Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Ugh. Uck. Blegh. Grrrr. Argh. That was my day. Didn't get to exercise (part of the problem). Food was not on plan. I ate breakfast several hours late, more than my planned lunch, and out to eat for dinner (not planned). CREDIT for checking in here, and at least eating a healthy breakfast, even if it was late.

I am feeling strong resistance to planning my food specifically. I may try Beck's strategy of planning several usual menu options for breakfast and lunch. Dinner and snacks will either be formulaic (x servings of vegetables, 0-1 portion meat, etc.) or preplanned. For years I have tried to be extremely prescriptive in my daily food planning, and I'm just not able to follow through. I use up most of that plan-execute energy for school right now, and it is already in very short supply for that.

BillBlueEyes, glad you got your walk in. How was your food?

Gardener Joy, for some reason, this time around I've been much better at sitting at a table without electronics to eat. This has been helpful when I'm alone.

Karen, RN, I never did check my book, but I believe I would have gone without those things. Dairy would have been the hardest for me to give up. My book had recipes in it, so it was easy to follow and nice to not have to plan for a while. Great job getting in that exercise with a visiting friend.

National Parker, I hope you are feeling better! Glad you are doing well with the meal planning, etc. Hope the rest of the work day went well, in spite of chocolate.

OnebyOne, good job moving in a positive direction. I hope you had a great lunch and are finding your painting enjoyable!

Pairie Chicken, glad you are liking Beck. Are you following IP plan again?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #107  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Weight has gone up 3.5lbs over two days now. It will go up again tomorrow because of the dim sum and the soup today.

I know the weight is sodium water retention. But I *feel* like it's an emergency. I feel like I need to panic. Alternately I feel powerless to do anything about it. Like that scale will climb and climb and climb.

Thankfully what I feel is just a feeling. The reality is I need to make a foodplan and stick to it. I'm not sticking to foodplan and my erratic weight is reflecting that.

Going to bed now. New start already happening. Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-13-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Brief check in. Wasted a good bit of time (embarrassed to say how much) tonight trying to find the home we lived in for several years in Italy on google earth. Hard to figure out when I wasn't of driving age when there. Not sure WHY I got so invested in that tonight, but wanted to see if it'd been torn down for condos, like I suspect. This originated when DH called about vacation dates for Italy and Canada ... then I did some quick math and called him back and said that I think it's smarter to go to Italy next Feb. than over my birthday this year because the rates for hotels and flights are just so much more at the tail end of the tourist season. In my heart, I knew going in Sept. would be exorbitant compared to the Feb. trips I've done, but I thought, one splurge will be fun. But it just doesn't feel right spending that much to either of us when we know it'd be much less a few months later, so ... Sniffled a bit and then took a hot bath. Clearly not the end of the world, but kinda hit my spirit a bit. If we'd have won the powerball, discussion would have resumed. haha.

OP food with the exception of biting into two chocolates that were NOT on plan, but oddly, am ok with throwing them out. I'm a bit hungry now, but too late to eat. Cup of tea with bath tonight was a nice treat. The last night with DH working nights this week. One of the first times that I've had four light nights without hitting the pantry hard.

We have plans to go out after work tomorrow night. I have the volunteering gig at lunch, so need to bring a good lunch and eat wise for breakfast. I have steel cut oatmeal as one option. Off to bed.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - R.I.P. Lewis Carroll (1898)

Diet Coaches/Buddies The last 24 hours have been successful in a string of little things: I reset the 4 time slot thermostat in the area where DW exercises in the mornings to her specification; I unraveled why CVS rejected her prescription; and I just ordered a replacement battery for her laptop. Laptop batteries can be bought in the range of $23 to $150 - each telling you to watch out for the others because they're cheap. I hadn't known that a laptop battery has a computer chip; it's that chip that can cause problems with various security software. Seems that if you leave your laptop plugged in all the time, the battery just dies for lack of use. The recommendation is to run it for an hour once a week at least.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in the cold to my evening meeting. I had to be careful on the ice on the sidewalks everywhere. At my meeting I took NO snacks, CREDIT moi - which helps with some over snacking earlier.

onebyone Yep, "Thankfully what I feel is just a feeling" - just a message from your brain to be evaluated.

Joy (gardenerjoy) I know about the "slippery slope."

FutureFitChick The general plans work for me - hope that strategy gives you some relief.

nationalparker All See's chocolates should be sent back to California where they belong. Just the thought that you can look for a specific building in Italy using google maps makes it worth the time.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a two walk day.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Consider the following sample escape plan as you brainstorm and craft your own.
Escape Plan: Stress Trap

Situation #1: The end of the school year - overwhelmed with year-end activities, recitals, ceremonies, presents, parties. Just dont have the time or energy to keep dieting!

Sabotaging Thoughts I can either diet or manage all of my responsibilities, but I can't do both.

Reminders I will always have stressful times. Losing weight is so important to me that I have to make it a top priority and de-prioritize other things.

Strategies Look at my schedule for this week and figure out what I can spend less time on or skip altogether.

. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 63
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
yesterday I met up with a friend I used to work with and had a great visit. We always have a great time complaining yet laughing about parenting etc and it was so great to see her. talking to someone else who really gets it is so therapeutic!
We also shared a sandwich for lunch to cut calories- but didn't share dessert

Exercise was walking around the mall a bit and shoveling a little- just a few inches of snow. Just a few inches is fine with me!
Bill- interesting about laptop batteries. We have one that just won't turn on- maybe i should try that.
karenrn- funny that you have many friends around now and less in july- I think here people tend to hibernate in the winter sometimes! Glad you are having fun with them.
nationalparker-ooh, I would have a really hard time with those chocolates. they're so small, its hard to just take one, and one of my favorites!
futurefitchick-Planning several menu options is a great idea. I know what you mean about burning out on planning/thinking!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #111  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan and within calories, one walk and one hike yesterday, so credit for yesterday. We weren't able to do the hike we planned because Sandee had more work to do than she anticipated, but the hike we did was great. We also purchased our tickets to Europe for the Camino. We will leave Sept 6th and return October 18th. We were able to get roundtrip tickets from Vancouver B. C. to Madrid and back for $790 on Air Canada and their partner Brussels Air. We were delighted to say the least. I'll be in Washington for my MIL's birthday in September and Sandee lives there so it works fine to leave from Vancouver.

Curlyjax Glad you had a nice visit with a friend, what would we do without them?

Bill I recently got a new battery for my laptop too. I waited too long to get it from Apple, but my brother ordered from Ifixit.com and installed that and more RAM for me when he was here.

Nationalparker Did you check airfares to Europe? If not, give it a go and remember the exchange rate is pretty darned good too. A trip anytime of the year is wonderful though. And oh the See's chocolates are my favorites. I love that brown sugar one and also the one with dates.

Onebyone You are surely getting a lot done. When I read the decluttering posts, I want to get in and do something here. However, with company I think it's best to just wait and focus on the house after she's gone. I'll have plenty of time. I'll leave it to you all to get me motivated again.

FutureFitChick School is so time consuming I can see why food planning takes a back seat. Whatever you do, you'll need to find something that doesn't take much time. Last night I made the shrimp curry in the Daniel Plan book. We all thought it was delicious and it only took a few minutes to make. I'm sure I'll make it again. We had it over white rice, which I'm sure they wouldn't go for, but I didn't have enough brown.

GardenerJoy Home alone can be a tough time for me too when I get in a certain mood. I might start off with a few pecans and raisons and then it all falls apart. I'm glad that mood doesn't strike me too often.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #112  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Feeling better this morning. Having some breakfast then heading out for a walk, remembering my knee brace today!! I forgot to weigh this morning. I've gotten out of the habit of weighing everyday because I used to shower 1st thing, before which I would shower. Now I am putting on my walking clothes, so need to re-add that step back in to my routine.

P.S. I found some of my extra 264' from the other morning. Indeed, it looked like I had several cups of eggnog with breakfast!

BillBlueEyes, glad to know the general planning works. This will be new for me. Interesting to know about the battery issue. Excellent job on skipping the meeting snacks! Always so jealous of you living in a walking community where you can get places without a car. Someday...

CurlyJax, awesome job sharing a sandwich with a friend. I've never done that!

Karen, RN, my Daniel plan book is written by Kristen Feola. Your travel plans sound lovely!! Great job on all of the exercise and being on plan with your food.

National Parker, how amazing that you lived in Italy!!! Sorry your vacation plans aren't going as you wished. Hope today is a great, on plan day for you!

OnebyOne, I hope today's numbers were better for you. When I read "climb and climb and climb" at first glance, I was hoping you were planning to climb stairs today! You can do it!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 01-14-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Funny PS
Old 01-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #113  
Green Tomatoes

Taking credit for no eating at another meeting last night. No food was served, but I'll take credit anyway.

I remembered that I can wear scarves the way that the lady in the Paris boutique taught me. It's an around the neck drape that would surely get food on it if I ate while wearing my scarves that way. But, since I don't eat at meetings, I want to remember to use that method when I go to meetings. It always makes me feel elegant, because it's Parisian, you know!

WI: -0.6 kg, Exercise: +30 490/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 01-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #114  

Height: 5' 2"

GardenerJoy The scarf trick is such a graceful help to guard your diet!

NationalParkerHope you two can get to Italy and perhaps even find the neighborhood you once lived in. Bet that was quite an experience.

KarenGreat you and Sandee are able to set up firm flights for that highly anticipated Camino. Sounds like things are really clicking. Now to concentrate on building endurance. Good luck.

Warm enough here to walk outside, and Asthma let me walk 3/4 mile today. Feeling hopeful. Most days it is simply too cold and the treadmill is such a poor excuse for exercise. However, I must remember that bone health improves with even the treadmill.

Almonds are replacing my beloved Walnuts for snacks on more days. Walnuts are listed as interfering with meds for low thyroid. Grrrr.

Sandy
Old 01-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Early check in today because I think our plans for the evening will run until late - at least I want to get things tackled before more snow tomorrow evening. Woke up when DH got home a bit early and thought, "I'll get on that exercise bike that I've not used in months before I shower..." so got right to it, only to discover that the electric outlets were all in use behind something large and couldn't plug in the bike for the display except to another that didn't reach. Not sure WHY DH left it this way when he reworked the tv set up in there, because it doesn't work - odd for him since he's a "fix-it" fellow. Came out a bit frustrated - more so at myself for not discovering that earlier so it could be reworked. Will see if extension cord will solve the problem. I want to use them all over and DH says some things just can't use them, but he's a solution-finder, so we'll have it set soon.

Karen - I'm excited that you were able to book your trip. I'm really anticipating that hike "with" you - I think it will be a great thinking journey and look forward to some good recaps. Now you have me looking at flying into another (non-Italian) city and then making our way there. We looked into the main four in Italy - Venice, Milan, Rome and Florence and multi-destination, etc., since sometimes that has been solidly cheaper. The small pensiones with few rooms that I like to stay at are more than double the cost still in Sept. so that's a bigger factor, in a way ... but BOY I'd love to make this work. My travel window is brief because of work, but a few hours on the computer could solidify it no/yes, hopefully before the typical weekend jackup of rates to skew my "data". It'll work out the way it's supposed to work out, I think. There's a part of me that thinks, perhaps we're meant to be home for something...?

Bill - What a full day of solutions. Impressed! I didn't know that about computers. The one IT tip I picked up from our contact at work was to charge your cells as much as possible - he said they're like little computers and you can't "overcharge" them. I need that guidance. I have a list of the oddball things I want us to tackle this weekend - financial, home improvement, solutions, etc., so if you rent yourself out... Keeping my fingers crossed that our ice/snow melts off a bit today. Be careful!

CurlyJax - Sounds like your time with your friend yesterday was just what the dr. ordered for some stress relief. I don't have a lot of friends outside of work who live in this city, so it's all phone calls when our lives have a blank slot to catch up.

Came back from talking to a friend here at work about step-daughter and was all bent out of shape rethinking some of the disrespect to DH and walked by the chocolate box, didn't take anything, but reached in desk drawer for a snack. Nothing is in there. Wish that wasn't my first reaction to any stress.

Weight under ticker by just a tick. Hoping to see a bit more of a drop by the weekend.

FutureFitChick - Credits for getting your walks in! Great job! I like the lines at the bottom of your signature - what you're looking forward to. I'm with you on the energy - I can't tell if some of it is age or all weight for me slowing down a bit. Also like the goal of stylish clothes - I feel better when I feel I put more effort into my look.

GardenerJoy - Enjoyed your "no eating at another meeting" ... you also withstood the idea of stopping on the way there/back, so that's a good credit! If you're inclined and able to, post a pic with the Parisian-style scarf. Would love to see that.

Love2Garden - Glad it's warmed up enough for a walk outside - hope it's sunny there for you, too! Do you do much winter garden planning in your mind? I always picture mine coming out like villa gardens before spring hits, but then work is super busy until June and I feel by then that I'm too far behind on things.

Thank you all for really enriching my life. I tell DH some of the info on here, and am impressed with the varied interests, knowledge, experiences, hobbies, skills, challenges each of you brings here. I know I am grateful.

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-14-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #116  
persist

S/C/G: 298/284/159

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Weight -0.7 this morning. Credit.
Managed to assess everything in my studio today. Tossed stuff. Piled stuff. Good job done. Credit.

Ate off plan 3x today. Felt cold. Felt tired. Used both as an excuse. Not great.

Off to bed.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:40 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Friday - Queen Elizabeth I crowned (England, 1559)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at Trader Joe's to replenish nuts and raisins. DW has decided that the health benefits of walnuts are sufficient to make her substitute walnut butter for peanut butter. Since Whole Foods only sells walnut butter diluted with cashews, she bought a bag to make her own. Trader Joe's doesn't even sell walnut butter and I discovered while examining that shelf that its almond butter is diluted with "less than 1% cashews."

Meals were on plan, CREDIT moi, afternoon snack too much. Evening snack didn't exist because we went to the movie The Revenant. Leonardo DiCaprio was good and the scenery breathtaking. But it went on and on and on - close to three hours and at least six gallons of blood.

onebyone I love reading "Tossed stuff" - it encourages me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) Neat to remember that you can make yourself feel elegant.

FutureFitChick Yay for the morning walk. LOL at "several cups of eggnog with breakfast."

nationalparker There just never seem to be enough electrical outlets. I own outlet strips wherever computer and electronics gather.

Karen (karenrn) - That looks like a good price for airplane tickets going from the US west coast. [Thanks for the link to ifixit - they have some good tips.]

curlyjax - Isn't this the essence of human companionship, "talking to someone else who really gets it is so therapeutic."

Sandy (love2garden) - Glad that temps in the 30's (F) is "Warm enough here to walk outside."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 3 Stress Traps

Escape Plan: Stress Trap . . .
Situation #1: The end of the school year - overwhelmed with year-end activities, recitals, ceremonies, presents, parties. Just dont have the time or energy to keep dieting!

Sabotaging Thoughts I can't disappoint the kids by not attending the events they want me to go to.
Reminders At this point, it's more important to take care of myself. The kids will get over their disappointment. Besides I can go to some of the events, just not all of them.
Strategies Go to the baseball game late. Ask Rebecca to take the kids to Ben's birthday party. Skip the party for the teachers and staff.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 63
Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #118  

S/C/G: ?/151/135

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Great hike with my 3 friends yesterday. We went almost 11 miles. About 1 mile is because we took a wrong turn and had to turn back. Luckily we were all fine and it didn't have so much elevation gain. We all hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc together 2 1/2 years ago, so it was so fun to all be together and hiking again. Food was on plan also, a big credit day.

Today we will walk this morning, then go to The Revenant (we have to because it got so many nominations) and then happy hour. We're going to the new theater
with the comfortable reclining seats. From the sounds of it, Bill, I may just get in a nap. Tickets were purchased on-line and seats selected and are great.

Bill, what do you think of walnut butter? Glad you found Ifixit helpful. My brother told me about it and we would have used some of the videos if dh would have had to install my new battery and RAM, but brother was still here when it arrived and he is very experienced. He will buy a computer and put in more RAM right from the get go.

Nationalparker Try not to let that darned step-daughter undo you. So much easier said than done. I hope you can get the exercise bike working and you can get on that and strip your stress away.

Loves2garden You're right the treadmill is just not the same as being outdoors. I'm glad to have it sometimes in the summer though. Sandee, my camino friend, and I are both on the 2000 mile challenge so we're hoping to be in really good shape when we go. We both did great yesterday (11 miles) and feel good this morning, but the test is to be able to do more like 15 miles day after day.

Gardenerjoy What a good idea to use a scarf to assist in preventing eating. And pretty too. I'm trying to be a bit more fashionable, but I've got a long way to go.

FutureFitChick Glad you're feeling better and were getting out for a walk. How much longer will you have school? My Daniel Plan book must be different. It has 3 different authors.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #119  
Green Tomatoes

Im working harder in the New Year in many ways, mostly due to a resolution to stay off Facebook between 9am and 6pm. But thats made a new problem surface a desire to eat in the 3pm to 5pm slot. Thats my transition time from my creative work to paperwork (what do we call paperwork now that its mostly electronic?).

At the transition, Im usually feeling disappointment that I didnt complete as much during my creative time as I hoped and frustration that Im tackling a mountain of paperwork and Ill make barely a dent in it before its time to fix supper. Disappointment and frustration make me want to eat.

When I was working less hard, of course, the problem was worse -- but I noticed it less. I could always pretend that Ill get more done tomorrow. Now that Im working as hard as I can, I no longer have that comfort. This is as good as it gets. And it doesnt feel good enough.

So, obviously, I need some more patience. And, I need to work on setting realistic expectations. But stating what I need is easier than figuring out how to actually develop patience and realistic expectations. That feels like a whole new skill set that I dont have.

While I'm working on that, this response card might help:

Quote:
When I'm feeling distressed, overwhelmed, or behind schedule, drink a nice cup of hot tea before eating anything for any reason.
WI: +0.6 kg, Exercise: +40 530/1200 minutes for January, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: we're also rethinking travel plans this year. We had a big 6-week England/France trip penciled in for this fall, but now we're thinking of putting it off for a year. It's both a money thing and a timing thing for us. We're trying to get in lots of trips while we're in good health and a good financial position, but every-other-year probably will work better than every-year.
I'm attaching a photo of one of my Paris scarves. In the winter, I pull that first wrap more loosely, like a cowl, to fill the space between my neck and jacket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joy-1059.jpg (57.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 173/163/ 154

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Playing catch up and compiling a mile long to-do list for the weekend. Sounds like I am in good company (BBE and Nationalparker).I knew to be grateful for my three weeks off because now everything is shoved into tiny cracks of time.

Still I continue OP with Beck working 90-95% within the perimeters of a written plan - the few exceptions being a now rare "standing while eating" spoon licking session and a quick bite on my way to sitting down. Credit for all the progress I have made in that department. Rereading Day 26 on all or nothing thinking has been helpful. This is a long term journey. I have an image of Karen's Camino walk step by step and overcoming resistance. I will weigh in on Sunday. I like my new graphing app. and exercise is planned for the day - weight training with the circuit machines and a 30 minute bike.

True success in finally finding a pair of black boots that I can wear all day without hurting my feet. I have severe plantars faciatiis. I have been seeing a chiro who cured it several years ago and I think we have it on the run. But I have had to be ruthless in donating shoes (very expensive shoes) that hurt my feet. At least I have a niece who has the same size feet as mine. I have been mailing them to her in Seattle. Hundreds of dollars later I have found a pair of Dansko boots that I think will work for Ireland. Credit for persistence. Credit for not settling for a life of discomfort. It really takes persistent effort to remain vital and active after 50. Crazy. I never would have guessed the amount of maintenance required.

Pantry challenge continues. I have a basket floored freezer and I can see the kitchen floor tiles when I open it now. This has been very interesting. I have definite feelings of discomfort when I am not stocked to the gills with food all around me. I have meals planned and cognitively know there is enough but there is a definite apprehension that I am glad to uncover.

Uncover, discover and discard, right?

Last edited by maryann; 01-15-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Closed Thread