TOM TM- sorry to the guys

• So I have a question, and I hope that someone here knows what this is. Last month, TOM was 10 days late, and then lasted 10 days...which is 3 days longer than mine usually are. It;s been 10 days...and then next one has already started. No cravings just whacked out hormones...any suggestions? Has thins happened to any of you? Thanks...kind of odd I know, but I figured I'd ask here before I went and spent the money to ask my doctor...since I can't afford that right now.
  • Funny that you'd ask this as I was thinking of posting something very similar...my dear friend was here, lasting 8 days instead of 6 and invited herself back after only 21 days and she is accompanied by cramps and is very unusually heavy. I used to be regular-ish with a cycle of 28-30 days, like clockwork.

I'm approaching "peri-menopause" as my doctor so kindly put it....I'm not going to make an appt. just for this as I was just in last month for my physical. I think it is related to my new lifestyle but really have nothing to substantiate this -or- it could be peri-menopause. I just wish the Peri part would be done, I'd go for full on menopause in a heartbeat!

So Yes, PossibleSuccess, it has just very recently happened to me as lovely as it is.
  • I've been having flighty TOM since I started losing weight. Is it heavier than normal at all?

I ended up having a 20 day cycle, if you can call it that lol. I ended up bleeding 15 days out of 20, then repeat. Mine was also extremely heavy though. This only happened for 2 months before I couldn't handle it anymore.
    I went to the Dr and she says that screwy cycles are usually a cause of an anovulatory cycle (no ovulating). She said due to my weight loss (26 lbs only) it *could* throw off my hormones because subcutaneous fat will release small amounts of estrogen.

SO, I started on some birth control, a low level of estrogen and my bleeding stopped the next day. It could be coincidence though too. I haven't bled since I've started and that was 9 days ago. I'm hoping when I get to the sugar pills that I have a normal TOM.
  • Bodies are so weird. My cycles become ridiculously regular once I lose 5% or more. But I have PCOS and when I'm not losing weight, my cycles can run from 1 month to 9 months.
  • OK, thank you. I sure hope I'm not peri-menupausal(SP?) I'm only 20. I already have the knee of a 60 year old...I don't need that too...
  • Weight loss will absolutely do it - it isn't uncommon to have a heavy bleed or even an 'extra' period, as your body adjusts and processes the estrogen released by fat loss. I had something very similar happen to me - short cycle with long bleeds, and then my body settled into a lighter period every 28 days, pretty much like clockwork.

Unless it persists I wouldn't personally go into the doctor for it. Give them a call and explain your cycle plus your weight loss, and unless they say it is abnormal I wouldn't actually go in, but just have them note it on your chart.
  • I never had any touble but I could imagine it could happen though. The changes your body is going through would make sense that this would get thrown around a little. I would defintely keep an eye on things and see a dr if you have any other changes that seem severe.