Alternachick chat September 1+

You're on Page 6 of 9
Go to
  • Hhhhmph! I just lurked on the SBD boards and read the posting-behind-my-back-posts Ms. Ruthxxx and Ms. Ellis

I can't believe you were threatening to kill me if I said I was full before the shrimp toast arrived! And take pictures!
  • OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - Ruthxxx & Ellis are in trouble!!!!

Your outing sounds wonderful Mauvais, Ellis & Ruthxxx! I am so glad you had a great time. If I even get my butt up there, can we go out for dim sum? But I will skip out on the frogs legs!!

Wildfire - Coffee sounds wonderful! I am not up in Ontario any where near as much as I would like. I work 5 minutes from one of the bridges, it isn't like it is hard to get to.

Chervata - Welcome to the nuthouse! Yes, that phrase gets used a lot, but it fits.

Den - I would have (and have) sweared at the poor doctor. I just want to make sure they fully understand how I feel. Working is good!!! Now get moving too! *she yells from her nice comfy chair* Ok, we both need it, we can do it!!!!!!

Twodog - With you on the weather. I love fall weather! Warm enough during the day, cool enough to sleep & and all the wonderful colors.

Jennifer - Love the bit about the strangers!

Well, my weekend was fun, though not too much to report. Sis#2 met me at work, and we left Friday. Hit all the wonderful rush hour traffic in Toronto. But we did find our hotel without getting lost! Good thing we could see it from the highway. Went out to diner at the Rainforest Cafe. It was great fun. My sister hadn't been there before, and just spent most of the time looking around. If you haven't seen/heard of this place - it is a small chain of restaurants that are completely decorated as if you were in the middle of a rainforest. They have beautiful HUGE fish tanks, animatronic elephants, butterflies & gorillas. Moss, leaves & trees (all fake, but cool looking) everywhere. And every 20 minutes or so there is a "thunderstorm". Oh, and they have good food too!

Then Saturday, we made it to Barrie with out getting very lost. (I am prone to getting lost) The concert was great. We were there for 12 hours. Just a ton of people! There was a "vendor village". I got a temp tattoo, which just made the desire to get my real one stronger.

As for the music - We did get to hear a new chick who kicked *** - FeFe Dobson. Her album isn't even out yet, but wow! I enjoyed Stereophonics, who I had never heard before. Though they claimed to have lost their drummer after a drunken Friday night, so they played an acoustic set. Finger Eleven was good, but a little too crowded. I am getting too old to be that smooshed during a concert. We spent the rest of the night much farther from the stage. Though my highlight - ok well the music one - was The Hip. Even played a few new songs, and a few I had never heard live before.

My other highlight (and this will show you how, uh, lonely, excitable, take your pick, I am) was the absolutely adorable guy who cam up and talked to us afterwards in the parking lot. Silly me, tried to leave, but of course traffic wasn't moving. After sitting in the same spot - about 10 feet from where we had been parked - for about a half hour, this guy came up and started chatting with us. Mostly about the fact we didn't seem to be moving. I just kept thinking about how cute he was, and why did I have to find him AFTER the show. After 5 minutes, he wandered off. I told sis#1 today, and she asked where he was, and why I didn't kidnap him.

OK that is definitely enough rambling from me.

off to bed.
  • Goodmorning all ~ Not much to say, still sleepy.

Today I have a friend coming over for lunch, and I'm making soup. I have this urge to purge my house of stuff ~ some minimalist possession. Husband and children are getting very worried.

We haven't moved in over 5 years and 3 years was our record - think I'm going through some sort of withdrawl.

I'd love to call an auctioneer and have him sell half my stuff.

Coming autumn does this to me...

Lois
  • Good morning sleepy Lois.
    I hear ya re: possessions. I love so much of my stuff, but sometimes I think, "This is ridiculous... burn the house down and we'll start afresh with just the things we need to live!" We have so much...

Squeak, YES! We will dim sum with you! Hurry before we die of starvation.
    What a great weekend you had! That cafe sounds SO cool!
    One of these days, the perfect man is going to fall into your lap, hon. But it'll ONLY happen when you're not looking for him. (session over. crystal ball has fogged up.)

Mauvais, you forgot to mention the curried octopus. Have you got your sewing machine out yet? That outfit is going to look BEAUTIFUL on you!

Yes, Wildfire... frogs legs. Mauvais is right... they taste rather like chicken. I remember as a child my Dad bringing home a little paper bag of them as a treat for my Mom. He had a lot of fishing friends then, and they were always sending delicacies home. These ones are frozen. shudder.

love and hugs to all...
  • Ellis-My paternal grandmother (who lived to be 101 1/2!!) used to go to a nearby lake with her brother (when she was a kid.) They would catch frogs, light a fire and cook their own frog legs. SHUDDER. So remember, you COULD be cutting those little legs off with a pocket knife!!!

Wildfire-They DO have prostate exams though!!!

Mauvais-Heck, we just want the same success with the weight loss that you have had!!! WITHOUT all the work!!!! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time! Hope I can go with all of you one day!!!

Squeak-OOH!!! Sounds like you had a GREAT time!!! We have a Rainforest Cafe here too! But the mall that it is in also has a Alcatraz based restaurant that is fun (and a bit cheaper and QUIETER) so I tend to go for that (it is a brewery too!!!) YES, I DO need to move!! I have been like a slug lately!!! Trying to come back to life now that fall is here!!!(SOMEHOW that seems backwards, but that is usually the way it works for me!!!) Flirtations are GREAT, aren't they? Ellis is right, by the way. I met DH when I hit the point of not caring if I met a guy or not, because all the ones I was meeting were such jerks!!!

Lois-I need to purge my house too!!! Hope you have fun with your friend!!!!!

Sad news-They are reporting on e-news that Warren Zevon passed away yesterday. BUMMER.....
  • Ellis dear, if you curry any octopus my youngest DD will be extremely disapproving! She is planning to become a marine biologist specializing in saving and looking after octopi, who are (I have learned) very intelligent and gentle creatures. They have short-term memory (possibly more than I do!) and are really beautiful and sweet (she has, you see, converted us all!). I am sure you were joking anyhoo!

How are you all this morning? I am going to catch up on the threads but I wanted to say hi first...

And frog legs...uh oh, we love little frogs too! (and just about any other creature you can think of except ants and wasps etc)

Lois I am just the same, I love all my stuff but sometimes I just want to go for the Japanese minimalist look. Only I also need a beautiful Japanese farmhouse in the mountains to go with it. And the sound of water nearby. And a really good hot springs/spa complex in walking distance! Hahahahaha!

Lidian
  • frog leggs don't know if I am that brave. Ditto on the clutter I have way too much stuff. Just a quick drive by as today is a busy day at work. Hi & hugs to all
  • Good point, Den. These are wrapped in plastic. brrrrrr. I could NEVER cut off a little frog's leg.

Sorry, Lidian... it was Ruth's choice at the restaurant to order the octopus. I DID eat a couple. Sorry... sorry...

Frog legs? I love frogs, too. I also love little lambs, but I DO like the occasional lamb sausage. I'm pretty sure that these are "farmed frogs". Sorry... sorry...

Hi, Sflake! How's your leg?
  • Pass on the frog legs.
    Vegetarian checking in. You know, it's a great tragedy of my life that I never did get to try dim sum before I gave up meat altogether. I'm jealous.

Lidian, tell your daughter that I gave up meat for the exact purpose of NOT having to read about how wonderful octopi or what-have-you are and feeling guilty about eating them. Though I enjoy meat and especially seafood, I don't eat it anymore.

Let her know also that when I saw the scene in "Nemo" of the tuna fighting for their lives I was glad again to be a vegetarian.

No condemnation for the meat-eaters on this thread at ALL. I'm just very, VERY tenderhearted about the plight of all animals (except mosquitos, maybe). Even Octopi, which look to me like really big, fleshy, wiggly spiders. Shudder. Or you could say that I'm just a weenie about the whole thing. Can't eat 'em anymore.
  • Oh, Ellis. So many apologies in your post. I'm afraid my vegetarian speech is going to upset you.

Sorry...
  • Never mind Ellis, I'll never tell her! I HAVE had calamari and lobster etc, years ago, which I also don't make a big deal out of!

Cerise, I am pretty close to being a vegetarian myself - I will eat the odd hamburger, and chicken or turkey in salads.

We also have a lot of toy octopi who are very nice looking and lots of cuddly toy lobsters also - so what can I say!

But Ellis really - no need to apologize!

Lidian
  • Ellis-(BURP!!!) Please pass the lamb.......
  • B-A-A-A-A.

Tee, hee!
  • AW, bleeding slabs of meat don't bother me at all. It is the poor tender BROCCOLI TREES.....CUT DOWN IN THEIR PRIME, STRIPPED AND BOILED WHILE THEY ARE STILL ALIVE THAT I FIND SHOCKING!!!!!!!
  • Oh dear, then I will not tell you some of the stuff that I have eaten - very exotic delicacies and traditional Inuit fare.

I must admit I did eat some of the curried squid too