Life After Phase 1

You're on Page 17 of 30
Go to
  • Quote: BTW, the Quaker Oats pancake mix was also very good, though I made them too thick the first time. Second time was a charm... wonderful with lots of blueberries. Hmmm. I think that's what I'll have this morning when I get back from the gym.
    Thanks, I have to get groceries tomorrow night I will look for them, I have a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cakes I will try and find it, I never did tryit but it was within phase 3 guidelines, I will find it and let you know.
    Did you ever try the New Hope Mills muffin and cake mixes?

I also cant work out in the mornings ... well I can but it would be classified as sleep walking rather than exercising. I have to say I have been keeping up with the exercising.... kills me somedays as I am a fundamentally lazy person when it comes to exercise but I am doing in.

Yogurt I think has to be plain but you can flavour it yourself as the store bought fruit ones generaly have lots of sugar... Yoda whats your take on yogurt?
  • Quote: Thanks, I have to get groceries tomorrow night I will look for them, I have a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cakes I will try and find it, I never did tryit but it was within phase 3 guidelines, I will find it and let you know.
    Did you ever try the New Hope Mills muffin and cake mixes?

I also cant work out in the mornings ... well I can but it would be classified as sleep walking rather than exercising. I have to say I have been keeping up with the exercising.... kills me somedays as I am a fundamentally lazy person when it comes to exercise but I am doing in.

Yogurt I think has to be plain but you can flavour it yourself as the store bought fruit ones generaly have lots of sugar... Yoda whats your take on yogurt?
    I couldn't find the Quaker pancake mix at any local supermarket (and we have a bunch around here), but then my sister found it at Walgreen's, of all places. Never tried New Hope Mills... should I?

I've got a lazy streak also, and if I don't get it done early in the day, it don't get done!

re: the yogurt question, I could have sworn I read that it had to be plain in Phase 3, though now I can't seem to find that reference. (I'll keep looking.) I used plain, added fruit and muesli, and it was plenty sweet for me... though a little Splenda can be added, if necessary.
  • So for the past 2 nights on phase 3, I wake up around 4 and am so so hungry! Anyone else this happened to?? I am fine by the the time I get out of bed though; 7ish.
  • Quote: Dumb question re: the yogurt you can have in phase three -- does it have to be plain? I can't stand plain yogurt. I used to eat yopliat, the 100 calorie/no fat one...possible? I'm still pretty far away (30 pounds or so) but I saw it in the store today and got excited, and would love feedback.
    I had (and still have) the plain, organic yogurt, but I mix it with whatever fruit I'm having for breakfast plus a bit of splenda or stevia. It tastes just as sweet as the sugared yogurts except it doesn't have as many carbs.
  • Does it HAVE to be nonfat yogurt? One of my treasures in life is Trader Joe's whole milk Greek yogurt. Is there any way I'd be able to incorporate that into Phase 3/4?
  • Quote: Does it HAVE to be nonfat yogurt? One of my treasures in life is Trader Joe's whole milk Greek yogurt. Is there any way I'd be able to incorporate that into Phase 3/4?
    I believe Phase 3 notes using low fat (since fat is then required at breakfast); Phase 4 you get whatever you want.
  • Thanks guys -- I know I'll get over my yogurt problem!
  • Thanks, Novak! Sounds okay to me. I was in Trader Joe's today and noted that they do make a fat-free version of their Greek yogurt, so I'm sure I can handle that for a couple of weeks. GRIN.
  • Quote: So for the past 2 nights on phase 3, I wake up around 4 and am so so hungry! Anyone else this happened to?? I am fine by the the time I get out of bed though; 7ish.
    Not exactly... I get UP around 4:00.

But I don't eat until I'm downtown at my desk, with my Starbuck's, reading emails - around 6ish. But timing aside, I don't recall waking up hungry on any phase of the diet. And since I was generally up to use the "loo" at least once during the night, I had the opportunity to notice.

Perhaps someone else experienced this?
  • I'm an early bird, too, Novak. (It helps to have hungry horses screaming at you for their breakfast at first light. ) Just curious, what time do you go to bed? I am usually in the sack by 9 p.m. and find it hard sometimes to get down that last protein pack in the evening or even remember to have it.
  • Quote: I'm an early bird, too, Novak. (It helps to have hungry horses screaming at you for their breakfast at first light. ) Just curious, what time do you go to bed? I am usually in the sack by 9 p.m. and find it hard sometimes to get down that last protein pack in the evening or even remember to have it.
    My usual is 9:00 as well, though some nights in Phase 1, I was just so sleepy, it was tough to stay awake that long! I didn't feel run down or anything, my body was just telling me it was time to go to bed. The same thing happened to my chiro on IP, and we discussed the phenomenon. I generally complied, knowing that the best fat-burning time was during sleep. Do get that last snack in, however... you want to get the protein into the mix while your body is looking for something to burn.

My sister in NH is down to one horse, and he doesn't usually say much until she gets out to the stable. But she's an earlier riser than me, so he never has to wait long. BTW, loved your watermelon story.
  • You should have seen how fast I stuffed that piece into our thoroughbred's mouth. LOL. He was champion of the day so deserved it (one of our young riders was riding him). He'd been going **** bent for leather through the jumpoffs and it was already over 80 degrees at 8 a.m. He sure earned that piece.
  • Quote: You should have seen how fast I stuffed that piece into our thoroughbred's mouth. LOL. He was champion of the day so deserved it (one of our young riders was riding him). He'd been going **** bent for leather through the jumpoffs and it was already over 80 degrees at 8 a.m. He sure earned that piece.
    Cool... where do you show? My sister mostly takes retirees She had a beautiful (but feisty) Galoubet mare a few years ago on lease... the owner sold her for breeding, and we went to see her foal last year. So cute... and feisty, like his mom.
  • Bless your sister--retirees are the best and deserve the best. My daughter's old eventer got a golden parachute and is living out his days on 200 acres with a girlfriend up in Ithaca--fancy shoes, the best blankets--he's the most expensive of all our horses! LOL.

Galoubet was a lovely horse. My daughter rides dressage and she loves Selle Francaises.

We show locally mostly--hunter jumper. I don't show h/j, I do endurance but that unfortunately involves spending hours and hours trailering to sites often hundreds of miles away, so I don't get to do it much anymore. I've started jumping my little Arabian filly (who knew Arabians could jump??) and she's doing nicely, so I may switch disciplines...
  • Quote: Bless your sister--retirees are the best and deserve the best. My daughter's old eventer got a golden parachute and is living out his days on 200 acres with a girlfriend up in Ithaca--fancy shoes, the best blankets--he's the most expensive of all our horses! LOL.
    I should retire so well!

Hey, you may appreciate this... the first person to dote on my sister's IP results as she entered Phase 3 was her farrier! He's a cutie... young, lean, studied at Cornell, looks nice sweating over the fire with his shirt off... You get the picture.

He gave her a congratulations and a big hug (little brotherly, of course!) We both got a kick out of that.