Anyone interested in starting a 9 or 12 week challenge?

You're on Page 11 of 15
Go to
  • Haha my body doesn't need to do it but it seems to like the dramatics. I'll report back tomorrow morning as soon as I weigh in and let you guys know whether it all came rushing back or not. I'm not copping to it yet.
    And I realize that my reservations about the gym are probably all unfounded but.. I don't know I feel apprehensive. I used to work out at the gym at my old college all the time, but that was in my hometown and my best friend, who is totally fit, came with me. Its funny how I'd rather be seen with a fit person- you'd think I'd dread the comparison. I'm going to bite the bullet though I think. Maybe after a couple of more weeks on track. I have bought a gym membership before and, like, never used it. So, I need to earn it, but then I think I'll probably get one. I really need access to a treadmill and weights.
  • Hey thanks you for the warm welcome!
    I go swimming from time to time and i go to the gym almsot everyday, although my workout are short ( i get really tired about the 35th minute). i try to eat healthy and soon i will have a test performed which will require me to drink lots and ltos of water with lgucose, so i am a little worried this will cripple the little success i've had so far.
  • Thanks guys we had the talk and he said only healthy snacks! I've been a mess lately need to get back to my routine!
  • Basementcat- in my opinion, it's a myth that you have to workout longer than thirty minutes. I think people invest too much in being on the treadmill for hours at a time. It's about intensity, not endurance. For me, it's all about strength training and sprint intervals (or straight-up running, but if you're in good enough shape to run for 20 minutes straight, which I am not, you should do it at a steep incline). I do 20 minutes of 30 sec walking, 30 sec running, etc. this keeps your body guessing and burns more calories than walking for an hour four days a week. Your body is an amazing adaptive machine and it gets used to an hour of walking very quickly.
    As for strength training, I do about five reps each (or to failure) of lifting heavy amounts of weight, starting out at a minimum of 2 15-lb dumbbells or 30 lbs on a barbell or smith machine, but it's easy to quickly move up to 60 total lbs or more. 50 reps with 3 lb dumbbells is time consuming and ineffective, more aerobic exercise than building muscle (which is the most effective way to burn up fat and lose inches). You can google weight lifting to find the different areas you want to target and a short tutorial on how to do it, if you're unfamiliar with strength training. I do as much weight as I can, to failure (or until I just can't lift it anymore), which usually takes 4-5 reps. I love leg presses, as we girls have much more lower body strength than upper body strength like guys. I can leg press like 130 lbs on the machine at the gym. They make your thighs crazy toned.
    Anyway, the point of that rambling is that, as long as you make sure your exercise is effective, 35 minutes at the gym is more than enough time! It was helpful for me when I realized that, because spending two hours being tortured at the gym was always a big awful daunting thing to me, and made me feel discouraged when I got tired after only 30 or 45 minutes. Then my dad, a trainer who lost 70 lbs a couple of years ago, explained this stuff to me, about going to failure and sprint intervals and how muscle burns fat like crazy, and reassured me that unless I devoted my life to body building and ate only protein, I won't "bulk up" if I lift heavy weight, which I was afraid I would. Swimming is also an incredible whole-body exercise, I wish I wasn't too self conscious to do it!
    Also, the water and glucose should not make you gain any real weight, just water weight, which can be easily shed by drinking 2x as much regular water (no glucose) as you normally would, and do a good intense exercise where you work up a really good sweat, and anything you retain should woosh off fairly quickly. That's what I assume anyway, but I've never done a test like that. Did you ask your dr if the glucose would make you gain?

Cyn88- I'm glad he's understanding. I think we would be surprised how much our SO wants us to succeed and wants to help, but just doesn't know how until we tell them. He sounds like a real sweetie
    I was in the same boat as you last week, struggling to stay on the wagon. I think I came dangerously close to falling off completely but forcing myself to keep weighing and keep coming on here kept me accountable and optimistic. It's really hard to keep at it alone, and we are your best tools, so use us baby! Lol.

I'm thankful to say that I FINALLY beat the binge monster that was chasing me last week. Andddd this morning I weighed in at 250, which means I'm 12 lbs down, my weight yesterday wasn't a fluke, and I'm about to be out of the 250's!!! All awesome motivators to keep going.
    And I think I did really well on my psych test this morning, hooray
    How are all you ladies doing today?
  • basementcat- swimming is awesome exercise! I wish I had a pool near me. Water with glucose? Hmmm.. I'm not sure what that would do to your weight, but I'm sure it won't make it go up too much.

Cyn-- Awesome! That must be a relief. Looks like you've got a good man for understanding and supporting you.

Munchie- That's so funny, my dad always tells me the same thing. He's not a trainer but he lost some weight and toned up a lot and tells me to lift until failure and not worry about bulking up. You would have to consume some serioussss protein as a woman to bulk up and I'm at about 60-70 g a day. Good job for beating the binge! 12 pounds is awesome!!! Good job on your test, too.

I found out I'm not preggo *phew*... lol

I did well on my Geography test which I stayed up all night studying for- bad idea.

Annnnnd I lost 1.6 pounds! Haha, after not seeing the scale budge, being at 173.4 is awesome! And I even weighed myself after eating for the day. Yaaay for the whoosh

Hope everyone is doing well!!
  • Mirax- it sounds like you had an excellent day! I have had that *phew* moment before at the gyn lol as a student, it's a nail-biter. I'm glad we both kicked a on our exams I LOVE the woosh, haha. And yeah, my dad is an encyclopedia on weight loss and it's funny because we are the only two people who have had real weight problems in our family, but he's my guru and you should have seen the inches melting off of me when I was lifting with him! Wow!

I'm having breakfast for dinner: 2 buttermilk waffles, sugar-free syrup, and low-sodium precooked bacon. 280 calories.
    I'm considering adding 2 poached eggs with it, which would make it 420. And even more delicious.
  • Lol 250 again this morning. I swear excitement has calories for me. I get really thrilled about a number on the scale and inevitable weigh more the next day. But I know that I was allowing myself a little larger portion sizes yesterday. So back to strict portion control today
    My best friend got us and our boyfriends tickets to bonnaroo, a $250 value, for volunteering for a day at an animal shelter in Manchester tn. Bonnaroo is a huge 3 day music festival that takes place every year. This year, radiohead, the red hot chili peppers, phish and the beastie boys are the headliners. It's a pretty big deal. We went last year and I had a miserable time because I was hot and fat and most people wear shorts and a bikini top but obviously not this girl. We were also ill prepared for camping in the scorching heat for 3 days. But this year, I want to relax and have a really good time. And I want to be smaller. I want to be comfortable enough in my body to wear shorts or a tank top (not both at the same time haha too much skin flying around for me). I don't want to have to wear jeans and a t-shirt the whole time, it's miserable. And I'm really sad that I won't be much skinnier in time. But it's a good goal point to keep in mind.
  • Munchie- Bonnaroo! That's so cool!! I've always wanted to go...
    I totally know what you mean about not being able to enjoy yourself because you feel uncomfortable. You should go and enjoy it and have a good time no matter what. You are doing so well and I'm sure you will be down some more my then anyway!!

I'm having my birthday party tonight at a sushi bar. Helllllo sodium bloat! That's ok, I am going to enjoy it and deal with the consequences later. I weighed in at 172.6 this morning but I am too afraid to log it right now since I know tonight will be a diet disaster lol.

Hope everyone is doing well today!
  • The water with glucose (74 gramms in 200 ml of water) is a liver funciton test. I decided to do a full health check up - so i went to an endocrinologist, healthy eating expert and soon to an OB GYN. This test shouldnt have affected my diet too much, but remains to be seen.
    I love your advice on activities in the gym munchievicitm! To be honest after the first half hour at the gym i get really bored and burned out, so 35 mins is the maximum time i could stay there even if i wasnt exhausted already.
    So far my diet uh expert has recommended i change my diet every 2 weeks, to keep the body guessing and not let myself get adapted to one type of food intake, so that i continue loosing weight. So far this has proven to be working, i've had great results for this week.
  • Mirax- it's a great weekend, and only about an hour and a half from my hometown (Chattanooga). After how miserable I was last year, I wouldn't have paid to go this year but if it's free and all I have to do is hand out flyers for a day, I'm there! I'm trying not to get too hyped up about losing a bunch of weight because I know exactly what that pressure does to my body, but I did decide to get the gym membership because I wanted to tone. My arms are my big problem area. IN my avatar you can see that even though my waist is small, my arms are still chunky. Boo. So I've always been self conscious about wearing tank tops but they're so comfortable! Especially when it's hot. So I'm hoping that I'll get some tone and lose a few inches from my arms so I won't be stressed out about them constantly. But I'm going to have a good time either way!
    Basementcat- I loved working out at the gym doing the routine I gave above. It was so invigorating and beat me up and word me out in about 20 minutes. And stretching is AMAZING afterwards. My gym had a stretch machine, it was like a little stool that you could sit on a couple of different ways and bend and stretch and I would sit there for like 20 minutes after my workout (probably looking crazy) because it was like a massage, it was sooo nice. I would buy one for my house to sit in all the time! But they're like 1000 bucks. Lol.
    Also, switching up the diet works for me too, but instead of every couple of weeks, I just have a cheat meal every week. You can eat ANYTHING, and you will probably see a little gain the next day but I always get a great woosh the next day and it keeps me from plateauing or cheating because anything I crave I know i can have at the end of the week.
  • I'll definitely use you guys so good news I'm engaged!! Talk about motivation for weight loss hope you all are having great weekends!
  • Woohoo! I was going to post on your thread about exercise and say congrats but I typed out what I was going to say here, above on this page. Strength training plus yoga makes inches fall off of me! Few reps, high weight, lift to failure. I'm always amazed because I start seeing tone even above 200 lbs.
  • Cyn88 - congratulations! I am green with envy now! (in a good way). I'm sure you will look stunning at your wedding, regardless of your size!
    On an unrelated matter - i am down to 179.8 lbs today.
  • Way to go basement cat!

I have a couple of nsv's to share ive lost 5% of my body weight this month, and the first week I was logging, I was eating 54% fat every day. Now I'm down to 30-ish % fat, 50-ish% carbs and each week my protein goes up and my carbs go down. I love being able to see my nutritional progress.
    On the other hand I took progress pictures and I look bigger than at the beginning of the month! I'm not discouraged though because 1. I think I was holding it in without even meaning to in my official before pictures, 2. I'm wearing a tshirt and yoga pants in the first one and a white tank top and jeans in the progress pictures(I'll wear that for the rest of them) and 3. Another nsv, I fit comfortably into size 20 jeans that were uncomfortably tight, and pajama pants that used to be straining at The seams are a little looser now, so I do notice a difference.
  • Thanks everyone!! I'm so proud of myself they had donuts at work and didn't cave yay! Lol
    Munchie yay! Awesome for you I love when clothes start getting looser so encouraging !