Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 9 of 17
Go to
  • Well, slow and steady ... moved ticker down a pound today so I'm thankful that the smaller portions and awareness are working.

Went to bed not feeling well and woke up feeling just as lousy. Meetings at work that had to be attended or I'd have stayed home. Just the start of a cold, but earache is drilling through my thoughts.

Credit - prepared dinner at home last night to ensure it was healthy/lighter than eating out last night. I'm thankful that DH is always up for any meal option, so we had black bean/avocado (on his, not mine), sweet potato soft tacos. Larger size wheat tortilla and we each just had one and were satisfied (credit!). Tonight, though, I think DH wants to head out. Unfortunately I only ate a small part of my lunch before the meeting and then afterward my steel cut oats were a brick and I let myself get over-hungry. (demerit).
  • heading to the working weekend
    Coaches

Well my day was ok and not ok foodwise.

Credit: ate homemade, ate sitting down, -0.7lbs.
    Debit: ate to way way way overfull.

Worked all day avoiding my work. So stressed today. But tomorrow I will actually get at my work so I'll feel better. DH out with the boys--oh just texted, off to pick him up. OK better day omorrow.

My goal this weekend for me is to choose a new foodplan. I am floundering here without a formal plan. Also to re-write ARC cards and to write myself a letter about why I want this weight gone. To really visualize what I want to happen.

better go. Bye for now.
  • Did not have a good plan for today, am traveling, and ate over calorie limit. Weight was up this morning too. Boo! Credit for getting up super early just to get my walk in before we hit the road. Will try to catch up with personals Saturday.
  • Saturday -Ivan the Terrible crowned (Moscow, 1547)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the dentist office - not for cleaning, not for dental work, but to show them the dental insurance ID effective January 1st that just arrived in the mail. The office manager took the data and I was done. One more tiny bureaucratic tidbit off my list. I had the thought that I should use mouthwash each time before entering the dentist office as defense against the overwhelming mouthwash smell of the entire building. I don't know if Febreze can eliminate mouthwash smell, LOL.

Dinner was at a new-to-us Italian restaurant with DS and DDIL. My positive contribution was to order scrod instead of something with pasta. My DDIL refuses to order scrod ever since she learned that there isn't a fish of that name - rather it's the manner of cooking any whitefish with something that gives it a slightly sour taste. Yay for google! That recipe shows that it's lemon peel that does the trick.

onebyone – I so know about "Worked all day avoiding my work."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm hoping the patience and realistic expectations arrive with age. I'm still waiting, LOL. (I intend to call it 'paperwork' forever since that word captures my disdain.) Neat idea to use tea to counter overwhelmed.

FutureFitChick – Super Kudos for getting up super early to get your walk in.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for persistence getting to boots that get your feet to their comfortable place.

nationalparker – Your tacos sound creative. I'd have had the avocado on mine. Ouch for work meetings in general.

Karen (karenrn) - It tickles me how much I object to backtracking when out walking - despite being out for the exercise.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Escape Plan: Stress Trap . . .
    Situation #1: The end of the school year - overwhelmed with year-end activities, recitals, ceremonies, presents, parties. Just don’t have the time or energy to keep dieting!

Sabotaging Thoughts I don't have time to get to the store or exercise.
    Reminders It will be more difficult to find the time to shop and go to the gym, but it's not impossible. I can't use lack of time as an excuse - not if I truly want to lose weight.
    Strategies Wake up half an hour earlier for the next 2 weeks to get things done. To make sure I get to the market, bring the kids with me after their games instead of dropping them at home.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 63
  • I’m still struggling with feeling behind and less productive than I want. I’m going to work, today, on catching up. I’ll be giving up some other things this weekend to do that. But, that’s what you do, right? When you fall behind, you give up stuff until you catch up again. I don’t know why I have such a hard time grasping that concept. It seems to be an entitlement thing.

I don’t think of myself as someone who has entitlement issues, but when it comes to food and time, I really do. I believe the world owes me all the food that I want to eat and all the time I need to do what I want done. But, of course, it doesn’t. Not to humans, anyway.

Entitlement issues respond well to the Serenity Prayer. Peace comes with acceptance than I’m not Bacchus so I don’t get to eat and drink with abandon and I don’t have an immortal time span to play with every idea that crosses my mind.

Over time, though, weeks and months and years, I can eat what I want and do what I want. I can’t eat it all or do it all, but I can eat any thing I choose and do any thing I choose. Grant me the courage to make the choice and the wisdom to choose well.

WI: +0.3 kg, Exercise: +30 560/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
  • A good evening and have decided that Friday night (or Saturday night, depending on plans) will be my one meal splurge for the week, and not worry but get back on track right after. We enjoyed a dinner out, neither of us ordering what we'd make at home, at a restaurant with very good quality ingredients. DH started with some sriracha shrimp and really liked it. No seafood ever for me (and Bill, i had no idea about scrod, now I'm standing with your DDIL even though it wouldn't have crossed my mind before as an option, ha).

Late night as we returned home late and watched Pawn Sacrifice. I fell asleep for the last half hour, but not going to rewatch that part.

Told DH this morning that I felt that David (Michelangelo's David...) missed me and so we must figure out a way to return. He was half-asleep but I still think he rolled his eyes. I declared that the next time we return, I will go to the Academia two days, so I can glory in David and other favorites in leisure and then return again to soak up all the rest of the gems there as well. That got a grunt. Hm. Where there's a will...

Got up and got right to projects this morning and thought about running to the car place for DH to get something quickly reset. He's still on night schedule as he goes back to it in two days, trying to stay up all night and sleep late.

Bill - That taco recipe was actually a real one - we were surprised that it came together so well the first time. I add cumin and some cayenne to the black beans to give them a little jazz, but an easy meatless meal.

OneByOne - Good luck with the diet selection. I kind of punted on that one, with my main one being smaller portions and tracking, aiming for a calorie range. But the second choice is nil for me right now. I WANT to say it's WW but I just get frustrated at the ingredients that they choose for their products and therefore struggle with the healthy aspect. But the kicker is, I DON'T BUY frozen ready-to-eat meals or bars, etc., so why do I let it get in my mind? Little things that get us quirky.

Joy - I like your line of thinking, that over time you can have what you want. I am with you on that. Not now doesn't mean never. Thank you for posting that. I feel that way sometimes when I have a great week of meals planned and then have to think, let me space a few of these out so we have fresh leftovers, and be a bit more fiscally responsible.

FutureFitChick - Yesterday is an "oh well" ... today you will do superbly. Credits for up early to fit in your walk. This speaks of a day you will ace.

Off to finish boxing up the Christmas decor, with the exception of plates/mugs. Winter ones will remain out and project is to figure out how to easier store them than hauling a 60-pound (maybe an exaggeration!) bin up attic stairs.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Starting with gardener joy's quote:
    "I believe the world owes me all the food that I want to eat and all the time I need to do what I want done." This pretty much sums up a lurking "gripe" I have with the powers that be. I don't think I should have to live on the "tiny" amount of calories that allow me to lose weight. "Tiny" being a matter of perspective of course. In my 12 step program, we talk about finding "a new pair of glasses" that allow us to see gratitude in our deficiencies and struggles because they force us to become better people.

And I struggled last nite. But true to Beck theory, I added up the minutes I was off plan versus the time I have been OP - 20 minutes versus one month. I am calling credit. The technique that stopped the food ravaging was intentionally becoming aware that I was eating standing up again. I declared "OK if you are going to eat more, you will do it sitting down." So I measured up one final 1/2 cup of rice and two chocolates and ended the binge. That really minimized the damage that could have happened.

I am going to put food into MFP and exercise for only the second time this week. Oh Well at least it will be twice.

nationalparker: I remember visiting David. It is a very personal experience - almost as if he is talking to you. Even more so are the pietas surrounding it. I would like to see them again someday.
  • Good afternoon coaches,

Boy is it nice having my friend here. We just got back from a just over 10 mile hike. It's one I do kind of regularly, but she did great too. Credit for that and for the 5 1/2 mile walk we took yesterday. We did go to happy hour yesterday and I had 2 beers and split a burger with my husband. Food was within calories. Tonight is over to friends for dinner and I've got lots of exercise calories, but I shall not have alcohol. I'm thinking maybe once a week when I have friends here is doable.

To those of you who feel you aren't getting enough done. Neither am I. I mean I am getting nothing done around the house. The dishes are done as we go, but other than that it will all have to wait until I no longer have a houseguest . . . on Thursday. We're having too much fun and the other things aren't going away.

More later.
  • Up again
    Coaches

Weighed this morning. Credit. Saw +1.5 to 278. That is a number that got my attention. Wow. Sodium in the soup did it because that's pretty much what I had. Today, food has been ok. Not stellar. DH chose and I wasn't home all day. I spent the day at the gallery trying to work, but too many visitors. Way way way too much talking all while I was holding pencil in hand with all my work laid out before me. Nope. People just kept going. I did get 1 3/4 paintings sketched. 2 1/4 to go. Hopefully the Gallery will be quieter tomorrow. I'm there once more. The good thing is I can work on canvases at home and at my studio. There's enough space for that in either place.

Bye for now.
  • Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Meh day today. Skied in super-cold (colder expected tomorrow), but had some health issues that limited my time. Also had equipment issues, which are the product of my weight gain. It is so discouraging and I am impatient to shrink. Did not do a good job of paying attention to hunger at breakfast, and overate. But credit, at lunch time realized I was not hungry at all and skipped. Overall over my calorie limit by ~200 calories, in no small part to dinner out at a restaurant with a beautiful and diverse menu. Every dish on the menu was unique, but not for the sake of being unique. Food was all locally sourced too. Bummer. Credit for posting here, when I just want to be asleep, in spite of it being only 6:30 PM.

Travel in general requires either a different set of skills or much more forethought than I am used to dealing with lately!

Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to drag ourselves out for a few hours of skiing, but the high will be below zero (degrees F), even before wind chill. Also hope that my discouragement from today's equipment issues won't keep me in as well.

Bill Blue Eyes, your dentist story reminds me of a dental receptionist I came across once. I had an appointment immediately after lunch and had eaten some garlic something or other. I brushed my teeth before my appointment in the bathroom there (I usually have a toothbrush in my bag), and used the provided mouthwash. She noted in my chart that I had used mouthwash. It just struck me as so weird, 1) as if the dentist wouldn't be able to smell it on me and 2) it was provided in their bathroom. Anyhow, nice job getting your walk in Friday.

GardenerJoy, I forget that giving up something is required at times to get other stuff done. They forgot to put out that message in all of the Martha Stewart Living and Real Simple magazine spreads. I love that photo of you!! I have also been trying to clean out old files in our cabinets to make room for the essentials from last year. I started to get very discouraged as well until I made more specific to do lists for smaller tasks. (i.e. Scan files became "Scan Medical Files From 2010", "Shred Bills from 2010"...) It made me the smallest amount cheerier and reminded me I was making progress.

Karen, RN, I'm done with all of my classes/requirements at school except my dissertation. I've been thinking for ~the last 3 years I'm just a couple of months from finishing. I am making regular progress though, which is positive. Here is the book I used (print version) http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-G.../dp/031033117X Your hike sounds awesome!

Love 2 Garden, I have asthma too, which is very easily triggered by the cold. To exercise outside, I have found a balaclava, scarf over my mouth, or at least a tall collar (like a funnel neck style) have been really helpful for this.

Mary Ann, great job getting exercise in! I had a coworker that used to steal shoe-cover booties from the lab when she would get new shoes. She would wear the covers over the shoes while she tested them out at home for hours, so she could get an idea if they would actually fit. If not, the soles showed no dirt or wear and she would send them back. I've been on a mission to clean out my pantry and freezers as well.

National Parker, thanks for the positive thoughts! Glad you had a good evening tonight! Great job cooking ahead for Friday's dinner. Were you able to get the bike display powered up?

OnebyOne, hope you have a better day with sodium today! How is your food plan selection coming along?
  • Sunday - Hawaii's monarchy overthrown (1893)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies – An overscheduled day that ended with a pot luck dinner. I brought a huge green salad with pecans and avocado which I used to cover three-quarters of my plate, CREDIT moi. Otherwise snacking was over my plan.

Exercise was playing with my four month old DGD. I can't explain why a kid that can't walk or crawl can cause me to move so much. But I got down and up from the floor many, many times. I read her five board-books that had pictures of babies. She watched intently, letting her neurons absorb the language.

onebyone – Yay for canvas that's portable enough to be worked where you want to be.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Whack upside the head this one, "I don’t have an immortal time span to play with every idea that crosses my mind." It's so easy for me to believe that I'll have time 'this summer' to do some project that would take me forever if I actually tried to do it. A sane mind would observe that I don't have time to do the project and make a decision right now to handle the situation.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for skiing exercise despite super-cold. Just Good Grief on "high will be below zero (degrees F)."

maryann - Thanks for "a new pair of glasses" - I could use those.

nationalparker – You've got me longing to go back to visit The David.

Karen (karenrn) - Seems sane to me, "We're having too much fun and the other things aren't going away."

Readers -
    Quote:
    Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Escape Plan: Stress Trap . . .
    Situation #1: The end of the school year - overwhelmed with year-end activities, recitals, ceremonies, presents, parties. Just don’t have the time or energy to keep dieting!

Sabotaging Thoughts Once school's over and the kids are home for the summer, I'll get back on track with my eating plan.
    Reminders This has been my pattern for the past few years and it just doesn't work. I could easily gain back the 5 pounds I just worked so hard to lose. I'll be much happier if I stay on track now.
    Strategies Arrange to pick up Kimi twice this week and go to the gym with her so I won't be tempted to skip it. Read my advantages list and this excape plan 3 times a day until school is over.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 63
  • Hi coaches!

It's been a few days since I have posted. Tuesday, after a super crazy day at work I drove over to Glenwood. I was tired and got the start of a cold. Made for some crummy days off and I didn't do the best sticking to my list of approved foods. The good news was I didn't eat much, either. scale stays the same. I traveled back over yesterday making a commitment to stick with my food plan and I did. Credit.

Nothing much else new to report. My hubby texted me at 4 AM. They had over 10 inches of snow and it was still coming down. He had to shovel so the dog could go outside. LOL. I have bare ground over here. I'm grateful for that. I just don't feel like shoveling today. LOL
  • hi coaches!
    wow, some days there is very little posting and other days it takes a long time to catch up to everything!
    I had a long day friday- went to an all day workshop on dementia which was really interesting but its always tiring to just sit there and absorb info for 8 hours. It helped me think about what type of work I may want to do in the future, listening to other folks talk about their type of environments.

There were a lot of little pieces of chocolate around which I sadly indulged in to help me stay awake, and potato chips which I rarely have. Then we had pizza for dinner because i was too tired to cook, so a bad day all around.

It did make me feel grateful that my job doesn't entail sitting for 8 hours straight, I can get up a lot, and my commute isn't bad, so that is always a good reminder!

But onwards! today is meal planning/grocery day so I can start anew and get some healthy food in. And a day off tomorrow, yay, so maybe I'll get some stuff done.
    I'm enjoying reading the plans of Karenrn and national parker for possible trips, its good armchair reading!
    Waving to all and wishing a good Sunday!
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

I woke up today completely discouraged. One month of solid skills. One meal off, a restaurant meal and a few physical issues and I have gained the three pounds I lost. Good thing I have Beck skills waiting for me when my motivation flags. The scale is a number. My thinking errors is exaggerated thinking. (It will never be any different.) (I have no will power.) Food is planned. Excerise is planned. Book and advantage cards read. I am off to church. I bet my perspective changes by mid day.

FutureFitCheck: Great idea with the booties. I will remember that. I bought a couple of pairs from Nordstrom and they took them back after a day of wearing. I am willing to buy less and pay more for their high quality service and goods.
    curlyjax: i agree with finding gratitude in a job. A low commute and mobility is high on my list.
    BBE: You got me thinking about DS and my favorite board books. He wanted to keep them for "his little boy" someday. Goodnight Gorilla (read with funny voices.) Runaway Bunny and a series of books that were just baby faces with one word on each page. He was fascinated.
    onebyone: That sodium thing killed my weigh in today.
  • I made some progress in catching up and feel a bit better about that.

Still struggling with entitlement issues -- yesterday's variation was "I'm working hard so I deserve to eat more." It has the ring of truth about it, but it would only be true if my work were gathering roots all day or clearing stones from a farm field. It felt like I was working hard yesterday, but I wasn't burning calories with that work.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +40 560/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: so cool that you got time and exercise with the DGD. That reminded me that I wanted to schedule another visit with the new great-nephew, he'll be 3 months old this week. What worked last time was to bring supper over to their house for a visit. They don't have to get a baby out in the cold and I get a lot of time to hold him and play with him. For the price of planning a home-cooked cold supper to take over or picking up a pizza and salad, that's worth it!