical Association. It could be important for those with those problems.

I'm preparing to go meet the Pilates group for dinnner. I've decided to take a meat loaf and salad. That way, I know I'll be able to eat sensibly

Sandra, I'm so sorry that you're losing your Golden Corral...especially for an expanded car dealership. If it weren't so much work, so risky financially and a huge pain, you should open a restaurant! Surely people are hungry there!

Rhonda
Old 12-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #50  

Rhonda, it's pouring like crazy here ... SOMEWHAT reflective of my mood, too, but mostly a commentary on the weather.

I've resigned as a mod, so might not be checking in quite as often as before. I'll still be around and reading though, so don't count me out yet!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #51  
focused and aiming

kathy, i was thinking about you, too, wondering where you were. i even clicked on your name to see if you had posted something i'd missed. then i remembered you said you wouldn't have time to be around much during the holidays. did you get everything caught up at work? is shaun there yet?

rhonda, there were 2 other buffet spots here in town that closed down. i don't think buffets are much of a hit up here. we usually just go there when we're in a hurry and don't have time to order and wait for food to be prepared. i did hear that a local agency had been giving senior citizens vouchers to use there. i hope their vouchers will work elsewhere. (i'm going to miss the carrot cake.)

speaking of carrot cake--i am in heaven. they brought out a "new" one just as we sat down. i got my helping before i got anything else. i was afraid there wouldn't be any left when it was "dessert time." i am going to see if gc has their recipe posted on the net. their other food is all right--nothing to brag about, though. i just love that carrot cake.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #52  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey Chicks!

Sandra, I have a to die for carrot cake recipe. It's my signature baked product. I'll share the recipe with you if you just keep it for yourself. It's a lot of work since it's from scratch and you have to sift the flour and all that nonsense. I even have my own cream cheese frosting recipe.

Hey Kathy! I was wondering if you ever got a Christmas vacation. I just saw on the weather that Texas is finally getting some much needed rain. Did you enjoy your holiday?

Angela, I LOVE the idea of free broccoli! In fact, you should contact WW with your idea. We should all get free fruit and veggies. That would make me stay on plan because I can be kind of cheap! It is the least WW can do.

Rhonda, enjoy your meatloaf and salad. What a great plan. I LOVE meatloaf. I should make myself one. Jim won't eat it but I could have it for myself for lunches since I even like it cold. Do you have a great recipe you would share? I saw the news on the stomach medicines. I take Prevacid daily which is one of the ones identified. I'll have to talk to my Doc when I see him next.

Speaking of seeing the Doc....I may be seeing him sooner rather than later. My Goddaughter, the Great Niece Sarah has strep throat! Of course, I was holding her on Christmas and kissing her and now my throat is sore/achey. Oh well...nothing some antibiotics won't cure, right?!

I'm off to find some PPV movies to watch since we are out of DVR'd TV. I could watch Lambchop. Hmmmm....decisions decisions!

Frouf and Melissa....where the heck are you? Harumpf!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #53  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sandra, I forgot to tell you that I learned that we do have GC here in Illinois. There are only 2 but one is only about 40 minutes from here. I probably will never go since I don't do well with buffet food. Plus.....I get in trouble and make bad choices at those kind of places. I just need to stay away.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #54  
focused and aiming

hi there. would you believe the guys are still downstairs watching archery dvd's? i did get them to come upstairs a few minutes ago for core potato soup. paul had snuck into the kitchen earlier and got a brownie to eat. was he ever surprised! he said that was the first thing i'd ever cooked that he couldn't eat. i guess all bran brownies take an acquired taste.

vickie, i'd love your recipe. please e it to me. i promise you i won't share it with anyone. (the icing, too?) the buffet food isn't really as good as "sit down" restaurants. i mainly like that cake.

years ago gc was a steakhouse. you'd walk through a serving line and order your steak and get your drink. you'd get a baked potato and a piece of texas toast with your steak. later they expanded to offer a salad bar. that later turned into a complete buffet. i just e'd gc to ask them if they had plans to build another nearby. i doubt they will, though. like i said earlier 3 different buffets have gone under here.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM   #55  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sandra, I don't have it typed anywhere. I'll dig it out in the morning, type it up and send it to you.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #56  
focused and aiming

thank you, vickie. i appreciate it.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #57  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default Brocolli Lovers Of The World Unite!

Wow - someone sure is desperate for their 'greens'! I agree with free distribution of brocolli to all that crave it!

Rhonda - we love Swiss Chalet - esp cuz it's not that 'bad' and everyone in the family enjoys it (I do sometimes pick up the family pack: 1 whole rotisserie chicken, sauce, rolls and 4 sides - dh and I always get salads instead of fries! and quite economical too for all of us!)

We also got a dusting of snow and colder temps these days - but looks like it might be warming up again early next week? At least I now have my winter tires on.

Kathy - how were your holiday celebrations? How is your mom? Did Shaun finally arrive? how was the visit?

Angela - sorry to hear about the infections roaming about - at least you got the antibiotics which will hopefully make you feel better quickly. congrats on being down 2.2 - way to go!

Sandra - hope you enjoyed the carrot cake - and congrats as well on your loss - excellent work!

Vickie - hope cindy is doing okay - I can only imagine how upsetting that must be - keep us posted on her progress. I love spaghetti squash and actually just picked one up the other day!

...and since cleaning lady did not show up on wednesday (she was sick) she will be here TOMORROW - yippee - time to vaccuum up all those stray/fake pine needles (dd took down the decorations today!). But this means we need to be up and out of the house by 11 am (I hate being here when they clean) which is no easy feat. I am into vacation mode going to bed around 1 am then sleeping in til 10 or 11 am - wish me luck on tuesday when I have to go back to work.

Past couple of days busy with errands and such. Today we had great nephew's first birthday - just family - very nice...and funny watching him dig his little face into the cake (yes he has his own 'personal' chocolate cake to destroy/eat as he wished). I had one slice of pizza, 3 mini quiches and NO CHOCOLATE CAKE!

While my eating is better, tho not entirely core - I am happy to announce (drumroll please) that I have EXERCISED FOR THE PAST 2 DAYS! Can you believe it? Forcing myself onto the treadmill for 30 mins (20 mins at 3.0 mph at 1.0 elevation and 5 mins warmup/cooldown) - I know it's not a lot but it's a start and I need to get into some sort of shape for my upcoming cruise. I am determined to finish off my time off w/daily treadmililng -then will have to figure out a 'schedule' for when I"m back to work. I am enjoying watching my new dvd set (rodgers & hammerstein) which big ds gave me - I have started w/South Pacific!

Tomorrow morning I shall set the alarm so I am able to get up, treadmill, shower and eat before cleaning lady arrives.

No real plans for New year's eve altho big ds gave me tickets to see the Sam Hill Band playing at a local place (the bar/pub where he books the entertainment) - not sure if we shall venture out - I'm sure my mil would babysit if required. Otherwise will probably rent movies and stay home.

They do have this yearly event down the street from us at the old city hall - a family new year's eve event - with jugglers, circus acts for kids, snacks, music and fireworks at 10 pm - might be worth a visit as we will be alone w/little ds.

On new year's day we always attend an open house hosted by some of my old friends (thru ex husband) who we are still in touch with! We only see them (and the other attendees) once a year but it's lots of fun. The problem will be THE FOOD. Every year I am 'expected' to bake (Sue loves sweet things) and the amount of food is outstanding - yes there are some healthy options but I find it hard to sit and chat and NOT NIBBLE when everyone else is - will have to work on some strategies for that!

Time to call Ray in Vegas and gloat over the WICKED TICKETS I am now in possession of!

Later,

Frouf
Old 12-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #58  

Shaun got here yesterday evening, and promptly went to bed. I think he is worn out! He's gone out with friends tonight (dang well better be behaving, too!) ... and tomorrow night we're supposed to go out with Judd's brother and SIL from Colorado Springs, the ones we visited this summer. His sister and BIL are leaving at 4 a.m. to head back to Montana with a little detour thru Mancos/Durango, CO to see BIL's family. They have a bed and breakfast there and it's where he was raised. Anyhoo, we're going downtown Dallas tomorrow night and Shaun is going with us so he can visit with Brad, Judd's brother, who is an officer in the Navy. Shaun has been anxious to talk to him ever since he found out that he and Brad would be here at the same time.

I might have to join you at the doctor's, Vickie, because my throat is also achy and scratchy. All of the nieces and nephews were sick this week and we've been with them nonstop. I had my six month checkup on my foot this morning and got some news. He told me that when the pain becomes unbearable, we will do the following things: (1) steroid injections in the joint; (2) injections of synthetic joint lubricant; (3) a scope to clean out the calcification; (4) joint fusion; and finally, (5) joint replacement. I'm hoping we can stop at #1 or avoid treatment altogether. All you old gals will love this: he also said that you can buy an old house and fix it up really nice, but you've still got an old house. Hence, my new title of "This Old House." I've been chuckling about what he said all day.

Then Tuesday I went for my yearly checkup and had all the bloodwork done. I'm sure that my cholesterol will be up and anticipate going back on the medicine. I also have to go back to the cardiologist to see why I have such an irregular heartbeat and chest pains every day. I'm sure stress has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Yeah, right.

I'm sure not ready to start thinking about going back to work though; I haven't done any resting yet and there are only three days left.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #59  

Hi All:

I didn't have to make the meatloaf. I called the hostess to see what was on the menu and she had baked a chicken. But, I'll send a favorite meat loaf recipe tomorrow or the next day. I ate lots of salad and was moderate with the desserts.

Kathy, that is not encouraging news about your cardiac problems. Get to the doctor, girl..."do not pass Go."
I wondered what "this old house" was about. Good to hear that Shaun is home and

Frouf--good for you and the exercise. Keep going. And, good luck with those sweets on New Years. The only way I've got much control these days is to stay home!!!

Night all,
Rhonda
Old 12-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #60  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Afternoon Chicks! I've had a busy morning. I'll try to come back after lunch. Even my lunch is late. It's 1:00 here!
Closed Thread