Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 17 of 19
Go to
  • <~~~~~ Im feeling great! For the first time in almost a month! Lets hope it stays that way when I get back to the shop tomorrow!

Asthma is kicking up, but I think thats because of all the paper peeling...I suspect its going to get worse once they start ripping apart the house. But thats ok.

Oh.......on the major plus side, Ive managed to get hubs to clean out some paper work. He actually had to empty the shredder 2x!!! Progress!

Food.....I think Ive come up with a plan. I just need to talk to the person who will be my personal chef (on the cheap) I'll let you know how it goes.

Exercise....paper scraping! I should have some awesome shoulders

Chat with you all tomorrow.
  • I'm starting to notice the "Just one won't hurt" sabotaging thought. And, eating that one (chip or nut or whatever) standing up. Oddly enough, I think working on the standing up part of that might be the fastest fix. I'm really unlikely to take one chip and then sit down to eat it. So, recommitting to the "No eating while standing" rule.

WI: +0.65kgs , Exercise: +57, 1146/1200 minutes for September, Food: op (mostly), Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I'm pretty sure I'd call a chocolate-dipped strawberry a fruit! I'm pretty sure I would manage to skip my normal chocolate treat on the same day, though.

onebyone: probably best to stay out of rain, especially when recovering from stress and illness. Love the way you've dealt with that perfectionist voice -- what does it know about art, anyway? I think your avatar is great!

ChinaMaine: Yay for eating the yummy apple ice cream and ditching the less appealing pumpkin. I must admit I waited to get a neti pot until after my husband tried it! He uses it in the shower, but I take baths (which would be disgusting) so I do it over the sink and it's not messy at all.

maryblu: yay for goal! Even if it was anti-climatic. I'd love to hear that story. Glad you got so much from the concert experience.

Walking Princess: welcome back! I'm amazed at how motivated I am to keep on my plan when I know I'm going to write a post every day -- hope that works for you, too.

RobinW: hope all goes well with the bathroom. I'm so happy that you're feeling great after all this time!

Nuxmaga: Good job on dealing with the sabotaging thought and resisting the chocolate. I don't know that this would work for everyone, but I've been having a daily snack of dark chocolate chips and nuts in a tiny ramekin -- both are touted for their health benefits in small amounts and I find it's an acceptable substitute for the candy that I used to eat.
  • Monday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant with appropriate sized servings - a rather rare experience - CREDIT moi for being on plan despite cleaning my plate.

Sent a second day with no exercise, Oh Well. Feel like The Lost Weekend.

maryblu - Kudos for swimming September and Congrats for dropping down to under goal. I join the chorus who want to hear the story, every detailed ounce of it, LOL. Our Honey Crisps continue to be superb, hope yours get there. And Kudos for being young enough to take in a Boz Scaggs concert.

Thought you should know that DW made the Easy Fajitas recipe from page 7 of Oct09 Nutrition Action Health Letter. Was good, differing from a traditional recipe only by substituting black beans for some of the chicken - a good mix.

onebyone - Ouch for the rain after you're feeling better; Kudos for the acceptance via "not in my hands." Hope your visit with you mother went well.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for feeling great - hope that's the new plateau. Exciting news about the personal chef (Michael Jackson had one also); what's the story? Good luck doing the prep for bathroom overhaul.

ThinksLikeAThinPerson (ChinaMaine) - Kudos for not eating pumpkin ice cream when it was in your hand and already paid for. That would be a major event in my life were it to occur. LOL at aerobic raindrop dodger; failed that duty yesterday, but I suspect another opportunity will arise.

Are you ever in for a treat with your Delicata Squash. We halve them, scape the seeds, add a touch of Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter, and bake til tender. DW also add a touch of butter to hers. I've had them with nothing on them because they're so naturally sweet.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Kudos for just jumping back on plan; it's the only sane choice. One donut is just an Oh Well event; the Beck strategies need to be called into play to stop it from spreading. Glad you're back.

Thanks for the thought about my chocolate dipped strawberries. Yep, I do need to acknowledge the chocolate part and account for it.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for 11000 steps and avoiding the chocolate bar. But Extra Kudos for resisting the Sabotaging Thought, "I'll only eat a bit of it" - yeah, right.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Apparently it's chocolate Sabotaging Thought day in the Beck world, LOL. Kudos for resisting "Just one won't hurt" - yeah, right (didn't I recently say that?) Using the no eating while standing rule is a genius response to killing that one.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 1
    Benefits of Weight Loss
    . . .
    Losing weight will likely affect them all for the better, but I'd like you to think about each of these specifically. For example, losing weight might mean feeling comfortable undressing in front of your partner
    . . .
    The Beck Diet Solution, pg 55-56.
  • Hello!

Can I join in here? My copy of "The Beck Diet Solution" arrived in the post a few days ago, and today is my "Day 1". I've been counting calories and exercising, but because for me weight loss is part of a larger "overhaul" (I'm in therapy, dealing with lots of issues) I thought it would be good to also see if I could apply some "techniques" to weight loss. I'm doing my best to take the entire program and stave off the "Ah, you don't need to do this step"-thoughts
  • Welcome Salsa chip this a great place. I too am starting with the Beck process.. I am on day three.

My free weekend didn't turn out as I wanted it to but it is still pretty good. Eating was really bad for me this weekend. Today I not only am on day three which is the sitting down and eating. Which I thought was going to be easy, but no it's harder than I thought. I am also doing the NO S starting today. I was up almost all night (due to ulcer acting up) thinking of myself, how I want to change and what I need to do to do it.

Today is a new day and the start of the path to self improvement, emotionally and physcially.
  • hi everyone,

another quickie! sigh. may be like this for a while, sadly.

had a little bit of a think yesterday in the car, and realized how many things i'm putting on hold because we're TTC. like weight loss and marathon training. fact is, everything suffers when i don't put my health and weightloss efforts first. stress gets more stressful, i'm distracted, i don't sleep as well. doesn't really matter what's going on - this has got to come first, because if it doesn't, the rest of my life is harder. and this takes a fair amount of work. time and energy. there are things that make it take less time and energy, but that's what planning is for. for me anyway, planning has to be a non-negotiable.

round i-don't-even-know to jeanie! (shaking head in disbelief that i needed to figure this out AGAIN.)

am back on the wagon, 100%. made a plan last night for today and tomorrow, and realized i needed to cook onions and peppers for my sandwich. which i did at 10:00 at night. today i'm really, really glad i took the time. it's so much easier when it's all written down in stone and packed the night before...also planned workout time in, so another item checked off.

i'm looking forward to losing again. that was a really exciting time for me, and i've missed it!
  • Salsa Chip!!

Today wasnt too bad!

Exercise was cleaning, moving furniture and decluttering!

Talked to the fella today who I wanted to be my own personal chef. He has some major self esteem issues that I had absolutely no idea he had!!! WOW! When I told him my idea, what I wanted him to do and that he could start his own business doing this relatively inexpensively he gave me pretty much every reason why he couldnt do it. All personal stuff that I knocked way out of the field. By the time he left his brain was running 100mph and he was thrilled with the idea and that I was more than willing to help him out.

Now I'll be honest here....I want him to do this for purely selfish reasons! He's a great cook and he's looking for work. So why not make your own work. If he can tap into the working women market around here he'll have it made! As long as they dont take him away from me

He said he will come talk to me tomorrow. Hopefully he didnt talk himself out of it over night.

Im off......exciting day tomorrow! They start deconstructing the bathroom in the morning.

Have a wonderful evening.
  • monday check in
    Hi Coaches

Well I think I have managed to cover my 1/2 of the rent this month. It's important for me to keep this promise to DH. So I think I can relax about that.

And my mother was all right but she was talking about her house and said she'd been worrying about what happened to all of her things and whether the house was empty or not. This was the thing she was most repetitive about and she must have asked me the same things several times. I'm not sure I allayed her fears. It made me feel a big wiggly. I don't like to think of her sitting there worrying ... makes me think she's actually sad and this is my projection onto her so I need to be careful with that. My brother and I brought her to the store and got her some things for her place and I bought some instant coffee, tea and hot chocolate for when I go there to visit her. I want to create some rituals between us for my visits to her place.
    When we were at the store she wanted a paint by number so I got one too. We were both laughoing about it as I picked a really cheesy dolphin one and she got a farm scene wiht a big rooster in it. We'll do it together unless she does it on her own. So mostly it's all good with her but I guess I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe it's all fine? Hope so.

Anyway I also got to the school and checked in wiht the ceramic room and I stopped in at my alma mater as they had a graduate school fair on and I got some shiny pamphlets about MFA's and MA programs in visual arts. Maybe I'll take a real look at that now.

Anyway food was okay, but it's so obvious to me I need to plan and write things down and I need to say a Big NO to several food items I've been having.

I finished the End of Overeating book. I cannot believe how close to Beck it is! Wow. A great book. I am 3/4 through Brain Rules as well and still just at the beginning of Volumetrics and Thin For Life. I think all these books plus the Beck books are essential reading along with Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food. I feel like I am getting a true education in how to eat and how to see food and how to figure out what is best for me...and then how to stick to it when I decide what my plan is. Interesting.

maryblu Congrats and credit on reaching and surpassing your goal! I love hearing your good news!

to everyone and to the newbies and I have to run.
    bye to all.
  • I succeeded at not eating while standing and, with that, more easily resisted my grazing impulses. Now that I'm not doing it, I realize it's a response to missing being full. I liked that feeling and used to get it several times a day. Now, I get that fullness feeling once a day and not always that. I'm not hungry all that much but I'm not full either. Oh well. I suspect, like cravings, that desire will dissipate over time. A bit of a grieving process in the meantime, though.

WI: -0.35kgs , Exercise: +45, 1191/1200 minutes for September, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: yay for finding a restaurant with appropriately-sized servings

salsa chip:
    welcome! So glad to see you over here.

carla70: that "no eating while standing" rule was more difficult than expected for me, too. But I'm finding several benefits. Most recently, as above, it helps me curb grazing behavior. Also, I've realized that one of the reasons I used to overeat was just to take a break. Well, eating what I planned while sitting down is a break. Particularly the snacks. So, it has reduced my desire to do one of my most damaging behaviors.

kuhljeanie: Yay, jeanie! That sounds like really important mental work. Thanks for modeling it. It seems like some things have to be figured out several times before they really take up residence in the brain.

RobinW: cool about the personal chef! What a clever idea.

onebyone: Sounds like your mother's doing well under the circumstances. Love the idea of the cheesy paint-by-numbers! I'm so glad that you're finding the books helpful. Have I mentioned my 90-book goal here? I set a goal to read 90 books that support my health lifestyle -- one for each pound I want to lose. I've finished nine so far.

Hello to everyone else!
  • Hi All,
    Tracked food, credit. Zumba, credit. Backed away from the pudding parfaits at the cafeteria, credit.

Called to schedule my surgery, and the schedule is full in October and November isn't ready yet. Sigh. Ate junk after work on the way to Zumba which depressed my mood. I am finding though, if I am honest and record all the calories, I feel more in control and less despairing because I've made it quantifiable, and therefore open to modification. At least I'm hoping it is!

Welcome Salsa Chip!

Off to bed.
  • Still hanging in and not much more.

Anne
  • Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm rolling in kind of late tonight and don't have time to do personals but I did pretty well today I think. Had a few cases of the nibbles but nothing too bad. I think I was 100 calories over target.

Read cards - op, Eating - op, Exercise - op, Credit - op, Unplanned Eating - off plan (a few nibbles)

Thanks for letting me account my day.

Be back tomorrow when I have more time and don't have to run off to bed.

Kara
  • Sunday, Monday Report
    I’ve been really tired the last couple of days. I’m guessing the weeks of insomnia followed by an active day on Saturday just caught up with me. But my new allergy med seems to be helping with sleep – although I am up doing this in the middle of the night. Hopefully I won’t repeat this often. But work does seem to be calming down a bit – hopefully it sticks. I took a break after lunch yesterday for a half hour walk, it was nice. In the summer I usually do my walks in the morning when it is cool. In the fall and winter I often move it later in the day to walk when it is warm and sunny. I enjoyed doing that yesterday.
    WI-up 1.1 lbs. Made a plan, read my cards. Food – op, Exercise – op (Sun 48m, Mon 57m).
    Kim (in NH) It’s really cool how you’ve been rethinking your diet from top to bottom. Kudos!

Maryblu I just wanted to say, again, how cool it is you’ve surpassed your goal.

Kara (Walking Princess) We all slip up, oh well… In the second book there’s something called a cheat sheet. You answer a few questions about your mistake and make a mini-plan to help keeing such mistakes from happening again. I think you are reading the first book though and not sure if exactly the same thing is in there. I would recommend taking the time to analyze your mistakes. I’ve found it’s helped me to stop making the same mistake over and over. Well, at least I make them less frequently now.

Re Monday – what a lovely op day – credit!

I’ve been doing beck since the 2nd week of January, this year.

Margaret Great job exercising your resistance muscle against the chocolate bar! I've found another benefit about writing everything down – I can’t lie to myself. I can see when I’m op for calories and when I’m not. Like you said, it does give one a feeling of control…

Robin you are finally feeling better! And that your personal chef shows up for duty.

Salsa chip I think it’s great you are using beck as part of your life overhaul. The skills she teaches are very effective in changing how you approach food and exercise.

Bill Lost Weekend – lol. Did you hallucinate a bat coming out of the wall?

Carla I hope you feel better today. Kudos for working on the eating only when sitting down skill. Seems to be an important one for a lot of folks.

gardenerjoy It’s amazing how important it is to no longer eat standing up. I’ve seen it over and over on this thread. Kudos for recognizing that it’s a good change for you. – I really can’t imagine where I put that neti pot, hmmmm….

Ouch for not feeling full anymore.

Kuhljeanie everything suffers when i don't put my health and weightloss efforts first This was a really tough one for me too. And whenever it stops being #1, everything does suffer. Beck has something in her book about how important it is to be selfish about health/weight loss. Kudos for recognizing all that!

one by one it's so obvious to me I need to plan and write things down and I need to say a Big NO to several food items I've been having – great insights!

Anne Tomorrow is a new day!
  • Welcome Salsa Chip
    salsa chip

And in case you didn't get one of these back in July,

How did you learn about the Beck books?

And how did you find this thread in 3FC?
  • Tuesday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - This weekend I stood before a basket of corn at the farmer's market and decided to pass. Five ears for my week of lunches is just 500 calories of starch. I declared the season over; CREDIT moi. I clearly remember making that decision. Then walked to the next booth and saw the best looking, plump, fresh corn and promptly bought five ears. Oh Well - but not a big deal.

However, later in the supermarket, I saw good looking corn and, remembering my decision not to buy some earlier, bought five ears. Didn't even notice the duplicated purchase until trying to stuff all ten ears into the fridge. So this week has to find a way to consume 1000 calories of extra starch. Yay for the benefits of declining short term memory.

maryblu - Tap... tap ... tap. Waiting for the story of losing past goal.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Kudos for using your car time for useful thinking; and Monster Kudos for winning the round with "planning has to be a non-negotiable." It seems so central to Beck's strategies that "it's so much easier when it's all written down in stone and packed the night before." Yay for rediscovering the path you've been on before.

onebyone - Kudos for having the concept that you want some rituals when visiting your mother. That should work well for her as her thinking fuzzes. I do love the notion of a professional artist with a degree doing paint by numbers, LOL.

Robin (RobinW) - You're generous to take your time to help your friend get past the hurdle of starting his own business. It's easy for me to envision that your calling is nudging small businesses into profitable existence. Maybe you were a Venture Capitalist in a previous life.

Yay for the beginning of the deconstruction of your bathroom. Again, Shudder.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving back. May the stress be low and the bicycle chain oiled. Did you survive your DD's fouth birthday party?

ChinaMaine - Ah, the walks have switched to grab the sun. I enjoy observing the seasonal changes in my walks - that I walk on the sunny side of the street in winter and shady side in the summer and that I delight when I notice that I've switched. Congrats for reaping the benefit of the two weeks of hard work that calmed your work life. Yep, hope it continues.

I had forgotten about the bat coming out of the wall in The Lost Weekend, LOL. Now that would be a good sign to get back to exercising.

Kara (Walking Princess) - Yep, 100 calories over is doing "pretty well."

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for your insight that recording is the first step to change; methinks you're right on with that. Kudos for standing down the pudding parfaits - catchy name that. Again, sending supportive thoughts for getting your surgery date. Seems a bit Catch 22 to be booked in October but not yet accepting bookings for November. Is it like getting tickets to a rock concert where you wait in line all night for the fifteen minute window when tickets are available, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Neat insight that losing the feeling of being full is a loss in need of grieving; haven't heard that before and it makes sense. I distinctly remember feeling full after each of my three meals a day and thinking that that was the norm.

I love your goal of 90 books. I found that reading many, many books was a key part of getting my head around a new life style. I must have read about 20 books about walking, LOL. That really helped me to get into my head that walking was a serious activity that deserved my respect. There are some authors out there with myopic vision on every topic.

Carla (carla70) - Yay for approaching the "start of the path." Yep, that old sitting down to eat is a surprise for being difficult. Ouch that your weekend wasn't as you wanted, but Kudos for simply going forward.

salsa chip - Yay for plunging right into Day 1 with your new Beck book. Kudos for the immediately attacking the number one Sabotaging Thought, "Ah, you don't need to do this step." I went through that with every trivial little strategy at the beginning of Beck's program - too trite to be of value to a person like me. But the most trivial were the ones that were hardest for me to conquer, like sitting down to eat. Bon Voyage for a wonderful journey.

Readers -
    Quote:
    day 1
    Benefits of Weight Loss
    . . .
    It might mean getting back to tennis, golf, dance, or other recreational activities you once liked but now find too physically taxing.
    . . .
    The Beck Diet Solution, pg 56.