Beans. beans, the magical fruit lol.

• I keep seeing these beans, split peas, mixed lentils at my grocerie store. i always think hey that would be good for me. But I have no idea what to do with them. I'm not a very imaginative chef. Anyone have any healthy recepies for soups or something?
  • This is super easy....one cup of lentils (no need to pre-soak)
    four cups of water
    one small onion-chopped up a bit
    salt. pepper, and a little cumin if you have it.
    You can add veggies like carrots, celery, and spinache if you like.
  • Yes, LOVE lentil stew...best recipe I've had is from a place called Aladdin's in Ithaca when I was like 12....so good I still remember it 15 years later. Same recipe marigrace posted, but add a small cubed potato and tsp or 2 of a season salt blend....yummy!
  • Oh, I'm a bean aholic-- I can help!!

For the best lentils you'll ever eat...

In a large soup pot
    One onion chopped
    One TBS olive oil
    One package of dried lentils
    2 cups chopped carrots
    1 pack cubed butternut squash
    1tsp black pepper
    1tsp cumin
    1tsp paprika
    1tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)

Sautee the onions in the olive oil. Add lentils, chopped carrots squash and spices. Add one quart of water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 1-2 hours. Add water as needed.

This will make a soup with a thick consistency.

Split pea soup

1 onion chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pack dried split peas
    2 cups carrots, chopped
    1 tsp black pepper
    1tsp cumin.

Sautee the onion in the olive oil then add peas, carrots, and spices. Add one quart of water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 45 minutes

Garbanzo Curry

1 package of dried garbanzo beans (you can used canned for this recipe if you want it to be quicker)

3 tomatoes chopped

1 onion chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 TBS curry powder

1 TBS olive oil.

If you use dried garbanzos, soak in cold water overnight then cook for about 45 minutes to an hour until tender before adding to recipe.

Sautee onion and garlic in olive oil. Add chopped tomatoes and sautee until tomatoes are soft. Add curry powder. Then add garbanzos and cook until beans are coated in sauce and heated through.
  • I eat beans every single day.

Lots of times I just make beans, make some steamed greens and some rice and add some hot sauce. Other times I'll make a lentil soup or a indian lentil type dish. One thing you could do is just pick a bean, chickpea for example and google for a recipe.

Here is one of my favorite bean recipes to use as a snack, it is sooo good:
    http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...chickpeas.html
  • I eat some variant of beans and lentils - often I make a bean, lentil, or split pea soup and after the initial meal use it for lunches. easy, filling, tasty.

Also, have a look at Bob's Red Mill soups to get you started - vegi soup and/or 13 bean soup. Instructions on the package and you can modify it if you like. You can also buy them in bulk.
  • Ubergirl ! That garbanzo curry sounds sounds fabulous.
  • beans and split peas also do great in the crockpot. I prefer my split pea soup to be smooth, not have chunks of veggies, so I always use a handblender once it's cooked and it's so smooth and creamy after that when I cook it in the crockpot.

I've never been able to develop a taste for other legumes, but I do keep trying.